• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Resident Evil 5 get a remake next?

SkylineRKR

I played 5 again today. The mercs is really timeless. The shooting and impact feels spot on and the finishers are cool. I did Public Assembly and Mines with randoms. 134 combo on Public Assembly lol, almost a perfect run. I hadn't played this game in ages. Leaderboards with 100 million scores yeah sure.

nkarafo

Give me that RE0 Remake

Oh Come On GIF

I want a 3D Spencer mansion, thanks.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
If by remake, you mean completely throw it out and take the series in a different direction, I'm onboard.

That co-op action bullshit can stay in hell. Keep future REs single player, and veer towards horror.
A game can perfectly fine be horror and still be a good co-op experience, just like RE5 did with its DLC.

Beechos

How about capcom make a brand new resident evil in a brand new setting with new characters. The current characters and story has been streched so thin. Move on from these characters already.

Doom85

How about capcom make a brand new resident evil in a brand new setting with new characters. The current characters and story has been streched so thin. Move on from these characters already.

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The RE cast is great, and since Capcom was stupid in making the game timeline the same as ours in terms of the years progressing, remakes are becoming the only viable way to have most of the cast still around.

Also, you’ve had two such titles in the past six years: 7 and 8.

kiphalfton

Considering each remake hasn't been any better than the original version, no.

The irony is everybody complained about RE4 turning the series into an "action" series, but the new games are no different other than the devs made enemies bullet sponges and made ammo extremely scarce. Really that's the only thing that differentiates RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake from RE4... except RE4 is actually fun, and has better gunplay despite being ~15 years older than the other two games.

Last edited:

chriskun

RE6 I see zero reason to remake. The game was way too big. The characters and story were awful. The settings were boring. RE6 if remade needs to be an entirely different thing imo. So there is little point to me.

And for 5 goes the same, but its more fun than 6. Its setting is awful for a Resident Evil game. RE5 without co-op is no RE5 anymore, and co-op while fun is also not what I want to see in a mainline RE. So I don't really need a remake of 5. What they can do, is release Mercs stand alone. Mercs in Village is just not half as fun as it was in 5.

RE Zero was borderline, it was still a single player game but even there I enjoyed the solo parts and boss fights more.

How did the latin community react on RE4? Because that game was greenlit and I don't remember any backlash.
Werent they Spanish? I guess thats technically latin but not really.

Arachnid

A game can perfectly fine be horror and still be a good co-op experience, just like RE5 did with its DLC.
That DLC was fun, but far from perfectly fine horror.

Now that you mention it, I don't think that I've ever played a game that was good at both horror and coop.

.Pennywise

Banned
That DLC was fun, but far from perfectly fine horror.

Now that you mention it, I don't think that I've ever played a game that was good at both horror and coop.
Yeah but then again, Resident Evil was never a full on horror game, but more action horror. Even in games like 7 or 8 where they went that route they end up being more action half way through

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No reason to. What we could use is a remade Dino Crisis or Onimusha.

And no, I don’t want to hear that we’re not getting more Onimusha because people didn’t rush out to buy a dated remaster.

L. Kosugi

Neo Member
A code veronica remake means no claire ass, no di caprio-like steve, no matrix-like wesker, and you-know-why, completely changing certain characters of the game. So basically a more serious and less camp game.

Beechos

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The RE cast is great, and since Capcom was stupid in making the game timeline the same as ours in terms of the years progressing, remakes are becoming the only viable way to have most of the cast still around.

Also, you’ve had two such titles in the past six years: 7 and 8.
Thats the problem they couldve started 7 and 8 as brand new games with no previous tie ins. They love to retcon everything and come up with some off the walls bananas shit to tie previous characters and events. Next thing you know wesker is still alive, it is revealed ethan is his long lost son and jill has been pulling all the strings in the background.

Doom85

Thats the problem they couldve started 7 and 8 as brand new games with no previous tie ins. They love to retcon everything and come up with some off the walls bananas shit to tie previous characters and events. Next thing you know wesker is still alive, it is revealed ethan is his long lost son and jill has been pulling all the strings in the background.

Ah yes, just alienate a good portion of your established fanbase by throwing away the entire established cast.

Also, Wesker already had a “son”: Jake. And
Alex Wesker
is the one who is alive, which is also not a retcon but was set up via files found in RE 5. They actually do set up a few things, you just have to pay attention. Granted, you’re using the word “retcon” too loosely to begin with. For example, Spencer being inspired by Miranda is not a retcon, it’s just new info being provided without contradicting existing info. If a prior game had Spencer stating his vision for Umbrella was entirely his own without anyone ever inspiring him to do so (and as long as there was no reasonable possibility that he was lying), then 8’s reveal would be a retcon, but I’m pretty sure Spencer never said anything specific like that. Claiming it‘s a retcon is like saying Vader being Luke’s father is a retcon. Yes, nothing in 4 hinted at it, but it didn’t contradict anything barring 6 now having to justify why Obi-Wan lied to Luke.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
f1TervQ.png

Ah yes, I'm glad they had that chapter that made me really feel like I was in Africa...

Yo remember when Chris punches a bolder in an active volcano?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yes, 100%.

I see zero reason not to.

Any bullshit about it "playing well" could be applied to any fucking game mind you... time marches forward and from 2005 to 2020 massive leaps have happened technically in gaming for anyone to pretend a remake wouldn't do anything.

Don't buy a PS5 or Series X if that shit from 2005 hardware "playz greatz" lol

I don't even get the idea of remaking RE2, RE3 and RE4 and be like "oh yea lets not remake the best selling game, yup that makes fucking sense". This is the level of delusion gamers have...

I'd rather see CV get remade next, but I see RE5, RE6 and CV all getting remade this gen anyway.

14 years is too soon, usually we get remadez 30, 40 years tops /s

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah. Maybe they can make it fun this time.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't think it's a good RE game, but I had a lot of fun with my wife playing co-op on the couch. If the game gets a remake and, more importantly, they keep the split screen co-op mode, I'll buy it.

SkylineRKR

Its infinitely replayable. This game is 14 years old, and right now I play it again. I usually play this a few days every year. I do some mercs, some co-op DLC chapters.. I barely touch the main story. Desperate Escape, with a good player, is really fun. I beat it on Pro earlier already, and today on Vet. Decent score, around 100k. There are still players hosting sessions, now and then.

I also did Public Assembly, 150 combo and almost 700k points. But this leaderboard is hacked.

The game is also impressive looking. The drab Africa setting doesn't always come through but look at Lost in Nightmares, it still looks great.

Roufianos

Nope. Game is basically RE4 minus the atmosphere and tension.

So, so much worse than anything that came before it.

They should use what they learn from remaking 4 to right and wrong and make a proper follow up to it next. Forget this turd ever existed.

drezz

I'd play it.

Enjoyed playing the orginal in coop with my family.

However! I'd hope for VR there as well, also...
I'd rather get a Dino Crisis remake?!!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nope. Game is basically RE4 minus the atmosphere and tension.

So, so much worse than anything that came before it.

They should use what they learn from remaking 4 to right and wrong and make a proper follow up to it next. Forget this turd ever existed.
Season 1 Reaction GIF by Rick and Morty

Top Bottom