• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you’re Sony... what do you do now in response?

BootsLoader

Banned
On the one hand, Microsoft haven’t come out all guns blazing, so there’s no need to panic. But on the other, it’s not like Sony have really wowed us all as yet either, have they?
So nobody came with guns blazing, so there’s no need for this thread right?

I highly doubt that, I actually think there is going to be a huge wave of new Xbox gamers that transition from the PS4, the value preposition is just too enticing considering the majority of gamers are casuals, them knowing their CoD's and FIFA's will be best played on Xbox and the fact that they can have a huge catalogue of games for a pittance is too good of a deal to pass on for your average gamer.
I think PC gamers might be a little offended by the notion that MS came and blessed them with "Proper titles" unless you meant tiles which I dont know what the fuck you're talking about.

mcjmetroid

Sony just keep on their usual course.
I doubt they see Microsoft as too much of a challenge this far in terms of console sales.

Male no mistake the ps5 is gonna sell more consoles...

BUT I do believe Microsoft are going to do much better this generation. The gamepass really is a powerful tool if they can market it right.

If i was Sony i wouldn't cost or sit back, that cost them dearly in the past.

I would ramp it up, show some gameplay off, show off the menu and UI, show some games that are coming out, what their 1st party studios are working on AND, i would show something, a sneak peak or teaser for PSVR2 or what the benefits will be to PSVR1

VR is the main and only real difference between these consoles. VR is a future of gaming, Sony should keep the momentum up and drag in as many people as they can.
I'd say VR is another feather in the cap. Remember they also will leave bitches behind unlike captain save a gamer.

Bryank75

Banned
The way square is handling The Avengers
And MS going GP, I see alot more Marvel properties going to Sony. Give me a Gambit game and that's me calling it quits, I've lived the best life.
Yes, Gambit needs some love. He didn't even appear properly in a film. Great character too...

Wireless VR is the absolute game changer with this.

I can't wait for RE8 to play on my PSVR.
I agree but no fucking way am i playing a horror game in VR. i just about shat my pants playing Alien isolation for 15 minutes.

Yeah, VR is a game changer and wireless VR would be mental. I can't wait to see what they can do with a proper VR budget

I'd say VR is another feather in the cap. Remember they also will leave bitches behind unlike captain save a gamer.
It's a big feather as PSVR is the only place to play VR on consoles. If i were Sony, i would be pushing it to be the best place to play VR across the industry.

There was a thread/post knocking about on here last week where a game (it could have been NMS?) used a trick/emulator, to make the game work properly in VR. If Sony could use that tech to make their BC games VR compatible, then...whooo

Yes, Gambit needs some love. He didn't even appear properly in a film. Great character too...

1oqQ7As.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
I will wait for Microsoft to reveal the price first, because no matter how many fan(boy)s i have, the launch price is a critical point that can change everything and i want to undercut it or at least have the same price. Also i will add a game or 3 month PS Now to every console to counter Game Pass.

It's a big feather as PSVR is the only place to play VR on consoles. If i were Sony, i would be pushing it to be the best place to play VR across the industry.

There was a thread/post knocking about on here last week where a game (it could have been NMS?) used a trick/emulator, to make the game work properly in VR. If Sony could use that tech to make their BC games VR compatible, then...whooo
If my shitty,adorable, assholish, sweet, dickish cat hadn't chewed up the most important cords on my headset I'd be playing it way to much. VR is the real deal and I can't wait for the next iteration. VR portal hopping with ratchet would be sublime.

Bryank75

Banned

I'm actually waiting on PSVR2 to pull the trigger on a load of games..... Pistol Whip, Tetris Effect, Astrobot, Beat Saber, Blood and Truth, Moss and a few others...

tryDEATH

I agree with most of what you say here...they are on divergent paths. However the 'pro-consumer' bit I think is a matter of perspective, as a consumer I want options of physical and collectors editions and I want full ownership of my games, so Sony's strategy is exactly what I want and I find it pro-consumer.

While others may not value ownership but experiences more and be looking for the best deal they can find. Then they may gravitate towards xbox.

Options are pro-consumer in other-words...

Yeah the physical copy gamers are shrinking and we are seeing more and more companies report that their game sales are shifting towards digital, I believe Ubisoft said 60% of their games are digital sales and growing.

We also have Sony acknowledging that shift as well with their PS5 Digital console, which certainly indicates that the industry is head that and we are on the cusp of it with Xbox pushing it to the forefront of their eco-system.

Azurro

Banned
Sony's presentation was so much better received and displayed what a next gen title looks like, so I don't think they need to change anything in their plans, especially not show games too far in the future that are just a logo, like MS. Just show more gameplay and details of the games that are already announced.

turtlepowa

Banned

I really like VR, but it's a niche. Not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought it. Personally i'm definately going for PSVR2, but i don't think it will be a huge success. It's just too expensive for many gamers.

Yeah the physical copy gamers are shrinking and we are seeing more and more companies report that their game sales are shifting towards digital, I believe Ubisoft said 60% of their games are digital sales and growing.

We also have Sony acknowledging that shift as well with their PS5 Digital console, which certainly indicates that the industry is head that and we are on the cusp of it with Xbox pushing it to the forefront of their eco-system.
You do realize that's because they see the trend of digital purchasing and not giving people direct to TV gaming?

Bryank75

Banned

Yes but I think we need physical in the longterm... it would be a shame to shut down the infrastructure, production and sales channels only to realize you need them because the internet isn't up to the task.

Kokoloko85

If Sony want me to consider a PS5 then they need to:

1. Announce more exclusives - there are currently only 2 exclusives on PS5 that interest me vs the 8 on Series X
2. Sell at a lower price than Xbox - if i'm to buy a console for just a few exclusives then i don't want to pay much especially if it's weaker hardware.
3. Better backwards compatibility - we don't even know how well PS4 will be supported. If they can sneak in support for PS1/PS2/PS3 then that'd be great so I could retire my PS2 finally. Series X will play games from every Xbox generation.

Those are the things I'm looking for from Sony. Right now I'm ready to ditch Playstation and move to Xbox. If Sony want my money then they need to do better.

I doubt your gonna be convinced dude.

If you have 8 exclusives with the Xbox then go that route.
I’ll probably buy an xbox after a few years just for Halo, both of obsedian’s games, Sea of thieves, Ori, Retire my og xbox and 360 With bc. Fable etc And anything else decent at that time.

Does it Play Jet Set Radio Future though?

PS4 will be supported. 100 of the top games will have boost mode. And more after.

If my shitty,adorable, assholish, sweet, dickish cat hadn't chewed up the most important cords on my headset I'd be playing it way to much. VR is the real deal and I can't wait for the next iteration. VR portal hopping with ratchet would be sublime.

PSVR was a good demo but it really shows its' flaws nowadays. Still, it's impressive that they managed the level of quality they did with no budget and using spare parts they had laying around a warehouse
I'm actually waiting on PSVR2 to pull the trigger on a load of games..... Pistol Whip, Tetris Effect, Astrobot, Beat Saber, Blood and Truth, Moss and a few others...

Me2
I really like VR, but it's a niche. Not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought it. Personally i'm definately going for PSVR2, but i don't think it will be a huge success. It's just too expensive for many gamers.
VR is the hardest thing to market to people because you have to try it to believe it.

I've never met anyone or either gender, or any age, who was tried proper VR and not been totally blown away by it.

I want the next Elder scrolls on PSVR2

tryDEATH

I think PC gamers might be a little offended by the notion that MS came and blessed them with "Proper titles" unless you meant tiles which I dont know what the fuck you're talking about.

No one said blessed them, but they are benefiting from MS's investment into those games, that then will also be playable on PC where before they probably wouldn't have, certainly not the volume that they are going to be getting next generation.

Tulipanzo

I think MS is in kind of a bad spot, marketing wise.
Sony has shown they can generate huge levels of attention via posts and tweets dropped seemingly at random.
The issue is at this point, we know pretty much everything about XBox, yet we still have a lot to cover for PS5.

PS5 still has to show:
- UI
- Console teardown
- Back compat for PS4 (and beyond?)
- What the Create Button does
- Changes to PS+/PSNow
- More games
- Price
By comparison, XBox is only missing the price. They also have to start justifying the Lockhart to people, which is sure to take up the last months of marketing.

In hindsight, starting marketing so early utterly backfired for MS-

tryDEATH

You do realize that's because they see the trend of digital purchasing and not giving people direct to TV gaming?

Its digital non-the-less the concern everyone has with GamePass and Digital is the fact that you don't have "ownership" of your purchase, which would be case with the PS5 digital console as well as GamePass or any other online digital platform, where the loss of your account wipes your library.

PSVR was a good demo but it really shows its' flaws nowadays. Still, it's impressive that they managed the level of quality they did with no budget and using spare parts they had laying around a warehouse

Me2

VR is the hardest thing to market to people because you have to try it to believe it.

I've never met anyone or either gender, or any age, who was tried proper VR and not been totally blown away by it.

I want the next Elder scrolls on PSVR2
It was most definitely a demo and it shows, but the limited time my cat let me enjoy it, I really enjoyed it. Beat Sabre, Astro bot, Walking Dead, Thumper and more I'm sure you could name really let me know how good it could be with the proper hardware. Fingers crossed for a cleaner image.

On Demand

Banned
The perception and excitement for PS5 is night and day compared SX. I think Sony is doing everything right so far. The August show with more games and UI reveal will bolster the PS5 mindshare more so.

Its digital non-the-less the concern everyone has with GamePass and Digital is the fact that you don't have "ownership" of your purchase, which would be case with the PS5 digital console as well as GamePass or any other online digital platform, where the loss of your account wipes your library.
I have a problem with The Wrong Missy being the standard. Have I told you about Halo Infinite? As good as the game is Ori might be the new normal.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nothing..

The biggest mistake you can make, is trying to compete directly like that.

Bring your guns to the broad environment, and let Microsoft do the following.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Agent X

VR is the main and only real difference between these consoles. VR is a future of gaming, Sony should keep the momentum up and drag in as many people as they can.

Good point, although I don't know if they'll emphasize VR on PS5 this year. While VR is an advantage for Sony, it probably won't get much more than a passing mention in the lead-up to launch. They don't need to confuse the message by trying to promote an expensive add-on for an expensive system at this time.

Last edited:
Good point, although I don't know if they'll emphasize VR on PS5 this year. While VR i an advantage for Sony, it probably won't get much more than a passing mention in the lead-up to launch. They don't need to confuse the message by trying to promote an expensive add-on for an expensive system at this time.
As much as i want to see it now, i don't think PSVR2 will be talked about until late next year, with maybe a 2022 launch. It's a shame

They go even huuuger bro, Horizon Zero Dawn....Remastered! I mean, how else do you top Spider-Man 2.5, Dark Demon Souls, Ratcher Clank 8 and Resident Evil 9 (12?)??? F*ck quantum computing...give us infinite IP iterations I say FTW

Hunnybun

show why your first 2 years wont suck like the last 2 generations did

should expand before i get jumped on
the first 2 years of the last 2 ps consoles have been sparce with indies as padding...what sony have shown so far looks to be the same....they cant afford to do this

How does it look the same??

They revealed 8 first party games that look like they'll be released in the first year, or first 2 years at the absolute most.

That's great.

ElCasual

Do the Seppuku and announce the price of 400 dls for the normal edition and 350 for the digital. Show the next games even if they are in beta Gameplay.

magaman

Banned
Lmfao. "What do you do now"?

Microsoft just shat the bad in terrific fashion. Sony are celebrating. They don't have to do anything right now.

VR is great because of the scale of everything and how it tricks your head in to thinking it is somewhere else, even though it knows it's sat in a room
VR got my girl into gaming.........somewhat. she was trying to platinum Astrobot for me and she loved Beat sabre. The package cant come soon enough, even though I know PSVR wont be announced til after the console drops. Hope for some MP games as well.

JonnyMP3

If Sony want me to consider a PS5 then they need to:

1. Announce more exclusives - there are currently only 2 exclusives on PS5 that interest me vs the 8 on Series X
2. Sell at a lower price than Xbox - if i'm to buy a console for just a few exclusives then i don't want to pay much especially if it's weaker hardware.
3. Better backwards compatibility - we don't even know how well PS4 will be supported. If they can sneak in support for PS1/PS2/PS3 then that'd be great so I could retire my PS2 finally. Series X will play games from every Xbox generation.

Those are the things I'm looking for from Sony. Right now I'm ready to ditch Playstation and move to Xbox. If Sony want my money then they need to do better.
Or you and everyone else talking about changing sides should maybe just go ahead and buy the Xbox like an actual rational adult, instead of making a big fucking deal about Sony losing any of your custom that they probably never had from you anyways, as if anyone with an actual level of maturity cares enough to replace the neglect you had in your childhood.

People that want an Xbox Series X? Go buy one!
Those that want a PS5? That's your choice.
Those that need someone else's opinion or marketing or something to justify the purchase of a machine that plays games as some sort of metric of success... Grow up!

tryDEATH

I have a problem with The Wrong Missy being the standard. Have I told you about Halo Infinite? As good as the game is Ori might be the new normal.

You're basing your whole opinion about all that Xbox has to offer, on one screen cap of a game still in development. If that isn't disingenuous and biased, I don't know what is. With those sort of opinions there really isn't anything else to discuss since you have made it abundantly clear your irrationally biased.

Enjoy your day.

supernova8

Banned
If I were Sony (psst don't ever hire me, I'll bankrupt your company):

(1) I would go on a marketing onslaught with messaging along the lines of:
- "Playstation 5 is the only place to experience true next-generation games"
- "All of your PS4 games will work flawlessly, but we want you experience true next-gen gaming with the power of Playstation 5"
- "We hope you have had an amazing 7 years with Playstation 4. Now, we're pushing our developers and partners to unleash the power of Playstation 5"

(2) Announce the price (at this point they can go with $499 and it won't matter) with the inclusion of one game (Playstation store) download free for all purchases in the first 6 months.

(3) Put up an unboxing video, featuring Mark Cerny and Shuhei Yoshida. Show everyone exactly what will come in the box and make it fun but professional-looking.

(4) Put up a teaser video for the future of Playstation VR, and set up some sort of registration system where anyone who buys a PS5 in the first 12 months will get $100 off PSVR when it comes out.

I think if they can really pummel Microsoft at the very start, Xbox will not be able to recover. By the time Xbox comes out with their actual next-gen stuff, Sony's lead will be so great that it'll be impossible to overturn.

You're basing your whole opinion about all that Xbox has to offer, on one screen cap of a game still in development. If that isn't disingenuous and biased, I don't know what is. With those sort of opinions there really isn't anything else to discuss since you have made it abundantly clear your irrationally biased.

Enjoy your day.
Saying bias as you tell me what I base my opinion on while standing for a game that's obviously subpar graphically while strawman are weaved with talks of a screen cap I never brought up using the "IN DEVELOPMENT " line as if upcoming game aren't that while looking better. What is your argument. I say games on GP will be budget. The size of the the budget who know. I know ain't non of em gonna be another 500mil.

I say hood day sir.

After Microsoft disaster?

Pretty sure corona cases went up in Tokyo because Sony head quarter are all out doing some 飲み放題 at an 居酒屋 celebrating until next next gen.

飲み放題: all you can drink (mostly are 3 to 5 hours)
居酒屋: kinda drinking japanese bar

GrayFoxPL

I'd terrorize Namco for:

New Tekken
New Ridge Racer
New Klonoa
Ports of their 3d arcade games like Dirt Dash

Then I'd terrorize Sega for:

New Virtua Fighter
New Sega Rally
New Jet Grind Radio
Ports of their 3d arcade games like Spike Out

Bkdk

Continue to bring games to pc, also release mod tools for the games that has pc version. Perhaps PlayStation game pass for pc would be great.

WellSheet

I agree with most of what you say here...they are on divergent paths. However the 'pro-consumer' bit I think is a matter of perspective, as a consumer I want options of physical and collectors editions and I want full ownership of my games, so Sony's strategy is exactly what I want and I find it pro-consumer.

While others may not value ownership but experiences more and be looking for the best deal they can find. Then they may gravitate towards xbox.

Options are pro-consumer in other-words...

This is a great counter-point to the statement that implies Microsoft’s approach is wholly pro-consumer and Sony’s isn’t.

I think also, as an asterisk onto this point, one should remember that the platforms aren’t coming to your house and forcing you to buy them. Sony has the confidence to say, “ we’re going to give you games like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted” and we’re going to make deals to deliver 2nd part or 3rd party exclusives like Nioh, Bloodborne, Persona Until Dawn, The Order 1886, Concrete Genie, Final Fantasy 7, Death Stranding”..”we have quality games you can’t get anywhere else or can get here first and we believe they are worth your money upfront, not through a service/subscription. It equals
Out...to me it’s two different ways of achieving profit and results. I think Sony’s way of doing it puts the onus on the consumer and their choices; Microsoft’s gives them a buffet, but it doesn’t mean we’re being delivered the same high bar that Sony has.

WellSheet

Fuckin’ cats man.

NahaNago

They just need a state of play that shows gameplay for the games coming out at launch. I'd have 2 more game reveals during the state of play. At then end of the year I'd do another major show.

Agent X

I think more Xbox fans will move to PS5 than the other way around. The thirst is for groundbreaking next gen experiences, not value propositions. The bargain hunters will just stay on Xbox One, gamers will go where the excitement lies.

Good point. If Xbox Series X isn't going to give them any new games (that they couldn't already get otherwise), then they're more likely to jump to another system that does.

I highly doubt that, I actually think there is going to be a huge wave of new Xbox gamers that transition from the PS4, the value preposition is just too enticing considering the majority of gamers are casuals, them knowing their CoD's and FIFA's will be best played on Xbox

They can play also their CoD and FIFA games on PS5, and it will still be a jump up from PS4. The difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X will be negligible; certainly not worth leaving Sony's first-party portfolio behind in the trade.

and the fact that they can have a huge catalogue of games for a pittance is too good of a deal to pass on for your average gamer.

They can get that right now with either PS4 or Xbox One. Those users don't need an expensive new system to get that privilege, particularly when the service on new system isn't even promising any different games than they would by sticking with their old system.

Top Bottom