• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... PS5 will have the best looking games next gen for the first year(s)

VFXVeteran

Banned
Smh at your answers

Name me 5 games that look better than TLOU 2 graphically from what we've seen

I'm not playing this game with you. I give you concrete answers and you choke at the tech stuff. You know why? Because I know what goes on under the hood in these games and you don't. Period.

And that game you mentioned might be shown on a different platform. You have no idea what exclusives will end up on Steam. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Popularity doesn't equal objective fact. They are all subjective opinions.
Objectively, PS has the most impressive number of exclusive graphically demanding games

We can start looking at best graphics nominations for different years, if you like

Not gonna lie, this side stepping, and speaking in absolutes for everyone is slick entertaining. I just can't imagine how bad ND games would look if it were a first party studio for Microsoft. At least from the viewpoint of some of these die hard Sony fans. Can you imagine if the script was flipped?!

Hobbygaming

I'm not playing this game with you. I give you concrete answers and you choke at the tech stuff. You know why? Because I know what goes on under the hood in these games and you don't. Period.

And that game you mentioned might be shown on a different platform. You have no idea what exclusives will end up on Steam. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You can throw all of the PC numbers and features you want but those games aren't exclusive to PC and resolution won't make most games look better than the PS4 games I listed

Are you able to provide a better list of great looking games on another console?
Goalposts move again? Now you are being specific to console?

Just be honest with us all already... You're Neil Druckmann aren't you?! You just want to boost your ego, and people to tell you ND is the best?

Or is that several other people simply don't agree with your opinion? And can further back it up with facts, as to why their games aren't as impressive as others?

Last edited:
It's the general consensus that PS4 has the best library visually
Of that there is no doubt atleast on console.

Some MS standouts are Forza 4 and Gears 5. Both look graphically amazing.

That said both companies will be supporting both next and current gen so i don't think there will be any superior games on any of the platforms for the first year or two until both focus exclusively on next gen development

Are you able to provide a better list of great looking games on another console?
Do you realise opinions are entirely subjective? They don’t have to be “right” or “wrong”. What are you, the fucking thought police. Some of you guys legit take corporate worship to terrifying new lows. It’s like there’s no middle ground, either people agree with you and bow down to your plastic box of choice or they must be wrong.

Stopitgetsomehelp.gif

Hobbygaming

Goalposts move again? Now you are being specific to console?

Just be honest with us all already... You're Neil Druckmann aren't you?! You just want to boost your ego, and people to tell you ND is the best?

Or is that several other people simply don't agree with your opinion? And can further back it up with facts, as to why their games aren't as impressive as others?
PC doesn't have an exclusive AAA library that can compete with the PS4 graphically

PC doesn't have an exclusive AAA library that can compete with the PS4 graphically
Being that I have owned both, I can tell you, you are completely wrong. Take a look in the 2020 PC screenshots thread for a second, and please tell me what games look better graphically on ps4. You can even include multiplatform games if you'd like.
Name the list of AAA PC exclusives
Seriously go check it out. I would love to see where you get these weird claims from. Maybe you need to step outside your comfort zone, and see what is really out there.

Hobbygaming

Being that I have owned both, I can tell you, you are completely wrong. Take a look in the 2020 PC screenshots thread for a second, and please tell me what games look better graphically on ps4. You can even include multiplatform games if you'd like.

Seriously go check it out. I would love to see where you get these weird claims from. Maybe you need to step outside your comfort zone, and see what is really out there.
I'm intrigued. How many games are there? I'll go check it out even though I doubt there's more than the PS4 list

I'm intrigued. How many games are there? I'll go check it out even though I doubt there's more than the PS4 list
You do realize PC has more exclusives than both consoles combined, for generations on top of that. It excels in all 3rd party games, and gets every Xbox exclusive, plus several Sony exclusives this gen.

What would you say if horizon zero got all the missing effects the ps4 doesn't have. Would ps4 version be superior to PC version?

What about RDR2? It looks and plays miles better on PC than the pro and 1X version. Which looks and plays better than any ND game to date. Yes I went there. On a graphical and technical front, no game from ND can hold a candle to it. Yet it is a multiplatform game? How is that?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You do realize PC has more exclusives than both consoles combined, for generations on top of that. It excels in all 3rd party games, and gets every Xbox exclusive, plus several Sony exclusives this gen.

What would you say if horizon zero got all the missing effects the ps4 doesn't have. Would ps4 version be superior to PC version?

What about RDR2? It looks and plays miles better on PC than the pro and 1X version. Which looks and plays better than any ND game to date. Yes I went there. On a graphical and technical front, no game from ND can hold a candle to it. Yet it is a multiplatform game? How is that?
I checked the thread and I'm disappointed in the 1st few pages so far as it is all old multiplats

RDR2 looks amazing and looks amazing on every platform

Last edited:
I checked the thread and I'm disappointed in the 1st few pages so far as it is all old multiplats
So do they look superior or inferior? You seem to dodge these questions, every single time. Please provide examples. You like to make everyone give their say, yet you don't say much yourself. I'll be waiting. :messenger_ghost:

Hobbygaming

So do they look superior or inferior? You seem to dodge these questions, every single time. Please provide examples. You like to make everyone give their say, yet you don't say much yourself. I'll be waiting. :messenger_ghost:
My whole argument was that PS4 has the most visually impressive library and I stand by that as it has those multiplatform games and more graphically impressive exclusives too

Agree to disagree

My whole argument was that PS4 has the most visually impressive library and I stand by that as it has those multiplatform games and more graphically impressive exclusives too

Agree to disagree
If you’re now saying “agree to disagree”, why not just say that to VFX in the first place instead of the last five posts?

Agree to disagree
You can disagree, but from an objective standpoint, none of the games you mentioned are as impressive, whether from a visual or technical standpoint, than the games mentioned outside of your Sony selection. It's perfectly fine to have your preferences, but to say no other games can hold a candle to those, are disingenuous at best.

By the way, you haven't gotten back to me on the pc screenshot thread. Pick your favorite picture from that thread and compare it to your favorite Sony game. Tell us why xxx game looks better. You keep on with this notion that Sony games look at the best and nothing can compare to them. So you got the spotlight to prove myself and others wrong. I'll have the popcorn waiting.

bitbydeath

PS4 games lack

.. 16X anisotropic filtering
.. true 4k resolution
.. RTX lighting and shadowing
.. High resolution textures
.. physics-based ambient occlusion
.. high sampled shader materials
.. far LOD loading

You could throw all those features and more on Pac-man and it’s still just Pac-man at the end of the day. Having those features don’t make it instantly the best looking game around.

Furthermore, nothing beats Days Gone weather system. Not one single game in existence is on its level. You should check it out.

Vick

9a0f1729dc260aa1c182204c66cec36e.gif

I think games will look pretty similar to what we have now. We have already seen next-gen in tight experiences like Resident Evil 2. The best studios will be able to carry that fidelity to larger worlds. I think the look of games today is already capped at what there is time to show more than what can be shown. Lesser studies will have access to that fidelity. The best games now will be our baseline next gen.

I think ray tracing will only be fully utilized by abstract games. Lighting tricks will still be used by huge teams with limitless resources that are trying to make graphically astounding, realistic looking games.

JTCx

Thanks for the chuckles brew. I knew I can always count on these threads for some terrible hot takes.

Thanks for the chuckles brew. I knew I can always count on these threads for some terrible hot takes.
Whoa whoa whoa now, instead of coming in hot and fluffing air, why not have something to disprove? You can sneak diss, but at least come with something to prove. What looks and plays better? Let's start with that.

Take a look in the 2020 PC screenshots thread for a second, and please tell me what games look better graphically on ps4. You can even include multiplatform games if you'd like.
The best looking game on pc is probably rdr2, and that looks about as good as the ps4 version, minus the image quality issues. Keep in mind it is not exclusive. Given you need high budget for best looking games they are unlikely to be exclusive unless they are first party console titles.

Games like detroit, ghost of tsushima and death stranding are on the same level. And they stand above most other games.

The best looking game on pc is probably rdr2, and that looks about as good as the ps4 version, minus the image quality issues. Keep in mind it is not exclusive. Given you need high budget for best looking games they are unlikely to be exclusive unless they are first party console titles.

Games like detroit, ghost of tsushima and death stranding are on the same level. And they stand above most other games.

RDR2 is ONE of the best looking games on PC yeah. But definitely looks much better, especially in motion and image quality than ps4 version.

One of the games mentioned are on PC and look miles better than the ps4 variants.

Detroit

Last edited:

Vick

Well... Does it not? Anything you'd like to add? Welcome to GAF btw.
No, it very obviously does not.
In fact, Uncharted 3 on PS3 (ND game with most input lag), is still like 10 more fluid and responsive than any game Rockstar ever produced outside of Max Payne 3.
I’m honesly as baffled by these takes as i was when lurking Reee. It’s just nonsense.. Naughty Dog always produced snappy and super responsive games since Jak. I can understand perfectly people prefering different kinds of gameplay loops, i certanly do, but i’ll never understand complaints to their actual controls.

And i say this while thinking RDR2 on patch 1.01 is the very best looking game on the market to this day (The Order looks a bit better but one’s a literal corridor, the other the best and most immervise open world map ever produced), while not being a big ND fan since being underwhelmed by Uncharted 4, and while being one the fews not bothered too much by RDR2 controls.

Genuine question, have you played played a ND game? In a multiplayer match, for instance?

Thanks for the welcome!

RDR2 is ONE of the best looking games on PC yeah. But definitely looks much better, especially in motion and image quality than ps4 version.

One of the games mentioned are on PC and look miles better than the ps4 variants.

Detroit
The problem is we have the comparison side by side videos. And the difference is minute, visually speaking.

No, it very obviously does not.
In fact, Uncharted 3 on PS3 (ND game with most input lag), is still like 10 more fluid and responsive than any game Rockstar ever produced outside of Max Payne 3.
I’m honesly as baffled by these takes as i was when lurking Reee. It’s just nonsense.. Naughty Dog always produced snappy and super responsive games since Jak. I can understand perfectly people prefering different kinds of gameplay loops, i certanly do, but i’ll never understand complaints to their actual controls.

And i say this while thinking RDR2 on patch 1.01 is the very best looking game on the market to this day (The Order looks a bit better but one’s a literal corridor, the other the best and most immervise open world map ever produced), while not being a big ND fan since being underwhelmed by Uncharted 4, and while being one the fews not bothered too much by RDR2 controls.

Genuine question, have you played played a ND game? In a multiplayer match, for instance?

Thanks for the welcome!
I mean if you take into consideration the poor animations uc3 has, it doesn't need to render as much between frame times. When you suddenly teleport Nathan to the enemy NPC, and have a jerky animation, of course you can reduce input latency. Gears of war had better consistency with going in and out of cover for instance, and shooting between cover. (regarding your post in the other thread.) The animations were more fluid,

Also, I'm pretty sure you are comparing console to console release of the games you have compared. I'm pretty sure RDR2 has lower input lag than the games you mentioned, also while taking into consideration how much more complex the game is compared to the games you mentioned.

Have I played uncharted games, you bet your ass I have. It wasn't until bloodborne when i sold my ps4 and extensively played on PC. I've played other titles at a friend's spot afterwards. The sub 30fps games killed my drive to keep playing these games. Why sacrifice fidelity and framerate, when you can have both?

The problem is we have the comparison side by side videos. And the difference is minute, visually speaking.
You can't be comparing framerate alone, all assets aside? Just framerate alone is a night and day difference. More or less the detail, DOF, draw distance, ground clutter, resolution, effects, AF, AA, physics, etc?! There's no way.

Last edited:
You can't be comparing framerate alone, all assets aside? Just framerate alone is a night and day difference. More or less the detail, DOF, draw distance, ground clutter, resolution, effects, AF, AA, physics, etc?! There's no way.
Framerate is important if you're sensitive to that, otherwise it is a waste of resources in most cases. We have the side by side video comparisons, and outside of mods, the difference is not that big.

I imagine you never played n64?

Framerate is important if you're sensitive to that, otherwise it is a waste of resources in most cases. We have the side by side video comparisons, and outside of mods, the difference is not that big.

I imagine you never played n64?
Sensitive to framerate? If my eyes can tell the difference between, 30, 60, 100fps, how could sensitivity be a bad thing? If anything, you want your games to play as close to your eyes exposure as possible. My eyes are more sensitive to low framerate and frame drops.

The difference is big, and you may want to get your eyes checked out for that very reason alone. Higher framerate will never be a wasted resource, ever. No one can argue that framerate is a waste, until you can achieve the very best fidelity, resolution, with raytracing, and exceeding well over 240fps.

psorcerer

Banned
Please explain what you mean by "uneven quality across the board".

You have plenty of information on how bad FFVIIR is. Read the thread.

Explain how cell phone hardware directly caused "uneven quality" in FFVII.

Strawman.

Unreal is used in so many different genres of games, just look at the list on the types of games made with unreal 4

Unity is used even in more cell phone games. And it's even worse than UE.

Fact is, older hardware doesn't hold newer hardware back when the software running on it has different rendering paths and properly implements scalable elements.

You cannot possibly scale that far. Not to mention that any "scalable" part kills performance. Cost of Abstraction.
UE was made in the age when data-oriented design was not fleshed out, and therefore used plenty of inheritance and encapsulation.
That's good for hiding low level complexity, but leads to a bad performance across the board.

If low end PC hardware didn't hold crysis back,

Oh, Cryengine....
It's VRAM bandwidth bound. That's it.
VRAM bandwidth grows so slow in GPUs (compared to other parts) that it gives illusion that it works pretty evenly across older and newer hardware.
Cryengine is not a benchmark of anything. And the only game that you can make on it is Crysis (others being just a Crysis reskin).

And there is nothing wrong with it being small scale.

There's everything wrong. It means that you cannot use hardware efficiently and you rely on huge amounts of RAM to make pretty small scale scenes.
It's ok for offline rendering where you can actually use hundreds of gigabytes of RAM per frame. But for real time gaming worlds you need some sort of a LoD solution.
I was hoping that by introducing terrain render they will solve it, but they could not. Nobody even uses their terrain solution, AFAIK.

Sw0pDiller

Always is and always will be. Just look at the 2 new very good looking AAA games coming one after the other, and then compare to what X released recently, Sony exclusives will always be topping X games, it's not even a contest anymore.
As a long time ps owner i agree that sony is treating it's console owners with an overflow of great aaa story telling titles and smaller gems. That not to say that Ms hasn't learned from the laat two generations. They have invested heavily in first party games. I sencerly hope they will do better in de exclusieve games department. I don't have to buy an Xbox for them either. I can just play them on go on my crap pc. I am not prepared to pay the full go membership price btw. Not until they have their God of war quality games out.

The difference is big, and you may want to get your eyes checked out for that very reason alone. Higher framerate will never be a wasted resource, ever. No one can argue that framerate is a waste, until you can achieve the very best fidelity, resolution, with raytracing, and exceeding well over 240fps.
I can tell the difference between 60 and 30, it's just not that big a deal, maybe in some genres it provides slightly better controls. Also many people have trouble telling the difference between 144 and 240 fps.

Solid 30fps is plenty sufficient.

Days Gone by a mile.

images

EWWN87SU4AAynpG

EWWN8kXUcAAXr0u

EWSyo_0U4AENJRO
I see you edited the post now, and RDR2 still looks better... Again, not sure what this is is supposed to be proving. Scenery and details are much more defined on RDR2...

I can tell the difference between 60 and 30, it's just not that big a deal, maybe in some genres it provides slightly better controls. Also many people have trouble telling the difference between 144 and 240 fps.

Solid 30fps is plenty sufficient.
30 and 60 is huge. 60 and 144 is huge. 144 and 240, not so much. But until games can reach that, with everything enabled, frame rate will definitely matter. If it didn't, Sony and MS wouldn't even mention support for 120fps, Aaron G. wouldn't state that series X games should all play at 60fps. Hdmi 2.1 wouldn't exist if higher frame rate wasn't something consumers wanted. You can absolutely bet that higher framerate is a good thing. Maybe you should experience it first, to have an opinion on it, instead of speculating.

Top Bottom