• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, the PS5 Event...

lmimmfn

Ill get hassle for this but i don't think there was anything there that visually isn't possible on the pro or Xbox One, the best i saw was reflections on the cars in GT 7.

Susurrus

I had to rewatch a fair bit of them on YouTube. Some of them I came away with a better impression of than seeing them on twitch.

To be fair, I watched the live original on Youtube and it was capped at 1080 w/ a low bit rate, so it felt pretty bland. idk why they didn't 4k it.

Moogle11

Banned
Solid 8.5ish for me as I've said elsewhere. I had pretty measured expectations as graphics have hit the diminishing returns phase for me as I'm rarely wowed by anything anymore. Game wise I figured Horizon 2 would be the main thing that would wow me (first one is second behind God of War on my game of the current generation so far list), with an outside shot at seeing a Spider-man sequel. So getting the latter was a nice semi-surprise for me. I figured a new Ratchet and Clank would be shown, and thought it looked really good. Many of the AA/Indie stuff looked like things I'll enjoy.

So it was a solid event for me. Made me feel like buying a PS5 at or near launch will be a better experience for me than the PS4 that was very thin on exclusives for me the first year plus (Xbox One was as well).

Yes he did

I actually think Demon souls and RE8 was in game just not "gameplay"

TBH i expected Demon souls to look better than it did
I'm with you on Demon's Souls. But, if you think about it... BluePoint is not a AAA studio. I think some of us may have gotten a little too hyped about the remake. Not really our fault, it was being hyped up by insiders and rumors. I can't blame fans for getting hyped because of that.

I gotta say that this whole reveal, take out all the game reveals, just the transitions from game to game, the console reveal itself with the music and the b-roll... it was slick AF! That was some Apple hardware reveal type shit LOL As a designer, I'm a sucker for great design/presentation.

kuncol02

Banned
I honestly don't think simply removing the disc drive is gonna shave off that much in cost, since disc drives are like $20 or so at the bulk they need for these systems
They could easily made it 100$ cheaper (or even more) and get money back from game sales. Digital games are more expensive, Sony gets bigger cut from them and there is no second hand market.

They could easily made it 100$ cheaper (or even more) and get money back from game sales. Digital games are more expensive, Sony gets bigger cut from them and there is no second hand market.

So, they could do that, but wouldn't it also mean they're selling the digital system at a loss? If the drive is only $20 (maybe $25) in total, but they're selling it for $100 less than the disc system, that's a $75 loss over simply the disc unit, which could also be selling at a loss for all we know.

If that's the case, is it the best strategy? And again like with XSX and Lockhart, how will they figure out the logistics in deciding which unit gets what amount of systems manufactured. IIRC Sony really under-manufactured the launch PS3 with the larger HDD installed, but that was the one most people wanted.

I liked the black lady that was kicking the can...

What game was that? And was she cute, or more like Debra Wilson (no offense to her, loved her on MAD TV, but yeah :S)

Where's Knack III?

Yes I actually liked Knack I & II. Both great platforming games in the age of non-platforming games.

We need a Mark Cerny game! What happened to the rumored Jak and Daxter game?

I think Knack is dead, dude. That R&C game had a lot of the particle/small objects on screen appeal that the Knack games did showing off PS4. But R&C just have a much bigger appeal with people as a whole.

Smart business decision, but sucky for fans of the IP such as yourself. I'm still waiting on sequels to UmJammer and Tomba 2 :messenger_angry:

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I'm with you on Demon's Souls. But, if you think about it... BluePoint is not a AAA studio. I think some of us may have gotten a little too hyped about the remake. Not really our fault, it was being hyped up by insiders and rumors. I can't blame fans for getting hyped because of that.

Well they did say this

Still looks good thought I wonder if it will look better than deep down

kuncol02

Banned
Probably for better tracking of the PSVR headset. The headset is forwards-compatible, but the PS4 camera is a bit weak when it comes to spatial precision.

Please don't even sugest that PSVR2 will use outside in camera. With that type of tracking it would be better if sony would just never made PSVR2.

So, they could do that, but wouldn't it also mean they're selling the digital system at a loss? If the drive is only $20 (maybe $25) in total, but they're selling it for $100 less than the disc system, that's a $75 loss over simply the disc unit, which could also be selling at a loss for all we know.

If that's the case, is it the best strategy? And again like with XSX and Lockhart, how will they figure out the logistics in deciding which unit gets what amount of systems manufactured. IIRC Sony really under-manufactured the launch PS3 with the larger HDD installed, but that was the one most people wanted.
25$ from drive, some money on license for BR player, that would make it something like 50-70$ loss that's like 4 maybe 5 games bought?
Is that good strategy? Hard to say. It has additional bonus of preparing people for digital only future (aka nightmare).

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Overall, I think it was "fine". I'm definitely glad we saw the console now and, tbh, I'm quite surprised with the design. Maybe wouldn't say it's a favorite of mine, but it's got style and that's cool. Matches up well with the controller, as well. Kind of does look like a router, though. So we have a router and a fridge for our next-gen systems xD.

THE GREAT:

>Ratchet & Clank: I was REALLY impressed with this one. Even closer to that Pixar-level quality graphics, LOTs of particle effects (in fact the gears reminded me of Knack; maybe appropriate since that IP is probably dead). The location-hopping being instant and seamless not only looked great visually, but opens up some creative game design possibilities.

It's kind of funny that the two games showing this so far (R&C, The Medium) couldn't be more different in terms of mood and tone x3.

>Horizon: Zero Dawn 2: Just fantastic overall. Gives a strong sense of exploration and adventure. The turtle "boss" near the end was impressive as well.
And they've got Lieutenant Daniels from The Wire in here! Maybe they can team up with Aloy and catch Marlon, Season 5 let him get off way too easily.

Overall for me this and R&C were easily the stand-outs.

>Presentation Quality: No shitty webcams like the Inside Xbox event, professional the whole way through as it should be. I'd also say the pacing was
very good, too, even for being a relatively longer event (1h30m)

THE OKAY:

>Demon's Souls Remake: Not about the game itself (it's gonna be fantastic), but moreso there being no actual in-game gameplay. Just CG cutscenes, more or less.

>Resident Evil 8: Same issue as Demon's Souls Remake.

>The Indies; MOST of them look good or at least interesting and worth checking out, but I dunno if some of them necessarily "looked" next-gen tbh.

>2 SKUs: So I guess @VFXVeteran was right on this one, more or less. Sony's approach doesn't seem as "radical" as MS's might be (provided Lockhart is actually coming out), but I didn't expect them to do an all-digital SKU, that's for sure. At least not at launch. I honestly don't think simply removing the disc drive is gonna shave off that much in cost, since disc drives are like $20 or so at the bulk they need for these systems, not to mention Sony makes their own and doesn't pay royalties on Blu-Ray like MS so...

....I'm guessing they're also cutting back on storage space, IF the 825 GB model is the higher-end. Maybe an SSD half as large as the non-discless version using 32 GB modules instead of 64 GB ones? Because they still need to maintain the same SSD I/O performance across both, no questions there.

THE MEH:

>That Furry Game: I've got nothing against furries or anthropomorphic characters, but that Bojack/Tuca & Birdie or whatever it's name is game..I can't understand or believe what I was watching there. It had me laughing the whole time. Maybe it'll be a fun game for its audience, who knows. But I just found it funny.

>That Nick Jr Game: Don't know it's name, but you know the one. The one with the character that kept looking back at the audience like Dora the Explorer, playing out like a Nick Jr. episode in videogame form. Again, maybe not the intended audience for that, but I doubt almost anyone watching this show was the intended audience, either. I couldn't help but laugh.

------------

OVERALL?

I have to give the show as a whole a 7.5/10. If it wasn't for HZD2 and some of the new IP in the last 10 or so minutes it'd probably be a bit lower, but don't take that to mean I thought the games were "bad". I actually liked most what I saw, and even those furry and Nick Jr. games might be fun for their intended audience. At the very least, a lot more games are on my radar, including the obvious 1st-party stuff.

In terms of anything wowing me as possibly next-gen visually, well I think that easily goes to HZD2 and R&C, once again. There were some games that didn't look as good as I thought they would though, like GT7 (though I'm sure that's gonna be a really good game where it counts), and some that didn't necessarily look "next-gen" too much at all even if they did look good nonetheless. However, there was WAY more actual gameplay here than the Inside Xbox event, which is a net positive, and we also got to see some 1st party here too, another positive (I know the Inside Xbox show was not for 1st party but still). Also unlike MS, Sony made sure to clarify game status right in the show itself; we shouldn't have had to wait until after Inside Xbox to learn about Scorn and The Medium being next-gen only and Xbox exclusives, for example.

So do I think this was better than the Inside Xbox show? Yeah. By how much? Well, not too much TBH. I'd say maybe about a point better at most. Then again I wasn't one of those dudes who thought the Inside Xbox event was an unmitigated disaster (and fail to see how anyone else could actually justify thinking it was on that level honestly). Thankfully I kept my hype in check but was still satisfied more or less. I'm looking forward to the Xbox show in July and more stuff from Sony and Microsoft leading up to launch, while I still scratch my head wondering why they both seem so eager to do dual SKUs out of the gate...

Because that's, like, really baffling me dude :pie_roffles:

Seems really odd to say that it's only about 1 point better than the Inside Xbox show...when there's not a game that got me excited about on that show.

PS5 Event? We had:

- Demon's Souls Remake
- Horizon 2
- Ratchet & Clank
- Gran Turismo 7
- New Square Enix IP
- Resident Evil 8
- New Mikami game
- New Housemarque game
- New Capcom IP Pragmata
- Some really cool indies

Sony had a LOT OF GAMES to show, which was great. The problem is that while they looked fun, only a select few looked 'next-gen'. I agree with your score 7.5-8 or so, but the Xbox showing was a 2 at best in comparison. I expect MS will have a much more compelling show in July that should be more comparable to the PS5 event.

Evilms

Banned
- Horizon 2
- Hitman III
- Ratchet & Clank
- Gran Turismo 7
- Athia
- Resident Evil 8
- Returnal
- Pragmata
- Demon's Souls Remake
- Kena Bridge of Spirits
- PS5 Design reveal

A solid 8/10 for this 1st event, the exact opposite of the ugly inside xbox of May.

Last edited:
Please don't even sugest that PSVR2 will use outside in camera. With that type of tracking it would be better if sony would just never made PSVR2.

25$ from drive, some money on license for BR player, that would make it something like 50-70$ loss that's like 4 maybe 5 games bought?
Is that good strategy? Hard to say. It has additional bonus of preparing people for digital only future (aka nightmare).

No, that's a misunderstanding. Sony doesn't pay any royalties on BR since they're one of the founding tech partners. And they also make their own BR drives, rather than need to buy them from a different source. So I can't see them saving anywhere near $50-$70 by removing the disc drive alone.

Some other people have said they'd take a loss on the digital system since they'd recoup the costs with game sales, subscriptions etc. But that could mean they're selling both the discless and disc system for a loss, potentially. Maybe it'd work maybe it won't we'll have to see.

Seems really odd to say that it's only about 1 point better than the Inside Xbox show...when there's not a game that got me excited about on that show.

PS5 Event? We had:

- Demon's Souls Remake
- Horizon 2
- Ratchet & Clank
- Gran Turismo 7
- New Square Enix IP
- Resident Evil 8
- New Mikami game
- New Housemarque game
- New Capcom IP Pragmata
- Some really cool indies

Sony had a LOT OF GAMES to show, which was great. The problem is that while they looked fun, only a select few looked 'next-gen'. I agree with your score 7.5-8 or so, but the Xbox showing was a 2 at best in comparison. I expect MS will have a much more compelling show in July that should be more comparable to the PS5 event.

I guess it comes down to your gaming tastes and expectations. A lot of the games shown weren't really the issue for me. It's more the fact some of the bigger ones didn't have any gameplay shown, and some like GT7 weren't as visually stunning as I thought they'd be (though that might be a cross-gen game).

While the Inside Xbox event didn't have a lot of gameplay and the actual production quality was lower thanks to those crappy webcams, I liked a lot of stuff there game-wise and their lows on that front weren't as low as a couple of the games in the Sony event (the two I mentioned as being "Meh" in the OP). Plus visually I think most of what was shown at the Inside Xbox event holds up well with the best seen at the PS5 one, especially games like Bright Memory Infinite and Scorn in particular (as well as Medium and that cyberpunk/scifi isometric shooter).

So my way of looking at the events is more on those terms; games-wise there was a ton of great stuff here, and at the Inside Xbox event, too. I think the PS5 one is a bit better since it had a ton more actual gameplay, better presentation quality, and some really impressive 1st party stuff like R&C and HZD2.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Yeah I agree with you.

Wonder if it would have been better if they scrapped some of the smaller titles for a shorter more focused presentation. There were rumours that Sony was rejecting a lot of showcases and I can only imagine them being worse than that cartoon My Little Pony game hahaha.

SonGoku

I honestly don't think simply removing the disc drive is gonna shave off that much in cost, since disc drives are like $20
If digital is $400-450, they could recoup losses with higher profit margins from digital sales
..I'm guessing they're also cutting back on storage space, IF the 825 GB model is the higher-end.
No way the digital sku has less storage if anything it should have more storage but realistically the same

Kagero

There was a Japanese game in there with a dragon that I feel is being overlooked. To me, it was like the unreal demo, only an actual game. Maybe it wasn’t that great since I don’t remember the name lol.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No, that's a misunderstanding. Sony doesn't pay any royalties on BR since they're one of the founding tech partners. And they also make their own BR drives, rather than need to buy them from a different source. So I can't see them saving anywhere near $50-$70 by removing the disc drive alone.

Some other people have said they'd take a loss on the digital system since they'd recoup the costs with game sales, subscriptions etc. But that could mean they're selling both the discless and disc system for a loss, potentially. Maybe it'd work maybe it won't we'll have to see.

I guess it comes down to your gaming tastes and expectations. A lot of the games shown weren't really the issue for me. It's more the fact some of the bigger ones didn't have any gameplay shown, and some like GT7 weren't as visually stunning as I thought they'd be (though that might be a cross-gen game).

While the Inside Xbox event didn't have a lot of gameplay and the actual production quality was lower thanks to those crappy webcams, I liked a lot of stuff there game-wise and their lows on that front weren't as low as a couple of the games in the Sony event (the two I mentioned as being "Meh" in the OP). Plus visually I think most of what was shown at the Inside Xbox event holds up well with the best seen at the PS5 one, especially games like Bright Memory Infinite and Scorn in particular (as well as Medium and that cyberpunk/scifi isometric shooter).

So my way of looking at the events is more on those terms; games-wise there was a ton of great stuff here, and at the Inside Xbox event, too. I think the PS5 one is a bit better since it had a ton more actual gameplay, better presentation quality, and some really impressive 1st party stuff like R&C and HZD2.

I highly disagree with that statement.

Not that anyone asked/cares but my thoughts in no particular order;
- lol at starting with GTA5, terrible decision
- was half expecting some BC news after the previous gen reel at the start so that was a bummer but I guess it was more to show “how far we’ve come” or to emphasise next gen
- some of the games were really cool. Ratchet and Clank looked great, Deathloop, few of the indies. Probably forgetting something
- not that it looked bad at all but I thought GT was kind of samey-current gen looking. Suppose car games will be one of the first genres to hit diminishing returns for graphics, plus all the footage being on a standard track / in daylight wasn’t mind blowing or anything
- outside of maybe Ratchet and Clank, I really didn’t see anything that screamed “only possible on PS5”. One of the games was even marketed with “designed for PS5” yet is also available on PC
Overall was good, decent. Still looking at getting a PS5 at some point, not sure when. More clarity on back compat will influence my decision.
Edit: also jfc how many different Square Triangle X Circle transitions do you need. Just go to the next trailer. I’d almost prefer “world premiere”.

Last edited:
If digital is $400-450, they could recoup losses with higher profit margins from digital sales

No way the digital sku has less storage if anything it should have more storage but realistically the same

First off it's good to have you back man; dunno if you came back today or some days earlier but nonetheless (y)

I agree with them using the digital system to recoup costs and therefore willing to take a loss on it. But how would they be able to justify putting more storage in the digital system vs. disc one? I think both Sony and MS are already dealing with NAND price and supply as-is, even if they locked in contracts much earlier.

Are you of the opinion that they might lead with the digital version, and since they could recoup the costs on digital game sales, subscriptions etc. they might even consider offsetting whatever small savings from removing the disc drive would bring to up the storage capacity? Looking at it from that angle I'd suspect the digital system would have the higher MSRP potentially.

Could be interesting that way, though. We usually think of discless systems as a means of providing a cheaper alternative, but it'd be neat to see if Sony are considering positioning such as the premium SKU and upping the storage capacity to do so.

I highly disagree with that statement.

Guess this is where our opinions differ. BMI impressed me quite a bit especially considering it's a one-person effort. Yeah I know they're using pre-made assets, but it's cool to think indie devs can provide gameplay and visual experiences comparable to larger studio efforts. Just means more high-quality games all around imho.

There was a Japanese game in there with a dragon that I feel is being overlooked. To me, it was like the unreal demo, only an actual game. Maybe it wasn’t that great since I don’t remember the name lol.

I think I know what game you're talking about, but I can't remember the name either. Was it the Square-Enix game or the Capcom one, or maybe it was a different dev?

- Horizon 2
- Hitman III
- Ratchet & Clank
- Gran Turismo 7
- Athia
- Resident Evil 8
- Returnal
- Pragmata
- Demon's Souls Remake
- Kena Bridge of Spirits
- PS5 Design reveal

A solid 8/10 for this 1st event, the exact opposite of the ugly inside xbox of May.

Lol I guess some people def disliked the Inside Xbox event, but I enjoyed all the things you listed for the PS5 show. Maybe except Hitman but that's it.

I hope Returnal gets a different title soon; game titles aren't that big a deal I get it but for some reason that name is irritating me.

Personally, I'd give it a solid 8/10 because it was the sum of its part with genuinely shocking moments like the reveal of the console!

Don't you mean consoles? ;)

Seriously, I didn't see the dual SKU part coming, had to rewind the stream to make sure it wasn't a trick.

But I was mostly expecting the console reveal, there wasn't much reason not to imo.

skneogaf

I wanted to see an example of the ssd i/O speed, I wanted to know if ps4 games get boosted on the ps5, I wanted a demo of the special sound.

Nothing shown cannot be done on a pc or the xbox series x.

Ratchet if gameplay was cool in going through portals but didn't look like actual gameplay to me.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
A little underwhelming. I guess it's diminishing returns really.

Was not expecting the headset. Makes sense since they have their own proprietary 3d sound solution, and now they provide a way to properly experience it.

Was also not expecting a camera neither. Wasn't all of this Kinect stuff killed already???
Guys just stop with the diminishing returns bs. We've been reading this at the start of every gen since PS3 and it's always proven wrong. We are in a transition period. As always. We will see proper nextgen stuff after 2-3 years into the gen. That's how it always is since the first consoles.

SonGoku

how would they be able to justify putting more storage in the digital system vs. disc one? I think both Sony and MS are already dealing with NAND price and supply as-is, even if they locked in contracts much earlier.
If Digital is meant to be the cheaper SKU it won't have more storage realistically but i don't think is viable to ship digital with 412.5GB (~350GB available for games). So it has to be 825GB
Are you of the opinion that they might lead with the digital version, and since they could recoup the costs on digital game sales, subscriptions etc.
That's the hunch i had since they announced it that they wil use digital as the trojan horse for $400-450
but it'd be neat to see if Sony are considering positioning such as the premium SKU
Definetly, extra $100 would definitely be worth double the storage but i don't think that's what they are going for

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I actually expected them to wow with at least one game graphically, but nothing did really. I think Killzone 4 at the start of last gen was quite an impressive moment, but there was nothing today with that kind of impact.
I think the epic demo set a bar so high no one is touching it for a while. Everything is meh compared to that. I don't think we will see the best out of the PS5 until naughty dog starts on it and builds tools for the rest of Sonys teams.

SonGoku

Guys just stop with the diminishing returns bs. We've been reading this at the start of every gen since PS3 and it's always proven wrong. We are in a transition period. As always. We will see proper nextgen stuff after 2-3 years into the gen. That's how it always is since the first consoles.
Rachet puts diminishing returns to rest, it definitely gave that next gen only impression
Horizon was super impressive as well but since they didn't show proper gameplay I don't know how representative it is
You mean this?
Its probably this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shmunter

That GT7 did not set a good tone for me. Expected more from a flagship driving games fidelity. And shadow draw in? Please.

Got better from there in many parts luckily.

TLZ

Banned
Rachet puts diminishing returns to rest, it definitely gave that next gen only impression
Horizon was super impressive as well but since they didn't show proper gameplay I don't know how representative it is
Don't laugh at me, but I wasn't that impressed with Ratchet :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Because of how it looked on PS4, and how I thought it looked close to a Pixar cartoon, I thought this time it definitely would look exactly like one. So I expected a lot more. Maybe that can happen closer to the end of this gen.

SonGoku

Don't laugh at me, but I wasn't that impressed with Ratchet :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Because of how it looked on PS4, and how I thought it looked close to a Pixar cartoon, I thought this time it definitely would look exactly like one. So I expected a lot more. Maybe that can happen closer to the end of this gen.
Did you watch the hq video btw?
I definitely get your point, besides the graphics what impressed me the most is the openness and scale of the world, which not only looks huge but dynamic (alive) and portal hopping is definitely a key next gen feature. PS4 would probably look like a PS2/3 game if it went for the same scale and implemented instant portal jumping .

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
You mean this?

No, not that one but I'm glad you mentioned it. This was actually one of the other standouts for me.

The furry game I'm talking about was like that Netflix show Bojack Horseman in artstyle. Or Tuca and Birdie as another example.

Did not see a KZ Shadowfall moment unfortunately.

Also why was I wearing headphones?

Funny that, I forgot to wear headphones. Did I miss anything by not wearing them?

Its probably this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yep, that's the one. I..I can't believe this is a game. It's like Bojack but they got Jaden Smith to write the concept. Could be a "fun" game for ironic reasons.

njean777

Pretty sure the RE8 trailer had gameplay in it for sure, RE7 looked pretty good from what I remember so that is more than likely exactly how RE8 will look from what saw in the trailer. Like when he pulls the curtain back and the guy shoots I am sure that was actual gameplay.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I’d rate it NO SOCOM/10

The world changing in Ratchet was cool, but gimmicky and i just hope it’s not overused to the detriment of the gameplay.

Good on them for showing honest trailers and actual Gran Turismo gameplay as well.

Interested to see how MS reaponds.

Amory

Have a gaming PC so didn't want a ps5 (at launch) before the show and now I kinda do. So from that perspective I thought they did well

Sejan

I was going to buy it at launch. After the presentation, I’ll probably wait a little while longer. Very disappointed.

Rayderism

For me, there was only 3 games that I want right away, and 1 that MIGHT be decent.

Spider-Man
Ratchet & Clank
Horizon 2

and

Project Athia

None of the rest looked like anything I'd be particularly interested in.

Neo_game

It was overal disappointing.
There was no "Wow" moment except for the ratchet worldswapping.
Nothing clise to the ue5 demo and no unique, generation defining gane.
Nothing that could not be done in current gen

Get used to it. I do not think we are going to see anything not possible in next couple of years at least.

Matsuchezz

I am excited on lots of indie games and games that are completely new ips. That is what i like about ps the wide array of games they push and publish is what makes me buy a Playstation every single generation.
watching several youtubers that i follow the excitement is in most of all of them. The games they showed made me smile and laugh several times out of pure excitement.
i am cool with Sony that they can not reveal all the cards at one event. They have to save some stuff to show later this year or other events.

Last edited:
Top Bottom