• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

I’ve never understood why people say Hellblade 2 is an amazing looking game. It’s a blurry mess with all sorts of visual filters thrown on it. What’s the point of 4K if it’s blurry

Hellblade is dark, blurry and everything is so scripted and on rails.

U4 & Gow
C9PcbOm.jpg
hJksCyH.jpg

Hellblade 2
vTSFo5T.jpg

rFz6LGX.jpg
I think it looks blurry because I think they are going for a movie look. The camera is always moving and a moving camera at 1/30 SEC shutter speed is going to give slightly blurry stills. I really think it's intentional and not to hide anything. I bet this could legit confuse people with thinking it's real life with a not overly critical viewing.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I’ve never understood why people say Hellblade 2 is an amazing looking game. It’s a blurry mess with all sorts of visual filters thrown on it. What’s the point of 4K if it’s blurry

I foresee a short career for you here, totally-not-an-alt-of-a-previously-banned-user.

You're comparing two high-resolution shots, which are clearly not from gameplay or anything near that with two gameplay screenshots grabbed from a youtube video. Not even on Twitter would that be accepted.

U4 & Gow
C9PcbOm.jpg
hJksCyH.jpg

Hellblade 2
vTSFo5T.jpg

rFz6LGX.jpg

Gee it's almost like two of those examples are from Photo Modes of completed games and the other shots are from a game still in active development with screenshots taken from a compressed Youtube video showing off gameplay from a vertical slice with unfinished assets.

Hmmm :pie_thinking: ....

EDIT: Beaten by TBiddy TBiddy

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The difference is actually very little, also, again, with metahuman you can finally match CGI so if there is a downgrade is only because this game is not developed using that technology

I would suggest you actually read up on Metahuman as you clearly don't understand what it is or how its implemented.

It wasn't a CGI trailer. It was in-engine.

Which is another fancy word for CGI trailer. Enough with the mindless console warring, Bernd.

reksveks

You can explain me since you understand

My simple explanation (people can correct me)

Metahuman is a tool that allows devs to more quickly create a human model including the rigging needed for animation. It is a productivity tool, mainly for the smaller developers.

What it doesn't do is make the human model any better than an traditionally created model from a company that has invested time/money into that model.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This really reminded me of The Order 1866. It looks really good, very impressive, aside from the main character model that unfortunately doesn't really keep up and is a clear downgrade from the reveal.

This really reminded me of The Order 1866. It looks really good, very impressive, aside from the main character model that unfortunately doesn't really keep up and is a clear downgrade from the reveal.
Lmao you guys will shit up anything to downplay this game now huh? The order looks nothing close to looking like this game at all and everything on screen to the npcs environment looks nothing like we’ve seen in a game before detail wise. Where’s the downgrade?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lmao you guys will shit up anything to downplay this game now huh? The order looks nothing close to looking like this game at all and everything on screen to the npcs environment looks nothing like we’ve seen in a game before detail wise. Where’s the downgrade?

Learn english. I said it reminded me of the order, not that The Order looked as good or close. And if you can't notice how the character model is a downgrade from the reveal then you are in no position to be telling anyone anything about how the game compares to other games. And I made no such comparison.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
why there’s such a massive difference in character rendering and fidelity considering this is running on UE5 on the left remains unclear...
I don't understand either, with metahuman we have perfect reproduction of real actors and so they should match cgi with that

Because the 2019 trailer is rendered at the highest quality and not running on actual hardware.

Richard talks about Hellblade here and mentions that we're not there yet when it come to CGI level rendering.

I said before that "in-engine" is a broad time and it can me something that was pre-rendered in Unreal Engine 4 or 5.

xPikYx

Because the 2019 trailer is rendered at the highest quality and not running on actual hardware.

Richard talks about Hellblade here and mentions that we're not there yet when it come to CGI level rendering.

I said before that "in-engine" is a broad time and it can me something that was pre-rendered in Unreal Engine 4 or 5.

The thing is Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss in The matrix are CGI perfect running in real time this I don't understand

Concern

I mean there is some downplaying/concern in the Horizon + GT7 + GOW threads too, but this thread here just laughs and says: Hold my beer.

Oh I don't doubt it. But its obvious when some just come to troll. DForce DForce has 14 posts in this thread and only 4 in total in all the most recent Horizon threads. Just here to troll.

Some people lack self control. I have no interest in Nintendo, Horizon, or GT so I don't bother with those threads.

Edit: I'd laugh too after being exposed like that lol. 14 posts here to 4 in a game you're supposedly more interested in 🤣

Last edited:

hussar16

We do see the downgrade, some have pointed them out from the get go. This image was posted on the other site and the difference is “more than noticeable”

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

why there’s such a massive difference in character rendering and fidelity considering this is running on UE5 on the left remains unclear...
I guess unreal 5 tech can be scaled down by alot

We do see the downgrade, some have pointed them out from the get go. This image was posted on the other site and the difference is “more than noticeable”

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

The Series S...maybe...

If the combat is great it could be another God of War level thing... But does Ninja theory have it in them?
The core combat of part 1 actually feels like God of War. Yes they have it in them. They did a great job with Devil May Cry. Hopefully they go all out on the combat. I know the actress is doing her own moves in this one.

Yup, I wonder why people even question the idea... It's the same as the Halo Infinite reveal.

Ut does not look bad, but they were misleading in the first reveal... Anyone who normally throws a fit about these things should not defend what's going on because MS gets a pass on everything these days 😂

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yup, I wonder why people even question the idea... It's the same as the Halo Infinite reveal.

Ut does not look bad, but they were misleading in the first reveal... Anyone who normally throws a fit about these things should not defend what's going on because MS gets a pass on everything these days 😂
This. Hellblade 2 looks amazing but yes there's a downgrade

I love how the downplayers keep focusing on the hyper high-poly close up of Senuas face in the announcement trailer instead of literally everything else (which always looked like 'the gameplay portion' compared to the Senua close-up)

All the other assets are clearly still present in the game.
Same environmental detail, a better looking giant, same (or better) insane fire effects, the skull/bones assets, high poly soldiers..hell they even put that same flag waving in the background (when you first see a peek at the giant) to basically shout "yeah guys that was all real assets in the reveal trailer."

I bet for isolated close-ups (dialogue and such), Senua and others faces will most likely look much closer to the reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I love how the downplayers keep focusing on the hyper high-poly close up of Senuas face in the announcement trailer instead of literally everything else (which always looked like 'the gameplay portion' compared to the Senua close-up)

All the other assets are clearly still present in the game.
Same environmental detail, a better looking giant, same (or better) insane fire effects, the skull/bones assets, high poly soldiers..hell they even put that same flag waving in the background (when you first see a peek at the giant) to basically shout "yeah guys that was all real assets in the reveal trailer."

I bet for isolated close-ups (dialogue and such), Senua and others faces will most likely look much closer to the reveal trailer.

Senuas face looks fine.
People are just looking at compressed Youtube so they can nitpick.

Weve seen how good the character model actaully looks.
And its absolutely stunning.

Legit at the level of The Matrix demo in my eyes.

FJjjvCRUUBACjdt

FJjjv2GVkA4pG-0

And yes it is "in engine" obviously the game will have LODs so yeah she wont look this good when you zoom out 2000 miles away or when the lighting doesnt allow.

But this model is absolutely impeccable.

She even still has scars from the first game.

Last edited:

Looks good; hopefully there will be some gameplay to show off this summer for it. Yes they did show gameplay technically in December but there was nothing actually shown off with the revamped battle mechanics or other game systems, or a feeling of what a full gameplay loop will look like while playing.

So that is what I'm hoping they show off at the Xbox June showcase, or at least begin to. If not by the end of this year Q2 2023 feels about right for this one actually being ready to come out, given they first showed it in December 2019.

Looks great, but I highly doubt it will look like that in game.

I mean on a technical level it's roughly around the same amount of IQ and detail as HFW, even if it's very hard to compare the two due to very different art directions and visual styles. But point being, this and HFW feel about in the same ballpark on a technical level and that game is already available on PS5.

We already have that as an example of an actual game with massive amounts of detail and pretty good IQ; this is being built on UE5 and we've already seen what that can do. It's targeting 30 FPS most likely so I don't see why the final game can't reach this level, I would be very surprised if the final results were downgraded.

Last edited:
I mean on a technical level it's roughly around the same amount of IQ and detail as HFW, even if it's very hard to compare the two due to very different art directions and visual styles. But point being, this and HFW feel about in the same ballpark on a technical level and that game is already available on PS5

Respectfully, the Hellblade 2 gameplay trailer makes Forbidden West looks like the cross-gen game it is.

Looks good; hopefully there will be some gameplay to show off this summer for it. Yes they did show gameplay technically in December but there was nothing actually shown off with the revamped battle mechanics or other game systems, or a feeling of what a full gameplay loop will look like while playing.

So that is what I'm hoping they show off at the Xbox June showcase, or at least begin to. If not by the end of this year Q2 2023 feels about right for this one actually being ready to come out, given they first showed it in December 2019.

I mean on a technical level it's roughly around the same amount of IQ and detail as HFW, even if it's very hard to compare the two due to very different art directions and visual styles. But point being, this and HFW feel about in the same ballpark on a technical level and that game is already available on PS5.

We already have that as an example of an actual game with massive amounts of detail and pretty good IQ; this is being built on UE5 and we've already seen what that can do. It's targeting 30 FPS most likely so I don't see why the final game can't reach this level, I would be very surprised if the final results were downgraded.
HFW is not even close to the graphical fidelity in this, you have to be trolling?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Respectfully, the Hellblade 2 gameplay trailer makes Forbidden West looks like the cross-gen game it is.
Open world vs linear corridor-esque walking sim game.

Hellblade looks fantastic, but Horizon has so much more going on under the hood.

At the end of the day though I don’t give a fuck about resolution or graphics, I just want fun games with classic gameplay loops and that’s where the first Hellblade fell horrendously short for me. So I hope they make significant strides in that department.

Top Bottom