• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you’re Sony... what do you do now in response?

Mista

Banned
Show us more of this beauty.

49996318291_92a5347792_4k.jpg

49996316286_a576700e7a_4k.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker-10e4098bb2dfa6ed77.gif

spider-man-miles-morales-ps5.jpg

Show a cutscene and an 8min gameplay reveal of this 🔥🔥🔥
Damn those screenshots looks juicy!

I'm currently in the fence between purchasing a PS5 or a series 30 GPU - leaning towards GPU. It can change if Sony wows me in August though. Microsoft dropped the ball with their showing, so this is their time to shine.

tryDEATH

How long will the budgets for these games be AAA? And will they even actually be that when they when/if they release? Fable already had a canceled game so this new one is getting released regardless of quality. MS seems to be ready to take the filler role in giving people easily digestible content while others give them the "Event" games that most people want.

The more GamePass subscribers the large the budgets for those AAA games. The financials behind subscriptions amount to an insane amount of money. Xbox can easily make $50Mil+ a month with the current subscription base and can grow to over $100Mil a month in no time with the launch of next generation. With that sort of of income, they can basically finance a AAA game every 2 months, money will not be a problem for Xbox.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nothing besides the hardware tear down. Thy been on cruise control. Show God of War trailer in sept/Oct just to treat fans and get us in a frenzy bcus we know the shit gonna be insane!!!!

And bitch give me my Resistance! Resistance 3 campaign was the best fps campaign I ever played, shit was sublime.

Last edited:

Schmick

The Xbox One S isn't discontinued. The Xbox One X is. Think about that one.

The Series S they are not announcing until Sony announce a PS5 price. It's what they are going to use to undercut Sony and sell subscriptions with.
Not the Series X, the Series X they will market as 'premium' it will have xbox elite controller pricing, extortianate and for profit. The fans will buy it up.
Hang on! So all of a sudden Xbox Series X will be priced higher than the PS5!? This is news to me. The narrative keeps changing! Hard to keep up.

I dont think the Xbox Series X will any higher than £500.

I stand corrected about the Xbox One S however it doesn't really change my opinion.

The more GamePass subscribers the large the budgets for those AAA games. The financials behind subscriptions amount to an insane amount of money. Xbox can easily make $50Mil+ a month with the current subscription base and can grow to over $100Mil a month in no time with the launch of next generation. With that sort of of income, they can basically finance a AAA game every 2 months, money will not be a problem for Xbox.
You do realize they have to pay all the third parties to even opt in, not counting any other fees incurred from marketing? Then they have budgets for their own games plus keeping services maintained while making sure Xcloud is in tippy tippy shape? Do I need to bring up manufacturing cost, self marketing to fight competition, conference in countries that didn't fuck there selves over? I see debt in the future.

Who remembers Sega.net?

INC

sony need a big shooter showing

be that next cod, or BF

or one of their own IP or other studio shooters

wheres my destructions and hit physics trailer, like kz2 did back in the day

Personally?

I would show off the PS5 UI / Features / Some form of BC and that’s it.

There is nooooooo point in showing off more games at this stage as MS has almost nothing on that front that is worthy.

Sony probably held back some bits to respond to MS’s event which was quite frankly a bust. They have no need to show anymore games at this stage and may as well wait and get them more polished / use the reveals when they need them.

MS’s trump card for Series X was Halo. Now with that shown they have become a laughing stock, Sony must be very, very happy right now 😂

DavidGzz

Tired of the professional shit with trailers and suits talking to me. Have some random YouTuber who isn't hard to listen to show us some game play of launch games and BC games while talking about the enhancements and how the motion sense controller feels. Tell us how quiet the console is, show how fast the loading is, the dashboard, etc. Impressions from a real gamer. It will never happen but that's my answer.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS

be that next cod, or BF

Looking at both "conferences" I'd think it be a waste. Every 3rd party studio makes these games. Why not fill the voids? The things your asking for could be achieved in a multitude of various genres.

tryDEATH

You do realize they have to pay all the third parties to even opt in, not counting any other fees incurred from marketing? Then they have budgets for their own games plus keeping services maintained while making sure Xcloud is in tippy tippy shape? Do I need to bring up manufacturing cost, self marketing to fight competition, conference in countries that didn't fuck there selves over? I see debt in the future.

Who remembers Sega.net?

I realize that, but do you realize that GamePass has been around now for over 3 years and has been a undeniable hit and that with these new announcements it will only grow larger bringing in more money. You're framing it like this is just some sort of new service that is being implemented for the Series X and not one that has been perfect by now.

Manufacturing costs, marketing, conferences and all the other things you mention are standard for new console releases and is nothing new so that has been long accounted for. Plus Xbox is being backed by MS at the end of the day anyway, so your concerns might just be misplaced and unnecessary.

Mobilemofo

I just want a fuckin price at this point. I mean, we're almost in August. We know pretty much everything hardware wise, what we can expect, blah blah. Months away from the drop.. No pre orders yet.. C'mon Sony. Ffs..

Vaelka

Make a first party game that doesn't follow the tired Sony formula?
I dunno why people seem almost oblivious to this, but almost all of their games ( minus Naughty Dog? Not as open world but a little ) are samey.
They're basically Assassins Creed games to different exents, they function more or less the same, tacked on RPG elements, heavy story focus, open world, 3rd person, photorealistic graphics etc.
I dunno how people can essentially play the same game over and over again with a different coat of paint and not notice.
Their first party games are so repetitive, do something different please.

I realize that, but do you realize that GamePass has been around now for over 3 years and has been a undeniable hit and that with these new announcements it will only grow larger bringing in more money. You're framing it like this is just some sort of new service that is being implemented for the Series X and not one that has been perfect by now.

Manufacturing costs, marketing, conferences and all the other things you mention are standard for new console releases and is nothing new so that has been long accounted for. Plus Xbox is being backed by MS at the end of the day anyway, so your concerns might just be misplaced and unnecessary.
Everything your saying sounds like I should just except that Gamepass will always be a success. It's doing quite fine now, while they give it away. Being backed by MS means fuck all to me when I know they give money to the money maker not the squeaky wheel. This all feels like spaghetti to me.

Agent X

You know what? I'm gonna say it.

They don't have to do a damn thing they haven't already done.

And you know what? I'm not surprised, and neither should you be. This is a colossally wealthy and successful company, with a huge and well earned fanbase, with a string of gigaton hits released in the latest few years.

Well, I don't have the inside track on what Sony's lead-up to launch day entails, but as I said earlier, this would be the opportunity for them to put their best foot forward with confidence.

Microsoft had a huge opportunity a few days ago to define the next generation of video games, and (IMO) failed to do that.

This is Sony's time to shine, and they'd better make the most of it. For them to do so means they would have to reveal critical details at the next event. They can't just coast along on cruise control now--they need to to ratchet it up to the next level. If they manage this, then they'll take the undisputed leadership position in defining the next generation.

This is surely now established: PS5 and XSX are not direct competitors. XSX was a direct competitor, a few years ago when they started on it and they made their targets for power and performance, but these days it's been watered down to fit into their wack business model of making sure as big a pool of fans can buy their games as possible. PS5 = the next generation in computer gaming consoles, to be challenged only by whatever Nintendo next puts out - in sales figures, at least. XSX = A cog in Microsoft's desire to turn all of it's franchises into some version of a Fortnight or Overwatch.

Good point.

Announce PlayStation Museum, a rotating collection of first party PS1, PS2 and PS3 classic games with curation. Free for Plus members.

McCheese McCheese , you had a lot of good ideas in your post, but this one in particular is a top-notch suggestion. I really like the "PlayStation Museum" name, too.

They actually did something like this with offering PS1 classics on PS Plus several years ago, but sadly phased it out.

1)All PS1/PS2/PS3 physical games being compatible with PS5 with the most notable ones being graphically enhanced.

Yeah. If they could pull off comprehensive backward compatibility (95% or better, with the few incompatible games gradually being made compatible through patches), then this would be magnificent.

Make a first party game that doesn't follow the tired Sony formula?
I dunno why people seem almost oblivious to this, but almost all of their games ( minus Naughty Dog? Not as open world but a little ) are samey.
They're basically Assassins Creed games to different exents, they function more or less the same, tacked on RPG elements, heavy story focus, open world, 3rd person, photorealistic graphics etc.
I dunno how people can essentially play the same game over and over again with a different coat of paint and not notice.
Their first party games are so repetitive, do something different please.
Now tell me how they actually play the same......GO! I'll give you one thing though, tall grass is a constant. I always felt how I exit said grass was drastically different, but do tell.

Hang on! So all of a sudden Xbox Series X will be priced higher than the PS5!? This is news to me. The narrative keeps changing! Hard to keep up.

I think it's the speculation over what the DE will cost. Many people pin it as being cheaper than the XSX while the Disk version will price match it.

That's the only way I can see that happening to be honest but if the rumors of Sony upping production due to lower production costs are true then the disk version could undercut the XSX in theory. But I doubt Microsoft will allow that to happen.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

be that next cod, or BF

Why I was hoping the Bethesda acquisition rumours were true.. Doom would be a great exclusive shooter. Plus ESO and normal Elder Scrolls would be great additions...

MrS

Banned
I'd love to see a roundtable with Barlog, Hulst, whomever runs Guerrilla, Druckmann, the director of Days Gone, Nate Fox and the head of Insomniac talking about how the PS5 is gonna change the game for them in terms of game dev. Would be very interesting.

tryDEATH

Everything your saying sounds like I should just except that Gamepass will always be a success. It's doing quite fine now, while they give it away. Being backed by MS means fuck all to me when I know they give money to the money maker not the squeaky wheel. This all feels like spaghetti to me.

Well its been a huge success for 3 years now and that was with out the huge catalog of games that MS just announced to be coming to GamePass. A majority of those games will also be available on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC with the for-mentioned 2 being guaranteed platforms that will be supported through out next generation. So with a larger install base and an enticing product line up there doesn't seem to be any proof or indication that GamePass will somehow fall off, but instead only grow and become better and more profitable.

yurinka

I think that if they just sit and wait will be already very successful, they already have a big advantage over MS, to the point that I think they can save the reveal of GoW2, the first game of the new San Diego Studio (Uncharted 5?), the next Kojima game, TLOU2 factions or the next big Sony Japan game (Silent Hill? Bloodborne 2? New IP? iKnack: Triforce Snack?) for next year or even beyond. Same goes with showing Horizon 2 gameplay, I think they'll wait until next year.

But I assume that in late August (Gamescom dates?) or early September once people like gaming media comes back from vacations they should make a 4K60fps video -please stop using these shitty Youtube reveal 1080p awfully compressed streams- showing:

1) List the PS5 release day games line-up and show gameplay of most popular ones -specially SpiderMan: Miles Morales- in addition to other PS5 2020 cool games
2) Reveal remaining minor details like cool OS features (loading a specific game mode or stage directly from the OS UI skipping game menus and logos? user made shareable demos?), Bluetooth/wifi supported specs, Remote Play/BC/PS Now PS5 plans, etc
3) Price and release date
4) Open pre-orders

The facts are,

if Sony can get the PS5 out for about $429 with some kind of Fornight, FIFA / COD marketing deal & Spider-Man and the Series X is $499 or higher, it’s absolutely game over.
I think both PS5 and Series X will release with a $499 price ($449 for discless SKU), and they are going to be already making a big effort selling them at a decent loss. I don't think they will be able to reduce that price.

Last edited:
Apparently you do this.

In all seriousness though, just roll out one or two more big announcements, and def move up the teardown video. The FUD around what's inside their console is ridiculous, but it CAN start to get traction without any sort of official comments. Would be smart to shut that down for good, as well as get some mouths watering with whatever features it may have.

I'd also bring back Legend of Dragoon, but that's just my stance no matter what.

Well its been a huge success for 3 years now and that was with out the huge catalog of games that MS just announced to be coming to GamePass. A majority of those games will also be available on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC with the for-mentioned 2 being guaranteed platforms that will be supported through out next generation. So with a larger install base and an enticing product line up there doesn't seem to be any proof or indication that GamePass will somehow fall off, but instead only grow and become better and more profitable.
What's this larger install base you speak of? All you're doing is hoping for the best and wishing in the other hand. Is GP a bargain at the moment, sure. Let's not take current success as a guarentee for future prospects. I'm sure you love the arrogant sony meme.

WellSheet

I think pricing and release have to happen for both parties at their August showcases.

ESPECIALLY if these machines are 500+ alone...you can’t (or shouldn’t) expect the typical consumer to be capable of dropping 500, plus a game or two...oh and then add plus or live etc... and all within roughly a month’s notice.

For example, I’ve started saving already what I can in preparation for PS5. I think most people can’t just all Willy-nilly be ready to expend that kind of cash with short notice.

Game wise- I think Sony needs to show more gameplay and totally clear up what the launch line up is. Horizon is 2021...Ratchet is too? Miles Morales is our only BIG AAA confirmed launch title from 1st party that I can recall. That may be enough. I know there’s 3rd/2nd party offerings to lean on; Godfall and Death Loop come to mind as exclusives in the launch window.

Shmunter

They're really going to have to make the case and convince people why spending $40 on a next generation Spider-man and $60 on the rest of their games is a better deal than what Xbox is offering with GamePass, which will include all the games MS has showcased thus far, which is around 30 games day 1 on Gamepass for a fraction of the price gamers will have to spend on all the PS games.

Meme's are fun and all, but people trying to pretend and ignore that insane offer that MS is giving to gamers is nothing more that fanboy deflection. The reality is MS presents gamers a much better overall deal from the power of the console to the services, PS simply hasn't matched that deal yet nor do I see them being able to do it, MS strategy is just far superior.

I know many of you guys don't want to hear, but that is the case right now.
I think more Xbox fans will move to PS5 than the other way around. The thirst is for groundbreaking next gen experiences, not value propositions. The bargain hunters will just stay on Xbox One, gamers will go where the excitement lies.

RAIDEN1

You are Sony, now what do you do? Nothing, just sit-tight and enjoy the ride! Its going to take more than Halo Infinite to have them quaking in their boots, that said I wouldn't say another Killzone is the answer, that was just another generic shooter, they might as well have brought back Resistance from the PS3 days..

As corny as this sounds (or reads) this reeks of the MCU vs the DCU. One has a long term plan and the other has a plan......maybe......mic drop?........breakfast........cheap games for cheap. Yeah...that's the ticket.

If i was Sony i wouldn't cost or sit back, that cost them dearly in the past.

I would ramp it up, show some gameplay off, show off the menu and UI, show some games that are coming out, what their 1st party studios are working on AND, i would show something, a sneak peak or teaser for PSVR2 or what the benefits will be to PSVR1

VR is the main and only real difference between these consoles. VR is a future of gaming, Sony should keep the momentum up and drag in as many people as they can.

Bryank75

Banned
As corny as this sounds (or reads) this reeks of the MCU vs the DCU. One has a long term plan and the other has a plan......maybe......mic drop?........breakfast........cheap games for cheap. Yeah...that's the ticket.
Speaking of MCU.... I'd love ND to do a Wolverine / Logan game in TLOU2 engine..... always wanted a proper Wolverine game.
I know they wouldn't cause they have creatives working on IP's but....I can dream!

tryDEATH

What's this larger install base you speak of? All you're doing is hoping for the best and wishing in the other hand. Is GP a bargain at the moment, sure. Let's not take current success as a guarentee for future prospects. I'm sure you love the arrogant sony meme.

The PC gamer is now going to have proper tiles offered to him with GamePass and they are the cheapest gamers out there, since they have so many avenues to get discounted games. So cost proposition wise GamePass for a PC gamer is going to be an immense deal.

My thinking and opinion is based on the proof we have thus far and logical thinking where a better service is going to be growing and be more profitable, you're framing your concern from nothing more that imaginary guess work and hope.

Also this doesn't have anything to do with arrogant Sony, but differing strategy's. Sony is offering you the classical strategy that has been around since console were invented, where as Xbox is going with a new modern and disruptive strategy that is significantly more pro-consumer in an age where everyone is looking for the best deal and where subscriptions are the norm.

Eliciel

State of play in August will drop a few surprises I guess. Sony need to show their confident. This means giving us the promised teardown and also announcing price imo.

They need to show what's there at launch as well, and gameplay from those games. Actual gameplay like the Infinite demo.
Teardown with Cerny! Please!

FunkMiller

The parallels are there, aren't they? One side seems to have a long term, simply strategy that they have stuck to for a long time, while the other keeps course correcting after mistakes and never sets a clear strategy out.

VR is the main and only real difference between these consoles. VR is a future of gaming, Sony should keep the momentum up and drag in as many people as they can.

Wireless VR is the absolute game changer with this.

I can't wait for RE8 to play on my PSVR.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

I think more Xbox fans will move to PS5 than the other way around. The thirst is for groundbreaking next gen experiences, not value propositions. The bargain hunters will just stay on Xbox One, gamers will go where the excitement lies.

I highly doubt that, I actually think there is going to be a huge wave of new Xbox gamers that transition from the PS4, the value preposition is just too enticing considering the majority of gamers are casuals, them knowing their CoD's and FIFA's will be best played on Xbox and the fact that they can have a huge catalogue of games for a pittance is too good of a deal to pass on for your average gamer.

Bryank75

Banned
The PC gamer is now going to have proper tiles offered to him with GamePass and they are the cheapest gamers out there, since they have so many avenues to get discounted games. So cost proposition wise GamePass for a PC gamer is going to be an immense deal.

My thinking and opinion is based on the proof we have thus far and logical thinking where a better service is going to be growing and be more profitable, you're framing your concern from nothing more that imaginary guess work and hope.

Also this doesn't have anything to do with arrogant Sony, but differing strategy's. Sony is offering you the classical strategy that has been around since console were invented, where as Xbox is going with a new modern and disruptive strategy that is significantly more pro-consumer in an age where everyone is looking for the best deal and where subscriptions are the norm.
I agree with most of what you say here...they are on divergent paths. However the 'pro-consumer' bit I think is a matter of perspective, as a consumer I want options of physical and collectors editions and I want full ownership of my games, so Sony's strategy is exactly what I want and I find it pro-consumer.

While others may not value ownership but experiences more and be looking for the best deal they can find. Then they may gravitate towards xbox.

Options are pro-consumer in other-words...

Speaking of MCU.... I'd love ND to do a Wolverine / Logan game in TLOU2 engine..... always wanted a proper Wolverine game.
I know they wouldn't cause they have creatives working on IP's but....I can dream!
The way square is handling The Avengers
And MS going GP, I see alot more Marvel properties going to Sony. Give me a Gambit game and that's me calling it quits, I've lived the best life.

Top Bottom