• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Fbh

Have there been any tech updates on this?

As usual I'm torn between getting this for my Pro or for my laptop (which only has a 1050ti). On the one hand I've played all Souls games on Ps3/Ps4 so FROM games sort of feel at home there. But maybe I'll get slightly better framerate on the laptop (at 1080p)?

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned

As usual I'm torn between getting this for my Pro or for my laptop (which only has a 1050ti). On the one hand I've played all Souls games on Ps3/Ps4 so FROM games sort of feel at home there. But maybe I'll get slightly better framerate on the laptop (at 1080p)?

Not to mention other graphical options unavailable in console versions.

RedVIper

Banned

If you had the base PS4 you probably could do better. But on a laptop with a 1050ti the Pro will most likely outperform it.

Fbh

Let’s go baby!

So in terms of performance:
Pro and X both run with an uncapped framerate that mostly seems to sit in the high 30's and mid 40's. Pro has the better framerate on average but the One X has a special mode where if used on a 120hz display the image might actually seem smoother.
Base consoles run at 30fps with good ol' framepacing issues. So while on paper a 30fps cap might sound better than an unlocked framerate, in practice it ends up feeling worse.

cireza

Let’s go baby!
This is awful. How can a developer that has sold so many games still release games with such shitty performance in 2019. Games are not event that impressive, they are basically a big static world and some enemies. Sometimes a boss.

They really need to improve a lot on the technical aspect of their games. Offering a 1080p@60fps option is a no brainer for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, so why isn't it there ?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Not for me? Sais "not available in youre country" when I switch with VPN to Japan? I'm in Sweden btw....

Sad to hear. Yeah different countries probably do it differently. Using f-secure freedome free trial in US here.

Last edited:

Aja

Neo Member
Sad to hear. Yeah different countries probably do it differently US here.

Seems people who bought it from GMG can't activate it with the VPN method (me included). Weird but hey. I'll survive another day! Havbe fun in the game lucky you!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So in terms of performance:
Pro and X both run with an uncapped framerate that mostly seems to sit in the high 30's and mid 40's. Pro has the better framerate on average but the One X has a special mode where if used on a 120hz display the image might actually seem smoother.
Base consoles run at 30fps with good ol' framepacing issues. So while on paper a 30fps cap might sound better than an unlocked framerate, in practice it ends up feeling worse.
Why not give us a locked 30 option? I never understood the benefit of an uncapped FR that never even gets close to 60.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Well none Denuvo games are cracked in like 10 seconds lol, its simply a case of adding a Steamdll to the file.

I know it easy, I'm pretty sure most scene groups have the process automated. Just found it funny that the game is unreleased in most of the world, so the best option to play the game right now for most people is piracy.

Ellis

A expected, poor frame pacing is also an issue when locking the PC version to 30fps.

Going to mess around with other methods to see if I can get it a little better, or cross my fingers and try stretching for 60.

Stuart360

A expected, poor frame pacing is also an issue when locking the PC version to 30fps.

Going to mess around with other methods to see if I can get it a little better, or cross my fingers and try stretching for 60.
Ellis just a trick i have found through testing games over the years. Turn vsync off ingame, go to Nvidia control panel (or AMD version), and select 'half rate vsync', and then (and this is important) run Afterburner in the background and set its framerate cap to 31, it has to be 31.
Using this method can produce a perfectly 'console like' 30fps. It doesnt work in every game as some PC games just hate 30fps but it does work in most of the games i have tried.

Fbh

Out of curiosity what hardware do you have and what FPS are you getting?

Why not give us a locked 30 option? I never understood the benefit of an uncapped FR that never even gets close to 60.

Yeah, at least giving the option to lock to 30fps would be nice.
Also with an uncapped framerate they should give the option to lock things to 1080p instead of forcing 1800p as it might help with the framerate.

Anyway, according to the Digital Foundry guy the uncapped version still feels smoother than the 30fps option due to framepacing though I guess at that point it's really down to personal opinion.
To be fair, while some didn't like it I did find the patched version of Dark Souls 3 on pro to feel better than the 30fps option

Last edited:

Ellis

Ellis just a trick i have found through testing games over the years. Turn vsync off ingame, go to Nvidia control panel (or AMD version), and select 'half rate vsync', and then (and this is important) run Afterburner in the background and set its framerate cap to 31, it has to be 31.
Using this method can produce a perfectly 'console like' 30fps. It doesnt work in every game as some PC games just hate 30fps but it does work in most of the games i have tried.
I have been using Afterburner and Control Panel vsync override for years but I could never get Half Refresh Adaptive Sync to work. Then again, I am certain that I have never tried capping it to 31. Always 30.

I will most definitely try 31 in a bit. Thanks.

Out of curiosity what hardware do you have and what FPS are you getting?

i5 2400, 4G GTX 960, 16GB DDR4, Sandisk something SSD.

1080p with all settings at their highest was getting me around 45-50fps, but I only tested that for a very short amount of time before capping to 30. Will test more and try going for 60 later.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
Ah, my 1080ti will more than crank out this game on ultra settings, 4K/60FPS.
I just have to wait till midnight tonight.
:messenger_persevering:

Shifty

I have been using Afterburner and Control Panel vsync override for years but I could never get Half Refresh Adaptive Sync to work. Then again, I am certain that I have never tried capping it to 31. Always 30.

I will most definitely try 31 in a bit. Thanks.
Have you tried using RivaTuner Statistics Server for framerate capping? In my experience its implementation coupled with vsync off results in the smoothest frame-pacing for any given game.

I believe they also added a new feature lately that allows you to define where onscreen (or offscreen!) the vsync tear line will happen, so you get a lot of control over the game's render timing.

If that doesn't work, pray for salvation Durante.

Last edited:

Ellis

Have you tried using RivaTuner Statistics Server for framerate capping? In my experience its implementation coupled with vsync off results in the smoothest frame-pacing for any given game.

I believe they also added a new feature lately that allows you to define where onscreen (or offscreen!) the vsync tear line will happen, so you get a lot of control over the game's render timing.

If that doesn't work, pray for salvation Durante.

Indeed, that is what I meant by saying Afterburner, as they can come as a pair ;)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
played about 45 mins worth. it is pretty awesome! tbh there is a lot of mainstream games stuff in this that probably will get on some nerves lol. lots of button prompts, tutorial dialog windows and stuff, where in the Souls games you are just dumped into this world w some advice scrawled on the floor in the corner of the room. thankfully no floating waypoints =) there are button prompts when you are on a ledge, there are enemy gauges showing you awareness for stealth sections, but those only help the gameplay. but def not a Souls game in these aspects. but that's fine. as they are willing to try new things & change for new games, that's only for the better.

Got past the intro (I think? Or maybe I’m still in it).

1440p, 60fps lock, all settings High except textures and lighting set to Ultra

i7-4960x and 1070ti

Hasn’t dipped below 60 once. Feels fantastic with my XBone S controller. No micro stutters or anything.

I’ll try everything at ultra and see if it dips below 60. Feels like I have a lot of headroom as is so should be fine

Combat is very satisfying. I think it looks very nice.

I feel greatness here. Going through Ashina Outskirts now. Everything feels great so far early on

Last edited:
Got past the intro (I think? Or maybe I’m still in it).

1440p, 60fps lock, all settings High except textures and lighting set to Ultra

i7-4960x and 1070ti

Hasn’t dipped below 60 once. Feels fantastic with my XBone S controller. No micro stutters or anything.

I’ll try everything at ultra and see if it dips below 60. Feels like I have a lot of headroom as is so should be fine

Combat is very satisfying. I think it looks very nice.

I feel greatness here. Going through Ashina Outskirts now. Everything feels great so far early on
Excellent, thanks.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Very unimpressive and bland (art, design, visual complexity of the world, environments etc.) looking game even when it all maxed on PC and which also lack any kind of modern atmospheric effects and lighting. I'd say this game is straight from 2012-2013 at best and looks like a very late X360 game - Dark Souls 3 or even Nioh looks much better imho, even character models and faces are better in Nioh. Granted, performance is amazing (which is not surprising at all) - 1080p 60 all maxed and with max SSAA. Probably will run on a potato PC as well.

I'm running the game on i7-4790K, 1080Ti, 16GB RAM.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok yeah this looks pretty damn awesome.

I’ll definitely get it but I got my hands full with Division 2 right now and then Days Gone.

This could be a perfect Summer drought title.

Ellis

Very unimpressive and bland (art, design, visual complexity of the world, environments etc.) looking game even when it all maxed on PC and which also lack any kind of modern atmospheric effects and lighting. I'd say this game is straight from 2012-2013 at best and looks like a very late X360 game - Dark Souls 3 or even Nioh looks much better imho, even character models and faces are better in Nioh. Granted, performance is amazing (which is not surprising at all) - 1080p 60 all maxed and with max SSAA. Probably will run on a potato PC as well.

I'm running the game on i7-4790K, 1080Ti, 16GB RAM.

tenor.gif

I’m not gonna sit here and say it looks fantastic but I think it looks nice and is well designed. Performance is great and mechanics feel natural. Stealth and verticality are welcome additions

Ok yeah this looks pretty damn awesome.

I’ll definitely get it but I got my hands full with Division 2 right now and then Days Gone.

This could be a perfect Summer drought title.

This and Div2 will own my soul until Days Gone.

And thus we have balance ⚖️

I’m impressed with the game, not so much strictly the graphics

Maybe I’m just a From fanboy. Looks sharp at 1440p and runs smooth as silk

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
spent 30 minutes or so dying over and over trying to fight this one general. he has two death spots (or whatever) so you have to use 2 critical attacks on him, and i could barely get it to 1. so i started exploring the area and found i could use the level to sneak up from behind, giving me the advantage.

damn this was an epic boss-level battle and i bet this guy is just a standard enemy fight. this game's going to have some intense battles.

Put everything on ultra and still no dips below 60.

About two hours now and I’m getting hang of combat. Had to reprogram my muscle memory a little.

This is a good game.

spent 30 minutes or so dying over and over trying to fight this one general. he has two death spots (or whatever) so you have to use 2 critical attacks on him, and i could barely get it to 1. so i started exploring the area and found i could use the level to sneak up from behind, giving me the advantage.

damn this was an epic boss-level battle and i bet this guy is just a standard enemy fight. this game's going to have some intense battles.

Think I just passed the same part. Was a fun fight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom