• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull and Bones: Worldwide Gameplay Reveal | Skull and Bones: Releases in November 8, 2022

Nydius

Gold Member
This looks like a game that would have done amazing if it had come out a year or so after its initial announcement. It's taken so long to actually get here it now feels like a collection of dated concepts that myriad other games have done better.

And my God that UI. How many things do they want to cram onto the screen at once? I don't think they fully grasp that one of the things that makes Sea of Thieves so successful is the (general) lack of a UI. While Rare could have put every little thing on the UI, they chose not to and said: You're a pirate, here's your tools, have at it. No health bars for your ships or your crew on your screen, no indicators of what types of ammunition you have in your canons, no waypoints or minimap bullshit. You, your crew, and the open seas. This, on the other hand, just looks like every other Ubisoft Open World™ game ever made constantly bludgeoning you with information on every corner of the screen.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Day 1. I'm just a sucker for pirate games and this is what I have wanted Ubisoft to make for years. Likely won't be very good, but I'm still getting it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Skull and Bones, Ubisoft Singapore's pirate game that we last saw at E3 2018 has finally sailed back into view and it's out this November. But what exactly is it? From open-seas activities to becoming a kingpin, game director Ryan Barnard shares with us the 7 things you need to know about Skull and Bones.

Larxia

And of course they deleted the Steam page, where it was for like 5 years.
Ubisoft... you're not helping yourself :messenger_astonished:

Anyway, it's really not exciting at all to me...
I think we all wanted a single player full pirate game that took inspiration from Black Flag but pushed it even further, and instead they give us something much more limited, multiplayer only, boat only.

Also lol at the "and socialize with other players", let me guess, there won't be any chat system and the only way to "socialize" will be through some dance emotes, how great.

Hari Seldon

Not a fan of sea of thieves at all so I’ll give this a shot. A busy UI does not bother me and I could give two shits about god of war.

Valedix

Gold Member
Another grindy ubisoft game filled with microtransactions

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

A.Romero

No disrespect for the team working on this but I'm really surprised. It's as if they didn't make any market research or even really considered just expanding over one of the best pirate games ever that was published by Ubisoft: Black Flag!

Seriously. I bet they could have released a reworked Black Flag and do a better job.

I LOVED Elden Ring but so sick of hearing that! This only apply to people who only like one type of game.
Edit: misread your response. It’s not for people who like one type of game but people who find the better approach more appealing. What skull and bones looks to be is just more ubisoftification which is more “one type of game”

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Give me a list of the games that don’t hold your hand in the past 10 years.
Again as much as I loved Elden Ring I dont want every game to play same way, I like variety in my games.

Unless you think Elden Ring can give me same satisfaction of playing SRPG, Monster Hunter, Survival Horror games, party based JRPG or point & click Adventure games, I play variety different games and each give me different satisfaction.

Last edited:
All they had to do was make a better AC Black Flag. Remove the shitty tailing/stalking missions, remove the shitty story, and expand on the pirate gameplay, ship/crew customization and expand the open world.

Arun1910

So close yet so far. Again.
Imagine just taking AC Black Flag and build on that, remove the AC story, focus on pirating, single-player, more loot, treasures on far away islands, etc.
Which is exactly what most of us thought this would be years and years ago.

Just naval combat is going to become so stale.

SJRB

Gold Member
I suppose this game is more akin to something like War Thunder than Black Flag? You can't walk around your ship, you basically are your ship.

Only difference seems that on fixed locations you can go on land to go to shops or quest givers? But there's no island exploration, no person-to-person combat, you don't board other ships or locations yourself.

What a weirdly designed game.

This looks like pure trash, love how they try to steal the trailer set up from rockstar where they explain everything, sadly the game isn't near as good as rockstar's games.

"Teeming with wildlife..." shows one hippo and an aligator all alone.

Sybrix

Looks ok i guess, tbh it looks like a $20 game, ill buy it for that.

It looks like it should have come out 4 years ago though.

Pretty obvious that Ubisoft just want this out and wont bother with this franchise after this.

I just have to wonder if this game will be the Fallout 76 or No Man's Sky of pirate games. Pretty much garbage until the developers pull their head out of their ass and make the game people want, instead of the game that gets released.

If they want people to keep playing this after release, they're going to have to add actual on foot exploration and sword fighting, right? Just throw the For Honor team at it, have them repurpose some animations and gameplay systems, and there you go.

WTF.... rocket launchers... ship hull plating... janky ship combat.. a small studio could do better then this.
Animated GIF

"old game" Black Flag looks leagues better then this

Last edited:

Inspector Q

I just have to wonder if this game will be the Fallout 76 or No Man's Sky of pirate games. Pretty much garbage until the developers pull their head out of their ass and make the game people want, instead of the game that gets released.

If they want people to keep playing this after release, they're going to have to add actual on foot exploration and sword fighting, right? Just throw the For Honor team at it, have them repurpose some animations and gameplay systems, and there you go.
I mean....it sounds like a match made in heaven, doesn't it? An open world pirate game where you board ships and siege forts all the while utilizing the For Honor combat system. Sounds absolutely nuts, lol.

The only problem is that the For Honor team seems to be all but gone at this point. Seems like there's 4 dudes left working on that game releasing random DLCs every now and then. What a shame. We get five million sequels to Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Division, etc....but we can't seem to get a single sequel to For Honor.

Not for me honestly. For all the technological advances in gaming I find myself more and more bored by a fair number of the actual games and this looks to be another one.

Seasons, services, updates as you go along (more often than not improving on things that should be there day one) , it’s all boring to me this type of stuff.

Na im not joking . You can only walk when you go to get some new quests. And yes: there is no melee combat and no on foot exploration of islands

They will add that by Season 3 if it survives that long. Unfinished games branded as seasons for a quick dollar.

Elginer

I have a feeling this is a game that a year from now will actually be good. It will have added campaign, and fixed tons of issues similar to Rainbow Six. I hate that's how fuycking Ubi does shit now as I loooove pirates but this just looks like a project that was aimless as balls for years and they're finally shitting out the work to try and make a dime.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No campaign? A bunch of odd gameplay concepts and launching a day before GoW. I don't foresee this game doing big numbers.

Shubh_C63

Looks bland AF

Shouldn't sailing be adventurous? Why everything looks so brown then. Guess they will leave eye popping colours for skins.

From mechanics, looks like a game possible on PS3 at its end. 0 interest. Fix your UI UBI.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I’m honestly curious about the gameplay loop itself, compared to Sid Meier’s Pirates games. If it’s anything like those old games, I’ll give it a go. Going to keep an eye.

I didn’t see anything resembling fencing between pirate captains like in the Sid Meier games though. I wonder how the boarding action works, exactly.

Top Bottom