• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you’re Sony... what do you do now in response?

They don't have to do much at this point, just show off GOW2 with
Thor
and people would lose their mind. It's not like Craig has Sony shaking in their boots.

Last edited:
Fuckin’ cats man.
At least hes cute
W0y0NnA.jpg

truth411

Next they should show:
1.The U.I.
2.PS5 Hardware breakdown + Nvme expansion bay.
3.Pre-Order date, Maybe Price also.
4.Clarity on Backwards Compatibility.
5.Surprise announcement of a PS5 Miles morales holiday bundle.
6.Launch line-up.

Saaleh

Banned
Realistically they can do a lot..

OS demonstration with the new features like fast boot of the os and games. How tlou2/Ghost will be played. BC..

Returnal gameplay
Spider man gameplay
Demons soul gameplay
Horizon gameplay
New launch game announcement
Another huge and exciting next gen game coming at the end of 2021.
price
back buttons or add on to the controlller

recap on what will be released in launch window and 2021 ( kena, ratchet..etc)

Last edited:
Man, how things change in a few months. People were saying Sony needed to do a better job at messaging and PR, but now it's Xbox that needs to do that. Since May, everything has gone downhill for the Xbox team.

IMO Sony just needs to show us gameplay of the launch games, launch window games, and give a price. PS5 will sell itself. No need to be out there, giving interviews to every little podcaster that barely gets 1K views and websites, making people confused.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
Man how things change in a few months. People were saying Sony needed to do a better job at messaging and PR but now it's Xbox that needs to do that. Since May everything has gone downhill for the Xbox team.

IMO Sony just needs to show us gameplay of the launch games, launch window games, and give a price. PS5 will sell itself. No need to be out there giving interviews to every little podcaster that barely gets 1K views and websites and making people confused.
Exactly, some people here still acting like Sony didn’t show anything impressive and they act like Ps5 showcase was a bit better as if their narrative and taste of what was revealed for ps5 objective and apply to everyone here.

Sony don’t really have to do anything but they will, if I were Sony I would take advantage of Microsoft’s failure. They can say :
“ this is not CGI or in-engine, it’s gameplay, you will get to play it BEFORE 2022 “

ne1butu

New UI demonstration. Then show it starting a game with some gameplay, showing the quicker load times. Announce PSNow is now part of PS+. Show the price and release date.

tryDEATH

They can play also their CoD and FIFA games on PS5, and it will still be a jump up from PS4. The difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X will be negligible; certainly not worth leaving Sony's first-party portfolio behind in the trade.

They can get that right now with either PS4 or Xbox One. Those users don't need an expensive new system to get that privilege, particularly when the service on new system isn't even promising any different games than they would by sticking with their old system.

They can play those games on the PS5, but if you are going to decided to upgrade you will look at the overall offering and Xbox is by far the better complete package. You get the more powerful console, you get the better back compatibility, and you are getting the preeminent gaming subscription in gaming in GamePass at a price that is unmatched by anyone else.

n0razi

Relax....

From a hardware sales standpoint XBX is no threat at all to PS5; Microsoft has shown that they are pushing Game Pass as their dominant product

Now if Sony wants a piece of that subscription model $ pie, then yeah they will have to actually so something more.

Arkam

I think the (early) Aug event will show some OS features, one or two New games (like GOW and maybe COD), Spiderman again (gameplay glimpse) and then late gen PS4 games "upgraded: (GOT, TLOU2 and Days Gone). Cant see pre-orders being announced with out price and I am not confident Sony has that penned down. IF they do announce Price and Date I dont think we will see all OS features and instead they will show BC support only and announce a future System teardown/walkthrough coming (in September).

Now lets see if my magic 8 ball was lying to me.

Nickolaidas

You make a deal with MS to have Game Pass on the PS5, thus ensuring that not a single soul will purchase a Series X.

In all seriousness however, one lousy Halo demo is not a reason for Sony to change its strategy. It's not like every single MS game will look subpar.

Bryank75

Banned
The Western game industry is mostly destroyed, now. Halo shows you the result of non-merit hiring. If Japan can resist the cultural attacks on them from Twitter sjws, then the PS5 will see more success, easily.
I agree, most studios have grown a rot inside themselves... Bioware, 343 and so on.

You can easily spot the ones that hire more on merit, like R* and CDPR. Then Playstations studios have somehow remained very good despite the cultural state.

The rest of the west is mostly a mess, with a few smaller studios also remaining decent.

Theres nothing to do but wait it out...this stupid cancel culture and all that will burn itself out eventually.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Move HQ from Cali back to Japan
Stop being woke
Stop making boring ass games
Stop censoring shit
Redesign the ugly two tone PS5 and Dual Sense
Upgrade the wifi in PS5 to wifi 6 and ethernet to 10gig
Make turn based jrpgs, arcade racers and fighting games top priority
Make AAA Anime based video games
Sign a deal with YOUNOW and Make playroom great again
Make custom SSD at least 2TB keep price the same

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
At this stage we’re had:

Both consoles revealed.

An average Sony show in June, with not much gameplay.

A weak Xbox show in July, with even less gameplay - other than poor old Craig.

So, what’s Sony’s next step?

On the one hand, Microsoft haven’t come out all guns blazing, so there’s no need to panic. But on the other, it’s not like Sony have really wowed us all as yet either, have they?

I think they still need State Of Play to be VERY strong in August. The danger for Sony isn’t so much that people might buy the Xbox instead, it’s that they might chose to buy NOTHING. That means Sony has to clearly state the Ps5’s value proposition... and that means some big reveals. And also price and release date. It’s time to lay their cards on the table.

Have posted this elsewhere, but here’s the kind of thing I think they need to produce at State Of Play to get people to buy the Ps5 on release:

Horizon Forbidden West gameplay
Spider-man Miles Morales gameplay
Demon’s Souls gameplay
New IP reveal trailer
Huge IP reveal trailer (GoW, Uncharted, From Software etc.)
Price
Release date
Pre-order

...yes, Microsoft are allowing them to relax a little in terms of the competition, but Sony can’t get lazy now. People don’t have to buy anything.
Vita had some issues...we need a handheld with all digital games to match a discless console. This is what we came up with for 2021...
ZMHDI2g.jpg

Isa

That’s like putting your dick into dog’s vagina. It fits but won’t produce offspring.

I'd like to finally see a damn price and pre-order. Launch line-ups need to be solidified, not just the launch window games. We need concrete details on what Sony's BC entails. So far it seems kind of limited though I hope its not the case, otherwise I may hold out and just stick with my PS4 for a few years until the games I really want come out. I hope to see more niche games, particularly Japanese and other Asian stuff as that's what I'll mainly be playing. If I have to suffer through another made-by-committee open world deluge of "AAA" stuff I'll be disappointed.

I'm expecting a reveal for Call of Duty Black Ops Coldwar at one of these conferences, maybe they've been waitning to see which side has gained more momentum? I'm also surprised that the next Final Fantasy hasn't been revealed yet, even if in logo and a cg trailer. Regardless I hope its good and they don't get complacent. Also where the hell is Dragon Quest XI S, its even now on Xbox for Christ's sake. Jesus Sony, if I can expect other exclusive Jrpgs on Nintendo, Xbox and PC why main PS if I'm burnt out on your first party stuff?

Edit: Just saw on Gematsu that DQXI S and Balan Wonderland are coming to multiple platforms. I'll definitely be playing that come December, should the world keep on turning.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing. Don't don't have to do anything... God that console is huge

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Yoboman

If I were Sony (psst don't ever hire me, I'll bankrupt your company):

(1) I would go on a marketing onslaught with messaging along the lines of:
- "Playstation 5 is the only place to experience true next-generation games"
- "All of your PS4 games will work flawlessly, but we want you experience true next-gen gaming with the power of Playstation 5"
- "We hope you have had an amazing 7 years with Playstation 4. Now, we're pushing our developers and partners to unleash the power of Playstation 5"

(2) Announce the price (at this point they can go with $499 and it won't matter) with the inclusion of one game (Playstation store) download free for all purchases in the first 6 months.

(3) Put up an unboxing video, featuring Mark Cerny and Shuhei Yoshida. Show everyone exactly what will come in the box and make it fun but professional-looking.

(4) Put up a teaser video for the future of Playstation VR, and set up some sort of registration system where anyone who buys a PS5 in the first 12 months will get $100 off PSVR when it comes out.

I think if they can really pummel Microsoft at the very start, Xbox will not be able to recover. By the time Xbox comes out with their actual next-gen stuff, Sony's lead will be so great that it'll be impossible to overturn.
I dont think Sony needs to go on the attack

I dont think Sony has even acknowledged the competition which is in itself a great little dig, but i think they've shown themselves classy by being above the console war BS and doing their own thing while the MS PR is all over the place jumping between digs at Sony to praising them like a little brother begging for attention

You go all in for that 150m-160m market share goal of the PS2 days. Attainable and within reach. Price correctly, anticipate moves and value adds by the competition (Xbox Live morphed into Gamepass - thus PS Now added to PS Plus Ultimate). A couple more banger announcements in August that are far out. Show what the hardware can do in game - detailed by devs showcasing the streghts of the SSD/IO. Push the contrast on philosophies of generational jumps (an easy winner - market reacts positively to it). Have a AAA third-party showcase to announce all partnerships (don't have it broken down and in blog posts - so low effort and dumb). Dominate the news cycle with deep dives on the console etc all the way in the lead up to launch. Give gamers a roadmap from here on out on the events and schedule for these things. Advertise in the right places.

I have no faith in Eric Lempel but we'll see. Lame suit - by the book - no energy, despite saying the correct things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

BrentonB

If I'm Sony I just make sure that every game that is going to launch is fully baked. No glitches, pop-in, LOD issues or loading times. Let the fanboys do my fighting for me in the Halo threads.

Hezekiah

Banned
The more GamePass subscribers the large the budgets for those AAA games. The financials behind subscriptions amount to an insane amount of money. Xbox can easily make $50Mil+ a month with the current subscription base and can grow to over $100Mil a month in no time with the launch of next generation. With that sort of of income, they can basically finance a AAA game every 2 months, money will not be a problem for Xbox.
Been arguing about this over the weekend. The service is not making an insane amount of money at the moment, in reality it's almost certainly losing a ton as they give it away dirt cheap which is why Microsoft won't talk about it.

Also, let's say Microsoft does make $100m a month from GamePass. That money isn't all theirs to spend internally. They need to pay third-party content creators for the right to include their games - and the more games included, the higher the cost. That money is getting spread many ways.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's a big feather as PSVR is the only place to play VR on consoles. If i were Sony, i would be pushing it to be the best place to play VR across the industry.

There was a thread/post knocking about on here last week where a game (it could have been NMS?) used a trick/emulator, to make the game work properly in VR. If Sony could use that tech to make their BC games VR compatible, then...whooo
I think they'll wait until next year before mentioning VR. They already have an expensive consoles and peripherals coming out, and they don't want to dilute the messaging.

J____Av

Nothing different. They have all the positive hype and all the buzz. Just don't do anything stupid and it will be a fucking blowout.

That being said, GOW 2 would just be Sony stepping on Xbox's throat

Last edited:

J____Av

See, I don’t think they can do that. Like I say, it’s not so much about people going for Xbox over PlayStation, it’s about them not going for either, if the value proposition isn’t there. And I don’t think Sony have proved there’s just yet...

To the general masses they have though. The Sony talk on social media is overwhelmingly positive and the PS5 buzz is through the roof

J____Av

When your competitor is showing off games that are still in concept stage (Everwild), I think you can get away with showing a sneak peek of an early GoW2. We all know it's coming and that it's gonna be good, it would score Sony some major clout if they teased it and it looked unreal. I think showing off next gen Fortnite and new CoD would go a long way in appealing to the mass market too.

They might as well save GOW 2 for next year. They have a massive lead in the next gen hype and the first GOW 2 trailer is a fucking megaton. Keep it for next year and they are pretty much a lock to "win" the hype battles next year too

Reactions: MrS

EekTheKat

All Sony needs to do at this point is to not price themselves out of the mainstream audience. That's pretty much the only thing that matters at this point when it comes to swaying the mindset of the people.

Nail that, and the rest pretty much falls into place.

supernova8

Banned
I dont think Sony needs to go on the attack

I dont think Sony has even acknowledged the competition which is in itself a great little dig, but i think they've shown themselves classy by being above the console war BS and doing their own thing while the MS PR is all over the place jumping between digs at Sony to praising them like a little brother begging for attention

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I just think that now MS has shown their hand (or lack of one), Sony's in the clear to really drill home the messaging and since MS won't really have much to come back with.

Smoke6

What if this was all a ploy by MS to get Sony to budge first on the pricing by showing an old ass build of their flagship game and causing a stir to where people are doubting them now?

the game is chess not checkers!

aerts1js

I wouldn't even bother showing GOW yet. I mean, if MS had a strong show than sure, but right now probably just more gameplay of what has been revealed.

Top Bottom