• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Actually Played Amazon's Luna . . .

I learned something new this weekend. As many of you know, you get free games via Amazon Prime.
Well I learned you also get a handful of rotated Luna titles to play for the month, included with Prime.
Right now you can play Resident Evil 2 remake until June 1st for free with Prime.
I played it last night with my iPad and DualSense.

I had very minor hiccups, ran well for me. Thought I'd let people know cause I had no idea about the rotating Luna titles included with Prime.

Edit: Also RE2 remake is $10 right now on PSN until the 11th. So you can try on Luna before you buy on PSN.

Edit 2: The RE2 and RE3 remake bundle is $15 on PSN.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I learned something new this weekend. As many of you know, you get free games via Amazon Prime.
Well I learned you also get a handful of rotated Luna titles to play for the month, included with Prime.
Right now you can play Resident Evil 2 remake until June 1st for free with Prime.

I had very minor hiccups, ran well for me. Thought I'd let people know cause I had no idea about the rotating Luna titles included with Prime.
You can connect Luna to Ubisoft Connect on Pc and if you have games there you can play them for free on Luna. That's how I got 30+ games on it.

Edit: I am not sure if you have to have active Amazon Prime subscription.

L0IEn8O.png

Last edited:
Apple, Amazon, and Netflix are going to try to backdoor their way into gaming by giving access to free game streaming via their current subscriptions.

This is why Microsoft wants to buy Activision. First off, so none of these others buys them, but because they need to cement their place in loud before anyone else does.

Lone Wolf

I tried Luna and it worked flawlessly (I’m in NY). I have no intention of playing through the cloud, just felt like trying it out. Local will always be better.

Matt_Fox

I tried Luna and it worked flawlessly (I’m in NY). I have no intention of playing through the cloud, just felt like trying it out. Local will always be better.

I have a word for you my friend. Progress.

Friction free cloud gaming is assuredly the future of gaming. Like it or not. The days of clunky consoles, baking hot graphics cards, fans and coolers, wires everywhere... will one day all be replaced by an app on your screen and a game pad in your hand.

Alan Wake

Friction free cloud gaming is assuredly the future of gaming. Like it or not. The days of clunky consoles, baking hot graphics cards, fans and coolers, wires everywhere... will one day all be replaced by an app on your screen and a game pad in your hand.

I hope it'll never happen in my lifetime. I like consoles, physical games and even the wires. But I fear you're right.

I will not be that sure.

I actually have better experiences with streaming services then with Remote Play.

I just don’t feel like a streaming a game I guess.

I hope it'll never happen in my lifetime. I like consoles, physical games and even the wires. But I fear you're right.
I don't know about this cloud future for gaming. If history has shown us anything, the actual physical media should change. Maybe we'll have beefier local hardware with 1-2 TB games on a card or disc. Why is that never considered when it's literally what has happened over and over again throughout video game history.

Fahdis

I don't know about this cloud future for gaming. If history has shown us anything, the actual physical media should change. Maybe we'll have beefier local hardware with 1-2 TB games on a card or disc. Why is that never considered when it's literally what has happened over and over again throughout video game history.

ARM or RISC are the only ones capable. In the meantime Luna is a second tier service to the King, which is GeForce Now. OP you should try the Ultimate Tier for a month, you will be highly impressed especially if you have a Steam backlog.

ARM or RISC are the only ones capable. In the meantime Luna is a second tier service to the King, which is GeForce Now. OP you should try the Ultimate Tier for a month, you will be highly impressed especially if you have a Steam backlog.
I don't have much on my steam account. I know thats odd on here. haha. But I am interested some in this ROG Ally. Looking to see the details of that to see if I get more into PC gaming.

MarkMe2525

Edit: Also RE2 remake is $10 right now on PSN until the 11th. So you can try on Luna before you buy on PSN.
I have a stable and low latency connection, and I have had mostly great experiences with cloud gaming services as well. I have even been able to jump in multiplayer shooters with success. I would equate the input and display response on par with gaming on a cheap tv with ‘game mode’ not activated.

Of course, for many people cloud gaming doesn’t work as intended due to their high latency connections. There are people that criticize the idea of these services, but I have to imagine that they haven’t been able to experience cloud gaming like you or I have.

In saying that, I have had poor experiences as well. While this happens infrequently, I can't imagine me relying on cloud services exclusively because there is always that chance it will not work as intended.

Alan Wake

It's possible. I mean, the console has been declared dead for 10-15 years and it's still here. Physical games are declining pretty rapidly though so I guess games will go in the same direction as music and movies with (practically) digital distribution only. But Nintendo are still doing their thing and it's fun to see retro consoles like the Evercade, even it that is a niche product.

What was it running on? PC? Xbox button icons?
It works with anything with an internet browser I believe. I was using my iPad. Luna supports the Xbox one and DualShock 4. I used the DualSense which it says isn’t supported or might not work right. But it worked fine but it was showing the Xbox prompts.

If you use a ps4 controller it might show you the PlayStation buttons. I didn’t try it.

No it won’t 😂 every streaming service has failed for a reason

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Streaming games, much like VR is still pretty much in its infancy at the moment.

That won’t always be the case, though.

In fact, I fully predict that the two nascent technologies will combine at some point in the relatively near future, and VR will experience its Wii moment, when the casuals all jump on, because the headsets will be tiny, light and cheap.

Shh

Why do you have wires everywhere?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

GTAV sold 150,000,000 copies and whilst many I’m sure were multi purchase, how does cloud streaming serve 100,000,000 players!? I mean even 10% of that is 15,000,000 players. How do servers manage that kind of demand reliably?

Spyxos

Gold Member
GTAV sold 150,000,000 copies and whilst many I’m sure were multi purchase, how does cloud streaming serve 100,000,000 players!? I mean even 10% of that is 15,000,000 players. How do servers manage that kind of demand reliably?

How do millions of people watch youtube every day? Must be magic.

Can you access this from a roku or firestick? Don't want to be using a tablet or phone (I have an old slow flaky cheapo Samsung 8" and LG tablet from 2016)...and for portable gaming I'd rather use my steam deck, switch, 3ds or vita/psp...(yeah I still use the old portables).

But if it works on roku that with a Luna app, I'd try it.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Can you access this from a roku or firestick? Don't want to be using a tablet or phone (I have an old slow flaky cheapo Samsung 8" and LG tablet from 2016)...and for portable gaming I'd rather use my steam deck, switch, 3ds or vita/psp...(yeah I still use the old portables).

But if it works on roku that with a Luna app, I'd try it.
I have a firestick 4k max and it works no idea about Roku. But I think there is a little more lag through the stick. I didn't notice the lag on the PC.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Look at Steam peak concurrent players to get an idea of how many people are actually playing at the same time. It's a fraction of a fraction of the total userbase. I imagine if cloud gaming grows you will get increasingly tiered accounts that are off peak or not during big release windows etc.

Susurrus

You can connect Luna to Ubisoft Connect on Pc and if you have games there you can play them for free on Luna. That's how I got 30+ games on it.

Edit: I am not sure if you have to have active Amazon Prime subscription.

L0IEn8O.png

Thanks. I also linked my Epic account on the same link account page, but I'm not sure what that does. It didn't add any library.

Spaceman292

Banned

Yes, once they dig up half the country and completely redo the infrastructure.

Moochi

Cloud services will work great for people living in dense cities. It will never work well in the country, even with a perfect communications protocol, because of the universal constant. The country was supposed to be connected with fiberoptic twenty years ago. Still, all that money got embezzled into cellular systems that give more coverage and create more money for less cost. I think the U.S. will never have fiberoptic on the ground.

That means the next best option is satellite. Light travels at 186 miles per millisecond. Starlink is the lowest orbiting communications satellite at 340 miles. That means that a latency of 4 ms is possible in perfect conditions. The problem is that most servers are still located in just a few big cities, so the following calculation is how far away the server is. That distance gets added in as well. If you live within 340 miles of the server, the travel time of light (and all other emf signals) is now 8 ms. Someone living a few thousand miles away from a server in Japan will be hit with a best-case scenario of 40 ms. Then it's a battle against network signal congestion and routing efficiency, which usually doubles or triples the network delay.

A ping of 50 ms is borderline for anything reflex related. You must also add in controller latency, which is about 3 ms. Here is the real issue that makes these Cloud services a pain to use: All latency with cloud gaming is effectively controller latency. This is a huge barrier. The latency needs to be below 30 ms, or the controls feel unresponsive.

SeraphJan

I hope every cloud gaming service fail, so this business model would never take over traditional distribution model in the future.

Imaging in a dystopian future where you can no longer play game locally, meaning you could never import games from foreign region, you could never play game outside of censorship, and you could never own anything.

And we could also kiss MODs goodbye.

Last edited:

Onironauta

I hope every cloud gaming service fail, so this business model would never take over traditional distribution model in the future.

Imaging in a dystopian future where you can no longer play game locally, meaning you could never import games from foreign region, you could never play game outside of censorship, and you could never own anything.
"I don't like something, so no one should be able to use it"

In some countries eletronics are prohibitively expensive, let them be able to play games one way or another.

SeraphJan

"I don't like something, so no one should be able to use it"
You've made the second part up.

In some countries eletronics are prohibitively expensive, let them be able to play games one way or another.
In those country, games are heavily censored, if cloud gaming toke over they would have no means of even playing video games. The service will not be officially supported in their country, they would have to deal with pay wall barriers, VPNs (which might be illegal in their region), and connection to foreign server which usually having 200ms+ of latency, while now they could order games over sea, they could buy used hardware and games for cheap. Cloud gaming will not benefit consumer, it only serves corporate interest and government censorship.

Last edited:
Top Bottom