• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder had no deadline during prototyping and over 2000 ideas were pitched.

brian0057

Banned
milCocs.png

In an inversion of the usual game development cycle, Wired, in an interview with the game's produces, Takashi Tezuka, reports that Super Mario Bros. Wonder basically had no deadline and the devs had free reins to do whatever they wanted.

HERE’S SOMETHING YOU don’t hear often in game development: When the team behind Super Mario Bros. Wonder was in the prototyping stage of the game, it had no due date. “I wanted to prevent people from saying, ‘We won’t make that deadline, so that’s why we didn’t do it—we can’t do it,’” producer Takashi Tezuka says. For the game’s director, Shiro Mouri, it was a very clear, and very positive, sign. They did not intend to make this game halfway.
“I do think people have ideas that Mario has to be a certain way. There are certain limitations that people have in their own brains,” says Tezuka. He asks his teams to throw away their limiting beliefs right out of the gate. “If you think it looks cool, it’s going to be fun. Do it.”

Source: https://www.wired.com/story/super-mario-bros-wonder-nintendo-switch-mouri-tezuka-interview/

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
milCocs.png

In an inversion of the usual game development cycle, Wired, in an interview with the game's produces, Takashi Tezuka, reports that Super Mario Bros. Wonder basically had no deadline and the devs had free reins to do whatever they wanted.

Source: https://www.wired.com/story/super-mario-bros-wonder-nintendo-switch-mouri-tezuka-interview/
In this case, it may have worked out well. Imagine if they had too much time though...could have ended up with Super Mario Bros of the Kingdom.

Wasn't this basically what dreams was and that was a naval gazing pile of shit?

It's about the people you have more than the process you use to get there in my opinion.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
still looks like a flash game though
Yeah, it really looks extremely unappealing. Most of all the animations. I can't believe they still haven't made a 2D Mario game that looks better than Super Mario World from 1990.
Man, when I play Mario Maker 2 on the switch I am always amazed how fucking good Super Mario World still looks. Not only iconic, better than any of the new 2D Mario’s.
Yep, the old 2D Marios had their own charme which look good even today, but this one? Meh.
Jesus Christ, Mario World didn't even look that good. It's a serviceable basic looking game that didn't even do anything to display the true potential of the SNES. Sonic 1 came out the same time and looks far better. F-Zero, too.

If you guys want Mario World play Mario World. No one's asking you to pay attention and give your terrible takes about what Nintendo makes, especially when there are fans making romhacks and fangames that i guarantee all 4 of you pay no attention to.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Game looks great and fun, instant buy. But I have to wonder if they fired the guy who suggested 1) Lets make a more interesting OLED console and 2) lets include a digitial copy of the game with the this special console.
Nintendo gives nothing away for free, even Capcom had a unique Monster hunter console with digital download. The Switch keeps on selling, it's incredible to see.

Robb

Gold Member
Neat approach but feels like it can be very risky unless you have a good director/lead. Looks like it turned out pretty darn great here though, probably because they weren’t working under any deadlines, which is very luxurious tbh.

Last edited:

Woopah

Game looks great and fun, instant buy. But I have to wonder if they fired the guy who suggested 1) Lets make a more interesting OLED console and 2) lets include a digitial copy of the game with the this special console.
Nintendo gives nothing away for free, even Capcom had a unique Monster hunter console with digital download. The Switch keeps on selling, it's incredible to see.
I guess it worked with TOTK, but I do think.its time for Nintendo to get more aggressive with Switch and game pricing.

Synless

Jesus Christ, Mario World didn't even look that good. It's a serviceable basic looking game that didn't even do anything to display the true potential of the SNES. Sonic 1 came out the same time and looks far better. F-Zero, too.

If you guys want Mario World play Mario World. No one's asking you to pay attention and give your terrible takes about what Nintendo makes, especially when there are fans making romhacks and fangames that i guarantee all 4 of you pay no attention to.
Why would I ever give a fuck about fan made games?

I never said I wanted more SMW, I said it had an iconic look. All Mario games had a unique look and feel to them, every fucking time. That is until the “New“ series came out and has reused the same flat, awful art style and physics for over a decade.

Top Bottom