• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's better: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross?

I was in Fry's today and came across the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger. Since I've heard about it a lot, I decided to pick it up (its the compilation version with FFII).

I looked at Gamerankings.com and Chrono Cross seems to be rated higher as Chrono Trigger isn't high on any of the lists (if its there at all). Does the PS1 version suck or something?

VerTiGo

Banned
I've always liked Chrono Cross better. Better battle system, larger game, tons of replayability, and not to forget one of the best videogame soundtracks ever.

Chrono Cross! The environments, the music, the characters, the battle system were all awesome! CT is ugly and unplayable for me, must have been a great game for it's time though.

Razoric

Banned
Chrono Trigger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chrono Cross

Ways it is better:
Music
Story
Characters
Battle System
Graphics (2D > PSOne 3D)
etc
etc
etc

Not even a contest.

And for the record, I liked Chrono Cross it just doesnt hold a candle to the original. :O

Borys

Banned
16-bit heavy-nostalgia fanbois: TRIGGER!
32-bit fanbois: CROSS!

Me: get both, they are worth it.
Trigger isn't as awesome as people say it is and Cross isn't as awful as people say it is.

Jeff-DSA

Doom_Bringer said:
Chrono Cross! The environments, the music, the characters, the battle system were all awesome! CT is ugly and unplayable for me, must have been a great game for it's time though.

Chrono Trigger is far from ugly. Chrono Cross is pretty harsh on the eyes these days though, especially the first hour of the game.

Jeff-DSA said:
Chrono Trigger is far from ugly. Chrono Cross is pretty harsh on the eyes these days though, especially the first hour of the game.

CC looks phenomenal on ePSXe (PSX emulator). I tried to play CT but couldn't stand the ugly 2d graphics and the midi soundtrack.

jett

D-Member
VerTiGo said:
I've always liked Chrono Cross better. Better battle system, larger game, tons of replayability, and not to forget one of the best videogame soundtracks ever.

Yes. Chrono Cross is better. Trigger wasn't even all that back in the day.

Razoric

Banned
I'm honestly in shock there are people who like CC over CT. I know people are entitled to their opinions but my god... :O

Cherubae

Definatly Trigger. I couldn't even finish playing Cross. I tried twice and got bored at the same spot near the end of the game. I did enjoy the Kid character in Cross though, even if the game wasn't as enjoyable to me as Trigger was.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It's tough for me, as I didn't catch CT til it was released on the PS1 (and even then I didn't buy it til Kmart put it on clearance and I got it for 20 bucks.)

It's kind of unfair to compare an SNES game to a late, late PS1 game. I think you've got to ask yourself, if both were updated for this generation, which would hold up better? And in that case I'd have to go with... Chrono Trigger. I think the characters would be more important to the storyline (no need to have 30+ characters when theres no story to 25 of them), the music could be phenomenal, and the initial idea of time travel between all the times, and seeing the effects of all your travels on different time periods, could be amazing.

Not to trash CC, as I still liked the game a lot (even though I was pretty damn irked that they only let me explore one fraction of the world... how retarded is that?) but it just couldn't hold a stick to CT in a fair challenge.

argon

Doom_Bringer said:
CC looks phenomenal on ePSXe (PSX emulator). I tried to play CT but couldn't stand the ugly 2d graphics and the midi soundtrack.

Ugly? CT was graphically stunning for its time, and still holds up very well today.. If you don't like 2d graphics in general, thats fine.. but the game is not ugly by any means.

- a great story spanning across multiple eras
- arguably the best graphics of any SNES RPG
- an amazing soundtrack (if you discount it because its midi, turn in your gamer's license right now)
- great character design
- multiple endings, and replay value.. yes, in an RPG!

It's probably my overall favorite RPG, and I'm sure I'm not alone. IMHO it was Square at the peak of its skills.

I bought CC, but just couldn't get into it.. I was extremely dissappointed by it. That's not to say it wasn't a good game, but it just wasn't what I was looking for after playing CT.

The plot and gameplay are better in CT, CC still plays great, but the story kind of loses it's focus on the second CD. CT is one of the best looking SNES games and CC is one of the best looking PS1 games. The 2D graphics are still great in CC, and the music is amazing. The music in CT is just ok.

But yeah, they are both great games, the Chrono Cross haters probably expected it to be a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Bobety

Trigger is better, cross is still good though.

Oh, and the ps1 version of chrono trigger is awful, for some reason the music plays at like half the speed of the snes version, i couldn't bring myself to continue playing it (the music is one of the best things about CT).

Zaphod

Apples and oranges to me. About the only thing the same between them is how the battles take place on the same screen you walk on. Which is cool to me, I liked that part. Both games are fun for what they are.

Diablos

Chrono Trigger, if only because it's one of the very few 16-bit games that so many years later still plays, looks, and sounds good.

Unfortunately, CC fell victim to the PSX RPG machine, which was good for it's time but does not age well at all... save the soundtrack.

Drakken

Chrono Trigger

*looks at the last post and avatar and laughs*

Seriously, though, I prefer Trigger. They're both great games, though; you might as well play through both of them if you haven't.

Btw, a remake of Chrono Trigger with current-gen-quality music would be amazingly awesome.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
1) Buy Chrono Trigger for PSX.
2) Download the ROM and play it on a SNES emulator.

Probably still not legal, but I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Tamanon

Banned
Chrono Trigger

The setting and characters are just so much more likeable than Cross. While a decent game, it's not replayable at all for me. But Trigger I can always pick back up at any time and play through.

Madame M

Banned
Soundtrack? Chrono Cross

Game? Chrono Trigger

Both that great of games?

No.

Chrono Trigger had some amazing production values though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Chrono Trigger felt like much more of a complete game. Cross just seemed sketchy in certain areas although its been a while since i played it..

Both games suck.

Lufia II!

lufia22-2.jpg

Brandish!

br_logo.jpg

Valkyrie Profile!

vpc1.jpg

Grandia!

Grandia%20-%20Wallpaper%205.jpg

TAG TEAM TOGETHER! CRAPPY GAMES BEGONE!

Top Bottom