• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's better: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross?

Ironclad

Idioteque said:
I'm sorry but CT is better than all those games you listed.

Valkyrie Profile comes pretty close though.
Uh, no. Lufia II, VP, and Grandia crush CT as far as RPG's go. Crush.

Never played Brandish so I can't comment on that. Best part of CT is the music and that is because it's composed by Mitsuda.

Jonnyboy117 said:
For my part, CT is 100x the game that CC is. I was shocked -- SHOCKED when GameSpot gave CC a 10.0, and to this day I think it's a gross overstatement of the game's quality.

Wasn't that review written by Andrew Vestal, who posts here as JackFrost?

Anyway, Chrono Cross rocks. Respect the Solt and Peppor :(

Surprised Skies of Arcadia hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. IMO it's better than either of the Chrono games, and has the same sort of charming, light-hearted adventure feel as Trigger.

Valkyrie Profile is also better than either of the Chrono games. It's a shame that it's so rare these days, but it's easily worth what it goes for on eBay. It's funny, with the current big trend of real-time battles in RPGs, you'd think that developers would have made improvements in the methods of controlling a party of characters in real time over the past 5 years. But nope, they haven't - VP is still squarely at the top of the RPG heap when it comes to engaging, visceral real-time combat. The game's got gorgeous artwork and awesome characters too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The only thing worse than hardcore Square fanboys are those who are hardcore anti-Square and automatically dismiss everything by them :p

Although Lufia II, Valkyrie Profile and Grandia are all excellent games, some of my favorites of all time. I got annoyed with BOF:DQ - got to a room right in the beginning with a million bats flying around, got my ass kicked, restarted using the SOL system, played again and died in that room. The third time I died in that room, I'm like "fuck this" and I started playing Atelier Iris. Maybe I'll go back to BOF:DQ later...

And back to the original topic: Chrono Trigger was great, although many of my friends are convinced its the best game ever (even the non RPG fans), I wouldn't quite go that far.... It holds up much better than Cross. I liked CTs music 100000x more than Cross (I don't like celtic music at all and Cross had a ton of this). Cross had a fairly interesting battle system but the whole micromanagement with the Elements and the 40+ party members got way out of hand. Cross also felt like a shell of a game, like I was just being pulled from area to area with little threads of cohesion between them. The finding 6 dragons quest is so blatantly 8bit, and the way it attempts to tie into CT is awkward and confusing at best.

Zeo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
CC looks phenomenal on ePSXe (PSX emulator). I tried to play CT but couldn't stand the ugly 2d graphics and the midi soundtrack.

Ugh, absolutely horrible. Let me guess, PlayStation was your first system? No one who grew up with NES, SNES, Genesis, whatever would be able to say that. Of course if you did, then you really suck.

I get the feeling most people who say Chrono Cross played it before Chrono Trigger. Just a hunch.

And you know, I thought such blatant trolling was, you know, not allowed. You know, that little "Terms of Service" link up there? Christ.

On that note, Chrono Trigger = better. End.

The best one is Chrono Trigger.

But just to troll like Dragona, I'll submit THIS game!

GA-SkiesOfArcadia-01.jpg

Top Bottom