• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

Javthusiast

Banned
I think that’s why he’s being paroled.
One of his pen pals could be

Hot Dog GIF

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I liked the second episode more than the first despite the much slower pace. Maslany has some serious comedic chops.

I think the "escape" will only help the Abomination's case, since it will show that even though he had the chance for freedom he willingly returned to prison.

sol_bad

I liked the second episode more than the first despite the much slower pace. Maslany has some serious comedic chops.

I think the "escape" will only help the Abomination's case, since it will show that even though he had the chance for freedom he willingly returned to prison.

True but he isn't serving his time as he should be. That should deduct browny points.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
second episode was good!, Tim Roth was great,overall i am enjoying it, it would be better without the endless douchbag or doofus portrayal of almost all the males but we're in that era.
I like the 4th wall breaking..should be more of that..
I think this shows writers could learn from Justified's portrayal of Raylan Givens ..Starts off being cocky badass..but as the show progressed you realized he's a buffoon as much as the hillbillies he's always arresting. most of the situations he ends up in are due to his arrogance and cockyness.. made the show funner, made the character more appealing having such a glaring flaw.
only 2 episodes in so who knows.

I just want to watch something consistent, it's been a while since I was able to distract myself with any TV series, this one seems to be doing it's job rather okay.

FireFly

Really? They showed him and there is no hint if he is still a badass villain or if he turned into a dull bitch?
Well he said he gave up turning into Abomination and blamed the Super Soldier serum for his behaviour. We know the serum doesn't work that way and later on we find out about him escaping the prison to fight in Macau. So there are signs he is still a villain or at least not fully reformed.

GymWolf

Well he said he gave up turning into Abomination and blamed the Super Soldier serum for his behaviour. We know the serum doesn't work that way and later on we find out about him escaping the prison to fight in Macau. So there are signs he is still a villain or at least not fully reformed.
He was a hot shithead before taking the serum if i remember well, hopefully he is still the same charming evil cunt.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well that's just wong

I don't know if you were part of the Shang-Chi thread, but he didn't watch the movie. He just relied on a five-hour YouTube video to form his opinion on it.

He was fighting Wong in the movie (which is shown in She-Hulk) and Wong used his sling-ring portals to win the fight. But you can't expect agenda-driven YouTube channels to accurately describe what happens in one of these shows/movies in the current era.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I don't know if you were part of the Shang-Chi thread, but he didn't watch the movie. He just relied on a five-hour YouTube video to form his opinion on it.

He was fighting Wong in the movie (which is shown in She-Hulk) and Wong used his sling-ring portals to win the fight. But you can't expect agenda-driven YouTube channels to accurately describe what happens in one of these shows/movies in the current era.
If only there were youtube clips of the whole fight.

John Bilbo

I just wanted to make a pun 😔

daffyduck

Did the Orphan Black series end with a proper finale or was it cancelled? I gave up on it after season 3 (I think) because certain plot threads were becoming tiresome. Maslany was very good though in that, I agree.
I gave up around that time too, but because it became too much like "this is Canada, or wait, is it the USA?".

They didn't want to turn off American viewers, but who cares about turning off the viewers in the same country as the show is supposed to be based in.

Konnor

The Critical Drinker made another video about this show and it's not what you'd expect. Instead of spending 15 minutes talking about how cringe that infamous feminist dialogue with Bruce was, he was so frustrated with the terrible writing of the episode that in the first 10 mins he tried to make the dialogue itself seem like it made sense by pitching ideas of how the show should have turned out with that dialogue intact. The dude who hates woke shit tried to make them look legit because the writing annoyed him that much, I personally find this hilarious. And I've got to say, this random youtuber on the internet pitched off the top of his head a far better constructed episode than what a multibillion dollar corporation could which is absolutely pathetic.

sol_bad

The Critical Drinker made another video about this show and it's not what you'd expect. Instead of spending 15 minutes talking about how cringe that infamous feminist dialogue with Bruce was, he was so frustrated with the terrible writing of the episode that in the first 10 mins he tried to make the dialogue itself seem like it made sense by pitching ideas of how the show should have turned out with that dialogue intact. The dude who hates woke shit tried to make them look legit because the writing annoyed him that much, I personally find this hilarious. And I've got to say, this random youtuber on the internet pitched off the top of his head a far better constructed episode than what a multibillion dollar corporation could which is absolutely pathetic.

Nah.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Yup, a pretty good synopsis of choices that, while working for a certain crowd, would drive me nuts. Lack of proper set up and inconsistent character building is rampant these days.

Now I gotta read the reviews of his book, he put his money where is mouth is, for sure.

I wonder if anyone in the writing room is watching that and nodding their head, or they will just accuse him of mansplaining writing to them.

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Crit's hilarious! and he's kinda right that alot of the writing is shit, but I think his premise is wrong here, cus its effectively a sitcom not a netflix daredevil era 18+ action/adventure show, so its not the kind of show that would be that serious.
if it was I would agree more.

Konnor

Crit's hilarious! and he's kinda right that alot of the writing is shit, but I think his premise is wrong here, cus its effectively a sitcom not a netflix daredevil era 18+ action/adventure show, so its not the kind of show that would be that serious.

I'd partly agree if the episode was the least bit funny. I think he acknowledges it in the video that his idea is a bit more on the serious side but do they even have to lose given how spectacularly it fails at being a proper comedy? Plus there have been many, many comedies that took their characters and story seriously or conveyed serious or dark themes through comedy or even got serious when they had to.

Last edited:
If it's a sitcom (aka "situational comedy"), where's the funny parts? I think one joke in the first two episodes made me do a slight grin.

I like She-Hulk, the character, but the dialogue writing is hot garbage on this show.

sol_bad

Even the original She-Hulk origin is too serious. Imagine having to introduce a mob crew and a back story around them wanting to kill Jen and then having a bunch of episodes dealing with them.

No thanks. I think the change was for the better for this particular show.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Even the original She-Hulk origin is too serious. Imagine having to introduce a mob crew and a back story around them wanting to kill Jen and then having a bunch of episodes dealing with them.

No thanks. I think the change was for the better for this particular show.
You don't need any of that mob stuff. Just have the crash as is, Jen is bleeding out, near death, Bruce makes an improvised syringe and tube set and does a fresh whole blood transfusion until help arrives.

Easy peasy, so easy in fact there must have been strong reasons why they DIDN'T do this.

FireFly

I'd partly agree if the episode was the least bit funny. I think he acknowledges it in the video that his idea is a bit more on the serious side but do they even have to lose given how spectacularly it fails at being a proper comedy? Plus there have been many, many comedies that took their characters and story seriously or conveyed serious or dark themes through comedy or even got serious when they had to.
The origin sequence wasn't actually intended to setup the show and was originally going to be introduced in episode 8 (!). It was moved to the first episode at the last minute after test screenings panicked Marvel due to fans not knowing enough about She-Hulk's character in the comics.

So yeah, the writers themselves admit the origin story was never intended to carry the weight of the show. In some sense that makes the start of the show weaker. But it also reflects the fact that the writers haven't revealed their hand regarding what the story is really about yet.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The origin sequence wasn't actually intended to setup the show and was originally going to be introduced in episode 8 (!). It was moved to the first episode at the last minute after test screenings panicked Marvel due to fans not knowing enough about She-Hulk's character in the comics.

So yeah, the writers themselves admit the origin story was never intended to carry the weight of the show. In some sense that makes the start of the show weaker. But it also reflects the fact that the writers haven't revealed their hand regarding what the story is really about yet.
For a classic TV show the ENTIRE setup used to be laid out in the opening credits. I'm kinda surprised they didn't go that route. Hell, the old Hulk show did that very thing.

Look at this. All you need to know about the Hulks backstory in 1 minute.

RAÏSanÏa

Mr Holloway is a Skrull

Has to be
I was thinking her friend was replaced. She was slightly different at the new office and the date comment seemed accentuated. It was necessary to keep her out of the family scene, but does provide means for an another plot line.

His reaction to agnostic did seem very Skrull. lol Unprecedented!

Last edited:

John Bilbo

For a classic TV show the ENTIRE setup used to be laid out in the opening credits. I'm kinda surprised they didn't go that route. Hell, the old Hulk show did that very thing.

Look at this. All you need to know about the Hulks backstory in 1 minute.

That's pretty cool

RAÏSanÏa

Considering how Wanda changed after a sitcom theme, the lawyer show theme could be a lead up to a specific development.

Chaos at work.

MilkLizard

Bruce is a doctor (not medical I know) well at least enough of one to do a blood transfusion, he has his own secret lab...

Is it so hard to believe they could have not just had her dying of cancer and Bruce caring for his cousin and not wanting her to die gives her a blood transfusion as a last ditch attempt to save her life?

It honestly felt weird that they didn't go with this angle... it would have shown a very human connection between the two. I did feel very... out of place and a lazy way of doing it... why did Bruce invented a device that would allow him to bleed if hurt randomly? It just makes no sense to me.

Missed an obvious opening for story telling.

If they rushed through your cancer scenario here, which is very compelling I admit, like they did with the car crash it would feel weird IMO. Wouldn't really fit the tone of the show either, so I'm glad they went this way.

daffyduck

And of course Marvel can't resist adding some bs in every show. 'men tell me what to do' , 'men catcall me', 'men harass me' only to have her objectify captain America in the after credits scene. The irony. Tough I'm surprised they left out the 'white' in front of those lines
Jameela Jamil has stated "the show isn't meant to be misandrist". If you have to say it isn't misandrist...

sol_bad

That mid credits scene... LMBO! I loved it!

What's LMBO mean?

The 3rd episode was very much enjoyable, I like each episode more and more. Wasn't expecting Blonsky's case to be resolved so quickly, curious to see what other cases will come up now.

The mob shooting reference to her comic origin made me laugh. So did the jab at people saying "they should make their own!" crowd.

I want to know who the Wrecking crews boss is. Could it be Kingpin?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What's LMBO mean?

The 3rd episode was very much enjoyable, I like each episode more and more. Wasn't expecting Blonsky's case to be resolved so quickly, curious to see what other cases will come up now.

The mob shooting reference to her comic origin made me laugh. So did the jab at people saying "they should make their own!" crowd.

I want to know who the Wrecking crews boss is. Could it be Kingpin?

LMBO is laughing my butt off

And yeah... The dig at the "comics accurate/M-She-U" crowd was HILARIOUS!

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This show keeps getting better. The whole Megan Thee Stallion storybeat is so stupid it's awesome.

"oooo gross"

"I love harassing women in the workplace. It's my KICK, baby"

Edit: also looking like I may be right about The Abomination's defense

Last edited:

Toons

I love how TCD actually admits he doesn't understand thematic writing by trying to rewrite dialogue and completely negate the setting, tone and any semblance of consistency in the story.

Also it has to be clear to people know that he's basically on Disney's payroll right? Its to the point he's writing scripts for them

Anyway 3 eps in and yeah this show is brilliant. If you have seen episode 3 and still are unsure about the tone of this show than you have an agenda or haven't been paying attention. But it does a greta job and has some legit laughs. The whole story about an asgardian shape-shifting catfishing someone is something only Marvel could do like this and its great.

They also make fun of the online reaction to she hulk in a way that is way too close to how the real reaction was. Thats kinda sad

Top Bottom