• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

3916402-matrixneo.jpg
That’s not a game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Now you're quoting yourself. I dont see the downgrade. The model and textures looks great. They are different fron the initial video but outside that the lighting and scene are drastically different. Again you might want to wait for more details to come out before claiming a downgrade.
Because you're not paying attention.

You don't see it, but I'll tag you if Digital Foundry does a comparison between the two trailers just to tell you that I told you so.

As a WHOLE..Yes... Keanus model is better and the Matrix awakens demo is CGI quality also.
Mentioned before but there's too much lens fuckery in the demo. It is impressive and definitely screams Next Gen but the IMO overuse of certain things like lens blur and chromatic abberation takes away from the visual flair.
There was none of this present in the first Hellblade 2 trailer which to this day is the most impressive graphics I've seen alongside the Matrix Awakens.

Look at that fucking forehead vein just popping out of her skull. What are the chances she's chanting to reduce the inflammation of her hemorrhoids so she can take a shit?
WCCFsenuassagahellblade21.jpg

VS

Less detail in her face. Forehead vein? Might be lighting here but the above image is better than this one. Not by much but there's a difference for sure.
Hellblade-2-Gameplay.jpg

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I really wanted to buy a black obelisk, but this also comes to PC. Who understands MS' motivation these days...
The team behind the game is good, the amateur babe playing the protagonist is talented, though I hope - judging by the facial expressions - they won't emphasize the girl's mental retardedness too much. It's a bit cringey.

LiquidRex

Mentioned before but there's too much lens fuckery in the demo. It is impressive and definitely screams Next Gen but the IMO overuse of certain things like lens blur and chromatic abberation takes away from the visual flair.
There was none of this present in the first Hellblade 2 trailer which to this day is the most impressive graphics I've seen alongside the Matrix Awakens.

Look at that fucking forehead vein just popping out of her skull. What are the chances she's chanting to reduce the inflammation of her hemorrhoids so she can take a shit?

VS

Less detail in her face. Forehead vein? Might be lighting here but the above image is better than this one. Not by much but there's a difference for sure.
Hellblade-2-Gameplay.jpg
Aren't they both from the same scene, it's a shame they didn't keep the same esthetics too, look how different the war paint on her face has changed, and her apparel.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The gameplay style of Hellblade 2 will be very similar to the gameplay structure of The Order 1886.
Cinematic cutscenes with spurts of gameplay.

I don't mind the comparison at all but to me they are not very similar. IIRC Hellblade had no camera cuts nor qte driven gameplay. You are in control of the character most of the time in a mix of walking simulator exploration, combat and puzzles, but with spurts of cinematic feeling sequences and dialogue to break it up and to drive the mental issues narrative.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Are you taking my comment as an insult? Idk why people get so sensitive nowadays. It's not meant as an insult, I loved The Order 1886. The cinematic structure with dabs of gameplay mechanics is what we should expect. Is that a bad thing?
Maybe. Order 1886 was basic and mediocre. Only one title came from that. HB is on its 2nd title. The devs house is still open too. Not a roast. Just stating the facts.

Bases on the pedigree of the developer, I'd say HBII has a much bigger chance of success.

My question is: why you trying to throw curses on Hellblade, bro? 1886 sucked all kinds of ass. HB deserves much better luck

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I hope - judging by the facial expressions - they won't emphasize the girl's mental retardedness too much. It's a bit cringey.

You should go tell one of NT's psychosis experts consultants like professor Fletcher, I'm sure he's going to agree that they should tone down Senuas psychosis to your recommended non-cringy levels. It's not like they been awarded by how they depicted mental illness or anything..

WitchHunter

Banned
You should go tell one of NT's psychosis experts consultants like professor Fletcher, I'm sure he's going to agree that they should tone down Senuas psychosis to your recommended non-cringy levels. It's not like they been awarded by how they depicted mental illness or anything..
I don't care who the chipmunk with 55 phds said what. I liked the first game and it was aok in every aspect and also advised by professionals. So what are you talking about?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

VS

Hellblade-2-Gameplay.jpg

Here's the 2019 trailer where it's at its brightest.

There's no way the 2021 gameplay trailer has this much level of detail on the character model.
tCs2m7N.png

Every bit of detail is of the highest quality. From the skin texture to the clothing texture and the antialiasing on the hair follicles.
nkjvicx.png

Every time she makes any type of facial expression in the 2019 trailer, her muscles react. Some of this can be done in cutscenes, but you would need a high-quality character model to make it look this great in an actual game.
yEmSQIU.png

Her veins and scars are visible, but its harder to make out due to the lower quality model compared to the 2019 trailer.

If you view the image at full screen, you can see that the texture quality is lower and the eyelashes/hair strains are not nearly as clean as the 2019 trailer
X46ZMU6.png

I downloaded both trailers at 4K and took screenshots. The facial texture and detail are clearly lower. If the level of detail was the same but the lighting was different, then the texture wouldn't be lower in resolution in comparison.
TuJqgBs.png

I'm not saying you think it's the same, but I'm just adding to the fact that the 2019 and 2021 level of detail is not on the same level. That's to be expected since the first trailer was not running real-time on the Xbox hardware.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I still think you guys are underrating the sheer artistry of all the Hellblade 2 footage and putting too much stock in it being all about the tech.

Just consider what's on screen, and possibly more importantly what's not on screen. Because if you do that you'll realize how much thought has gone into crafting the visual experience economically.

For example, just take the environment which I think looks super convincing by video game standards. Yes its very detailed, but there's no vegetation. Its all very monochromatic and sparsely detailed* but the specular from the wetness lit by torchlight really makes it pop. Basically every choice tends to lean towards things that the tech can do convincingly, and away from the sort of thing that is expensive or prone to looking videogamey fake.

Everything is very carefully lit and framed for maximum impact and the heavy full screen grading completes the illusion.

The point I'm getting at is it technically good, but artistically its great. Its the product of a whole bunch of smart choices and trade-offs.

*I mean in terms of variety, not texture density. Its all volcanic rock, dirt and pebbles. Its a very static environment.

I still think you guys are underrating the sheer artistry of all the Hellblade 2 footage and putting too much stock in it being all about the tech.

Just consider what's on screen, and possibly more importantly what's not on screen. Because if you do that you'll realize how much thought has gone into crafting the visual experience economically.

For example, just take the environment which I think looks super convincing by video game standards. Yes its very detailed, but there's no vegetation. Its all very monochromatic and sparsely detailed* but the specular from the wetness lit by torchlight really makes it pop. Basically every choice tends to lean towards things that the tech can do convincingly, and away from the sort of thing that is expensive or prone to looking videogamey fake.

Everything is very carefully lit and framed for maximum impact and the heavy full screen grading completes the illusion.

The point I'm getting at is it technically good, but artistically its great. Its the product of a whole bunch of smart choices and trade-offs.

*I mean in terms of variety, not texture density. Its all volcanic rock, dirt and pebbles. Its a very static environment.
Tell me more arm chair developer. Ninja 🥷 theory is great at this type of tech they’ve been doing it since heavenly sword. This is their Vision why the tin foil hat that they’re creating this because they’re masking tech limitations ? Also this is one of the first games we are seeing thats built for just next generation from first party.

T0minator

I don't mind the comparison at all but to me they are not very similar. IIRC Hellblade had no camera cuts nor qte driven gameplay. You are in control of the character most of the time in a mix of walking simulator exploration, combat and puzzles, but with spurts of cinematic feeling sequences and dialogue to break it up and to drive the mental issues narrative.
I meant mainly the presentation.. the black bars...high chromatic aberration and other filmic effects are very similar. Will Hellblade 2 be better than The Order 1886... you're damn right it's gonna be.

But the style is very similar. I'm hoping for more control of the action and set pieces. Hellblade 1 was tough for me to go through because I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. This time around I know they've learned from what turned people off from the game and will create a masterpiece. Anyone that says this game won't be great is lying to themselves.

For those that are comparing it to that original 2019 trailer...please give it up already, nobody cares. Are there differences? Yes. Does it make this newest trailer any less impressive. No. Stop with the comparisons. Hellblade 2 is going to be awesome...and to those comparing it to Horizon Forbidden West....they're both completely different styles. So give it up. Both will blow our minds in different ways. That's a guarantee 👍🏼

Last edited:
Maybe. Order 1886 was basic and mediocre. Only one title came from that. HB is on its 2nd title. The devs house is still open too. Not a roast. Just stating the facts.

Bases on the pedigree of the developer, I'd say HBII has a much bigger chance of success.

My question is: why you trying to throw curses on Hellblade, bro? 1886 sucked all kinds of ass. HB deserves much better luck
The Order 1886 got underserved hate…it was ahead of its time tbh…graphically etc. only thing bad was the length of the game for some people etc…Graphically it looks CGI sometimes…

Yeah I agree. This generation I feel will be more about enhancing graphical fidelity and making things more immersive and fulfilling. Having more things on screen at once, etc.

Maybe by the end of the generation we have something like that UE5 demo from last year in some capacity.
I've actually just seen the UE5 "interactive" demo... if they can keep going down the road they are with UE5, there's a chance someone will get to that trailer. But, then again who really knows. It would be cool tho.

If You Click on the below, Hover Over And then place your cursor on the Bottom Right Hand Corner - You Can Easily Slow This Gif Down By Clicking on the 3 Dots.

In the above example, I have told you how to slow it down - but I notice artifacts like this as I've trained my eyes to notice such things for decades. The Hair and Clothing Clips through Senuas Right Shoulder, and Then Her Sleeve Through Her left Shoulder. I Am the graphics snob guy who has in fact been guilty of upgrading my GPU every Half Year when that was a thing you could do for more visual performance, yet I am Also Still the guy that can actually produce assets of this quality and beyond - and that is due to my love of Games to Begin with.

So when I see something like this, I immediately know it is not a team, or studio that we should blame for such inconsistency - but one artist who likely got lazy... in implementing those animations, and the rest of the crew turned a blind eye to it, or ignored it completely. I Know this, because that's what happens when I do not want to rebuild animation structures for an entire asset, simply to re-apply to a few frames within a scene, Sloppy Animation Clipping. It's an EXTREMELY solvable problem however.

Moving On

Below I've highlighted Areas, When Enlarged - I think could be starkly improved on. One, Senua's Model Drops in detail dramatically around her Arm - either through some forced aberration or because Her Arm is Outstretched - and the Animation, essentially flattens the geometry making the entire arm look dull, drop in detail as a result and appear ugly for merely a few Frames. Her Face is also strikingly off from the other shots, likely - her Specular Map across these frames should be toned down.

And Below That, the Giant in Question has a glaringly Bright Specular Map in the Area Highlighted that could also be toned down during these frames. As it exists now, the Specular Highlights murk up an otherwise good scene. A Consistent Frame By frame curation of the Assets on this level, with fixes applied.. would help elevate the entire scene. I Do not think this is an ugly trailer/playthrough - however while many would consider this a Best In Class example of a Live Playthrough, it is these inconsistencies that keep it from being Best In Class... at least in my book. And I Love Xbox.

This was the Image I Intended to Post, ImgUr had other things in mind - the below however does
show peak disparity in Assets between various frames however. Senuas Arm in these short few frames - is just ugly, it melds into the geometry around it
and Looks like a blob with a face attached, a face too heavy on Specular Highlights.

The Hanging Flesh, looks fake/toy like across these frames - and not in the good way. The Flesh itself there, look hard at this - it could be improved on for these frames
while he leans into the wall of the cave. Is that a face there, in the flesh? Shall I Highlight it? This is what I mean.

And the previous issue could of been curated out, or improved on drastically - but these 4-5 frames deteriorate an otherwise exciting short sequence before she lights him on fire.
And the only reason it really made it in? Because it is so momentary, but still a blemish to what could be completely remarkable.

Particularly when measured against better parts of this cinematic.

moH7kUv.jpeg

I would edit this into my original post, with the updated image - but it's not letting me currently.

Last edited:
This was the Image I Intended to Post, ImgUr had other things in mind - the below however does
show peak disparity in Assets between various frames however. Senuas Arm in these short few frames - is just ugly, it melds into the geometry around it
and Looks like a blob with a face attached, a face too heavy on Specular Highlights.

The Hanging Flesh, looks fake/toy like across these frames - and not in the good way. The Flesh itself there, look hard at this - it could be improved on for these frames
while he leans into the wall of the cave. Is that a face there, in the flesh? Shall I Highlight it? This is what I mean.

And the previous issue could of been curated out, or improved on drastically - but these 4-5 frames deteriorate an otherwise exciting short sequence before she lights him on fire.
And the only reason it really made it in? Because it is so momentary, but still a blemish to what could be completely remarkable.

Particularly when measured against better parts of this cinematic.

moH7kUv.jpeg

I would edit this into my original post, with the updated image - but it's not letting me currently.

You're kinda stretching it here. These shots you're using do not accurately depict what it looks like in motion, which is why these things are seen in motion. You picked a frame of that giant which you think makes the hanging skin look not so good, but in motion it plain looks fantastic and appropriately creepy.

If It Takes me - An Experience Vet To outline such blemishes, and you too are apt to turn a Blind Eye as it
is all a sum of it part's, I'm not sure what to tell you

But things like this stick out to me, perhaps they should to you to - or Perhaps you should, as I have
advised, start demanding far more if Graphics are something you really care about.

And you can say I'm overreaching all day, but all of this equates to the Uncanny and Inorganic Look many have cited or noticed. And As I've pointed out, it is not a problem to curate these issues away. It is actually long something I've considered disrespectful of the consumer. But Consumers don't consider demanding more from games, because they are happy with Just about anything they can get. And that has been a sad fact I've come to terms with over the last decade.

NAmr2Xx.jpg

Last edited:

Vognerful

Did anyone notice that the giant was blending with the rocks when he went for sleep? I didn't see anyone talking about it.

Reminded me a little of death stranding

And since I can't edit anything after 5 minutes, Experienced* Vet - and I as seemingly the only one to point out the Obvious Face in his flab of flesh - stand by this statement.

Last edited:

Boglin

If It Takes me - An Experience Vet To outline such blemishes, and you too are apt to turn a Blind Eye as it
is all a sum of it part's, I'm not sure what to tell you

But things like this stick out to me, perhaps they should to you to - or Perhaps you should, as I have
advised, start demanding far more if Graphics are something you really care about.

And you can say I'm overreaching all day, but all of this equates to the Uncanny and Inorganic Look many have cited or noticed. And As I've pointed out, it is not a problem to curate these issues away. It is actually long something I've considered disrespectful of the consumer. But Consumers don't consider demanding more from games, because they are happy with Just about anything they can get. And that has been a sad fact I've come to terms with over the last decade.

NAmr2Xx.jpg
Up until this post I thought you were trolling. But congratulations... You sold me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The gameplay style of Hellblade 2 will be very similar to the gameplay structure of The Order 1886.

Or the gameplay might be similar to the gameplay structure of Senuas Sacrifice.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

VS

Hellblade-2-Gameplay.jpg
I doubt it is a technical limitation. Just artistic choice. It might look more natural, it's raining and so on.

That’s not a game.
What is a game ?
You can play it, right now on real console. That's more than can be said for Hellblade2... even though I have no doubts it is playable.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't care who the chipmunk with 55 phds said what. I liked the first game and it was aok in every aspect and also advised by professionals. So what are you talking about?

I was also talking about the chipmunk PHDs who advised for the first game, and they got multiple awards and acclaim for their work. For HB2 they also brought in actual patients with first hand experience with psychosis as consultants, we should be in good hands. Point is, they obviously know what they are doing, so asking them to tone anything down is kinda silly. Depicted mental disorders/psychosis is sort of meant to make you feel uncomfortable (and even cringe) and I trust NT to do this justice again, so we should just "let" them tell the story their way.

skit_data

Is all the music in this game gonna be made by Heilung?

Edit: After some googling it seems that Heilung will indeed make the soundtrack of the game. Cool!

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Does the ‘2’ in the name not clue you into the fact that there’s a first game in the series? And that it’s much more likely to play like that, only improved?

People come up with the strangest takes on this forum.

Dolodolo

Or the gameplay might be similar to the gameplay structure of Senuas Sacrifice.
They need to drastically improve the structure of the gameplay in the new game.
Everyone knows why they scolded the first
The second time around, it's an interesting concept and some psychologism won't save it if the gameplay doesn't improve significantly.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: LMJ
Top Bottom