• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems Sony Are Fixing The Discount Error For PS+ Plans Upgrading To Extra/Premium/Deluxe [UP: confirmed "technical error"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know, man. How stupid do you have to be to think you'll be able to get away reversing out previous discounts? That's the only doubts I have in my mind about all this. The sheer idiocy of doing this thinking they would get away with it.

In other words, how stupid is Jim Ryan really?

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF
Anything is worth a try I guess. Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

I believe my coding experience. They’ve had to implement this calculation on purpose, you don’t get it automatically.
And with support stuff I am sure it was done on purpose.

Still, really glad they’ve reverted it this fast.
I'm a developer as well.......just because it may have been coded on purpose does not mean it was in the technical design. It's also entirely possible that this test case was missed.
Could it have still been done on purpose? Yeah. But, I don't think looking at the coding confirms a business decision.

xHunter

I believe my coding experience. They’ve had to implement this calculation on purpose, you don’t get it automatically.

They could have also used the active subscriptions price for the calculation. Would make it easier for calculating the upgrade price for the middle tier too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That means shit. Official statement is that it was a mistake and there's nothing you can do about that.

Passive aggressive much ? chill out .. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Customer service is there to answer these kinds of questions and until Sony officially acknowledged it today, that was the closest thing to official communique anyone had.

Last edited:

odhiex

I have never stacked my subscriptions for multi-years, but this is still a good news.

I have subscribed to the PS+ Deluxe a couple days ago until my plan lapsed in November and it was pretty cheap already. The catalog is vast, but of course there are still rooms for improvements (still too early to judge the performance)

We'll see whether Sony will still be doing promo for PS+ during the winter sales or something...lol

Last edited:
I don't know, man. How stupid do you have to be to think you'll be able to get away reversing out previous discounts? That's the only doubts I have in my mind about all this. The sheer idiocy of doing this thinking they would get away with it.

In other words, how stupid is Jim Ryan really?

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF

Bad time to ask where he fits on the scale between PS3 Kaz Hirai and Saturn Bernie Stolar?

PSOne Bernie Stolar wasn't much better.

Shit I keep forgetting he was even there before he went to Sega.

I'll be fair I 100% get Sony. Why would you as Sony expect that your most loyal followers call you out on this? if they never call you out on your other shit

But fans have called them out on other stuff before, like when they wanted to lock HFW out of the free upgrade path after promising it wouldn't require a $10 upgrade fee before. They listen and fix things when there's clearly a mistake.

I don't know where this idea that hardcore fans don't criticize Sony for certain decisions came from :/

Kaz was a legend
tumblr_mhuxxn6zkF1s5o3aso1_400.gif

Was that Don Mattrick? 🤣 C'mon.

Last edited:

cireza

Someone coded by error the fact of making elaborated calculations to ask users to refund the difference in price when converting to the new offer. And the support had, by error, a superbly well detailed answer explaining the process.

This is the kind of error that requires quite a bit of time and people to put in place.

Last edited:
Someone coded by error the fact of making elaborated calculations to ask users to refund the difference in price when converting to the new offer. And the support had, by error, a superbly well detailed answer explaining the process.

This is the kid of error that requires quite a bit of time and people to put in place.
Support just fell on their keyboard and it was a coincidental series of keys pressed that formed that response. The person who coded the ‘error’ fell too. Coincidence.

He was responsible for the "Five Star" approval process, aka the "2D ban" that lasted until at least 1997 and kept stuff like Arc the Lad from coming over at launch.

Had a similar policy with Saturn too when it came to JRPGs IIRC. And can't forget "Saturn is not our future". 🤦‍♂️

Must've really sucked for hardcore fans at the time. Glad I was a dumb little youth ignorant to it all, just playing my Genesis and bumming around to arcades and friend houses for PS1 :)

Support just fell on their keyboard and it was a coincidental series of keys pressed that formed that response. The person who coded the ‘error’ fell too. Coincidence.

You guys aren't gonna let this go, are you?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Okay good. Technical error was the most likely thing with $1000+ upgrades. I was worried they wouldn't be able to fix it fast, though.
I mean, this will definitely help. But $1,000+ upgrades are still going to be a thing if you have more than 16 years of PS+ stacked presently.

Had a similar policy with Saturn too when it came to JRPGs IIRC. And can't forget "Saturn is not our future". 🤦‍♂️

Must've really sucked for hardcore fans at the time. Glad I was a dumb little youth ignorant to it all, just playing my Genesis and bumming around to arcades and friend houses for PS1 :)

You guys aren't gonna let this go, are you?
Just a bit of fun. Sorry, I won’t tease poor Sony anymore.

ANIMAL1975

I have Now stacked until April 2025 and PS+ until August 2025.
Happy All Good GIF by Outside TV
Dude, i only stacked Now and got both (Now converts to premium) my life's goodier

Please go into the PAL version PS classics thread and talk, I need to know what to expect on that one, already lived a couple decades in the PAL hell, don’t need any more of that.
Obviously another stupid mistake, how could the ps classics on Asia store be the pal version lol,.... On the other hand let's pray that they're not there because were meant for us 😂

It’s official:

Lies all lies.....

I'll be fair I 100% get Sony. Why would you as Sony expect that your most loyal followers call you out on this? if they never call you out on your other shit

"technical error" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s about PAL versions on PS classics, it’s still not corrected, it hurts to highlight bad things on something you love but sometimes it’s needed and it’s better to highlight the issue now than later. Hoping DF and NX could help out on that one!
Oh yes, times are tough.
One thread is not enough.

Topher

Gold Member
How would this be a coded mistake. You had to purposely look at what the user paid instead of just doing an automatic conversation. What Sony did added extra complexity.

The code would do that in some manner regardless. The code has to determine if the person is currently paying monthly, quarterly, or yearly. If they did that by examining the last payment made then it could cause a problem like this. I wouldn't be surprised. This is the same company that had issues creating a way for gamers to change their username.

I mean, this will definitely help. But $1,000+ upgrades are still going to be a thing if you have more than 16 years of PS+ stacked presently.

Someone stacking that far out should probably have a psychiatrist assigned to them tbh

It’s about PAL versions on PS classics, it’s still not corrected, it hurts to highlight bad things on something you love but sometimes it’s needed and it’s better to highlight the issue now than later. Hoping DF and NX could help out on that one!

Yeah I do hope the PAL versions of 1P PS1 games are NTSC instead for this territory, but yurinka yurinka had a good post in that thread about why they are likely using the PAL versions. Plus, if they hack those to run at higher framerate, you still get that on top of better res upscaling (since the PAL versions had a higher resolution than NTSC versions) and more language support.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just want MP atm. Have to look up their tiers

Same goes for Xbox, they're still figuring out their combined services, right?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Passive aggressive much ? chill out .. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Customer service is there to answer these kinds of questions and until Sony officially acknowledged it today, that was the closest thing to official communique anyone had.
Just spilling the T.
How would this be a coded mistake. You had to purposely look at what the user paid instead of just doing an automatic conversation. What Sony did added extra complexity.
The code would do that in some manner regardless. The code has to determine if the person is currently paying monthly, quarterly, or yearly. If they did that by examining the last payment made then it could cause a problem like this. I wouldn't be surprised. This is the same company that had issues creating a way for gamers to change their username.

Fredrik

Yeah I do hope the PAL versions of 1P PS1 games are NTSC instead for this territory, but yurinka yurinka had a good post in that thread about why they are likely using the PAL versions. Plus, if they hack those to run at higher framerate, you still get that on top of better res upscaling (since the PAL versions had a higher resolution than NTSC versions) and more language support.
Yeah we’ll see, I pray they sort it out somehow. It’s harder to get some noise on that thing though, with this PS+ conversion mess tons of loyal fans had enough too and I’m sure those are the heroes here, it stings to listen to disappointed fans. But PS1 games are kinda niche in comparison to PS+ and I don’t know if everyone even know what PAL and NTSC is, it’s been a long time since that was a real problem.

Edit: Sorry to go off topic!

Last edited:

Chukhopops

But the system then used that purchase price, added it to the normal upgrade price and used it for the billing when upgrading? It’s not like the purchase price was simply used to determine somehow the eligibility or payment frequency.

And all this code was made as an accident?

There’s no dev in the world who would design something like that accidentally. It’s waaay more work than simply looking at the current tier and expiration date.

Topher

Gold Member
But the system then used that purchase price, added it to the normal upgrade price and used it for the billing when upgrading? It’s not like the purchase price was simply used to determine somehow the eligibility or payment frequency.

And all this code was made as an accident?

There’s no dev in the world who would design something like that accidentally. It’s waaay more work than simply looking at the current tier and expiration date.

No dev would design it like that in purpose, but after over 20 years as a software developer I can say I’ve seen worse. Just two days ago I tried to add funds to my PSN account on playstation.com and all I got was errors. Did it on the console and no problem. I’d bet the folks who tried to upgrade were on the website. That thing is a shitshow.

Not saying that is what happened but it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom