• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro is TGA's 2019 GOTY

Eh I'm okay with it. Glad to see gameplay beating walking sims just like last year when gow won over rdr2. This year was quite filled with souls-like games; Sekiro, Code Vein, Ashen, The Surge 2, etc. No reason to stop now.

SleepDoctor

Banned
ibnS39k.gif

Fuck that dude... seriously tho fuck him lol

SleepDoctor

Banned
Was a great experience although it's funny that this wins when Bloodborne was robbed all those years ago despite being a far superior game.

I still have the parry pattern for him etched into my memory.

Bloodborne is my exclusive game of the gen.

I have to go back to finish Sekiro. I got stuck somewhere and just said "i need a break" lol.

jadefire66

I'm really surprised they gave GOTY to a game that actually deserved it lol. Was expecting some walking sim with politics to win it. Personally I beat it 4 times and it was pretty damn good (but not that great), definitely better than any other game this year.

DelireMan7

I can't really judge as Sekiro is the only game, out of the nominees, I have played but I wouldn't have vote for it. It's good but not in a "GOTY" level for me.

However congratulations to FromSoftware ! I can't wait to see/hear more about Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I think the souls games are better but I enjoyed my time in the game. The genichiro fights were my favorite parts of the game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Well deserved. Didn't think it was gonna win. I loved Sekiro from start to finish, superb combat, never seen anything quite like it. Beating Sword Saint Isshin was the highlight of the Year. Bosses in this game were spectacular,

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't know if I can survive another round of 'every game should have an easy mode' articles. It was stupefying to realize how many video game professionals understand game design so little that they couldn't comprehend how designing a game around multiple difficulties fundamentally alters and neuters its experience.

Yeah if someone isn't skilled enough they shouldn't be allowed to play the $60 game they bought.

God help someone who just wants to be entertained with an entertainment product.

Plus you do realize if a game is so hard for someone they can't play it, playing at a lower difficulty would still represent a challenge for them.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah if someone isn't skilled enough they shouldn't be allowed to play the $60 game they bought.

You do realise that buying a game is not like one of the basic inalienable human rights, don’t you? It is a gamble by the publisher when they do aim at a more restricted audience, but it can also pay off as people admire the focused and pervasive design choice. Games are not just mindless entertainment products.

Plus you do realize if a game is so hard for someone they can't play it, playing at a lower difficulty would still represent a challenge for them.

Sure, but it can complicate game design and be either a shitty hastily designed god mode under a different name or siphon resources away from the main game design and end up constraining it.
Kind of the same reason why most Nintendo games do not have difficulty settings.

Hostile_18

Banned
You do realise that buying a game is not like one of the basic inalienable human rights, don’t you? It is a gamble by the publisher when they do aim at a more restricted audience, but it can also pay off as people admire the focused and pervasive design choice. Games are not just mindless entertainment products.

Sure, but it can complicate game design and be either a shitty hastily designed god mode under a different name or siphon resources away from the main game design and end up constraining it.
Kind of the same reason why most Nintendo games do not have difficulty settings.

I've played and beaten some tough games in my time and never once thought "I wish this was the only mode there was so other people can't enjoy it". It literally takes nothing away from me I'f someone wants to play an easy mode. It's not like theres a warning on the box saying this game can only be enjoyed by a few (because it would be marketing suicide).

I will never believe game design can't be altered to be more accessible. As game design challenges go that's an easy one tbh. Right off the top of my head and I'm not a dev what about the player having 50% more health, everything else the same? That 50% extra for a less skilled player will offer exactly the same challenge that a skilled player is experiencing.

Honestly it feels like it comes down to elitism. Nothing is lost to the hardcore player.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Right off the top of my head and I'm not a dev what about the player having 50% more health, everything else the same? That 50% extra for a less skilled player will offer exactly the same challenge that a skilled player is experiencing.
Not every game needs to be made everyone, developers should be free to make what they want to make. Sekiro design this way it’s because that how they want it. You more than free not to like it and I’m more than free to like and support it and guess what Sekiro still sold well and lots people loved despite of other people asking for easier difficulty.

Last edited:
I've played and beaten some tough games in my time and never once thought "I wish this was the only mode there was so other people can't enjoy it". It literally takes nothing away from me I'f someone wants to play an easy mode. It's not like theres a warning on the box saying this game can only be enjoyed by a few (because it would be marketing suicide).

I will never believe game design can't be altered to be more accessible. As game design challenges go that's an easy one tbh. Right off the top of my head and I'm not a dev what about the player having 50% more health, everything else the same? That 50% extra for a less skilled player will offer exactly the same challenge that a skilled player is experiencing.

Honestly it feels like it comes down to elitism. Nothing is lost to the hardcore player.

It's a complicated argument actually. I think some of the best games ever made have no difficulty settings. Games like the other Dark Souls games or the Metroid franchise, games where you can just overpower/overlevel yourself if you choose to and come back to an engagement. Even Sekiro has branching paths so if one way is too difficult you can try the other. My problem with Sekiro is I'm not the biggest fan of rhythm based combat, I view action games like I do shooters, I prefer the challenge comes from strategy/planning and stuff like that and not how well I time my reflexes. Some people love that sort of difficulty that's based on how well you can hit a button exactly when you need to but for me it really limits things. Like you could play Dark Souls perfectly timing parries/blocks/etc. but I beat every Dark Souls without using shields or parries, in fact Bloodborne is the only one I parried in but attaching the mechanic to a gun made it easier to get used to as you didn't need to judge your distance to the target.

Part of the problem with asking for an easy mode is how they go about implementing such a mode and how much dev time it takes up to do so. One of my biggest gripes with Sekiro is having to re-stealth the same section over and over to re-fight a boss. If it had something like Dark Souls 2's mechanic of enemies being exhausted after so many deaths it'd greatly help someone like me because honestly there isn't challenge in re-doing a section I've aced it just causes tedium and makes it more of a chore to retry a boss I'm failing at. Of course they have no actual onus upon them to give you or me an easier mode but there have been well revered games in the past that down the line made changes to their difficulty, like Devil May Cry 3's release version, despite widespread acclaim, is considered to have broken difficulty and a re-release dealt with that. The thing with Sekiro is it seems agreed upon that it will eventually CLICK with a player if they keep going, there isn't an argument that anything is broken, even my own argument is down to finding re-doing stealth tedious and rhythm based gaming more of a chore to deal with. I plan to return to it when my patience is better, tbh and while I don't feel they need to change anything I'd welcome an update that does something like allows mobs to exhaust.

xrnzaaas

I'm not a Souls guy, but I really enjoyed Sekiro, especially for forcing you to master its mechanics. I remember spending 3 or 4 hours on that one rooftop boss before I got gud and were able to continue with the story. While it's not my goty I'm okay with the fact that it won. :)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't know if I can survive another round of 'every game should have an easy mode' articles. It was stupefying to realize how many video game professionals understand game design so little that they couldn't comprehend how designing a game around multiple difficulties fundamentally alters and neuters its experience.
Vg journalist are usually shit at playing games, so it wasn't really a surprise tbh.

GymWolf

It’s easy once you know what to do, when I started the game I died 100 time to that guy.
Even without fire, i find him really easy, his attacck are slows and you can play like souls avoiding him and not parrying him (if you are bad at parrying).
Also no ranged attack from him.

Nowhere near the hardesrt fights in sekiro.

i avoided this game for the same reason why I ignored Dark Souls for 3 years (I eventually went on to beat it)

I didn't want to pay my hard earned money to be frustrated for hours and have a stroke

is this game beatable if you've beaten Dark Souls 1 or is it much harder than that game?

Last edited:

bigol

Still people don't understand Sekiro was never meant to be an RPG like every Souls game before it. It's not even a souls-like depite the combat being similar to those games.

I really hope it will continue to be FromSoftware's take on action games and will have a sequel. Want a pure souls-like game? Elden Ring is for you, just don't be unfair to Sekiro expecting it to be something else it never even wanted to be.

Congrats to Fromsoftware and Miyazaki, to me easily the best software house this whole decade.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Even without fire, i find him really easy, his attacck are slows and you can play like souls avoiding him and not parrying him (if you are bad at parrying).
Also no ranged attack from him.

Nowhere near the hardesrt fights in sekiro.
I’m not saying it’s as hardest fight but just like Cleric Beast in Bloodborne it’s the boss that will hard time for most people who first start this game.

i avoided this game for the same reason why I ignored Dark Souls for 3 years (I eventually went on to beat it)

I didn't want to pay my hard earned money to be frustrated for hours and have a stroke

is this game beatable if you've beaten Dark Souls 1 or is it much harder than that game?
My skill in games as normal as you can get and manage to beat it and get platinum trophy. Its more than beatable.

Hostile_18

Banned
Not every game needs to be made everyone, developers should be free to make what they want to make. Sekiro design this way it’s because that how they want it. You more than free not to like it and I’m more than free to like and support it and guess what Sekiro still sold well and lots people loved despite of other people asking for easier difficulty.

See I agree every game isn't for everyone in terms of content (just like a movie) but everyone should be able to experience said content if they want to IMO. I bet theres loads of copies of Sekiro sitting around where people havent got past the first boss.

I cant help but feel it's the players that are good enough to play this game that are telling others they shouldn't be able to.

I love Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne etc (I beat them all) and really wanted to like this but dying 80 odd times in a boss isn't fun for me. I think I could do it if I dedicated hundreds of hours to it but I dont want to do that, it's simply not fun. Gutted a game I wanted to play and paid for cant be played by me (past the first 10 or 20%). Its even more frustrating because I know I'd enjoy it alot more at a bit of a relaxed (but still difficult) pace.

GymWolf

I’m not saying it’s as hardest fight but just like Cleric Beast in Bloodborne it’s the boss that will hard time for most people who first start this game.

My skill in games as normal as you can get and manage to beat it and get platinum trophy. Its more than beatable.
Cleric beast was so much harder for me, i died like 10 times or more against that hairy cunt :ROFLMAO:

Hostile_18

Banned

I would say its dependant on the person. I've beaten all the previous game, every Uncharted on crushing (no tweaks), Last of us on Grounded and Sekiro is just too hard for me. It's all about twitch based reflexes.

Still people don't understand Sekiro was never meant to be an RPG like every Souls game before it. It's not even a souls-like depite the combat being similar to those games.

I really hope it will continue to be FromSoftware's take on action games and will have a sequel. Want a pure souls-like game? Elden Ring is for you, just don't be unfair to Sekiro expecting it to be something else it never even wanted to be.

Congrats to Fromsoftware and Miyazaki, to me easily the best software house this whole decade.

Seems like a straw man directed at no one.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I need to go back. I got stuck fighting this ogre mf that is in the fog and teleports, meanwhile im moving in slow motion. Rage inducing like a mf lol

Danjin44

See I agree every game isn't for everyone in terms of content (just like a movie) but everyone should be able to experience said content if they want to IMO.
let me ask you this, i don’t like simulation gameplay I guess game sim line gameplay should take those parts to make me happy? No! That’s not how this works, you can’t take key feature on a game to make other people who never interested in those type of games in the first place. We have 1000 up on 1000 games with difficulty options, what’s wrong for some games who doesn’t have it? You more than free experience Sekiro, I have average skill in games and I mange to enjoy it some people don’t have patience and that’s okay, not every game needs to for everyone.

Seems like a straw man directed at no one.
Not really, 90% of the complains I hear for Sekiro is “why this game is not like Souls” when the game clearly is not trying to be like Souls. You like Souls games more then that okay but you can’t fault this for that. It’s like people complain why Catherine is not turn based RPG like Persona.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
let me ask you this, i don’t like simulation gameplay I guess game sim line gameplay should take those parts to make me happy? No! That’s not how this works, you can’t take key feature on a game to make other people who never interested in those type of games in the first place. We have 1000 up on 1000 games with difficulty options, what’s wrong for some games who doesn’t have it? You more than free experience Sekiro, I have average skill in games and I mange to enjoy it some people don’t have patience and that’s okay, not every game needs to for everyone.

My position is if you WANTED to play a flight simulator game you should be able to enjoy that content that you paid for i.e a novice mode etc.

Like your actively campaigning that people who arnt skilled enough shouldn't be able to enjoy certain games. I completely disagree but that's cool :)

Danjin44

My position is if you WANTED to play a flight simulator game you should be able to enjoy that content that you paid for i.e a novice mode etc.

Like your actively campaigning that people who arnt skilled enough shouldn't be able to enjoy certain games. I completely disagree but that's cool :)
I’m honestly not skilled player, I’m just very stubborn.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
Nice. I'd personally pick Sekiro, DMC5, or REmake 2, with honorable mentions going to Outer Worlds and Bloodstained.

I actually waited until now to play Sekiro because near the beginning of the year I was almost broke and could only afford either DMC5 or Sekiro. I couldn't wait any longer for a new DMC but I'm glad I spaced out playing them anyways; bookending the year with two top notch action games has been a rare treat.

Maybe i was imagining things when i read 90% of people complaining they didn't like it because it didn't have weapon variety like a Souls game, builds variety like a Souls game, items variety like a Souls game and so on.

You said people STILL don't get it, though, what were you referring to? I'm not saying no one has ever critiqued it for expectations it'd be a certain way but you came into the thread like it was currently happening. I like it better when people speak plain and address the people they mean and the actual arguments they mean. Otherwise what does their argument even mean? I'm also not sure anyone would be unfounded to dislike a game in comparison to another game, everything is relative.

Freeman76

Man I so wanted to play this game, but it was too fuckin hard for my old ass, my reactions are shot to shit from years of smoking weed i think. Souls games were fine because I could summon helpers, but there is no hiding in this one and I got owned very early on :(

bigol

You said people STILL don't get it, though, what were you referring to? I'm not saying no one has ever critiqued it for expectations it'd be a certain way but you came into the thread like it was currently happening. I like it better when people speak plain and address the people they mean and the actual arguments they mean. Otherwise what does their argument even mean? I'm also not sure anyone would be unfounded to dislike a game in comparison to another game, everything is relative.

Hmm, so just directed at you?

You wrote this

Just a weird choice to me when the game alienates even long time From fans.

The alienated long time From fans you are talking about are people that wanted Sekiro to be just like Demon's Souls, DS1, DS2, DS3, Bloodborne.

Top Bottom