• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Youtuber you don't know: Bungie's Marathon is not interesting

Ev1L AuRoN

I feel incredibly shallow saying this but, just hearing the name Marathon I already hated the game, knowing it's just a GaaS game just solidify it in my mind. The trailers didn't help either. I hope I'm wrong and the game is good but I feel no hype for this one.

MMaRsu

Banned
I feel incredibly shallow saying this but, just hearing the name Marathon I already hated the game, knowing it's just a GaaS game just solidify it in my mind. The trailers didn't help either. I hope I'm wrong and the game is good but I feel no hype for this one.

Literally nobody said its a GAAS game.

Cunty title. Aztecross is great. And if you play a reasonable amount of Destiny 2 you'll know who he is. But I suppose the target audience for the thread is console warring retards.

As for Tarkov players not liking Marathon? That's kind of to be expected. Presumably Marathon is trying to be far simpler and more streamlined for the console markets.

I'm still not sure what their long-term plan is...putting out one more D2 expansion then putting it in maintenance mode? I thought it was a pretty solid cash cow. I know it missed projections by 45% or whatever but it's definitely a "if you build it they will come situation" with the Final Shape.

Roberts

I once had a dream about playing a game called Escape From Tarakanov where you and your team navigate a way out of a cockroach infested Soviet apartment building.

But yeah, let's wait and see. I think Bungie knows their stuff. Their shooting mechanics are tied wit Halo (guess, why?) as the best in the business. And Destiny was pretty good until its lore shit the bed with way too much overcomplicated mumbo jumbo.

Shut0wen

Whats wrong with that lmao 🤣😂. Games go through development issues all the time. Jesus christ some of you people
Never said they didnt, but at the time in 98 a game in 3 years dev was a very long time, especially considering halo was made in less then a year, same with halo 2, now look at bungie, it has no idea what its doing with destiny and everyone that was good at the studio has literally left, at this point its probably best they dont go back to GAAS games at all, they started the trend but now they have literally shot themselfs in the foot

DaGwaphics

Was anyone excited about it when it was announced?

They should have just made it a single player game in that universe, with a multiplayer mode sure.

I'm always more interested in single player, so, I'd never argue with that. I thought the reveal trailer looked interesting visually, but they didn't show much of the game. Made it hard to form an opinion on it when I'm not familiar with the IP.

StueyDuck

this guy has already been called out for making up shit, he talks about matter being cancelled in 2020 yet we only learnt about it through rumors in 2021 and microsofts documents mention matter as a new game bungie is making.

FrozenFlame

The only real BR flops have been HyperScape and maybe that Battlefield BR? You do have a bunch of indie BRs that never truly caught on but as far as big budget titles, the BR genre is as teflon as it gets. Hell, look at how well Naraka Bladepoint is doing. That's the last big BR to release and it's crazy popular.

I dig the Extraction Shooter concept but the idea of Bungie making a BR and then switching gears because a game 1/100th the size of Fortnite released, kinda shows you this guy is just making up BS to get clicks.

I think it's a bit unfair to single out indie titles from this discussion when we have games like PUBG, Rocket League, Among Us, Dead by Daylight, Fall Guys, etc. And Naraka Bladepoint is a good point, although, being melee based and the whole... asian asthetic helps differentiate from the competition.
Mind you, I'm not defending Bundie decision of making an extraction shooter. I honestly think that it should have been a new IP. Nonetheless, like you pointed out, sure, there's room for BR but they need an unique "flavour" so that people can be tempted to try it out/stop constantly playing the same BR over and over again AND make a quality product. But I also can't blame them for going for the Extraction shooter genre. Compared to BR, there's less competition and, there's potential there for sucess if they can solve the skill celling "issue".

You'd have to ask yourself...did those titles fail due to quality issues or did they fail because the genre is saturated?

I don't think a studio like Bungie is saying "Well if Islands of Nyne didn't make it, what chance do we have?"

Plus, you'd have to compare that list with other genres like fighting games, racing games, arena shooters etc and see how many failed games those genres produce over the years.

The genre has so much flexibility that I don't think it's really close to being tapped out.
I think you're still missing the point. It's not impossible for a new BR to succeed, Apex Legends is the perfect example of it. The issue here is that it reaches a point where it requires more effort (or if you prefer, risk) to create something that can succeed in a market where there's already big dogs in control. There's a reason why companies love brand loyalty. Epic could have done all the right things (no exclusives bullshit and a store that had the same quality as Steam) but they would still not succeed. Now, if for some imaginable reason was possible to grab your steam library and put it on the Epic store... uhm... I don't know....

Same thing goes for multiplayer games. You already learned the maps, what are the best weapons/equipment, those small tricks... You have a bunch of free or paid content that you like to show off.... You're still getting new content... Why change to a new game that is basically the same thing but visually different and not as robust?

There's a reason why there's a big rush of similar games whenever something new and successful shows up and as time goes on, they stop making those type of games and move on to something different. Hell, I'm genuinely surprised we haven't seen a AAA Vampire Survivors game... on the other hand, wouldn't be surprised if it's a game mode on the next Call of Duty...

Last edited:
Not surprised. I’m sure it’ll have amazing gunplay and a silky smooth frame rate, but it will also be loaded with micro transactions and monetization and maybe even P2W mechanics. When the developer behind Destiny and the publisher behind LoU Factions get together, there’s going to be some amazing monetization.

Del_X

Bungie is a husk of its former self. Sad, really. Not really a surprise when the OGs were forced out.

Killjoy-NL

Don’t understand the hate

Let’s wait and see
Just a bunch of jaded oldies whining about mp and GaaS.
Nothing new.

OT:

Never heard of Marathon, so I have no expectations.

Quick search on youtube shows it was some MS-DOS shooter a la Duke Nukem?

If so, I hope they don't make some lame old skool-ish sp FPS.

I mean if you don't buy what I say there is always the ignore button

Never mind I will take care of it myself actually
You are doing the right thing. I did the same thing in another thread where he claimed that Destiny 2 came out in 2013 and that other people had no idea of what they were talking about. The dude is our local NeoGaf clown that sticks out like a sore thumb every time he posts. Its quite amusing.

As for Marathon, I've never played the OG so I don't really have an opinion. But logically speaking, I am not sure how it was a good idea to turn it into a multiplayer extraction shooter considering that the fans simply wanted another game in the franchise that is single player. I am assuming it's multiplayer so they can find ways to keep making money out of it due to how expensive games are these days when it comes to development budgets.

But Bungie is also not same anymore, they are also too busy chasing political brownie points on the web instead of focusing on making the right decisions. Very sad state of affairs.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You are doing the right thing. I did the same thing in another thread where he claimed that Destiny 2 came out in 2013 and that other people had no idea of what they were talking about. The dude is our local NeoGaf clown that sticks out like a sore thumb every time he posts. Its quite amusing.

As for Marathon, I've never played the OG so I don't really have an opinion. But logically speaking, I am not sure how it was a good idea to turn it into a multiplayer extraction shooter considering that the fans simply wanted another game in the franchise that is single player. I am assuming it's multiplayer so they can find ways to keep making money out of it due to how expensive games are these days when it comes to development budgets.

But Bungie is also not same anymore, they are also too busy chasing political brownie points on the web instead of focusing on making the right decisions. Very sad state of affairs.
I really do hate using the ignore button unless I feel someone is just 100% trolling

I made the mistake of having this same name across all my public accounts and stuff and its funny how some will go out of their way to send me messages on Twitter or on Xbox or whatever just to troll

It just gets kind of tiring honestly and I just need to stick with interacting here like a total gamer and not share stuff I hear (that I am allowed to share)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I really do hate using the ignore button unless I feel someone is just 100% trolling

I made the mistake of having this same name across all my public accounts and stuff and its funny how some will go out of their way to send me messages on Twitter or on Xbox or whatever just to troll

It just gets kind of tiring honestly and I just need to stick with interacting here like a total gamer and not share stuff I hear (that I am allowed to share)
Ignore button is great. You're basically a mod for the entire site. Everyone here is a mod with unlimited power. I've blocked 1,463 threads in the last few months. If I read it and see there's nothing else there compelling to read, click and it's gone. And even better, it's actually very easy to turn it off too if you ever get bored and want to take a look at the circus, just click the link at the bottom of the page. It's just customization.

Last edited:

Kurotri

"Some Youtuber you don't know" ... Wtf? Aztecross is a pretty big Destiny streamer.
Cunty title. Aztecross is great. And if you play a reasonable amount of Destiny 2 you'll know who he is. But I suppose the target audience for the thread is console warring retards.

As for Tarkov players not liking Marathon? That's kind of to be expected. Presumably Marathon is trying to be far simpler and more streamlined for the console markets.

I'm still not sure what their long-term plan is...putting out one more D2 expansion then putting it in maintenance mode? I thought it was a pretty solid cash cow. I know it missed projections by 45% or whatever but it's definitely a "if you build it they will come situation" with the Final Shape.
Listen fellas, I'm sorry for not knowing this guy. I don't even play Destiny, man.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ignore button is great. You're basically a mod for the entire site. Everyone here is a mod with unlimited power. I've blocked 1,463 threads in the last few months. If I read it and see there's nothing else there compelling to read, click and it's gone. And even better, it's actually very easy to turn it off too if you ever get bored and want to take a look at the circus, just click the link at the bottom of the page. It's just customization.
Yeah it works great here and mods do a good job at keeping pure trolls in check

Like I say my problem is I made myself to easy to find on all platforms so when they don't get the reaction out of me here I get these weirdly tagged people all of a sudden sending me messages on at other places

Its all good though

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah it works great here and mods do a good job at keeping pure trolls in check

Like I say my problem is I made myself to easy to find on all platforms so when they don't get the reaction out of me here I get these weirdly tagged people all of a sudden sending me messages on at other places

Its all good though
Personally, I think there's quite a few pure trolls that are not even slightly in check but I'm not generally in favor of banning people. I can just block it and they can do their thing. Everyone wins.

I've blocked 1,463 threads in the last few months.

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Top Bottom