• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silo (Apple TV+) Season 1

dorkimoe

Silo_Apple_TV_Review.jpg

In a toxic dystopian future where a community exists in a giant silo hundreds of stories deep underground, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them.

Silo, previously titled Wool, is an American science fiction television series created by Graham Yost based on the Silo series of novels by author Hugh Howey. The series stars Rebecca Ferguson, who also executive produces the series, and it premiered on Apple TV+ on May 5, 2023.

First 2 episodes are out. I started the first and its really good.

Lasha

Oh shit Apple adapted wool? I always hoped for a tv show. If somebody can make the Hyperion cantos into an epic film series then my quota for weird shit to film will be filled.

dorkimoe

Somebody give me a bit of context for this show. I want to watch something with a bit of depth.
People live in a silo cuz the outside is not liveable…or is it? People start to push back and want to go out. If you say “I want to go out” they have to let you and then…

Fbh

Look interesting.
But it also looks like the type of show you get invested in, then it gets cancelled after 2 seasons and ends on a cliffhanger.

Does Apple have a good track record finishing their shows?

Rockondevil

I saw a poster and was like oh Rebecca Ferguson I’ll have a look at the trailer.
I watched the trailer and it felt so familiar.

Then it clicked that it’s an adoption of wool which I’m here for.

Watched the first two episodes and I’ve enjoyed it so far.
Hoping they stick with it because I really enjoyed the books.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm veeerry curious if they run with the book ending/sequel series. That's gonna be....polarizing to say the least.

Ferguson is the engineer chick?

Look interesting.
But it also looks like the type of show you get invested in, then it gets cancelled after 2 seasons and ends on a cliffhanger.

They‘re still a little new to the game so hard to say. So far they‘ve mostly cancelled shows that you know no one is really watching. I can’t picture them reaching Netflix “cancel everything“ status.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Huh, I have Apple TV+ and never heard of this. Will need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Look interesting.

Although it was slightly sloppy/rushed of a finish, they did manage to finish the show 'See' with Jason Momoa.

Rockondevil

Ferguson is the engineer chick?
Yep.

Huh, I have Apple TV+ and never heard of this. Will need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up OP.
Only the first two episodes released yesterday. Weekly after that.

Although it was slightly sloppy/rushed of a finish, they did manage to finish the show 'See' with Jason Momoa.
Was See worth the watch? I’ve been meaning to just haven’t had a chance yet.

Was See worth the watch? I’ve been meaning to just haven’t had a chance yet.
I'd argue yes. It feels like a high budget HBO scifi/action show, like Raised by Wolves for example, that somehow ended up on Apple TV. The art and lore of the world is very interesting and it has pretty amazing fight coreography. There's a bit of suspension of disbelief because some of the character feats seem a little superhuman, but within the rules of that specific world they do their best to make it grounded in a cool way.

Apple has a good track record of giving shows and ending. Even if the show is canceled.

Apple seems to win so many battles for content as they are willing to spend the money on the bidding war for the content.

Breaking bad/Better Call Saul creators next series is coming to Apple TV, I thought I read Keanu Reeves TV Series is coming to Apple TV, Martin Scorsese next movie is Apple TV, etc, etc.

Time will tell. I personally think the content is pretty good.

But They lack those breakout hits. They have not stumbled into a once in a generation Show yet. They desperately need a Sorpanos, Friends, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Big bang theory type of hit. Same way Netflix needed House of cards at the time, and HBO needed the Sorpanos, Sex and the city and the Wire.

Once they have one of those shows, it will shine a spotlight onto their other content and I think it will help the exposure of the Apple TV platform.

Something that crosses over into the mainstream. Ted Lasso gets all the praise, and it is good. But it isn’t that generational hit.

Saying all this though. It is easier said than done.

TVexperto

Apple has a good track record of giving shows and ending. Even if the show is canceled.

Apple seems to win so many battles for content as they are willing to spend the money on the bidding war for the content.

Breaking bad/Better Call Saul creators next series is coming to Apple TV, I thought I read Keanu Reeves TV Series is coming to Apple TV, Martin Scorsese next movie is Apple TV, etc, etc.

Time will tell. I personally think the content is pretty good.

But They lack those breakout hits. They have not stumbled into a once in a generation Show yet. They desperately need a Sorpanos, Friends, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Big bang theory type of hit. Same way Netflix needed House of cards at the time, and HBO needed the Sorpanos, Sex and the city and the Wire.

Once they have one of those shows, it will shine a spotlight onto their other content and I think it will help the exposure of the Apple TV platform.

Something that crosses over into the mainstream. Ted Lasso gets all the praise, and it is good. But it isn’t that generational hit.

Saying all this though. It is easier said than done.
I think Severance is def a hit, it was even spoofed on Colbert etc.

Spyxos

Gold Member
The first 2 episodes were good, but after that it went downhill. Somehow almost nothing exciting happens and most episodes seem like fillers.

VN1X

Banned
The first 2 episodes were good, but after that it went downhill. Somehow almost nothing exciting happens and most episodes seem like fillers.
Yup watched 6 episodes and fell off. Nothing happens after the first (or two) episode(s). It's dreadfully dull.

Started watching The Leftovers again.

Spyxos

Gold Member
This couldve been 4 episodes. wtf was that pacing? Not a bad show, but they need to learn to tell stories efficiently.
On top of that, you've seen this kind of story many times before. Probably the books are a bit older and at that time it was more exciting, but in the meantime even with the big twists in this series I think to myself ah hmmja I have seen something similar somewhere else.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That sucks, they could have rocked through the books and IIRC each one has an internal arc and ends with a bit of a cliffhanger or reveal. This should not have been a dragged out prestige show

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m liking it so far but agree it has been stretched out a bit. The acting has been great too.

If Foundation got a second season this easily will

Lasha

The pacing of Silo is rubbish. One could probably read Wool in its entirety in the time the show took to barely enter part 2. The added romance and focus on minor characters is killing any momentum. It feels like the plot is being dragged out intentionally to end on a certain point in the book for dramatic effect.

My bet for the season ending is:

Bernard calling into Silo 1 and saying "We have a problem" *blackout*

Rockondevil

I enjoyed the season. It ended how I expected it to.

It was a little slow but as long as they stick to it and finish the series I don’t mind.
If it gets cancelled I’ll be annoyed they didn’t pick up the pace a little.

I personally think it’s a good enough adaption of the books.

Mossybrew

Hope this gets renewed, overall I enjoyed it and am curious where it goes from here.

Well at least if it gets cancelled I can read the books.

Trilobit

This show was weird. It went in circles and circles until the very last seconds of the last episode. I could also never really shake how "Californian" most of the actors felt. They are what I imagine hip people in San Fran/LA being like. And I've never even been to the States.

The twist is the first thing you learn in the book. Strange choice that they went this route instead. But as I never finished WOOL I hope it gets a second season so we can see what secrets the other silos hold. I just hope the storylines and characters become much more engaging as this was quite a slog to get through. Liked the Dune actress/main character though.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
The last episode was significantly better, but I can't stomach another season of this. I'll just watch a summary of the books on Youtube.

Last edited:

acidagfc

This could have been an email.

No, seriously, 10 episodes of barely anything going on. And no, there is not enough armosphere or good acting to carry the non-existent plot.

Westworld S1 was much better at mystery scifi. It promptly went to crap afterwards, but at least it had a promise. This is just nothing.

Lasha

This could have been an email.

No, seriously, 10 episodes of barely anything going on. And no, there is not enough armosphere or good acting to carry the non-existent plot.

Westworld S1 was much better at mystery scifi. It promptly went to crap afterwards, but at least it had a promise. This is just nothing.

The season stretched roughly 1/3 of the book into ten hours of screentime while omitting some bits and adding others. The audio book is only 16 hours long by comparison. Billings barely shows up in the book. Sims is just a thug. Much of the world building was replaced by those weird side characters. I think that's what made it feel dragged out.

I feel like the odd one here, I really enjoyed this series. And I think the ending to season one was really good too.

Edit: huh, just saw on Twitter that Stephen King seems to enjoy the show.

I liked it too. I just didn't like the pacing. The show did a good job of translating the big reveal of the book into a visual format. I was surprised how well it was pulled off.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I feel like the odd one here, I really enjoyed this series. And I think the ending to season one was really good too.

Edit: huh, just saw on Twitter that Stephen King seems to enjoy the show.
me too, and frankly quite surprised by a lot of the takes on here. show was a whole lot better than i expected

Spyxos

Gold Member
me too, and frankly quite surprised by a lot of the takes on here. show was a whole lot better than i expected

Only the beginning and the end are interesting, the middle they have unfortunately completely forgotten to fill with interesting things.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Finished the season last night. I liked it. Ending was good too. There was one thing that bugged me though:

that the other silos at the end were way closer than they should be and they didn’t elaborate on the rebellion enough

Lasha

Finished the season last night. I liked it. Ending was good too. There was one thing that bugged me though:

that the other silos at the end were way closer than they should be and they didn’t elaborate on the rebellion enough

There is a plot reason for the distance that you will learn about later. I honestly thought they were further apart than I imagined when reading the book.

Top Bottom