• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake aims to be faithful, will adjust scare factors for “contemporary audiences”?

ZoukGalaxy

All of woke folks and me are the worse.
Fixed.
jurassic park deal with it GIF

Some of yall are the worse.
Animated GIF

Last edited:
It means bludgeoning the player over the head with the game's themes because zoomers are too retarded now to understand subtext.

The SEXY NURSES are because he wanted to FUCK other women while his DEAD WIFE was in hospital and now he feels GUILTY.

DO YOU GET IT?
People will claim it's an overreaction to judge the trailer negatively because of James' dumb face. But it tells you so much about Bloobers lack of nuance. Look at how guilty and SAD he looks for what he's done - do. you. get. it??

Last edited:
Bye bye Pyramid Head rape scene?
We'll that's good, since Pyramid Head never raped anyone. The mannequins symbolized sexual urges. Pyramid Head was created because of James' need to punish himself for his wrongs, which he blatantly says so in the game. The mannequins we're grinding against each other in a sexual manner. All Pyramid Head was doing was pulling them off of each other and killing them.

Unfortunately, people let their horny teenage brains take over and create some rapist character for Pyramid Head.

'viewer discretion is advised'...

this's my new favorite. what does it mean? 'watch something else'? 'brace yourself throughout the entirety of the experience owing to the possibilty of being seriously harmed at any moment'? help me here...
Too be fair, the original SH games did have disclaimers before they started.

sainraja

Gamers nowadays just like to complain about things. First they hype up games like crazy and go in 'defense' mode but as soon as that same game comes out, they will put up their pitch forks and just complain, complain, complain.

In this case, they will repeatedly ask for something and once their are signs they are getting it, they will start complaining about any new thing that might be happening and in another reality they will also complain about remakes/remasters, etc etc. As if their is a rule book on which fanbase is eligible to get one and which fanbase isn't.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoJ

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
First they hype up games like crazy and go in 'defense' mode
Blame corporations that spend $50 million+ in marketing campaigns alone and buy the voice of "journalists", youtubers and streamers.

but as soon as that same game comes out, they will put up their pitch forks and just complain, complain, complain.
Because the thin veil of lies raised by marketing is gone. Now consumers realize that their $60~70 went down the drain.
Notice how corporations show even less gameplay footage nowadays? How are consumers expected to know how a game plays out?

In this case, they will repeatedly ask for something and once their are signs they are getting it, they will start complaining about any new thing that might be happening and in another reality they will also complain about remakes/remasters, etc etc. As if their is a rule book on which fanbase is eligible to get one and which fanbase isn't.
Honestly, most people don't even care about remakes.
Only people seeking validation for their past gaming experiences are asking for that, but they vocalize it as "remake" when instead they mean to say: "give this old game a chance, it was very good when I played it", but are afraid that people will dismiss or downplay their cherised experience because of outdated 3D graphics, being in an old platform that makes it difficult to play it, having janky controls, etc.

Ideally, remakes should rarely be a thing.
And if they are to be made, they should keep the most important elements of the original game intact (e.g. camera perspective, direction, story, difficulty, gameplay) and only improve performance, texture/screen resolution, audio quality, animations, fix some bugs, etc.

Crayon

I'm getting the idea that its more about having to compensate for the game playing up to modern aaa expectations. Not being able to see, shoot, or move very well was a big part of the old scare factor.

Nautilus

Banned
This is one game that I'll have to read watch multiple INDEPENDENT reviewers to see if they fucked up the game or not.

And that will be a BIG mistake because the sexual nature of the character is not only part of what makes the game feel how it feels, it's also a key part of the whole story
Sadly, I’m not sure if they even care about that. Can’t have your women looking too feminine in your video games. It might offend people and make them feel inferior or insecure.

Gamers nowadays just like to complain about things. First they hype up games like crazy and go in 'defense' mode but as soon as that same game comes out, they will put up their pitch forks and just complain, complain, complain.

Ugh.
I actually agree that gamers do love to complain and can be very nit picky, but there are times when they do have a right to complain especially when paying their hard earned money for a product and this particular product has a legacy behind it. I’m not going to jump to conclusions quite yet, but for “modern audiences” to my knowledge has rarely, if ever lead to good or improved results for the final product.

Besides gameplay tweaks, fixing glitches, framerate fixes or whatnot imo remakes should generally try to keep the game as faithful as possible and try to improve upon things, but not modify them to appeal to “current trends or times” imo. Again, we’ll see what they’ll do with the remake.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Nurses will have dongs.

Maria will have a dong.

Eddie will win his battle and you'll play as him for the finale, as a protagonist who has fat pride.

There was a hole here will be replaced because it elicits non consensual undertones.

The piston holes in Angela's Father's room will now remain stationary as the wall itself moves around them, to symbolize taking back sexual autonomy from a patriarchal society.

James is a store clerk, AND a janny for his own subreddit, where he always asks weird questions like "About how much pressure does it take to make a person pass out," and "fixeruppers for cheap with large trunk space,"

The Rosewater park letter and spade sidequest will be replaced with a mini game where James sets up and manages a gofundme for legal costs to sue Brookhaven Hospital for having mold in it's hallways. #Crookhaven

Edit: Bloober studio recently made comments regarding the Silent Hill 2 property they've been trusted with. "I don't think you have to worry about us 'not getting it," said one employee who probably doesn't get it.

Actually, they probably won't change much. Literally every white male character named in the original turned out to be a villain, a psychopath or a general jackass, and nearly every female character is painted as passively insane, or otherwise without negative traits.

Last edited:

sainraja

Blame corporations that spend $50 million+ in marketing campaigns alone and buy the voice of "journalists", youtubers and streamers.
Well, even if it was an independent individual, they would also have to put money into marketing their product. You have to get the word out there. I am only speaking of those, who are being nit-picky; if the game truly did not live up to expectations, that is usually pretty obvious.

Because the thin veil of lies raised by marketing is gone. Now consumers realize that their $60~70 went down the drain.
Notice how corporations show even less gameplay footage nowadays? How are consumers expected to know how a game plays out?
I don't care what reviewers say personally but many here are obsessed with 'scores' so there is certainly that option — in some cases, people might just have to be a little patient.

Honestly, most people don't even care about remakes.
I don't know....we do keep getting them. Someone, somewhere is showing that they care. Things that don't gain traction never materialize.

Only people seeking validation for their past gaming experiences are asking for that, but they vocalize it as "remake" when instead they mean to say: "give this old game a chance, it was very good when I played it", but are afraid that people will dismiss or downplay their cherised experience because of outdated 3D graphics, being in an old platform that makes it difficult to play it, having janky controls, etc.
I am not sure I follow....but people like to experience things again and there is nothing wrong with that but I don't see why remakes can't adopt modern gameplay elements. I see nothing wrong there.

Ideally, remakes should rarely be a thing.
And if they are to be made, they should keep the most important elements of the original game intact (e.g. camera perspective, direction, story, difficulty, gameplay) and only improve performance, texture/screen resolution, audio quality, animations, fix some bugs, etc.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a remake that tries to change a few things around as long as it doesn't change too much of what it was before, otherwise, just make a new one.

I actually agree that gamers do love to complain and can be very nit picky, but there are times when they do have a right to complain especially when paying their hard earned money for a product and this particular product has a legacy behind it. I’m not going to jump to conclusions quite yet, but for “modern audiences” to my knowledge has rarely, if ever lead to good or improved results for the final product.

Besides gameplay tweaks, fixing glitches, framerate fixes or whatnot imo remakes should generally try to keep the game as faithful as possible and try to improve upon things, but not modify them to appeal to “current trends or times” imo. Again, we’ll see what they’ll do with the remake.
I agree that they shouldn't change the core DNA of the remake but gameplay can be adjusted accordingly. The new Resident Evil remakes were not affected by the ability to be able to move and shoot, even though many were not sure or were pushing back on it.

Last edited:
The ghost gonna be looking like 👻.
There will be an option to replace all music with gummy bear song.
Accessibility options gonna be like.
Play game/Do not play game.
Remove all darkness.

deeptech

it's tough to make horror today, you gotta make it scary but you must not insult/scare anyone or anything at same time,
will play this sure, but not expecting anything

PillsOff

Banned
Faithful.
With faith adjusted for modern audience to believe in jump scares n playing shitty polish remakes made under the guidance of masters of not treating you franchises respectfully aka Konami

peronmls

Reasons to be worried
1. Ito the artist is not creating any keyframe animations, lighting or texture work like he did originally. Just "overseeing" the project.
2. Akira the music producer/sound designer is not doing any of the sound design. He is NOT doing the monster SFXs nor the environmental SFX like he original did. Only music.
3. It going to be 75% Bloober and 25% Silent Hill.

Doczu

Honestly, even to this day I still think SH3 was considerably creepier and darker than SH2, but I’m probably in the minority.
I'd say 1 was scarier cause as a parent i can (somehow) relate to having lost your kid in a town full with cultists and monsters.
I am in the super minority with my take.

Doczu

Faithful.
With faith adjusted for modern audience to believe in jump scares n playing shitty polish remakes made under the guidance of masters of not treating you franchises respectfully aka Konami
I think you should change to PillsOn dude, cause i don't know what those Poles did to you to shit on them like that...

anthraticus

Banned
I think it's more a matter of the fact that just not as many people played 1. And they're too popamole to go back and play it after the fact......

GRAPH ICS , D A T E D......you know the drill

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So they have replaced pyramid head with jk rowling?

They only let you go in the male bathroom!! 😱

PillsOff

Banned
I think you should change to PillsOn dude, cause i don't know what those Poles did to you to shit on them like that...
Why are you pretending that what i said is bout Polish people? Like what the fuck? Why starting something outa nothing?
Eastern European d-level dev. studios is a thing
And Bloomer is a POLISH studio n famous for their d level schlocky mediocrity

Last edited:

Shakka43

You just know they are gonna squeeze in some gay love story into the game. I did enjoy The Medium though, and if they still keep SH2 at least close to the original I think is gonna be a good remake.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Well, i for one doubt Konami is so "with the times" that they would even mind the cries of woke twitter. They have no problem in selling sexy zombie nurse skins in their games to this day.

I'm more worried about the technical aspects. The trailer showed a very stiff animation, and I remember the original getting in trouble because of voice acting being lost in re-releases. Konami has had tons of problems in their games even before woke crowd existed.

cortadew

Well, you will only experience SH2 if you play the original SH2.This is not a "graphics and QOL"-remake like Ocarina of Time or Shadow of the Colossus. Even the latter, which were made by much more acclaimed developers, were called out by fans for atmospheric changes in the art direction. So this SH2 remake with entirely new game design and a retold plot will simply not give you the original experience. This is true even for great reimaginings like RE2 - it's completely different from the original.

And that's the problem. Let's pretend Bloober outdoes itself and creates an okay-ish new Silent Hill game. That would be fine. But the fact that it carries the SH2 name makes it blegh.
People will always complain, when re1 remake came out for the Gamecube some people were whining they changed the mansion style too much, now most acknowledge the remake is superior to the original.

Top Bottom