• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

C-Jo

Y2Kev said:
*some people enjoy being dumped on, so I'm sure someone will object
I enjoy being dumped on to some extent, but due to the lack of save points, I did find that shit more annoying than usual in P4.

botticus

It's probably more a factor of the game type than anything, but I'm getting far more enjoyment out of SJ than I did DS after 15 hours of the former and giving up in the endgame of the latter after 35-40 hours.

Totakeke

The plot and scenario design sucks, but the game is still solid and the gameplay is what you'd expect from a good SMT game. For those complaining about Hama and Mudo skills, I'm actually disappointed that there wasn't more of those moments in this game. There's just a general lack of danger in the battles compared to other SMT games and this makes them so less interesting. The lack of danger also makes me just want to do autobattle rather than actually pay attention to what random enemies I'm fighting against. Weaknesses don't really much other than bosses and there's no reason for you to just wear a curse resistant armor for most of the game once you get your hands on one. The big instant-death spell in this game isn't even those two, it's stone. That happens even more rarely but it's not preventable until far later in the game. I'd say the bulk of the gameplay for me is in the dungeon crawling and crazy boss battles and not the battle system.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Totakeke said:
The plot and scenario design sucks, but the game is still solid and the gameplay is what you'd expect from a good SMT game. For those complaining about Hama and Mudo skills, I'm actually disappointed that there wasn't more of those moments in this game. There's just a general lack of danger in the battles compared to other SMT games and this makes them so less interesting. The lack of danger also makes me just want to do autobattle rather than actually pay attention to what random enemies I'm fighting against. Weaknesses don't really much other than bosses and there's no reason for you to just wear a curse resistant armor for most of the game once you get your hands on one. The big instant-death spell in this game isn't even those two, it's stone. That happens even more rarely but it's not preventable until far later in the game. I'd say the bulk of the gameplay for me is in the dungeon crawling and crazy boss battles and not the battle system.

If danger and difficulty has to be achieved through random death spells your game is cheap not difficult.

RoboManus

Neo Member
I don't find this game hard, I just reached the fourth area and have yet to game over. I equipped the mudo/hama resistant armor as soon as it was available... if anything this game is too easy. Then again, I know what to expect from the series..

Totakeke

HK-47 said:
If danger and difficulty has to be achieved through random death spells your game is cheap not difficult.

It's not random. It's preventable. And you can identify what demons can cast those spells. It's not like pixie can cast mudo suddenly on your character. You can also run away, you can equip equipment with the appropriate resistances, of course you can risk it without resistances and try to kill whatever demon can cast those spells before he can get to you. I like my SMT games to try to kill me at every turn rather than just having random encounters as artificial length buffers that do little to the gameplay. The savepoints in this game is so abundant and leveling up gives you a full hp and mana restore that you don't really ever run out of them. Sure, sometimes you can't run away and sometimes you get surprise attacks before you can do anything, but I'd rather have those seldom occurring elements rather than having random encounters something you mindlessly mash buttons on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Totakeke said:
It's not random. It's preventable. And you can identify what demons can cast those spells. It's not like pixie can cast mudo suddenly on your character. You can also run away, you can equip equipment with the appropriate resistances, of course you can risk it without resistances and try to kill whatever demon can cast those spells before he can get to you. I like my SMT games to try to kill me at every turn rather than just having random encounters as artificial length buffers that do little to the gameplay. The savepoints in this game is so abundant and leveling up gives you a full hp and mana restore that you don't really ever run out of them. Sure, sometimes you can't run away and sometimes you get surprise attacks before you can do anything, but I'd rather have those seldom occurring elements rather than having random encounters something you mindlessly mash buttons on.

Not having insta death doesnt suddenly make the game a button masher. The randoms are just easier overall compared to Nocturne or DDS.

Edit: There. And it applies to your whole argument, since I'd rather get beat down by force or having bad strategy over the lame mudo/hama spells.

Totakeke

HK-47 said:
Not having insta death doesnt suddenly make the game a button masher. The randoms are just easier overall compared to Nocturne or DDS.

I'm not sure whether you read the first post you quoted and then decided to only reply to one sentence within it.

Vamphuntr

How about we talk about the game itself and not the SMT brand and it's features for now.

So did Atlus publish any password for the password exclusive demons? I really want to get
demon heeho
. Someone on Gamefaqs published the codes he got using an action replay but that would be like cheating (they are not logic, they are the same style as you would get for any demon). Some passwords for the exclusive demons were the name of the staff of the game or some keywords or sentence. They were not like the others password for demons.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vamphuntr said:
How about we talk about the game itself and not the SMT brand and it's features for now.

So did Atlus publish any password for the password exclusive demons? I really want to get
demon heeho
. Someone on Gamefaqs published the codes he got using an action replay but that would be like cheating (they are not logic, they are the same style as you would get for any demon). Some passwords for the exclusive demons were the name of the staff of the game or some keywords or sentence. They were not like the others password for demons.

I dont see why we shouldnt do both.

HK-47 said:
I dont see why we shouldnt do both.

Nobody wants to read you making up flaws as you go along.

Listen to charlequin, or else me or someone else will tear apart your "complaints" and make you look even worse then you already made yourself look. (If that was even possible.)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What complaint is he making up?

SJ is great and I <3 it but it screws up some things that SMT typically doesn't screw up. Just a few things. But they can matter to people.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xs_mini_neo said:
Nobody wants to read you making up flaws as you go along.

Listen to charlequin, or else me or someone else will tear apart your "complaints" and make you look even worse then you already made yourself look. (If that was even possible.)

WTF? Did I insult you or something? The only reason I bother is cause this is a series I actually like. I mean I know LTTP thread foster criticism better than Official Threads, but still...

Totakeke

HK-47 said:

Edit: There. And it applies to your whole argument, since I'd rather get beat down by force or having bad strategy over the lame mudo/hama spells.

What does get beat down by force mean? Most of the time it's a one hit or two hit KO spell. Who doesn't heal himself to full after every random encounter in SMT games? It's funny you think that having an elemental spell hitting an elemental weakness and killing the monster is different from a one hit hama/mudo KO spell. It's preventable, can be anticipated, not random, determinable, avoidable, and you're wrong. What is the only random unavoidable thing is Asura Roga in boss fights and because Fog Breath doesn't seem to work quite the same way in this game.

Coxswain

Totakeke said:
It's random. You don't know that a demon has the skill until it uses the skill, or until you've fought it enough times that you can analyze its skills. Until that happens, there's no reasonable way to anticipate or deal with those abilities.

Even when you know that it could happen, every option you have for dealing with it is a poorer choice than just hoping it doesn't hit you. You don't know what enemies you'll be fighting in your next random encounter, so (for a large part of the game) there's no reason to equip armour that defends against Death. The opportunity cost of wearing it is higher than the benefits it gives over using more general protection: In other words, you'll gain more progress by being resistant to the physical attacks that nearly every enemy uses than you'll lose by occasionally eating a Mudo. Since you can't spend a turn to change your armour, apart from scripted/boss fights, there is never a smart time to be wearing Death-resistant armour, unless it also happens to have resistances for Physical, or whichever other non-random element is common to the current area.
Running away is similar, in that doing it repeatedly will in all likelihood result in more deaths from the experience deficiency, or at the very least more time wasted having to go back and get that experience back by fighting more enemies, than you're likely to lose to Mudo - plus, I don't imagine that running away is guaranteed to work anyway, so it's not even foolproof.
And, obviously, surprise attacks.

It's the definition of poor design. It ends the game not because the player made a poor choice, but because a random number generator said so. There are several very common scenarios where the player cannot in any way anticipate that it's coming. And when the player can anticipate that it's coming, in nearly every case, it's either too late for the player to make the relevant choice, the choice to avoid the random chance of dying to Mudo is more disadvantageous to the player, or both.

And yeah, Mudo or no Mudo, the random battles do not get even a mote more or less difficult. The only difference is that every 50 or 100 times you hit Auto-Battle on an easy fight, you'll be dead in three seconds instead of the enemy - which in all likelihood wouldn't have changed had you taken manual control and fought the battle yourself, because it's a shallow combat system, and Mudo operates on dice rolls rather than anything that the player does.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
WTF? Did I insult you or something? The only reason I bother is cause this is a series I actually like. I mean I know LTTP thread foster criticism better than Official Threads, but still...

Poor HK, it must suck being the reasonable one.

At least Coxswain will keep you company!

Yaweee

I'm at the second quest in Sector B, and really enjoying it so far.

Do you need to step onto a square in order for the EX Mission marker to appear on the map? I know that some reappear in old Sectors after you clear it for the first time, but do I have to go through and step on every single square to find all of the new missions?

Vamphuntr

Coxswain said:

Can we keep the mudo/hama crap out of the thread. It's in every SMT game anyway. Whinning in this thread won't change anything. I played the game for more than 50 hours and was mudoed only once and I had 4 sacrifice in my inventory anyway. Stone is much more dangerous than mudo in SJ. Keep in mind that you have the same power too. A lot of enemies are weak to mudo or hama. If the enemy is weak against it, it's 100% effective in strange journey (it will never miss). It's extremly useful in Sector H if you don't have the skills to exploit others weakness of the enemies. Enemies are so strong and have so much HP that Hamaon is a good way to kill some of them.

Are there any other demons besides Slepnir that have the Luster Candy (Is it supposed to be RaSuTa candy since it's rakukaja + sukukaja + tarukaja) skill? I'm trying to fuse him with a lot of other demons and it's never transferred. The d-source I got from him didn't contain it either :( .

C-Jo

Vamphuntr said:
A lot of enemies are weak to mudo or hama. If the enemy is weak against it, it's 100% effective in strange journey (it will never miss).
I don't think that's true actually.

In the
Horkos
fight, he'll periodically summon a Katakirauwa that by all accounts, is weak to Hama. But I've had it miss multiple times.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vamphuntr said:
Can we keep the mudo/hama crap out of the thread. It's in every SMT game anyway. Whinning in this thread won't change anything. I played the game for more than 50 hours and was mudoed only once and I had 4 sacrifice in my inventory anyway. Stone is much more dangerous than mudo in SJ. Keep in mind that you have the same power too. A lot of enemies are weak to mudo or hama. If the enemy is weak against it, it's 100% effective in strange journey (it will never miss). It's extremly useful in Sector H if you don't have the skills to exploit others weakness of the enemies. Enemies are so strong and have so much HP that Hamaon is a good way to kill some of them.

Are there any other demons besides Slepnir that have the Luster Candy (Is it supposed to be RaSuTa candy since it's rakukaja + sukukaja + tarukaja) skill? I'm trying to fuse him with a lot of other demons and it's never transferred. The d-source I got from him didn't contain it either :( .

http://smtsj.wikidot.com/demonsskillshttp://smtsj.wikidot.com/demonsskills

Will this help?

Totakeke

I don't know how someone can say that equipping curse-resistant armor is not a good idea and then go on to rant on how curse spells are bad. All that seems to say is that you want the game to be simpler and suit what you want rather than you playing around the battle system.

Anyway, I'll stop replying to this discussion since it's not really even an issue of there being no methods to prevent the spells, might as well talk about how to make a SMT game not a SMT game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Save points are pretty frequent and there are ways mid game and end game to be immune to both insta death types and still have a good loadout.

Vamphuntr

C-Jo said:
I don't think that's true actually.

In the
Horkos
fight, he'll periodically summon a Katakirauwa that by all accounts, is weak to Hama. But I've had it miss multiple times.

Maybe because it's a boss ally. He will always appear as ??? even if he is 100% analyzed. I've been grinding for hours in Sector H and Hamaon always hit when the ennemy is weak against it. Maybe I am extremly lucky :D I also use Herald Victor for casting this, not very good Ma stat and no hama boost or whatever.

Hk-47 said:

Awesome! Thanks a lot :D It seems Vivian's source has it :)

everyone seems to agree the game is too easy, there are too many checkpoints and the battles are a hold down the button affair. is there a harder difficulty level available to chose from, and if so, does anyone have any comments on it?

Vamphuntr

tetrisgrammaton said:
everyone seems to agree the game is too easy, there are too many checkpoints and the battles are a hold down the button affair. is there a harder difficulty level available to chose from, and if so, does anyone have any comments on it?

Depends on where you are in the game. In my case it became challenging with the sector F boss. Sector G boss was annoying too. Random encounter in G and H will kill you if you merely hold down the confirm button. Maybe you are very good at predicting the bosses weakness and the skills they used :O .

Dungeon wise it start to get complicated at sector E.

Totakeke

tetrisgrammaton said:

It's easier compared to other SMT games but it's still not that easy if you're new to this series. The boss battles are definitely still challenging but I think there's a lot less frequency of bosses/mid-bosses compared to other SMT games I've played. The difficulty of the random encounters do ramp up towards the end to more typical SMT levels but it's only a small part of the game.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at the difficulty unless you're already a SMT veteran and expect a very challenging game.

Yaweee

I've liked the difficulty of the game up to where I am now. There's plenty of random encounters that can kill me if I'm not careful, or unidentified demons that vastly outpower me. Can't say much about the boss fights, but even with the constant saves there's a decent sense of danger, enough to discourage people from exploring too much of the dungeon without returning to a save or heal point. Also, EX Missions give extra boss fights that are fairly powerful compared to how early you can unlock them, great if you're looking for a challenge. So you don't lose tons of progress when you die-- big whoop.

As with the rest of the SMT series, level (as in the actual demon level and not just the stats you gain when leveling up) is extremely important, so a few levels can make a huge difference. If you're intentionally leveling up to fuse specific demons, the game will likely be easy, but isn't that how the entire series works?

I do wish there was a higher difficult level for subsequent playthroughs, though.

Vamphuntr said:
Can we keep the mudo/hama crap out of the thread. It's in every SMT game anyway. Whinning in this thread won't change anything.

Devil Survivor had no Hama or Mudo skills, and in Raidou 2 the low level versions did 50% damage instead of insta-kills. So it's not some inherent trait of the SMT series that the creators are completely uninterested in changing.

Cep

Banned
Totakeke said:
It's easier compared to other SMT games but it's still not that easy if you're new to this series. The boss battles are definitely still challenging but I think there's a lot less frequency of bosses/mid-bosses compared to other SMT games I've played. The difficulty of the random encounters do ramp up towards the end to more typical SMT levels but it's only a small part of the game.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at the difficulty unless you're already a SMT veteran and expect a very challenging game.

I dunno, I am brand spanking new to the series, and I find the game to be extremely easy.

With no grinding at all, I was able to take the bosses down pretty easily and have had no trouble surviving the dungeons.

Even the EX missions I did before I quit were not too bad...

So...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Cep said:
I dunno, I am brand spanking new to the series, and I find the game to be extremely easy.

With no grinding at all, I was able to take the bosses down pretty easily and have had no trouble surviving the dungeons.

So...
Did you meet
Ouroboros
yet?

Vamphuntr

Cep said:

So...

In what sector are you?

Dresden

I'm not really finding it challenging, BUT I've yet to hit Eridanus, so who knows.

All the great books and shit coming out have really hampered my gameplay time. Not to mention that dumb thing called college.

Totakeke

Cep said:

So...

I don't know how you played the game but, I definitely had to fight most of the bosses more than once to figure out how to beat them. If you didn't have to grind at all (not just exp, money, fusing too) to beat the last few bosses, then I guess you would have to be at very high levels just by playing it your own style? Otherwise were you using guides to help you along?

Oh okay, so you stopped at Delphinus. Well, I would say it's just typical RPG levels of difficulty depending on your levels.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I'm not really finding it challenging, BUT I've yet to hit Eridanus, so who knows.

All the great books and shit coming out have really hampered my gameplay time. Not to mention that dumb thing called college.

Like what?

And yeah, college can be a roadblock to fun and games. Luckily I am an IT student, so at least I do not have to do the whole studying thing.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The difficulty, both dungeon design wise and enemies, have a huge spike in Sector E. If you can beat
Ouroboros
on the first try, you are a RPG master.

Cep

Banned
Totakeke said:
Oh okay, so you stopped at Delphinus. Well, I would say it's just typical RPG levels of difficulty depending on your levels.

Which I have the sneaking suspicion may have been too low.

But I suppose I never really got to the 'hard' parts. Although I cannot imagine the difficulty ratcheting that much.

Anyway, I am currently playing Devil Survivor. Any advice for setting up my stats in that one? I am thinking that I should just dump most of it in one stat, just for giggles.

I am thinking probably magic.

Vamphuntr

Archie said:
The difficulty, both dungeon design wise and enemies, have a huge spike in Sector E. If you can beat
Ouroboros
on the first try, you are a RPG master.

The bosses also get worse after this one. I can't believe people are saying this game is too easy.

Totakeke

I'd also say depending on how you play the game, the game can be easy or hard in the beginning. I did mine by trying to get all the demons possible and therefore I skipped a lot of random encounters too (which is so easy to do). I also tend to skip a lot of random encounters when I'm trying to explore a complicated area. I remember I beat Mitra (Sector B) at around Lv20 then finished Horkos (Sector C) at Lv26 and then had a tougher time with the random encounters at Sector D.

Yaweee

Cep said:

But I suppose I never really got to the 'hard' parts. Although I cannot imagine the difficulty ratcheting that much.

Anyway, I am currently playing Devil Survivor. Any advice for setting up my stats in that one? I am thinking that I should just dump most of it in one stat, just for giggles.

Yes, go magic.

Cep

Banned
Totakeke said:
I'd also say depending on how you play the game, the game can be easy or hard in the beginning. I did mine by trying to get all the demons possible and therefore I skipped a lot of random encounters too (which is so easy to do). I also tend to skip a lot of random encounters when I'm trying to explore a complicated area. I remember I beat Mitra (Sector B) at around Lv20 then finished Horkos (Sector C) at Lv26 and then had a tougher time with the random encounters at Sector D.

Beat Mitra at level 17-18 I think.

Homie was a pain in the ass, took me 3 tries.

Yaweee said:
Yes, go magic.

Sweet!

Though if I end up floundering at some point due to this advice, it is on your head.

Totakeke

Cep said:
Beat Mitra at level 17-18 I think.

Homie was a pain in the ass, took me 3 tries.

I remember having to grind a bit to fuse Fortuna? for Mitra because one of his spells keep killing my demons and I had the wrong resistances.

Vamphuntr

Cep said:

Magic is good but be careful. Don't dump all your point into only one. Skills you will crack will require certains stats to be equipped. If I remember well multi target spell required agility or another stat on top of magic to be able to equip them.

EDIT: A good number of passive abilities requires STR and VI. For Example, the ''element Rise'' passive skills required STR too I think.

Top Bottom