• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull and Bones: Worldwide Gameplay Reveal | Skull and Bones: Releases in November 8, 2022

Kataploom

Gold Member
WTF is "An Ubisoft Original"? That looks so cringy LMAO, who the hell is that idea from?

I like the concept of this but in typical Ubisoft fashion this is 1000 times more videogame-y that it should be.
Well, it is, you know... You know what I mean, right? It is a video game

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hoping this is fantastic. Black Flag was.

Sea of Thieves is lovely but the ship warfare in Black Flag was better, as is the combat in general.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Over It Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait what?

I cant even move freely on the ship?
So as a player im the ship and only commanding the people instead of be a player that really needs to work and move from side to side on the ship.

Oh boy lol

How the fuck was this game in development for 6+ years?

Some elements seem straight out of a mobile game. That tree cutting "minigame", outrageous.

Should've called this game Bare & Bones

Fredrik

Yeah, they should have done a full on pirate single player game! That I would approve.

Also, it took them way too long to release this... AC Black Flag was released almost 10 years ago. Why it took them so damn long to release an MP game based on it's naval mechanics?
Yeah it does looks kinda old. I still like what I see but the mp focus makes me turn away. Can it be played completely offline? Then I’ll try it. Otherwise... Nope.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wiki says it was first shown at E3 2017 for PS4/X1 with a release date of late 2018. Wow.

I thought the game was shown more recent than 2017. Guess not.

This does not look good. It doesn't look bad, but it definitely doesn't look good.

All they needed to do was to expand on what AC4 and Rogue did, instead it just looks like a garbled together half assed pirate ship sim. I would love to know what the hell happened during this games development.

sendit

This game needs to go back in the kitchen or thrown in the trash. Not sure what happened to the budget in regards to resource gathering given that it seems to be a huge aspect of the gameplay.

clarky

Gold Member
Meh, after Sea of Thieves not floating my boat I would like a realistic pirate sim, like how Sid Meirs Pirates ('87) exists in my head from back in the day. This is definitely not that.

Pass.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
As a fan of grind and loot games, I dug what I saw. The graphics clearly indicate that this is a game that has been in development for a long time (those don't even feel like AC:O level of graphics). Not terrible, but it is definitely dated.

Having said that, everything else looks exactly what I was interested in: a pirate experience that can be played single player or in co-op. To the folks who are saying "This looks nothing like Black Flag" or "Just expand Black Flag pirate experience!" - how did you not get that from what they showed or the extended gameplay section? The ship to ship and ship to land combat was exactly Black Flag so I'm just really curious what people were expecting with this.

I LOVED Elden Ring but so sick of hearing that! This only apply to people who only like one type of game.

It really is getting tedious. Like - other than just inserting ER into every damn conversation about gaming - what does it have anything to do with a naval combat game. It is so wild.

I hate frivolous bs added to games to make it seem like an RPG.

And I'm not a fan of each player controlling a ship. I much prefer Sea of Thieves' system.

If they just made their version of SOT's, the conversation would most assuredly be "Why does this exist?! Just play SOT! Kekw."

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It really is getting tedious. Like - other than just inserting ER into every damn conversation about gaming - what does it have anything to do with a naval combat game. It is so wild.
Only thing they achieve is making people actively hate Elden Ring and just makes entire conversations boring and tedious.

yurinka

They really want to drop the same week as God of War Ragnarok…
This is a multiplatform game of a totally different genre and setting. There's more than enough market for both. And well, games are being sold during years.

No campaign. God of War releasing next day. Fuck this game.
Yeah, they should have done a full on pirate single player game! That I would approve.

Also, it took them way too long to release this... AC Black Flag was released almost 10 years ago. Why it took them so damn long to release an MP game based on it's naval mechanics?
I suggest you to watch the video, they said the whole Skull & Bones game can be played in single player.

And other than the pirates theme and naval fights it's a pretty different game than ACIV, it has a ton of things ACIV didn't have.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

This is a multiplatform game of a totally different genre and setting. There's more than enough market for both. And well, games are being sold during years.

I suggest you to watch the video, they said the whole Skull & Bones game can be played in single player.

And other than the pirates theme and naval fights it's a pretty different game than ACIV, it has a ton of things ACIV didn't have.
They specifically stated that there is no campaign.

Fbh

Ubisoft: Releases Black Flag.
Everyone: Hey this is pretty cool, can we get more ?
-9 fucking years later-
Ubisoft: Heyyyyyyyy so about that Pirate game you wanted, here it is: It's like Black Flag but worse in every way !

Looks OK I guess..... But I'm starting to realise how much I hate ubisoft art direction. All their games have really similar looks. You can tell its an ubisoft game right away. I really dislike their character models.

Edit: just read you can't move the character... You only control the ship. Its a no from me.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Looks alright, gameplay wise I guess. Graphically it's looking pretty dated. Seems like even Watch Dogs 1 had better water. That trailer is very poor quality though and has plenty of dropped frames. How they don't have a nice 4k/60fps video out by now is beyond me.

Top Bottom