• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo consider a standard/pro version of the switch successor or stick to a single spec?

Nintendo should:

• Launch with a standard/pro model

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • Release a Pro edition with more power a couple years later

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Stick with a single spec unit for the lifetime

Votes: 110 73.8%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Nintendo have their own niche for sure, but there is definitely an enthusiast part of their fanbase that would love to see a bit more oomph in their flagship titles.

So what do you think GAF - should Nintendo consider a standard/Pro model of their switch successor? Or continue with their singular vision which has brought them so much success?

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind seeing a ‘Pro’ a couple of years down the road. I’d likely purchase it if it’s actually a meaningful upgrade.

That’s just my preference though. If the next system sells as well a Switch and they can get away with selling new SKU’s with the same cheap internals that’s obviously better for them.

It's Nintendo.

They'll release one SKU (perf-wise), or probably a Switch 2-Lite (Handheld-only) a couple of years later after launch and keep updating yearly BoM for even more hardware profit (than the initial SKU's which give them a margin already), till the second last year of the console lifecycle to include a OLED panel with a $50 MSRP markup, and all of you will buy this no questions asked.

All 125 million (150+ ltd) of you, just like the Switch. They know this and DGAF about what a customer wants or feels.

Next perf update/upgrade for the Switch 2, will be the Switch 3, in 2031.

Zannegan

Given that developers already have to deal with two power profiles, docked and undocked, I think they'd better stick to a single spec per generation for their hybrids.

Now, if Nintendo wanted to release a Switch "Gen 3" stationary console/dock a few years after the Switch 2 that prefigured the projected specs of their third generation hybrid, that wouldn't be too bad for developers... or it could make things even more messy. IDK.

RickMasters

Just want them to be closer to current gen in terms of power. They don’t have to do 1:1 but maybe if their next console has at least 80% of SXS/PS6 power that would be nice.

The quality of their games is never in question as far I’m concerned they make some of the best in the world. But I do wish they would up their game on the raw performance side of things, just a bit more.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The best move ever for Nintendo now would be 2 skus, both backwards compatible with Switch games. A standard switch replacement with more power, and a 20+ TF traditional console running enhanced versions of the same games. It's a chance to continue to dominate the handheld space and break back into traditional consoles.

Zannegan

Just want them to be closer to current gen in terms of power. They don’t have to do 1:1 but maybe if their next console has at least 80% of SXS/PS6 power that would be nice.

The quality of their games is never in question as far I’m concerned they make some of the best in the world. But I do wish they would up their game on the raw performance side of things, just a bit more.
If they go hybrid again, there's no way they'll be able to get anywhere current gen in raw power. Look how huge the PS5 and Series X had to be to hold and cool the hardware needed to run games at that level. Look at the power draw they pull from their constant tether to the wall and compare that to what a hybrid would be able to count on from a battery.

Valve are neither cheapskates nor incompetent, but the Steam Deck doesn't even match a base XBox One in terms raw power (EDIT: I should say in terms of performance, as its rated at 1.6 TF whereas the XB1 is 1.31). By how much can we realistically expect Nintendo's design to surpass Valve's even with two more years of hardware advances? If the Switch 2 manages to meaningfully outperform the Steam Deck, you're still looking at something in the realm of a PS4. On the other hand, you'll also get more modern features that may help alleviate the gap and might make ports possible, with some compromises.

Honestly, the best you can hope for is "close enough" with features like DLSS to help it punch above its weight. And, all things considered, for a hybrid that's pretty good. If nothing else, Nintendo's first party games should see a substantial boost... except Pokemon. For reasons no one understands, GameFreak will continue to churn out unbelievably ugly, poor performing games for the entirety of the generation.

Last edited:

JordiENP

Single specs. Even the screen should be just one variant, mini led or OLED. I think two different models from the start is a mistake because you don't want to divide the marketing budget and also make people question which model they want on launch day.

Also you don't want to make people think their new cheaper product is lesser than the better variant. They just need a Next gen switch and Mario Kart 9.

Zannegan

The best move ever for Nintendo now would be 2 skus, both backwards compatible with Switch games. A standard switch replacement with more power, and a 20+ TF traditional console running enhanced versions of the same games. It's a chance to continue to dominate the handheld space and break back into traditional consoles.
But why would they want that? They're already dominating traditional consoles with their vastly outgunned hybrids. They clearly don't need to compete in terms of specs to compete in sales, and they only really need to get within sniping distance to get a good amount of cut back ports.

Killer8

Single spec.

One SKU for developers to aim for and master. It would hopefully alleviate the Pro model getting all the love and the shittier model getting scraps (which we see in numerous poorly done Xbox Series S games). The next generation will also be more meaningful because there is less of a power graduation (PS4 -> PS5 would've been more impressive if PS4 Pro didn't release in the middle). There is also the positive that no one feels like a second class citizen by not being able to afford the Pro model, which is important for a device popular with children.

I suspect that the launch version might be the "Pro" model. Perhaps something similar to the Switch, in which the 16 nm version has slightly better performance.

IOW instead of getting the Samsung 8 nm version, it would be on Samsung 5 nm and has a modest performance gain.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But why would they want that? They're already dominating traditional consoles with their vastly outgunned hybrids. They clearly don't need to compete in terms of specs to compete in sales, and they only really need to get within sniping distance to get a good amount of cut back ports.

The reason being they are missing out on a segment of the market completely. And they do need specs to compete in the traditional console space. I guess ot depends on greed.

I don't envision cut back ports with Nintendo.
I think they are skilled enough as a software company to deliver a great mobile port with the more powerfull version at the same time, as long as they are on similar architechture which is extremely likely if they went this route.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would really be surprised if Nintendo releases anything other than another hybrid system and I would be surprised if it tops out at anything over 1 tflop, if it even reaches that. It's possible they could try to take on the "high performance market" consoles but I would really be surprised if they try. They're probably going to want to stay at $350 or below to be a good value option like the Switch has been.

Sorcerer

Stick with one model. Don't do the Series S thing, as that proven disastrous in the long run.

Oddly didn't Nintendo do something like this on much smaller scale with the DS? There were certain games that could only be played on the higher end revision. I think one was a Xenoblade game. I thought that was a shitty practice even back then. At least Microsoft requires all games to run on both systems (still a bad idea) but Nintendo is like well that's too bad, buy the revision if you want to play.

Hudo

Pro versions of consoles were the worst idea ever. Stick to one single spec. You can refine it with a slim (or in a handheld's case: XL or lite) variant. Keep the specs the same, for god's sake. One of the main advantages of consoles should exactly be that you only have to target one set of specifications. Otherwise you end up with the clusterfuck that we had with the PS4/PS4 Pro were suddenly you had to think about 4k@30 quality mode, 1080p@60 perfomance mode, etc. What a load of bullshit. Consoles should go back to "plug the fucking game in and hit play"-type of ease-of-use.

Rockondevil

I wanted it with the switch and I want it with the next.
Have your handheld version and make a dedicated home console for those that don’t care about having it portable.
I’m never undocking it and I’d rather the possibility of stronger hardware.
Hell, even if it’s not stronger it could be cheaper.

Quasicat

They'll release one SKU (perf-wise), or probably a Switch 2-Lite (Handheld-only) a couple of years later after launch and keep updating yearly BoM for even more hardware profit (than the initial SKU's which give them a margin already), till the second last year of the console lifecycle to include a OLED panel with a $50 MSRP markup, and all of you will buy this no questions asked.
I don’t think you’re wrong. My problem is that I’ve gotten bit by the Oled bug and now struggle to go back. I am not sure that I will buy another Nintendo handheld that is not an Oled. If I do, I seriously doubt I would get rid of my current Switch and would rarely play it out of the dock.

tylrdiablos

I just hope it's a dedicated unit that sits under my tv. I'm a bit sick of their "gimmicky" approach to things ala the Wii, Wii-U & Switch.
I can honestly say I've undocked my Switch, to play games on it, less than 5 times.
I like Nintendo's franchises and I'd like to see them running on considerably stronger hardware... without using my PC as an emulator.

They can probably release a cheaper one with smaller screen/LCD/less storage and a more expensive one with OLED, 7" screen, more storage

Kamina

Golden Boy
Nintendo showed that they don’t need pro stuff.
However, i think they should increase the docked mode benefits.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Most of Nintendo hardware refresh are not just powerful, but also straight up necessary to get basic features. Can you imagine Gameboy without Gameboy color? Would be pure shit.

mystech

Single spec makes more since for a Nintendo system. However, what they could do as an alternative to offer different price points is split the product into 3 versions:

1. Switch 2 Hybrid ($349): Direct successor to Switch. Play in portable mode or dock it to play in 4K (via DLSS) in console mode.

2. Switch 2 Lite ($249): Strictly portable. Maybe some capability to wirelessly connect to a dock to use as a 2nd controller but no full scale docking abilities.

3. Switch 2 Console ($199): Strictly console. Apple TV like compact box that takes Switch 2 game cards. No capabilities to directly dock to Switch 2 but can still wirelessly connect to use Switch 2 Hybrid or Switch 2 Lite as controllers for multiplayer.

We know there’s a certain demographic of Switch owners who strictly play in portable mode and others who strictly play on their TV. Splitting the product up like this might appeal to people who don’t need the hybrid type system.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
“Standard” = handheld
“Pro” = docked

That’s literally the model they have already, I see no reason why they wouldn’t continue it other than radical change seeming to be Nintendo’s default.

PS4-level power with DLSS would be incredible.

yurinka

I think Switch 2 will be their Switch Pro: basically the same but slightly more powerful.

But this case with exclusive games. Basically a BC console as most other consoles and portables that weren't the first one of that company did. I'd make it in terms of horsepower like a Steamdeck/Series S.

I think they should stop releasing more Switch SKUs and to move to Switch 2, which should have a single OLED hybrid SKU. Forget Lite version, forget OLED version, forget Pro version: release the good one day one instead.

Last edited:

SNG32

I don’t see why they would do a pro version where they haven’t been shown that they need to. This is Nintendo we are talking about. They just got online decent on switch and it’s still not up to par with I’ll even say PS3 and Xbox 360 level of online forget about PS4 and Xbox one.

Just hope the portable is as good as the steam deck and has dlss and call it day. They are the bear minimum in gaming technology. In terms of power.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't think nintendo needs to go with the Pro approach. They just need a new generation and then should stick with it.

Mozza

Glad to see sanity has prevailed with the voting on here, Nintendo will obviously do this, launch with a docked model, then possibly a lite version with no dock, then a console revision like the current OLED model, with a slightly bigger and better screen.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Not necessarily a Pro version but I would like to see an OLED model with more onboard storage released alongside the rumoured LCD model.

lordrand11

Personally, I think if Nintendo were going to do anything have the dock add either additional graphical fidelity/horsepower to the new system or just put it all under the hood. There's no reason they can't create an enthusiast versus a casual docking station.

To make matters even better for them, having an additional patch that can be downloaded for the games specifically for the dock (while being extra work) would also offer a bit more pizazz to their new system.

bigdad2007

I wish they would but Nintendo has conditioned its fans to rebuy their consoles like 3 times over a generation. Why would they release 2 sku’s when in 2 years they can release a lite/pro version and have people double dip.

tr1p1ex

they never did a pro model before and I don't see that changing. They will definitely come out with a revised/refined model tho. they've done that with every handheld iirc.

They will probably do another low cost model like the lite too.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
New system is not out yet and you guys already want "pro" version?
HeavenlyIdenticalBilby-max-1mb.gif

REDRZA MWS

Nah, give me the “pro” model at launch aka the more powerful home console. Cmon Nintendo, it’s time to take care of your home console canvass who doesn’t give a single shit about portable gaming. We still love your games, so give us the option of a more powerful home console.

Top Bottom