• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

Ulysses 31

I mean stuff like some of the non-powered characters surviving hits from powered ones. Hawkeye's ability to hit stuff even at the speeds some enemies are going, like in the first Avengers film, is pushing it for a human character, for example. The stuff in this isn't as wild as that.
There's usually something to even the playing field like armor which helps sell they could take a hit, Cap vs Loki is done believable enough, Iron man has his suit. With Hawkeye you can assume he's an exceptional marksman.

You have an example of a superhuman punching a normal human full force with little to no protection and survive in the MCU?
Eisner wasn’t losing them money and Shareholders still revolted and ousted him for Iger. Actually it was the opposite. Eisner was so cheap the company was making money but the quality cratered. People are already as mad at Chapek was they were when they ousted Iger since he’s more of an Eisner than an Iger.
Guess I should've added " or tarnish Disney's reputation" as well.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've not seen every MCU movie so I'm not sure which crazy stuff you're referring to, I know Black Widow has a lot of crazy stuff and an even crazier 3rd act which would take me out of the movie too.

Depends on how much the plot hinges on those convenient skills and lucky events for it to bother me.

Self trained just by watching and mimicking and still becoming that good is still a stretch to me unless it's established she has taskmaster like skills or that she secretly got some training.

I watched and became pretty good at martial arts ... Mimicking isn't hard. And figuring out how to apply the movements isn't hard either. I was formally trained later ... And even then I watched and mimicked movements more advanced than where I was. I even mimicked how to do a triple axle and I'm not a skater.

Same thing with shooting a gun. If you pay attention to the details of movement, you can do it too.

Shouta

There's usually something to even the playing field like armor which helps sell they could take a hit, Cap vs Loki is done believable enough, Iron man has his suit. With Hawkeye you can assume he's an exceptional marksman.

You have an example of a superhuman punching a normal human full force with little to no protection and survive in the MCU?

Hawkeye's marksman ability is like almost super human. He does stuff that shouldn't really possible for someone that isn't enhanced. Granted they've dialed him down compared to the comics but it's still pretty wild.

This one isn't full force but the one that comes to mind of the top of my head is Widow running from Hulk on the heli carrier in the first Avengers. He's casually barreling through it and slaps Widow into a wall. They downplayed it with softer hitting sounds but if a guy going through steel, or whatever it's made out of, like it's paper. Even a slap from him should be doing major bodily damage. Widow is just a highly trained human so she should have been out for quite awhile but she's barely affected for the rest of the film.

Time will tell when I see the EFAP.

They will be proven wrong on the Shang-Chi box office for this week at least. :p

I've heard some of the stuff you mentioned about Chapek which don't seem completely off base when coming from a hollywood writer/insider like Pasha.
The guy's take is like saying Black Panther is about Killmonger and Shuri. It's a horrible take, but nerdrotic knows his audience and how to get clicks (and therefore make money). Afterall you watched the video, shared it, and I watched it because you shared it and now I can never get those ~11 minutes of my life back (always watch review videos at 2x speed).

Though I agree with Pasha quite a bit he's not that successful a writer and not that much of an insider. He would not know what Chapek is up to or people at that level. He probably shook hands with them at some point, or saw them in the cafeteria.

nush

Gold Member
It's a horrible take, but nerdrotic knows his audience and how to get clicks (and therefore make money). Afterall you watched the video, shared it, and I watched it because you shared it and now I can never get those ~11 minutes of my life back (always watch review videos at 2x speed).

Man, these channels are so stupid hating on popular things that everyone loves. Don't they realize they'll be as popular as ManaByte ManaByte if they agree that this film is good. I don't know how they are still in business appealing to the minority opinion. What a waste of clicks, dumb fucks.

This guy doesn't hate on the movie, look how much better his metrics are. (y)

Man, these channels are so stupid hating on popular things that everyone loves. Don't they realize they'll be as popular as ManaByte ManaByte if they agree that this film is good. I don't know how they are still in business appealing to the minority opinion. What a waste of clicks, dumb fucks.

This guy doesn't hate on the movie, look how much better his metrics are. (y)

You are confusing me for someone who gives a fuck if someone likes or dislikes a movie. Not sure what the cheap shot on manabyte has to do with anything either.

My original reply, if you had been bothered to read it, had to do with the original user posting a video from nerdrotic where nerdrotic calls the movie a Xialing movie as opposed to a Shang Chi movie which is idiotic. I said it was a horrible take and it is. Not liking the movie is fine. I don't give a shit if he hated it, but his reasoning for saying it's not a Shang Chi movie is retarded.

And no, I'm not wasting my time watching another random review - whether good or bad - that you happened to have found somewhere on youtube.

EDIT: Based on your selective editing of my post, where you removed me comparing his take to saying Black Panther was like a Shuri and Killmonger movie you knew exactly what you were doing and you're trying to be a troll. Good job, I guess?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
You are confusing me for someone who gives a fuck if someone likes or dislikes a movie. Not sure what the cheap shot on manabyte has to do with anything either.

My original reply, if you had been bothered to read it, had to do with the original user posting a video from nerdrotic where nerdrotic calls the movie a Xialing movie as opposed to a Shang Chi movie which is idiotic. I said it was a horrible take and it is. Not liking the movie is fine. I don't give a shit if he hated it, but his reasoning for saying it's not a Shang Chi movie is retarded.

And no, I'm not wasting my time watching another random review - whether good or bad - that you happened to have found somewhere on youtube.

That's a weak, deflective and contradictory reply. Well done.

That's a weak, deflective and contradictory reply. Well done.
nicholas-cage-funny.gif

Sure bud, keep trolling.

Marvel movies are so great and have become so popular, people can make a living criticizing them. Audiences are sick and tired of PR fluff pieces and fake hype produced by access media. If these reviews wouldn't reflect the sentiment of a large portion of movie goers, nobody would watch them. It is clear that these reviews resonate with a lot of people. Simply dismissing any criticism as 'outrage farming' is reductive and reeks of corporate damage mitigation.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
selectively editing

Editing means I made a change to what was quoted. So please show me the before and after "Edits" I made. For those of you that don't give a shit, I'm aware I'm entertaining and idiot with child like debating skills.

Claims I'm editing, then edits his post so I might not see the reply. You can't make this shit up...

yc0fACF.gif

Eo6qCcl.png

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I watched and became pretty good at martial arts ... Mimicking isn't hard. And figuring out how to apply the movements isn't hard either. I was formally trained later ... And even then I watched and mimicked movements more advanced than where I was. I even mimicked how to do a triple axle and I'm not a skater.

Same thing with shooting a gun. If you pay attention to the details of movement, you can do it too.
Have you gone up against a trained one with the mimicked moves and proven to be as capable?

You need a teacher and training partners to become a great martial artist

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Have you gone up against a trained one with the mimicked moves and proven to be as capable?

You need a teacher and training partners to become a great martial artist

With the more advanced moves I copied, yes. In sparring matches. I was quite good.

If you've never taken up Martial arts, you won't get what I mean.

Ulysses 31

With the more advanced moves I copied, yes. In sparring matches. I was quite good.

If you've never taken up Martial arts, you won't get what I mean.
I don't doubt you can be better than average or good but going up against grand masters is a stretch.

If there are examples of self taught martial artists doing well in prestige tournaments, that would make it more believable.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't doubt you can be better than average or good but going up against grand masters is a stretch.

If there are examples of self taught martial artists doing well in prestige tournaments, that would make it more believable.

There are actually very few grandmasters in the world. And Shang-Chi's sister wasn't going up against grandmasters... In fact,

She got swatted away like a fly when she tried going up against her father AND Death Dealer in separate fights

Prestige tournaments like the Olympics? If I had kept at it, I'd have been good enough to do that. I can hold my own in a fight but people at THAT high level? If I had kept at it for another year or 3... I could have. But my family couldn't afford the monthly fee for the school after a while. Other bills had to take priority. Plus my Tourette got in the way. My teen years were tough.

And the sister (I cannot remember her name) had years of practice on her own .. learning increasingly more advanced things ... She listened and watched what they did and said. I only got up so high... Not to black belt. She basically did. All the way til he left... She developed her own style and after running away, she was able to hone her skills.

I still want to see Shang-Chi whoop Danny Rand's behind. That dude didn't even TRAIN for his fight scenes and wasn't there for most of them (the Iron Fist dude). Simu did all his fight scenes himself.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Hawkeye's marksman ability is like almost super human. He does stuff that shouldn't really possible for someone that isn't enhanced. Granted they've dialed him down compared to the comics but it's still pretty wild.

This one isn't full force but the one that comes to mind of the top of my head is Widow running from Hulk on the heli carrier in the first Avengers. He's casually barreling through it and slaps Widow into a wall. They downplayed it with softer hitting sounds but if a guy going through steel, or whatever it's made out of, like it's paper. Even a slap from him should be doing major bodily damage. Widow is just a highly trained human so she should have been out for quite awhile but she's barely affected for the rest of the film.
I remember when I first saw that I thought she’d be dead or majorly damaged. Best example I think. The bow and arrow stuff was pretty believable as a lucky shot in shang.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Also... It's pretty believable for someone to have a natural aptitude in archery or martial arts... Gina Davis had a natural aptitude in archery and almost qualified to go to the Olympics. Some people are naturals at certain physical endeavors. Like Shang's sister.

Ulysses 31

There are actually very few grandmasters in the world. And Shang-Chi's sister wasn't going up against grandmasters... In fact,

She got swatted away like a fly when she tried going up against her father AND Death Dealer in separate fights
My point was more how she holds her own against the trained Shang-Chi who should be something close to a Master(?). If she does fail so easily against the others(dunno their power levels but I assume it's very high) then it shows the movie is at least somewhat self aware with the self training which is a good thing. (y)
Even if we go a rank lower to just Master I still think you'd need a teacher and training partner to reach that level.
Prestige tournaments like the Olympics? If I had kept at it, I'd have been good enough to do that. I can hold my own in a fight but people at THAT high level? If I had kept at it for another year or 3... I could have. But my family couldn't afford the monthly fee for the school after a while. Other bills had to take priority. Plus my Tourette got in the way. My teen years were tough.

And the sister (I cannot remember her name) had years of practice on her own .. learning increasingly more advanced things ... She listened and watched what they did and said. I only got up so high... Not to black belt. She basically did. All the way til he left... She developed her own style and after running away, she was able to hone her skills.

I still want to see Shang-Chi whoop Danny Rand's behind. That dude didn't even TRAIN for his fight scenes and wasn't there for most of them (the Iron Fist dude). Simu did all his fight scenes himself.
Any tournament where serious martial artists compete really.

There are some important things you won't experience without a training partner like the "correct" feel of the physical motions(harder to detect flaws in techniques) or an opponent trying to control you while you control yourself.

You seem to be discussing that you can be proficient with just self training while I'm talking about going up against highly trained martial artists with just self training. The latter is something I'm having trouble buying with the info I know so far from the movie.

Ulysses 31

Also... It's pretty believable for someone to have a natural aptitude in archery or martial arts... Gina Davis had a natural aptitude in archery and almost qualified to go to the Olympics. Some people are naturals at certain physical endeavors. Like Shang's sister.
But did she develop that level of archery in just a few days? I can buy the sister has a talent for martial arts but unless she's taskmaster's sister or something it's still a hard sell for me that she can best Shang-Chi(even if he isn't really trying and just wants to deescalate the fight).

Pagusas

Elden Member
But did she develop that level of archery in just a few days? I can buy the sister has a talent for martial arts but unless she's taskmaster's sister or something it's still a hard sell for me that she can best Shang-Chi(even if he isn't really trying and just wants to deescalate the fight).
I can't get your argument, he wasn't "bested", he never fought.
She was out to punish him and he was full on 100% defense and in shock at seeing her. Her KO blow came when he had his guard 100% down and thought she was walking away, a cheap shot, that even then didnt knock him out, just put him on the ground. Being in shock and messing with ones emotion can take down the most hardened warrior to an amateur. AKA his head wasn't in the game at all.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

She was out to punish him and he was full on 100% defense and in shock at seeing her. Her KO blow came when he had his guard 100% down and thought she was walking away, a cheap shot, that even then didnt knock him out, just put him on the ground. Being in shock and messing with ones emotion can take down the most hardened warrior to an amateur. AKA his head wasn't in the game at all.

You're arguing with someone who hasn't watched the movie and is instead basing his entire argument on a YouTube video that deliberately omitted facts about the movie.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks good for movies for the rest of the year. Due to Shang-Chi opening big, Sony moved up their shitty Venom sequel two weeks:

Ulysses 31

He gets defeated. Being on the defensive in a fight is still being in a fight. If he lost completely due to his mental state then yeah Nerdrotic's description is inaccurate and I'll keep that in mind in his future reviews.

TheMan

I had no idea there was a marvel movie opening up. How does this character fit in the universe, btw? Can we expect him to be part of the eventual xmen/avengers crossover

Toons

He gets defeated. Being on the defensive in a fight is still being in a fight. If he lost completely due to his mental state then yeah Nerdrotic's description is inaccurate and I'll keep that in mind in his future reviews.

You really need to just watch it. That reviewer is full of BS

Shang Chi and everyone else thinks the fight is over when he gets hit. Even the audience doesn't see it coming because she plays it like she's done fighting him and about to exit the ring.

This is his first time seeing her in years and they are both affected by it visibly. Just watch the movie lol.

Toons

I had no idea there was a marvel movie opening up. How does this character fit in the universe, btw? Can we expect him to be part of the eventual xmen/avengers crossover
Shang Chi has been a longtime Avenger and has trained and sparred with many other heroes. He'll definitely be showing up elsewhere.

He has further plotlines laid out in the movie but im not going to go into detail. I will say he definitely has his own little pocket of the MCU as of now and you need little baggage to watch this movie

Billbofet

Took my son to see this. I think it's just okay. I don't understand the reviews gushing over it.
The first third is great. Imaginative fight choreography, funny scenes, a good setup intro. The rest was just okay. I guess I'm tired of the "accept who you really are" chestnut in almost every origin movie that once actualized, the hero becomes invincible.
C+ overall. The main character felt like a side character to his sister and Awkafina. Also, the special effects in this are trash. Like, ten years ago they would have looked bad.
One huge positive is the main villain is terrific. Aside from him being more than two dimensional with actual motivation, the actor just freaking crushed it - every scene.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Took my son to see this. I think it's just okay. I don't understand the reviews gushing over it.
The first third is great. Imaginative fight choreography, funny scenes, a good setup intro. The rest was just okay. I guess I'm tired of the "accept who you really are" chestnut in almost every origin movie that once actualized, the hero becomes invincible.
C+ overall. The main character felt like a side character to his sister and Awkafina. Also, the special effects in this are trash. Like, ten years ago they would have looked bad.
One huge positive is the main villain is terrific. Aside from him being more than two dimensional with actual motivation, the actor just freaking crushed it - every scene.

A side character? How? He was central to the whole movie (it's named after him). And he was in most scenes and most of the flashbacks were of him. I don't get this line of thought. Did you watch the same movie everyone else did?

Billbofet

A side character? How? He was central to the whole movie (it's named after him). And he was in most scenes and most of the flashbacks were of him. I don't get this line of thought. Did you watch the same movie everyone else did?
Yup, we most likely saw the exact same movie. I said it "felt" like he was a side character. Quantity of scenes does not matter.
He was great with the action, and he had good chemistry alongside Awkwafina, but he just doesn't have the presence any of the other mains have.
Compare him to his father, his aunt, Awkwafina, and even his sister - he felt like more of a part of an ensemble - just my opinion. Maybe he'll have more personality and weight in the next movie he's in.

sol_bad

Nearly made it's production budget back in 4 days so that's a very good start. Now to wait and see if it has good legs.

Editing means I made a change to what was quoted. So please show me the before and after "Edits" I made. For those of you that don't give a shit, I'm aware I'm entertaining and idiot with child like debating skills.

Claims I'm editing, then edits his post so I might not see the reply. You can't make this shit up...

yc0fACF.gif

Eo6qCcl.png
you-see-me-trollin-trolling.gif

I already wasted enough of my time engaging with a troll like you, so I'm done here.

RAÏSanÏa

Haven't seen Shang-Chi yet(waiting for vaccine passport at theaters next week), but the criticism about side-character provided a smile yesterday when rewatching the celebrated Nick Fury's Captain America: The Winter Soldier starring Widow and introducing Falcon. While Fury was prominent in much of the film with his own arc and scenes without the Captain, both Fury and to a lesser degree Widow established character for the leads and Marvel storyline while still being a Captain America movie. Expect it's much the same for Shang-Chi and that there will be no mistaking a Shang-Chi movie from other MCU movies.

I am realizing that the troll known as nush has the grammar skills, and the IQ, of a retard:

"For those of you that don't give a shit, I'm aware I'm entertaining and idiot with child like debating skills."

Anyways, on we go with the topic. Good weekend for the movie and it seems like it has a chance of breaking 200MM domestic.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nah that Tweet is perfect. He started out as a stock photo model, and now he broke the Labor Day box office record when people were screaming his movie would flop.
Eh. He's already had to delete the fortnite tweet. I'm not saying he SHOULD get canceled, no one should, but he seems too wrapped up in SM and I think he will eventually get gina'd in some fashion for running against some Disney narrative.

Dude seems to be an insufferable c*nt.

Also, the movie had one of the worst opening weekends for a Marvel flick. Worse than Ant-Man & the Wasp and Black Widow which wasn't such a big success either, otherwise Johansson would not have sued Disney.

nsRFwmw.jpg

Labour day is considered a cursed opening slot, so the movie really didn't have much to compete with anyway. The desperate attempts at trying to make this movie look like such a runaway smash-hit are pure cringe.
As usual, don't believe the hype. You don't need box office numbers to go watch a frikkin' movie.

Last edited:

Shouta

Yup, we most likely saw the exact same movie. I said it "felt" like he was a side character. Quantity of scenes does not matter.
He was great with the action, and he had good chemistry alongside Awkwafina, but he just doesn't have the presence any of the other mains have.
Compare him to his father, his aunt, Awkwafina, and even his sister - he felt like more of a part of an ensemble - just my opinion. Maybe he'll have more personality and weight in the next movie he's in.

Thinking about it, I've seen this criticism in general for quite a number of movies and not just Marvel films. I wonder if it's simply because the audience follows the main character for most of the film and so they've gotten comfy with them. When a good scene with another character that isn't the protagonist happens, it really pops because it's different. Shang-Chi has that for sure. Main character has a bunch of big action scenes while the support characters have just a little bit themselves but because we get just a little bit, it really just stands out for being different. The other thing is that it might be because Simu Liu has a way bigger ratio of action to character interaction than the other characters do. That may affect our perception of him since he's doing way more punching than talking, relative to the rest of the cast.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My bro and his fam saw it and they thought it was good. I dont care what his kids say about it, but even he said it was good. And he's like me.... very cynical about cheesy superhero movies.

Based on that, I'll check it out some time.

I dont follow comics, so originally I didn't know there was even a superhero named Shang-Chi in Marvel's universe. Must had been a super low key character casuals like me would never know.

Last edited:

sol_bad

My bro and his fam saw it and they thought it was good. I dont care what his kids say about it, but even he said it was good. And he's like me.... very cynical about cheesy superhero movies.

Based on that, I'll check it out some time.

I dont follow comics, so originally I didn't know there was even a superhero named Shang-Chi in Marvel's universe. Must had been a super low key character casuals like me would never know.

He had a comic called Master of Kung Fu in 1973 that ran for 125 issues. Also another black and white comic called Deadly Hands of Kung Fu that ran for 33 issues.
Since the early 90's he hasn't really had a book though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems like this movie has done great. Also were still in covid times where many people want to avoid close contact with people even if the city says things are open. Got to give every movie a break. The movie watching walk up crowd has dropped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom