• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Cerity

I've been playing this recently thanks to the steam sales and damn, am I enjoying this game. I'd forgotten just how engrossed I can get in text heavy games like this. It's pretty refreshing after the onslaught of voiced, facially animated characters recently, it's been years. Nowadays I usually get put off in heavily animated games as the models tend to do things not quite right, either due to the animation efforts or the technology - that or the voicing is terrible, I find it ridiculously stand offish. But this? it has none of the above. I might just go back and play a few of the older crpgs, I never knew how much I missed them.

The UI is the main downfall of the game though IMO, it's painful just how "touch" orientated it is.

AColdDay

I've been playing this recently thanks to the steam sales and damn, am I enjoying this game. I'd forgotten just how engrossed I can get in text heavy games like this. It's pretty refreshing after the onslaught of voiced, facially animated characters recently, it's been years. Nowadays I usually get put off in heavily animated games as the models tend to do things not quite right, either due to the animation efforts or the technology - that or the voicing is terrible, I find it ridiculously stand offish. But this? it has none of the above. I might just go back and play a few of the older crpgs, I never knew how much I missed them.

The UI is the main downfall of the game though IMO, it's painful just how "touch" orientated it is.

The UI bothered me way more than the lack of a save anywhere feature. I spent way too long trying to figure out how to buff somebody for the first time.

mclem

Good Guy Microsoft:
Hey Everyone!

We just want to send out a quick update to share some good news. Thanks to a new agreement we were able to negotiate with our partners at Microsoft, Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce that we are now able to release fully DRM-free versions of Shadowrun Returns and future expansions such as Berlin.

The DRM-free versions of SRR and Berlin will continue to be fully supported. You'll be able to download all game patches, use the Shadowrun Returns editor and experience user-generated content downloaded from third-party sites such as Nexus.

We’re starting work to get Shadowrun Returns available on GOG.com right now - not sure how long that will take but we’ll let you know as soon as we have an answer.

We’re very excited we’re finally able to offer Shadowrun DRM-free to everyone and look forward to making it available!

Take care,

HBS

Now up on GoG, folks. $20 normally, launch promo at $12.

Eusis

It does make me wonder what went on though, I have to imagine either they're getting full game rights, or that someone at Microsoft stopped and wondered what the FUCK they were doing worrying about DRM on a game like this in the first place.

Azih

It does make me wonder what went on though, I have to imagine either they're getting full game rights, or that someone at Microsoft stopped and wondered what the FUCK they were doing worrying about DRM on a game like this in the first place.

Well there's been a lot of changes at Microsoft recently. I really doubt Harebrained has full game rights though.

Moobabe

Tried to load this back up but the game hangs during fights whenever the main character has their turn. Hasn't contributed to my mood improving.

Well just bought this one, and have nooooo idea what I'm doing. Any tips on class and stat/skill distribution? In short anything is welcome...

Lautaro

Well just bought this one, and have nooooo idea what I'm doing. Any tips on class and stat/skill distribution? In short anything is welcome...

Don't make a Decker-Mage (implants increase your cooldown time IIRC). The game is still playable but is not optimal.

Still, the game is easy so you can still end up with uber-characters even if your build is not perfect.

So Samurai would be ok for a new player? Or is there an easier class? Just to learn the ropes and see what the fuss is all about :) Was planning to go with Baldurs Gate after this one

Grayman

I find builds in this game a lot easier than DND. Street Samurai should be good to learn as, you may get unoptimal point distribution if it spreads between a few weapons but the game should be fully playable. If you did want to make more active ability choices in combat a mage has more in the early game.

I usually make custom characters with my own stat distribution. 4 or 5 is a good starting body stat to have enough health. Ranged attacking requires quickness and has good synergy with dodging to lower the amount of damage you take. A mage seems to work fine in the base campaign on normal with 5 body then maximizing wisdom and spellcasting.

In any character each 2 points of charisma unlocks etiquette options that add flavour text to conversation or sometimes give added benefits. An investment into just enough spellcasting to cast heal is also a good investment if you don't consider that a roleplaying problem.

Well no roleplaying issues on my end, just want to enjoy the playtrough as I'm expert on screwing myself over when it comes to stats and such :) Can mage use weapons as well? Or just spells?

cj_iwakura

Well no roleplaying issues on my end, just want to enjoy the playtrough as I'm expert on screwing myself over when it comes to stats and such :) Can mage use weapons as well? Or just spells?

They can, but there's really no reason to. Your basic 'weapon' is a spell, which 'reloads' by charging mana.

Grayman

Nothing stopping it aside from spreading points around. The basic mage attack fills a slot like it is a gun already but they never do get the overwatch ability that someone with a gun will.

The only type of hybrid that is really penalized is mixing cyberware body parts with magic spells. That will increase the number of turns of cool down before a specific spell can be reused.

So yeah pick whatever seems most fun but if you want an easy time with health and the economy(not buying med kits as often) spend the 6 or so karma to get the stats to use the heal wound spell. Unlike most game's heals it just undoes the most recent hit of damage so it gives you a lot more survival but not an infinite amount.

Azih

Stay away from Decking and you should be fine :). You get a lot of Karma in the game so you should be able to max out whatever ability you choose to focus on.

SolKane

Put about 5 hours in this game and have just realized that Decker is a totally useless class. I hardly see any of those nodes around, and honestly the Matrix stuff really isn't that interesting, would rather just do standard combat.

Put about 5 hours in this game and have just realized that Decker is a totally useless class. I hardly see any of those nodes around, and honestly the Matrix stuff really isn't that interesting, would rather just do standard combat.

That was my problem too. The save fix can't come fast enough.

cj_iwakura

Deckers get to shine (much) later on. I assume you could just wing it a a gunner until then?

Grayman

I decked as my first character because I wanted something unique to the world of shadowrun. The Dead Man's Switch campaign only has a few major matrix runs and doesn't make the decker character feel special or appreciated beyond the two chances to flip turrets on their masters and some extra Nuyen here and there. A decker would need a custom campaign written for them to really shine as opposed to someone just bringing one along.

I put almost all my points into the decking and drone skills on my character and had a lot of fun with it. My character mostly hung back and just did that hacker accuracy buff move while the robot dudes took care of everything, and when it came time to hack stuff or do matrix things I could easily take care of it. My character didn't even carry a weapon, just a deck + two drones. Probably not a character for everyone but I liked it a lot and it certainly seemed powerful enough, made all matrix runs a breeze and having an additional two drones doing damage and tanking hits helped a ton.

I just bought this game in the steam sale, and I see some people are saying the game is a little on the easy side. I recently finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown on 'normal' difficulty, and while it was really fun and tense in the beginning, as the game progressed I began to greatly outgun the enemy, and in the end could just waltz towards hostiles and cut them down without any care or forethought required. This made the latter half of the game pretty boring for me, and I'd like to avoid that here. Should I change the difficulty to 'hard' (or even 'very hard')?

cj_iwakura

I just bought this game in the steam sale, and I see some people are saying the game is a little on the easy side. I recently finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown on 'normal' difficulty, and while it was really fun and tense in the beginning, as the game progressed I began to greatly outgun the enemy, and in the end could just waltz towards hostiles and cut them down without any care or forethought required. This made the latter half of the game pretty boring for me, and I'd like to avoid that here. Should I change the difficulty to 'hard' (or even 'very hard')?

The last few levels are pretty rough. I'd stick to normal.

Grayman

I am not sure exactly what difficulty changes but the last levels' combat is designed in a way that it is very frustrating.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I played through on Hard and that difficulty felt fine, if not a bit overly easy. I wouldn't play on normal unless you like your combat utterly brain dead.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do you have to buy the new DLC to be able to save in the first module, or will they just patch what you have already?

Hopefully the best user created stuff gets talked about in here, subscribed.

cj_iwakura

Here's my PC as of some UGC:

M6AeE0C.jpg

AColdDay

Do you have to buy the new DLC to be able to save in the first module, or will they just patch what you have already?

Hopefully the best user created stuff gets talked about in here, subscribed.

The game will get an update, which will allow saving to the original Dead Man's Switch. I have no idea how this is going to impact UGC. It really depends on if the save system is a real save system implemented at the system level, or if it is a per-game workaround.

Bought this on the Steam sale, liking it a lot after a couple of hours. Couple questions I have...

1. I notice that I have enough Karma to upgrade one of my skills, according to the tree, but it won't let me upgrade the specific skill for some reason. Is this is bug, or does the game put artificial story barriers on when certain skills can be upgraded past a certain level?

2. Has anyone messed around with any of the community-made campaigns? Are they good? How do they work- do you import your character from the main game, or do you have to start from scratch?

Thanks!

EDIT: Figured out the answer to #1. Have to upgrade my passive 'quickness' skill further until I can upgrade my pistols again.

Grayman

Bought this on the Steam sale, liking it a lot after a couple of hours. Couple questions I have...

1. I notice that I have enough Karma to upgrade one of my skills, according to the tree, but it won't let me upgrade the specific skill for some reason. Is this is bug, or does the game put artificial story barriers on when certain skills can be upgraded past a certain level?

2. Has anyone messed around with any of the community-made campaigns? Are they good? How do they work- do you import your character from the main game, or do you have to start from scratch?

Thanks!

1. you may have to be more specific but what comes to my mind is that when skills are tiered they can only be raised up to the level of the skill above. Pistol can only be as high as ranged combat which can only be as high as quickness. The skill page has indents and some arrows kind of showing this.

2. Some campaigns are good but I am having trouble picking out a standout one. I played through a lot at once so they blend together. Some will have spelling problems or short scenes that lead to a lot of load times.

As far as characters I have seen three types
1) a default character. you can customize them after they start but you begin with exact attributes.
2) import a character. This can be done with your dead man's switch character or one from community campaign. Usually equiped items carry over and sometimes the stash but usually not Nuyen$
3) create a new character. Start a new character with a low level of karma just like dead man's switch started.

You can use the features on the steam workshop page to narrow down the type you are interested in and sort by ratings or popularity to get to the good stuff.

I am going to need to start reviewing these campaigns or something because I really wish I had a go to recommendation to say play "this". "From the Shadows, run" is a 3 part(so far) ugc that I enjoyed enough to post on the board and tag it for act 3 to eventually come out.

Vlodril

Thanks!

EDIT: Figured out the answer to #1. Have to upgrade my passive 'quickness' skill further until I can upgrade my pistols again.

As far as 2 goes i ve played quite a few of them. Most of them are great. Some of them are better than the original campaign. Some let you import character (whichever you want from the campaign or from one of the ugc's.) , some demand a new one and some have premade characters.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is all the user generated stuff accessed from inside the game? And if so does it have easy layout and ranking system?

Ricker

I think I am near the end now(7 hours makes sense for being near the end?)...I made a Troll,mostly melee and strenght so I can't use any spells right...? because they are like greyed out if I try to buy one...I guess they changed the save sytem in the last patch because I had no problems with it,it auto saves quite often...

Grayman

I think I am near the end now(7 hours makes sense for being near the end?)...I made a Troll,mostly melee and strenght so I can't use any spells right...? because they are like greyed out if I try to buy one...I guess they changed the save sytem in the last patch because I had no problems with it,it auto saves quite often...

To buy spells you need to put a few points into the required skills. You would need wisdom and spellcasting to 2 or 3 to unlock basic spells and buy them at a mage. Chi casting may help your character out with spells to run faster or benefit fighting hand to hand. Charisma and conjuring allow the haste spell for more action points per round but I haven't made one of those myself yet.

You can put a few points into other skills without harming your character. The only thing that doesn't mix is magic and cyberware upgrades, each of those increases spell cooldown a lot. My chromed out decker has to wait seven turns before healing again instead of the usual 1 because he is more machine than man.

As far as being near the end you can post where you are in the story in spoiler tags. 7 hours should be anywhere from half to 80% done i think.

Ricker

To buy spells you need to put a few points into the required skills. You would need wisdom and spellcasting to 2 or 3 to unlock basic spells and buy them at a mage. Chi casting may help your character out with spells to run faster or benefit fighting hand to hand. Charisma and conjuring allow the haste spell for more action points per round but I haven't made one of those myself yet.

You can put a few points into other skills without harming your character. The only thing that doesn't mix is magic and cyberware upgrades, each of those increases spell cooldown a lot. My chromed out decker has to wait seven turns before healing again instead of the usual 1 because he is more machine than man.

As far as being near the end you can post where you are in the story in spoiler tags. 7 hours should be anywhere from half to 80% done i think.

Ok thanks....I am
In the medical Center,going in for the kill on the Doctor,who they believe is the Ripper,I have to kill hm and one of his flunkies

Grayman

Ok thanks....I am
In the medical Center,going in for the kill on the Doctor,who they believe is the Ripper,I have to kill hm and one of his flunkies

You have a few hours to go still. One of the plot threads is going to start developing into the main story.

Ricker

Urgh at that last battle(I think it is)...I will try once again otherwise I am asking for tips later because restarting all that is a pain,even though I know what's coming...the inventory system kinda sucks in this game...just realised that when there is this big red X for items or spells,you can use some anyway...stupid Marie Louise....

Azih

I did not feel bad at all about spoilering the last boss strategy for myself. It's a puzzle kind of fight, only one really correct way of playing it.

Clockwork5

Just picked this up on my asus transformer tablet. Looks great except that death animations kill the framerate. The UI seems servicable for large screen tablet play. So far, so good. Too bad no support for user content (yet...)

mattiewheels

Just picked this up on my asus transformer tablet. Looks great except that death animations kill the framerate. The UI seems servicable for large screen tablet play. So far, so good. Too bad no support for user content (yet...)
Is there any chance at all that tablets will bet user content access patched in? Or is it just technically not gonna happen...

Fjordson

Has there been any recent word on the Dragonfall expansion? Pretty sure the original announcement said it was due out this month.

cj_iwakura

Not yet. Does it warrant a new thread, or this one being updated? I backed it, so as soon as I get anything, I'll share it.

Top Bottom