• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you’re Sony... what do you do now in response?

FunkMiller

At this stage we’re had:

Both consoles revealed.

An average Sony show in June, with not much gameplay.

A weak Xbox show in July, with even less gameplay - other than poor old Craig.

So, what’s Sony’s next step?

On the one hand, Microsoft haven’t come out all guns blazing, so there’s no need to panic. But on the other, it’s not like Sony have really wowed us all as yet either, have they?

I think they still need State Of Play to be VERY strong in August. The danger for Sony isn’t so much that people might buy the Xbox instead, it’s that they might chose to buy NOTHING. That means Sony has to clearly state the Ps5’s value proposition... and that means some big reveals. And also price and release date. It’s time to lay their cards on the table.

Have posted this elsewhere, but here’s the kind of thing I think they need to produce at State Of Play to get people to buy the Ps5 on release:

Horizon Forbidden West gameplay
Spider-man Miles Morales gameplay
Demon’s Souls gameplay
New IP reveal trailer
Huge IP reveal trailer (GoW, Uncharted, From Software etc.)
Price
Release date
Pre-order

...yes, Microsoft are allowing them to relax a little in terms of the competition, but Sony can’t get lazy now. People don’t have to buy anything.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Following up with the Xbox showing I think Sony should show extended gameplay for either Spider-man Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West or both and announce 2 more exclusives preferably God of War Ragnorak and Silent Hill

Sit back a bask in the glory? Traditionally that is what they have done. But if I am them I keep capitalizing on the hype. THe GoW reveal will be huge for them. Showing actual gameplay will have to happen sooner or later though.

But price? Nah. I think both they and MS are waiting until the last possible minute for that. We might not get price until September or October.

REDRZA MWS

cfp22am.jpg

FunkMiller

In response? I laugh, lay my legs on the table and wait for money knocking at my doorstep. Maybe cancel all planned marketing to save some money.

Laugh all the way to the bank?

See, I don’t think they can do that. Like I say, it’s not so much about people going for Xbox over PlayStation, it’s about them not going for either, if the value proposition isn’t there. And I don’t think Sony have proved there’s just yet...

Last edited:
See, I don’t think they can do that. Like I say, it’s not so much about people going for Xbox over PlayStation, it’s about them not going for either, if the value proposition isn’t there. And I don’t think Sony have proved there’s just yet...

Might be true for the launch window. But everyone interested in consoles will buy a PS5 at some point in the next 7-8 years if it all continues like it looks to do now.

cormack12

Gold Member
State of play in August will drop a few surprises I guess. Sony need to show their confident. This means giving us the promised teardown and also announcing price imo.

They need to show what's there at launch as well, and gameplay from those games. Actual gameplay like the Infinite demo.

Bartski

Gold Member
I call this will be a backwards compatibility centered event with all the "HD" versions on display, TLOU2, GoT and more, + UI in action, system features.
Not expecting the Bloodborne Remaster bombshell since rumors it's in the works at QLOC were debunked, more like a one-more-thing reveal teaser of God of War 2 or Silent Hill caliber to close the show.

Schmick

Couple of things Sony will probably be looking out for

1. Xbox Series S and its price
2. Xbox Live Gold - whats the deal with that. Is MP going free?

Probably going to have to wait till August to find out.

Last edited:

Aion002

Make an event of whats to come in the first year and in the next 3 years.

Show cg's if needed, but just show it that they have much more in store combined with long gameplays of launch window titles.

Last edited:

Redlight

So, what’s Sony’s next step?

It's a good point. I suspect that there will be more reveals from both companies, however the only thing they'll be sweating on at this stage is price. How long can they wait? How low can they go? Interesting time ahead.

Couple of things Sony will probably be looking out for

1. Xbox Series S and its price
2. Xbox Live Gold - whats the deal with that. Is MP going free?

Probably going to have to wait till August to find out.
Is there even TIME for a Series S reveal? Are we sure it still exists, or is its hypothetical existence the last great hope the fanbase has?

What is even the point of Series S right now when there wouldn't be any proper next gen 1st party games for 2 years? The customer is better off buying a 1S, which is still in production.

Mista

Banned
It's a good point. I suspect that there will be more reveals from both companies, however the only thing they'll be sweating on at this stage is price. How long can they wait? How low can they go? Interesting time ahead.
I still believe that both Sony and MS will sell their consoles with a loss or whatever the right term is.
Horizon and Spider Man gameplay to curb stomp MS's showing of Infinite. God I am so pissed.
I feel your frustration. Trust me, as a Halo veteran that grew up with this game. I know the pain.

Last edited:

Schmick

Is there even TIME for a Series S reveal? Are we sure it still exists, or is its hypothetical existence the last great hope the fanbase has?

What is even the point of Series S right now when there wouldn't be any proper next gen 1st party games for 2 years? The customer is better off buying a 1S, which is still in production.
Who knows but in my opinion the point of the Series S is to first to cover the now discontinued Xbox One and secondly, cater for the FIFA/CoD/Fortnite/Minecraft players

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

I still believe that both Sony and MS will sell their consoles with a loss or whatever the right term is.

I feel your frustration. Trust me, as a Halo veteran that grew up with this game. I know the pain.
Been playing since I was 17 and OG XBox came out. Read a lot of the expanded universe and gave 343i benefit of the doubt with Halo 4 and some leeway on Halo 5. This has been like watching a beloved family pet die a slow, painful death.

FunkMiller

This one would be the showstopper, but not sure Cory and gang are far enough along to reveal it as yet. Game is still 2.5 years off. Silent Hill feels a little more likely... and maybe that a Uncharted game from the new secret studio.

Who knows but in my opinion the point of the Series S is to first to cover the now discontinued Xbox One and secondly, cater for the FIFA/CoD/Fortnite/Minecraft players
Officially the 1S is still being made. Not saying MS wouldn't kill it, there was certainly historical precedence for it. But for now 1S is being sold.

Been playing since I was 17 and OG XBox came out. Read a lot of the expanded universe and gave 343i benefit of the doubt with Halo 4 and some leeway on Halo 5. This has been like watching a beloved family pet die a slow, painful death.
Good news is that MS will never let Halo die. As a valuable IP, it would not be put to pasture. Whether what they do with Halo would be to your liking is, of course, another matter.

FunkMiller

Outline boost mode - Bloodborne patch for PS5 60fps.
Silent Hill Reveal
TLOU2 Factions / Factions 2
Teaser for a new Kojima game
Demons Souls - February / March launch date

Buy Kadokawa (same price as Leyou) and therefore now own From....

Has it been confirmed for this window? Because I could honestly see it being a launch title, given that Bluepoint have been on it for a very long time, and it’s a remake.

show why your first 2 years wont suck like the last 2 generations did

should expand before i get jumped on
the first 2 years of the last 2 ps consoles have been sparce with indies as padding...what sony have shown so far looks to be the same....they cant afford to do this

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I don't understand why they still insist on giving the franchise to 343

I mean they had two previous chances before and they failed

Tschumi

You know what? I'm gonna say it.

They don't have to do a damn thing they haven't already done.

And you know what? I'm not surprised, and neither should you be. This is a colossally wealthy and successful company, with a huge and well earned fanbase, with a string of gigaton hits released in the latest few years.

They are not. chumps.

They were deliberate in their decision to not release any footage for months after the Deep Dive video. They knew what they were doing - there was no shitty marketing involved, no idiocy. They knew that word of mouth would carry them further than xBox could possibly achieve.

There is nothing we gaming forumgoers can possibly say to educate Sony on how to roll out the PS5. Or Microsoft for that matter (at least, in theory, but then again, in theory the POTUS is competent)

This is surely now established: PS5 and XSX are not direct competitors. XSX was a direct competitor, a few years ago when they started on it and they made their targets for power and performance, but these days it's been watered down to fit into their wack business model of making sure as big a pool of fans can buy their games as possible. PS5 = the next generation in computer gaming consoles, to be challenged only by whatever Nintendo next puts out - in sales figures, at least. XSX = A cog in Microsoft's desire to turn all of it's franchises into some version of a Fortnight or Overwatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of a show, after the credits.
Or at the start of a show as a small font fast scrolling note at the bottom.
I guess what i really meant, is that MS need to start make the damn things by now. And I really don't think it is possible for Series S to stay a secret once mass production began. So why have we not seen the real deal yet?

Last edited:

Redlight

I really don't give a stuff about Halo to be honest, loved the grass in the first one (seemed amazing then, it's shit now), I hated the flood. I thought Halo 2 was a disaster and quite enjoyed Halo 3 (especially the multiplayer).

Since then? Not really interested.

However fanboy exaggeration and overreaction really does get right up my nose.

Truth be told I'm much more hyped for Far Cry 6 than any of the exclusive games offered by either console. Let me see who does that best.

Top Bottom