• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... PS5 will have the best looking games next gen for the first year(s)

Cuck Xbox will always have inferior looking games compared to Chad Sony.

giphy.gif

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Microsoft has gone on record stating that they will not be releasing 1st party exclusive games for the XBSX, there will be 3rd party exclusive games though (we saw some of those in today's divisive MS showing). Thing is... Sony will have actual 1st party exclusives that will more likely than not be more impressive than whatever 3rd parties can come up with (as XBSX exclusives) and MS will not retaliate until a year or two years later, so Sony will end up having the best looking games for two years almost and people will see that and all of the teraflops numbers won't matter to regular people who will just look at Sony's first party offerings looking better than MS's cross gen offerings and 3rd party exclusives. By the time MS starts releasing games tailored specifically for the XBSX people will have already made up their minds and gone with Sony (not even taking into account that you can buy all of MS's first party offerings on PC as well, and that the XBSX will more likely than not end up holding back how they design their own first party games. Read up here in this interview from today where Jason Ronald did not say that XBSX games won't be held back: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...onald-on-power-price-and-that-new-boot-screen)

Notice how he just gives the reporter the run around instead of giving a concise answer. What are your thoughts on the matter?

You are half a year late, you know that, right? We have already discussed this thoroughly.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Would you agree that PS4 has had the most impressive exclusive library altogether this generation as far as visuals?

The only impressive games to me visually was Detroit and The Order. Detroit looks much better on the PC. The Order had incredible shader and material work. All the other games on the PS4 were status quo.

None of the PS4 games showed any technical advantage over any of the 3rd party games. Star Wars still showed the best photogrammetry of any game out; RDR2 has the best open world graphics out. Zelda: BOW is the best showcase for physics we've ever seen, etc.. And several other games excelled in one way or another in a particular way concerning 3D features (i.e. RTX for Metro and Control).

Last edited:

EDMIX

Microsoft has gone on record stating that they will not be releasing 1st party exclusive games for the XBSX, there will be 3rd party exclusive games though (we saw some of those in today's divisive MS showing). Thing is... Sony will have actual 1st party exclusives that will more likely than not be more impressive than whatever 3rd parties can come up with (as XBSX exclusives) and MS will not retaliate until a year or two years later, so Sony will end up having the best looking games for two years almost and people will see that and all of the teraflops numbers won't matter to regular people who will just look at Sony's first party offerings looking better than MS's cross gen offerings and 3rd party exclusives. By the time MS starts releasing games tailored specifically for the XBSX people will have already made up their minds and gone with Sony (not even taking into account that you can buy all of MS's first party offerings on PC as well, and that the XBSX will more likely than not end up holding back how they design their own first party games. Read up here in this interview from today where Jason Ronald did not say that XBSX games won't be held back: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...onald-on-power-price-and-that-new-boot-screen)

Notice how he just gives the reporter the run around instead of giving a concise answer. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Likely.

This logic is very sound. Consider MS isn't even making Series X games for a few years, they are just making XONE games and porting them over...

Sony is very likely actually making PS5 games, as in made from the ground up to ONLY work on PS5 and max it out vs a port.

Sony is ending the year with a massive showing of AAA force. Sony is saying ,here you go PS4 gamers, enjoy The Last Of Us 2, Dreams, Ghost Of Tsushima etc They are very much showing that they started with a bang and they are ending with one.

THAT type of AAA release back to back is what is going to have gamers remember what they bring to the table in terms of content, so PS5 will be a day 1 for many simply based on that massive showing for PS4 during its last days. I'd say no different then Beyond Two Souls, The Last Of Us and GT6 showed THAT is the level of support you get from Sony, that is something I feel led into many buying and supporting PS4 so early on.

Same will likely happen with PS5. So I feel no reason to debate who will have the better looking games, as right now I'd argue most believe that to be Sony considering they outsold both competitors. Right NOW they have the better looking games on PS4, so of course many will see that continue on PS5.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The only impressive games to me visually was Detroit and The Order. Detroit looks much better on the PC. The Order had incredible shader and material work. All the other games on the PS4 were status quo.

None of the PS4 games showed any technical advantage over any of the 3rd party games. Star Wars still showed the best photogrammetry of any game out; RDR2 has the best open world graphics out. Zelda: BOW is the best showcase for physics we've ever seen, etc.. And several other games excelled in one way or another in a particular way concerning 3D features.
Overall PS4 takes the cake it has all of those 3rd party games you mentioned plus many other impressive looking titles

The Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Driveclub
The Order 1886
Ratchet and Clank
Until Dawn
Spider-man
Shadow of the Colossus
Horizon
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
Killzone Shadow Fall

oldergamer

What a bunch of bollocks. you guys keep going with this lowend hardware holding back high end hardware argument when this has been done for YEARS on PC. The fact i could run crysis years ago on a modest machine didn't mean they couldn't scale up even beyond the capabilities of the PC hardware of the time. Now, they won't go beyond the Series X obviously, but there is nothing stopping them from making a game that takes advantage of both new and old hardware.

To be honest, I don't think some people here have an understanding of game development that are making these claims. Not every game needs to completely rely on a feature only provided by the new hardware.

Let's take unreal engine for instance, It can scale from the lowest cell phone hardware, all the way to the most powerful PC/console hardware. Explain how supporting cell phones via Unreal, is hurting their ability to make games on high end hardware?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Overall PS4 takes the cake it has all of those 3rd party games you mentioned plus many other impressive looking titles

The Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Driveclub
The Order 1886
Ratchet and Clank
Until Dawn
Spider-man
Shadow of the Colossus
Horizon
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
Killzone Shadow Fall

You asked me a question and I told you my answer by listing objective tech that's not seen in many of the PS titles. And yet, you are listing all the exclusives of the PS. What a super biased console warrior..

VFXVeteran

Banned
What a bunch of bollocks. you guys keep going with this lowend hardware holding back high end hardware argument when this has been done for YEARS on PC. The fact i could run crysis years ago on a modest machine didn't mean they couldn't scale up even beyond the capabilities of the PC hardware of the time. Now, they won't go beyond the Series X obviously, but there is nothing stopping them from making a game that takes advantage of both new and old hardware.

To be honest, I don't think some people here have an understanding of game development that are making these claims. Not every game needs to completely rely on a feature only provided by the new hardware.

Let's take unreal engine for instance, It can scale from the lowest cell phone hardware, all the way to the most powerful PC/console hardware. Explain how supporting cell phones via Unreal, is hurting their ability to make games on high end hardware?

They don't or they refuse to see it like that. Either way, it's a waste of time. Any game that comes out as an exclusive will automatically be crowned the best looking game over any 3rd party game. And the PS4/5 exclusives that come out on the PC will be diminished and only the ones that show up on the PS5 only will be crowning achievements. They are so so predictable it's not even funny.

oldergamer

Likely.

This logic is very sound. Consider MS isn't even making Series X games for a few years, they are just making XONE games and porting them over...

Sony is very likely actually making PS5 games, as in made from the ground up to ONLY work on PS5 and max it out vs a port.

Sony is ending the year with a massive showing of AAA force. Sony is saying ,here you go PS4 gamers, enjoy The Last Of Us 2, Dreams, Ghost Of Tsushima etc They are very much showing that they started with a bang and they are ending with one.

THAT type of AAA release back to back is what is going to have gamers remember what they bring to the table in terms of content, so PS5 will be a day 1 for many simply based on that massive showing for PS4 during its last days. I'd say no different then Beyond Two Souls, The Last Of Us and GT6 showed THAT is the level of support you get from Sony, that is something I feel led into many buying and supporting PS4 so early on.

Same will likely happen with PS5. So I feel no reason to debate who will have the better looking games, as right now I'd argue most believe that to be Sony considering they outsold both competitors. Right NOW they have the better looking games on PS4, so of course many will see that continue on PS5.

The mental gymnastics here.

You have Sony saying, hey you 100 million playstation owners, we are ending support this year, but we still have a few 1st party exclusives for you (that we will likely re-release on the PS5 as a remaster).

You have MS saying, all of our 1st party exclusives are going to continue to support Xbox One, & Xbox One S until the end of 2021. we are not abandoning you, and all your games will get upgrades if you move to the new console

I could modify your statement with a few minor changes like so:

MS is ending the year with a massive showing of AAA force that scales up from the old to the new hardware. MS is saying ,here you go Xbox gamers, enjoy Halo Infinite, and all the other 1st party games we are releasing along side the new Series X. They are very much showing that they start this new generation with a bang, and they are ending the previous generation with one.

thelastword

Banned
I think PS5 first party will have the superior looking games from year one till year 7 when the PS6 debuts.....I don't see any competition for SWWS in the graphics, animation and even gameplay department. They produce the best games and they tell the best stories with the most loveable and iconic characters.....

oldergamer

They don't or they refuse to see it like that. Either way, it's a waste of time. Any game that comes out as an exclusive will automatically be crowned the best looking game over any 3rd party game. And the PS4/5 exclusives that come out on the PC will be diminished and only the ones that show up on the PS5 only will be crowning achievements. They are so so predictable it's not even funny.
Aye, its a shame really. I plan on enjoying more console exclusives, ya know even though there are people here seem to think MS is abandoning the current gen, even when they come right out and say all first party games released between now and next year will work on the old hardware. I don't see how that is a negative. IMO its a better proposition then what sony is offering.

Hobbygaming

You asked me a question and I told you my answer by listing objective tech that's not seen in many of the PS titles. And yet, you are listing all the exclusives of the PS. What a super biased console warrior..
You have to be more objective. You saying only 2 of PS4's games are impressive visually, says a lot about you

The Shift

Banned
I think PS5 first party will have the superior looking games from year one till year 7 when the PS6 debuts.....I don't see any competition for SWWS in the graphics, animation and even gameplay department. They produce the best games and they tell the best stories with the most loveable and iconic characters.....

What a crock - Sony's games are light weight at best regarding gameplay systems. Sony themselves as well as the Playstation super fans always prioritise graphics, stoyline, motion capture and voice acting over gameplay. It's exactly why the are the most vanilla mainstream developer, and why they are so popular with the casual market.

Shmunter

None of the PS4 games showed any technical advantage over any of the 3rd party games. Star Wars still showed the best photogrammetry of any game out; RDR2 has the best open world graphics out. Zelda: BOW is the best showcase for physics we've ever seen, etc.. And several other games excelled in one way or another in a particular way concerning 3D features (i.e. RTX for Metro and Control).
Most people see games as a creative, artistic & technical medium. Not just one of these, that's why critiquing games is subjective like any media. As a comparison if we were to judge music on it's technical achievement we'd all be praising Classical music with it's complex arrangements and instruments. But we don't see the world like robots and each of us have their own preferences.

Personally e.g. quality of animation trumps native 4k or increased shadow precision. Indeed, I see technical options are a tool set used to paint the canvas. The more tech we get, the more options given to the artist, weather they make use of each or how well they use them is up to them..

oldergamer

UE4 is holding it back by being uneven quality and impeding the artistic vision. Which directly stems from the nature of trying to do everything and sucking at it.
That is total bull$hit and you know it. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. "impeding artistic vision"? Explain in detail, how unreal supporting cell phones impending artistic vision in high end hardware, please. Thing isn't you aren't going to be able to explain that, as it's not an issue.

You know they are using unreal in TV and movie production,
I guess they are holding back visuals there two? Your argument is pure weak sauce.

Am I the only one who thought Detroit was kinda blurry on console? I wasn’t blown away. Haven’t played it on PC tho

Days Gone, Spidey, and God of War do look incredible on my Pro tho

You have to be more objective. You saying only 2 of PS4's games are impressive visually, says a lot about you

Speaking of objective, how objective do you think this post is:

?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
What a crock - Sony's games are light weight at best regarding gameplay systems. Sony themselves as well as the Playstation super fans always prioritise graphics, stoyline, motion capture and voice acting over gameplay. It's exactly why the are the most vanilla mainstream developer, and why they are so popular with the casual market.
So where are these complex gameplay systems I'm not experiencing on a Sony system?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
One of the main things to consider is that its hard to compare art style and design choices made by devs for their games. It's unfair to say one game is better than the other because it excels in areas that are subjective like the art style, character complexity etc.

It's still very human to want to compare things and make judgements on what is "better". This is why the framerate and resolution metrics are always going to be relevant. These metrics are not subjective and can be measured accurately. Does that mean they tell you everything about a game - definitely not.

psorcerer

Banned
You know they are using unreal in TV and movie production

So? Real-time graphics has nothing to do with movie production.
Most movie production pipelines even never use any GPUs.

Explain in detail, how unreal supporting cell phones impending artistic vision in high end hardware, please.

I have already gave an example: FFVII Remake having unbelievably uneven quality across the board.
The "secret" of UE (was the same in UE2 or 3) is that it works well in small scale (all these "impressive" demos with one model or one room) but when scaled to a full game you get into problems.
After all it was made for corridor shooters and it hasn't changed, under all that flair you still see a Skaarj.

oldergamer

That's incorrect. Real-time graphics has a lot to due with movie production these days. If you look up the mandalorian production, they use unreal in realtime in the backgrounds. Anyway not the main point i was making.

I have already gave an example: FFVII Remake having unbelievably uneven quality across the board.
The "secret" of UE (was the same in UE2 or 3) is that it works well in small scale (all these "impressive" demos with one model or one room) but when scaled to a full game you get into problems.
After all it was made for corridor shooters and it hasn't changed, under all that flair you still see a Skaarj.
You haven't yet given a single example. What you gave isn't an example, Its your "opinion", that imo doesn't appear to be based on anything fact driven.

Please explain what you mean by "uneven quality across the board". Explain how cell phone hardware directly caused "uneven quality" in FFVII. You are talking yourself into a corner btw.

Unreal is used in so many different genres of games, just look at the list on the types of games made with unreal 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games It has long been used for more then corridor shooters.

I'm going to come out and say it, your argument isn't based on reality. You're so intent on painting this as a negative, that you are ignoring multiple examples right in front of you saying otherwise. Fact is, older hardware doesn't hold newer hardware back when the software running on it has different rendering paths and properly implements scalable elements. If low end PC hardware didn't hold crysis back, and we have years of examples where this can be demonstrated on the PC, or even consoles, then you don't really have a basis for your argument.

thelastword

Banned
Sony First Party - not Third Party. Your words.

But go on - layout the gameplay systems of the top tier Sony game - The Last of Us, demonstrate the unrivaled depth of the gameplay systems within. I'm intrigued.
No no, shifter, you said Sony games are light weight relative to gameplay systems...….I need to know what I'm missing out on from first parties on other consoles that are so revolutionary and deep relative to gameplay systems....You tell me and I'm going to best buy right now...

VFXVeteran

Banned
Most people see games as a creative, artistic & technical medium. Not just one of these, that's why critiquing games is subjective like any media. As a comparison if we were to judge music on it's technical achievement we'd all be praising Classical music with it's complex arrangements and instruments. But we don't see the world like robots and each of us have their own preferences.

Personally e.g. quality of animation trumps native 4k or increased shadow precision. Indeed, I see technical options are a tool set used to paint the canvas. The more tech we get, the more options given to the artist, weather they make use of each or how well they use them is up to them..

Critiquing games is certainly subjective and that's why it lends itself to bias. Certainly not every 1st party Sony studio is the ONLY people that have superior artistic talent over every other studio simply because it's a Sony studio. And yet, that is exactly what the whole lot of Sony gamers will claim. It's a complete and obvious biased belief.

There are certainly other 3rd party studios with just as good talent (i.e. R*, CDProjeck RED, etc..) but because those games come out for every platform they are not considered in the "best looking PS games" simply because the best iteration of the game isn't on the PS.

The Shift

Banned
No no, shifter, you said Sony games are light weight relative to gameplay systems...….I need to know what I'm missing out on from first parties on other consoles that are so revolutionary and deep relative to gameplay systems....You tell me and I'm going to best buy right now...

I didn't say First Party - you made that distinction so the onus is on you to back that up. Go make a coffee, sit down and rattle off some paragraphs to back up your initial assertion. Look, Sony make the games they do to appeal to the lowest common denominator, customers that like Disney Marvel/Star Wars movies - that's what sells to the mainstream casual market that buy Playstation consoles in the first place. And you know what?! There isn't anything wrong with that, it's Sony's core strength being a Movie/Music transmedia empire to play that up.

Unless you're saying there are 100+ million hardcore videogame enthusiasts on Playstation - are you?

thelastword thelastword You've done this before in other threads, so I would also love to hear the answer to the question below. You pretty much said the only game you can even fathom to play, just so happen to be Sony exclusives. No mention of other games from other companies, which could easily be argued are more complex and in depth. So please, do go on. Pretty sure everyone would love to hear it at this point.

Sony First Party - not Third Party. Your words.

But go on - layout the gameplay systems of the top tier Sony game - The Last of Us, demonstrate the unrivaled depth of the gameplay systems within. I'm intrigued.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Dude stop. Just stop. You don't know what you are talking about. And your hatred over UE is abusive. UE isn't the evil devil that you make it out to be.

And there is nothing wrong with it being small scale. You think the UC4 engine is large scale? You think GoW is large scale?

UE4 isn't designed for open world game design. And that's OK.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Am I the only one who thought Detroit was kinda blurry on console? I wasn’t blown away. Haven’t played it on PC tho

Days Gone, Spidey, and God of War do look incredible on my Pro tho

Speaking of objective, how objective do you think this post is:

?

God of War and Spiderman are both good looking games but you can see the limitations. Days Gone looks great but it's a UE4 game. I think Death Stranding and HZD are both great looking games and probably the best on PS4 - maybe a coincidence they run on the same tech.

But the point is you don't need a PS4 to do any of these games, no secret sauce within. I still wish all these games would land on PC. The best looking game this gen is RDR2 for my money, and titles like Jedi Fallen Order and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are not far behind.

Last edited:
In literal disbelief. Hobbygaming unironically telling someone else they’re not being objective enough cause they don’t find more than 2 PS games graphically impressive.
You’re the one who started it by claiming PS has/will have superior gameplay. You’re asking him to prove a negative, fuck that. Receipts.

VFXVeteran

Banned
God of War and Spiderman are both good looking games but you can see the limitations. Days Gone looks great but it's a UE4 game. I think Death Stranding and HZD are both great looking games and probably the best on PS4 - maybe a coincidence they run on the same tech.

But the point is you don't need a PS4 to do any of these games, no secret sauce within. I still wish all these games would land on PC. The best looking game this gen is RDR2 for my money, and titles like Jedi Fallen Order and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are not far behind.

They will (some of the good ones)... keep watching.

thelastword

Banned
What a crock - Sony's games are light weight at best regarding gameplay systems.
I said Sony's games are the best in graphics, animation and even gameplay systems.....You said the above, pretty bold statement....I want to know what the heavy weights are......You seem to infer, that's I've been playing light-weight stuff all this time, whilst all of you have been feasting over there on greener pastures laughing at us.....What are these heavy weight games relative to gameplay systems?.....I'm actually stoked right now to get in on this......

I love HZD and like DS but I don’t think either game looks better than God of War in any facet.

Just my opinion of course.

Also, as far as “the point.” I never said anything about needing a PS4 or secret sauce, nor did I mention anything about PC. Your reply was either misdirected toward me or I’m just missing something. We were just talking about our list of best looking games on PS4

VFXVeteran

Banned
I said Sony's games are the best in graphics, animation and even gameplay systems.....You said the above, pretty bold statement....I want to know what the heavy weights are......You seem to infer, that's I've been playing light-weight stuff all this time, whilst all of you have been feasting over there on greener pastures laughing at us.....What are these heavy weight games relative to gameplay systems?.....I'm actually stoked right now to get in on this......

RDR2 will destroy any gameplay mechanics of any 1st party exclusive. Zelda: BoTW is another one that has significantly better gameplay mechanics than any Sony title.

Now you name one?

RDR2 will destroy any gameplay mechanics of any 1st party exclusive. Zelda: BoTW is another one that has significantly better gameplay mechanics than any Sony title.

Now you name one?
"Sony didn't make RDR2, therefore, it can't make my list of God-tier titles! Only Sony games can can! Other games DO NOT EXIST!!"

Hobbygaming

I gave my reasons why and how they stood out to me. All the other games have standard fair graphics features found in just about every game the releases.

Now you be objective and list some things on these 1st party games that don't appear on any other platform.
They don't need to have features that aren't in other games to still excel over most games visually

Out of all of the games released this generation you couldn't name 5 that have better character models or animations than TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4

5 that have better weather than Days Gone

5 that have better weather than Driveclub

5 games where an enemy has more polygons than a Thunderjaw in Horizon Zero Dawn

I could go on but I think you get the picture, there's nothing standard about what a lot of these PS4 games are achieving on consoles

Hobbygaming

In literal disbelief. Hobbygaming unironically telling someone else they’re not being objective enough cause they don’t find more than 2 PS games graphically impressive.

You’re the one who started it by claiming PS has/will have superior gameplay. You’re asking him to prove a negative, fuck that. Receipts.
It's the general consensus that PS4 has the best library visually

VFXVeteran

Banned
They don't need to have features that aren't in other games to still excel over most games visually

Out of all of the games released this generation you couldn't name 5 that have better character models or animations than TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4

Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, RE2-3 Remake, Modern Warfare, RDR2 and Zelda: BoTW. All have incredible animation keys, excellent physics-based follow-through and some have more keys than UC4.

5 that have better weather than Days Gone

Zelda. RDR2. Any PC racing simulation game.

5 that have better weather than Driveclub

All of the PC racing sims. All based on real physics.

5 games where an enemy has more polygons than a Thunderjaw in Horizon Zero Dawn

How many polygons does Thunderjaw have? That wouldn't be hard at all. How about measuring all the polygons in a given frame from the entire scene where tessellation can factor in? Why does the PS4 have a very crude LOD system where it can't display as much detail in a 3rd party game as a PC @ Ultra settings?

I could go on but I think you get the picture, there's nothing standard about what a lot of these PS4 games are achieving on consoles

No, do go on and on. I have an answer for every single technical thing you are trying to throw out there.

While we are at it ---

PS4 games lack

.. 16X anisotropic filtering
.. true 4k resolution
.. RTX lighting and shadowing
.. High resolution textures
.. physics-based ambient occlusion
.. high sampled shader materials
.. far LOD loading

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, RE2-3 Remake, Modern Warfare, RDR2 and Zelda: BoTW. All have incredible animation keys, excellent physics-based follow-through and some have more keys than UC4.

Zelda. RDR2. Any PC racing simulation game.

All of the PC racing sims. All based on real physics.

How many polygons does Thunderjaw have? That wouldn't be hard at all. How about measuring all the polygons in a given frame from the entire scene where tessellation can factor in?

No, do go on and on. I have an answer for every single technical thing you are trying to throw out there.

While we are at it ---

PS4 games lack

.. 16X anisotropic filtering
.. true 4k resolution
.. RTX lighting and shadowing
.. High resolution textures
.. physics-based ambient occlusion
.. high sampled shader materials
.. far LOD loading
Smh at your answers

Name me 5 games that look better than TLOU 2 graphically from what we've seen

Top Bottom