• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

SafeOrAlone

Banned
AJmlbaj.jpg
Damn, this dude sort of acts likes a child.

It’s hard for me to imagine celebrating a victory like that by continuously trolling social media “haters” or whatever.

I think it comes across much more classy to just let the results do the talking, but he is obviously free to lower himself to the level of YouTube trolls.

the villain in this movie is super badass though. Hope we can see more of him.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Paramount should feel like fucking retards for moving all their movies AGAIN.

I was going to see TWO Cruise missile movies. But, now my hype for them is gone. POOF. I don't have any desire to see Top Gun or Mission Impossible any more because of these- no doubt at this point- political moves disguised as concern for public health.

I wasn't going to see Shang-Chi in the theater, but now I just might.

jason10mm

Gold Member
To be fair labor day has been a movie graveyard since forever. I don't think it will suddenly become a popular release date once the normal cycle resumes, if that ever does. We'll see next week if this was all the pent up demand or if WoM gives it legs. I wonder what it would have done had it a D+ premium release as well.

Damn, this dude sort of acts likes a child.

It’s hard for me to imagine celebrating a victory like that by continuously trolling social media “haters” or whatever.

I think it comes across much more classy to just let the results do the talking, but he is obviously free to lower himself to the level of YouTube trolls.

the villain in this movie is super badass though. Hope we can see more of him.

Agreed, on all those.
I wouldn’t mind a standalone Mandarin movie going through his past, love Tony Leung.

I also noticed this film felt like a mixture of set pieces from a bunch of classic Chinese martial arts and wuxia films (plus a scene from triad fight from Infernal Affairs) with a Marvel climactic final hoard battle thrown in at the end.

PS: They should’ve asked me to play Shang Chi instead of this child. Lol

manfestival

I will probably watch this movie very soon but the idea of supporting that main actor after how big of a douche he has been. Kinda irks me but the reviews seem kinda solid even though these days reviews are less reliable than they have ever been for objective perspective.

Billbofet

I will probably watch this movie very soon but the idea of supporting that main actor after how big of a douche he has been. Kinda irks me but the reviews seem kinda solid even though these days reviews are less reliable than they have ever been for objective perspective.
I feel reviews the past several years are weighted very heavily on the cast and creators vs. the content.
That said, it's a solid and entertaining movie. It's Marvel, so you know what you're getting going in. No surprises here. Like, literally none.

Toons

Simu posting those clickbait thumbnails is gold, i don't care what anyone says.

All those cringetubers have to backpedal now. "Childish" is more that the response they deserve. Simu is putting food on their table obviously. He can at least get his digs in.

And people actually getting mad at this guy for enjoying his movies success? Nonsense. Grow some skin if someone celebrating a win offends you, please.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Dude seems to be an insufferable c*nt.

Also, the movie had one of the worst opening weekends for a Marvel flick. Worse than Ant-Man & the Wasp and Black Widow which wasn't such a big success either, otherwise Johansson would not have sued Disney.

nsRFwmw.jpg

Labour day is considered a cursed opening slot, so the movie really didn't have much to compete with anyway. The desperate attempts at trying to make this movie look like such a runaway smash-hit are pure cringe.
As usual, don't believe the hype. You don't need box office numbers to go watch a frikkin' movie.
It has the best opening Labor Day weekend ever…..during a pandemic… and you think it’s not doing well because bigger established names did better. LOL. It did amazingly well for having an unestablish Asian lead king fu movie and a more or less niche marvel character. It’s an outstanding success.

YukiOnna

Happy movie is doing well. I thought it'd be a sleeper hit, but glad it's a breakout. I know I shouldn't bring up Black Widow again, but had way more theater goers in my local cinema compared to that.

Alcibiades

I don't really have a problem with the guy's (Shang-Chi star) comments so far - he's obviously excited and is treating it like a passion project (who wouldn't!?). There is a contingent of lazy and/or hysteria-driven Americans that got used to streaming on Day 1 that were probably rooting for this to fail - the ones that got used to curbside pickup, delivery, and shopping for everything online. People wanted this to fail so that Disney would be forced into day-and-date streaming releases.

On top of that it looks like there is a dozen (probably less) very outspoken right-wing Youtubers hating on this for anti-SJW reasons. Not a fan of woke culture but these Marvel movies are pretty tame. Asian movie stars and themes have had a historical presence in Hollywood so who cares if Marvel is digging up an Asian superhero? Gotta keep things fresh. Anyway, considering the hate this movie got from the COVID hysteria crowd ("I'll never step foot in a movie theater again") and the right-wing trolls, I think I can give this guy a break for celebrating this one.

I saw the movie in Dolby 2D and enjoyed it. Went to see it again in 2D 4DX (there were separate 2D and 3D showings for 4DX - which adds water, wind, and chair moving effects). Now that I've done 4DX for this I wish I had been doing it for all the major movies the last few months. I would never do it on a first viewing, it's way too distracting, but on a 2nd or 3rd viewing it's a fund experience that feels like a theme park ride.

Also want to say how happy I am the 3D fad is "over" (at least until Avatar 2 I guess). I never once had a good experience with it. Always a blurry, dark mess.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Something I'd like to add for the people who think Marvel are stupid for releasing a film about Shang Chi because "no one has heard of him". Most likely those very same people love to laude over the Blade film and how amazing it was. Guess what, no one knew wtf Blade was back then in the 90's either, comic readers barely knew who he was. He was primarily in the Tomb of Dracula comics (25 issues) from 1973 and didn't get a self titled book until 1994 which only lasted 10 issues. Followed by a few short comic series.

Blade 1994 - 10 issues
Blade 1998 - 1 issue
Blade 1998 - 3 issues
Blade 1999 - 6 issues
Blade 2002 - 5 issues
Blade 2006 - 12 issues

Blade has never been popular and I wish people would stop acting all high and mighty thinking movies shouldn't be made because they are C, D or F tier characters in comics.
It's such a dumb reasoning.

Alcibiades

3N9Xujo.png

So, it opened about where Ant-Man and the Wasp did, which came at time of significant MCU awareness. Now that Endgame finished telling the story, it was always going to be a harder sell to get people to continue turning out. Considering the circumstances (COVID!), it did really well. I feel bad for Black Widow. No reason why it couldn't have gotten at least a 2-week window before putting out a pristine copy out for all the pirate sites. Black Widow would have easily done $100 million+ opening and $250 million+ total if i hadn't been kneecapped by the day-and-date release.

Alcibiades

OK I take back what I said lol. Not completely but you gotta choose your battles.

Like dude, you are incredibly lucky to have been chosen for this role. Tons of other talented, good-looking Asians were passed over and you got your shot. Of course, your own talent and passion had a lot to do with that. Take pride, but this snarky comment at a stock photo company is silly. People sign contracts, and sometimes are paid pennies on the dollars for what they are worth. That is very common when first starting out. Yeah there are some nasty examples, like how DC and Marvel have often not been generous with their writers and artists, but being a stock photo model is probably not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I think attacking your haters is OK, but attacking a company that previously hired you because they made money off your labor - that's what every company out there does, from Amazon to McDonalds to Walmart.

Last edited:

According to multiple sources, including HollywoodsMagazine and Glamour Fame, Simu Liu’s net worth jumped to $19 million in 2021 when he took his turn as latest leading man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This is an incredible leap from his prior net worth of $4 million, based on HollywoodsMagazine estimates.

lPslObu.jpg

Oh man, I thought those stock photos were photoshopped, now this just made things more interesting. lol
He really should stop being so reactive to others' tweets though. But this whole stock photo thing is hilarious.

Ownage

Was camp af. Awkwafina is obnoxious as hell, was the worst thing about the movie. The boss fight with dragons was fun tho.

Ok, so the movie is on the low side of the MCU box offices but everyday has a news stating how successful it has been. What am I missing here?

When I choose to avoid spoilers because most of the time there isn't day and date releases in China THE LAST PLACE I'd be hanging out in is the OT for that movie. I think after over one week of the movie being massivley sucessful people should be allowed to discuss it now.
You live in China?

Top Bottom