• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

cj_iwakura

Something interesting for those who've beaten Dead Man's Switch.

Apparently Lofwyr(the Saeder-Krypp CEO) appears in DMS.

"Apparently, Lofwyr's 'representative' was just Lofwyr disguised in human form. Though the game never spells this out and I only heard about it elsewhere on the internet, not being very familiar with Shadowrun myself."

epmode

more importantly if you opt in the shadowrun beta you get... manual saving!

Oh boy, now I can play this without getting annoyed. Busy with Might & Magic 10, though.

Is the beta particularly buggy? Should I just wait for the official patch in a month?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Have they mentioned patching the tablet versions too? I've started to give up hope on user-created content, but saving would be great.

Naito

Something interesting for those who've beaten Dead Man's Switch.

Apparently Lofwyr(the Saeder-Krypp CEO) appears in DMS.

"Apparently, Lofwyr's 'representative' was just Lofwyr disguised in human form. Though the game never spells this out and I only heard about it elsewhere on the internet, not being very familiar with Shadowrun myself."

You mean, Lofwyr also appears in Dragonfall?

I would have expected it, in Dead Man's Switch he invites you to visit Berlin or something close to it.

Naito

Well, I had no idea he was in DMS. Time will tell if he'll be in Dragonfall, but I hope so.

At first I thought Dragonfall was going to be a direct sequel to Returns since Lofwyr proposes you to stop by Berlin
(in the closure of Dead Man's Switch if I'm not mistaken).

Harebrained Schemes LLC said:
Hey All - To clarify the question of your party - In Dragonfall, you'll be creating your own main character and commanding a fixed team of runners as shown in the trailer.
There are a couple runners that may or may not end up on your team, depending on choices you make during the campaign.

In addition to your "core team", there will be a small set of mercenaries available to hire for missions where you might want a runner with skills not represented in your core team or main character.
Btw, I had the impression that with Dragonfall we would run a fixed party since we'll have 4 new companions (Dietrich, Eiger, Glory and Blitz) but mercenaries will be around to hire

Have they mentioned patching the tablet versions too? I've started to give up hope on user-created content, but saving would be great.

Unfortunately the Beta Version 1.2 is currently available for Steam only.

cj_iwakura

At first I thought Dragonfall was going to be a direct sequel to Returns since Lofwyr proposes you to stop by Berlin
(in the closure of Dead Man's Switch if I'm not mistaken).

Btw, I had the impression that with Dragonfall we would run a fixed party since we'll have 4 new companions (Dietrich, Eige, Glory and Blitz) but mercenaries will be around to hire

Well, yeah, I remember that, but again, thought he was just some guy. :p

Is the MC from DMS importable? I hope so, Gemini's a boss.

Naito

Is the MC from DMS importable? I hope so, Gemini's a boss.

I guess so? Even though I'm pretty certain it is not a direct continuation of Dead Man's Switch but another story.
Then I'm a bit concerned that my MC from DMS might be overpowered for Dragonfall...

I'm hoping we get at least one more official expansion after Dragonfall but I doubt we will. I love the Shadowrun universe and this world and want as many as possible legit entries. Especially since the user campaigns are slow in coming

akira28

I guess so? Even though I'm pretty certain it is not a direct continuation of Dead Man's Switch but another story.
Then I'm a bit concerned that my MC from DMS might be overpowered for Dragonfall...

I'm hoping they'll kick it up a notch, because obviously they'd make importing the main character a requirement. I didn't make a bad ass motherfucking technoshaman just to leave him behind in the first mission. I'm expecting them to require me to make use of all these level 5+ summoning and casting skills I've earned.

Eusis

Is manual saving buggy at all? Will it still do checkpoint saves as backup you can manually load in addition to the manual saves? I'd rather wait until they iron it out before using it.

Naito

Interesting interview on DieHard GameFan with HBS's Mike McCain, he drops some of the intro plot of Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Diehard GameFAN: Will players be able to port their characters from “Dead Man’s Switch” over to Dragonfall or with this require an entire new protagonist?

Mike McCain: Dragonfall’s story is completely independent of the story told in “Dead Man’s Switch”. As such, you’ll create a new main character when you begin the Dragonfall campaign.

Diehard GameFAN: Approximately how long will it take to complete Dragonfall‘s core storyline and how many options/side quests will it contain?

Mike McCain: Our early playtests suggest that the campaign is actually longer than anticipated. We initially set out to create an experience somewhere in the 8-10 hours range. It currently looks like even a bare-minimum playthrough would take more than 10 hours, and I think you can count on at least 12 to 15 hours if you’re exploring and doing more of the game’s side content. We’re also trying to tune this campaign to a slightly more challenging difficulty level than “Dead Man’s Switch”, so that may factor in as well.

cj_iwakura

Great interview.

I enjoyed the bit on the story:

In 2012, when magic re-awakened in the world, the great dragon Feuerschwinge emerged into the Sixth World and unleashed untold destruction across the European countryside. It took German forces nearly four months to finally shoot her down. This event became known as the Dragonfall.

Now – over 40 years later – you’ve recently relocated to Berlin and find yourself leading a team of shadowrunners caught on the wrong side of a deadly conspiracy. The only clue: whispers of the Dragonfall. Rumors that Feuerschwinge may still be alive, waiting for the right moment to return…

Also, he refuses to comment on Lofwyr and Saeder-Krupp.

kiyoaki

Feuerschwinge, haha. The German grafitti in the screenshots are also nicely done.

It's great to hear they're going to make this campaign longer and harder than the first one. Although DMS on hard seemed just right to me.

Really looking forward to this.

Azih

Huh, well not running a Decker again, nature of the game is more combat oriented. So... suggestions for the most fun combat class guys?

Miletius

I'm hoping we get at least one more official expansion after Dragonfall but I doubt we will. I love the Shadowrun universe and this world and want as many as possible legit entries. Especially since the user campaigns are slow in coming

I don't see why not, necessarily. I think SR:R sold decently and the team is small enough that they can hopefully sustain themselves on expansion sales.

Grayman

Huh, well not running a Decker again, nature of the game is more combat oriented. So... suggestions for the most fun combat class guys?

given that we have seen miniguns and what looks like rockets you may want to go street samurai and specialize in wherever the new weapons fit in trait lines. Those new weapons may just be in quickness\ranged\x like ARs are now.

For things already in the game each gun type gets different active abilities. Shutguns can do AP damage and spread, ARs can full auto someones face for five attacks at once, Pistols can shoot 3 different guys (or bounce back and forth on 2) and at max (human) skill disarm opponents. On my second game, first game not being a decker my guy Kule_$tuntz used pistol as his main weapon.

Mage also has a lot of active combat abilties and you can use shutdowns, damage over times, aoes, lots of choices with bringing up to 5 spells into a run.

Fjordson

Great interview, really hyped for Dragonfall.

I replayed a few hours of SR Returns this morning with a new class (mage) just for kicks. Still love it. I actually put Returns in my top 3 games of last year. It had its issues, but I really enjoy it.

Super interview - it also (kind of) answered a question I had, which is does HS plan on doing any modules after Dragonfall?

Diehard GameFAN: There were several other potential expansions bandied about in the Kickstarter ranging from Japan to more Seattle content. Is there any chance we’ll see some of these expansions come to life in the near (or even far) future? If so, which ones?

Mike McCain: It’s too early to say! But I will say, we would love to revisit the Seattle Metroplex at some point – there is so much more to the Seattle campaign setting to explore and tell stories about.

I read that as a yes, so I'm happy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone play this on iPad? Thoughts? I'm thinking of getting it for my iPad mini.
It plays well except for it hitching sometimes when you kill someone. And it's up in the air whether they'll patch in the save system. No user created content either.

cj_iwakura

Dragonfall hype builder:
http://kotaku.com/dragonfall-is-the-shadowrun-i-know-and-love-1525636558

In "The Dead Man's Switch", the first Shadowrun Returns adventure from developer Harebrained Schemes, players had a large pool of adventurous NPCs to select from while building their team of runners. The variety was nice, but aside from a few special exceptions, they were just stats with avatars — chess pieces.

That's why Shadowrun: Dragonfall is set in Berlin — those loud and appreciative German fans. They're why, instead of a group of random strangers or throwaway characters, my adventure in Dragonfall begins with the forging of bonds that will last a (relatively short) lifetime.

Take Dietrich here, for instance — good old, reliable Dietrich. Used to be some sort of musician or something. Now he runs the streets, flicking completely ineffective knives at his enemies when he's not casting much more effect healing and damage spells. He's a keeper.

Then there's the enigmatic Glory, a mysterious, seemingly emotionless Street Samurai, enhanced with tech that was ancient before she was born. Been trying to get her to open up to me, without much success. She'll crack.

kiyoaki

Sounds great, I'm definitely hyped. A more open campaign and stronger NPC personalities sound right up my alley. Just one more week until I'll get the mail with my steam key...

Happy... um... belated Valentine's Day, Gaf.

Here are two Steam codes for the Berlin DLC campaign. Enjoy!!!

M8F4M-KQ0MI-FCK7C
9JDWF-NGVJZ-YGZVR

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Happy... um... belated Valentine's Day, Gaf.

Here are two Steam codes for the Berlin DLC campaign. Enjoy!!!

M8F4M-KQ0MI-FCK7C
9JDWF-NGVJZ-YGZVR
Tried to redeem it, but someone already took it : (

If anyone has a spare key, I got a copy of Don't Starve I'm willing to trade for it.

Scratch that, adj_noun was awesome enough to send me a key.

Fjordson

Wait, how are people getting extra keys?

edit: nevermind, just saw it on Google. Hope I get mine, I was a backer on Kickstarter =[

Top Bottom