• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Youtuber you don't know: Bungie's Marathon is not interesting

Sleepwalker

That was 1994, there's elder millennials that would remember it

Lets argue for argument's sake that maybe they played it when they were 10, theyd be 39 now, but realistically how many kids played games on apple computers back then? So probably most people that played it where quite a bit older, if they were 20 that would make them 49 :p. Close enough.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Lets argue for argument's sake that maybe they played it when they were 10, theyd be 39 now, but realistically how many kids played games on apple computers back then? So probably most people that played it where quite a bit older, if they were 20 that would make them 49 :p. Close enough.

How many people actually played the first Wolfenstein that loved the reboot games? It doesn't really matter, the brand still has some recognition as a starting point and it can carry in new audiences if hype builds

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

How many people actually played the first Wolfenstein that loved the reboot games? It doesn't really matter, the brand still has some recognition as a starting point and it can carry in new audiences if hype builds
No it doesn't really matter I agree with you, I disagree with the original post that says the brand carries some sort of negative stigma because it began on apple lol

LordOfChaos

No it doesn't really matter I agree with you, I disagree with the original post that says the brand carries some sort of negative stigma because it began on apple lol

Yeah that's silly, Marathon still gets respect as the daddy of Halo and I think most people barely remember the Apple tie, even if that was a silly reason to hate it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I do like how he says "It was originally supposed to be a Battle Royale but they switched it when Tarkov took off."

Fortnite is 100x bigger than Tarkov.
PUBG is 100x bigger than Tarkov.
Warzone is 100x bigger than Tarkov.
Apex Legends is 30x bigger than Tarkov.

The Extraction Shooter genre is not comparable to Battle Royale in terms of popularity or longevity.

You don't go "We should make a BR" to "Oh look at this little ripple over there. Let's make an Extraction shooter instead!"

Gudji

I hear its currently a disaster

Snoop Dogg Idk GIF by NBC
I5WhS93.jpg

Guilty_AI

I do like how he says "It was originally supposed to be a Battle Royale but they switched it when Tarkov took off."

The Extraction Shooter genre is not comparable to Battle Royale in terms of popularity or longevity.

You don't go "We should make a BR" to "Oh look at this little ripple over there. Let's make an Extraction shooter instead!"
giphy-1.gif

Its over men_in_boxes, gaas is losing. Time to try out that BG3 and embrace the single player future of gaming.

Perrott

Gold Member
So Bungie brought in some Tarkov content creators to try out Marathon and at the end of the playtest none of them said that they'd leave Tarkov over Marathon? Who the fuck cares.

As if the opinion of playtesters was worth anything.

Do I have to remind y'all that it was due to "playtest feedback" that EA changed this game...

... into this?

Neon Xenon

So Bungie brought in some Tarkov content creators to try out Marathon and at the end of the playtest none of them said that they'd leave Tarkov over Marathon? Who the fuck cares.

As if the opinion of playtesters was worth anything.

Do I have to remind y'all that it was due to "playtest feedback" that EA changed this game...

... into this?

Man...I rewatched the original announcement trailer for Overstrike back on October 7th. I'm still upset at how that concept was twisted into Fuse.

FrozenFlame

On the other hand, how many BR flopped? The issue with certain online game genres is that once you reach a couple of successful hits, it will be really, REALLY difficult to bring a new title that can join the big boys. Players will be too much invested on those early games to switch to a different one.

At least with extraction shooters, it's basically EFT and Hunt Showdown, with a lot of space to bring something new to the table. Issue here is how do you create something frustrating and yet, appealing to the masses that lack the skill.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
On the other hand, how many BR flopped? The issue with certain online game genres is that once you reach a couple of successful hits, it will be really, REALLY difficult to bring a new title that can join the big boys. Players will be too much invested on those early games to switch to a different one.

At least with extraction shooters, it's basically EFT and Hunt Showdown, with a lot of space to bring something new to the table. Issue here is how do you create something frustrating and yet, appealing to the masses that lack the skill.

The only real BR flops have been HyperScape and maybe that Battlefield BR? You do have a bunch of indie BRs that never truly caught on but as far as big budget titles, the BR genre is as teflon as it gets. Hell, look at how well Naraka Bladepoint is doing. That's the last big BR to release and it's crazy popular.

I dig the Extraction Shooter concept but the idea of Bungie making a BR and then switching gears because a game 1/100th the size of Fortnite released, kinda shows you this guy is just making up BS to get clicks.

Codes 208

Was anyone excited about it when it was announced?

They should have just made it a single player game in that universe, with a multiplayer mode sure.
“From the creators of halo, comes a reboot of the original halo”

Which after 5 and infinite, this wouldve been a great opportunity for sony and bungie to strike that iron

Last edited:
There is only so much time people can invest into multiplayer games. If it was up to me making the decisions at Bungie, I would set the template for a decade or so of future Destiny titles being their multiplayer/service game and any additional projects catering to the more single player focused players with maybe some co op depending on the design of the game.

Your studio can cater to both audiences

Last edited:
It takes a certain type of masochist to play Tarkov, believe me, I’m one of them so I have no idea what Bungie was expecting inviting Tarkov players to a play test. You could tell from the reveal trailer what the gameplay would be like and it’s nothing like Tarkov.
Tarkov players play Tarkov...and Hunt: Showdown twice per month to let us know how casual and easy Hunt is.

Sad Dying Inside GIF

That's not to say they can't pull in new players but man, Hunt: Showdown is a fucking tight and riveting game if you can get into it. Everyone I know who regularly plays, plays that as their main shooter. Of course it has some issues but they have that gameplay loop and the mechanics figured out and the game is like a shot of pure adrenaline when the tension breaks.

It's also very...emergent if that's the term. The world and players almost have Immersive Sim touches where, for the most part, what you think will burn, will burn, lanterns above barrels will blow shit up, booby-traps, most buildings are wallbang-able, sound design is insane. And on and on.

What I'm saying is, I guess, is Hunt isn't just a regular FPS where you extract shit. The stuff you can do, the PvE elements, the stakes, the core mechanics...they better bring their A game to try to compete with a game this well-designed. "Shooter where you grab stuff first" is the smallest part why people love that game passionately.

Roxkis_ii

I too would love a single player game with bungie's world class gunplay, but after tasting that multiplayer money, I fear they won't be able to justify making another single player game.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Was anyone excited about it when it was announced?

They should have just made it a single player game in that universe, with a multiplayer mode sure.
Agreed, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot by not locking in a Marathon Trilogy remake as a exclusive. Or a new game whichever.
Still after all this nonsense over the past week with controversy surrounding Bungies higher ups and all that, wouldn’t be surprised if Sony puts its foot down and cracks the whip.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean... its just trend chasing the current popular thing of yesteryear. Of course its the most boring uninspired thing no one will give two shits about.

Who the hell hears "extraction shooter" and gets excited? Its like hearing "hero shooter" and before that "new moba".

The market is saturated, it can't just be "pretty good" it has to be exceptional in every way to drag people away. People forget Destiny had the advantage of being the first to market in its genre essentially, creating the trend. Marathon might have been running for a long ass time, but it's hobling over the finish near the back of the pack.

Last edited:
Hey, if I create a random YouTube video about Marathon or any other Bungie game will you guys promise to create a thread about it here as well? I'm super reliable.

I mean... its just trend chasing the current popular thing of yesteryear. Of course its the most boring uninspired thing no one will give two shits about.

Who the hell hears "extraction shooter" and gets excited? Its like hearing "hero shooter" and before that "new moba".

The market is saturated, it can't just be "pretty good" it has to be exceptional in everyday to drag people away. People forget Destiny had the advantage of being the first to market in its genre essentially, creating the trend. Marathon might have been running for a long ass time, but it's hobling over the finish near the back of the pack.
Kind what I was getting at before my inner Hunt fanboy stepped on the gas.

It has to be an exceptional game making a new for itself like you said. Nobody gives a fuck that Hunt is an "extraction shooter". I never even knew that genre tag until over a year into playing it. I also heard about Hunt being unique and an excellent game for a long time before I bit.

wolffy66

I don't get the appeal of Tarkov, so if Tarkov players liked it that would probably be enough for me to expect to pass on it.

MMaRsu

Banned
The only real BR flops have been HyperScape and maybe that Battlefield BR? You do have a bunch of indie BRs that never truly caught on but as far as big budget titles, the BR genre is as teflon as it gets. Hell, look at how well Naraka Bladepoint is doing. That's the last big BR to release and it's crazy popular.

I dig the Extraction Shooter concept but the idea of Bungie making a BR and then switching gears because a game 1/100th the size of Fortnite released, kinda shows you this guy is just making up BS to get clicks.

Radical Heights
The Culling 2
The Darwin Project
Cuisine Royale
Battlefield 5 Firestorm
Ring Of Elysium
Realm Royale
Super People
Spellbreak
Islands of Nyne
Rumbleverse
Apex Legends Mobile
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodhunt

These are most of what I could find, all of these BR's died or are basically dead.

Could put in Black Ops but that was a pretty big hit, only shuttered by Activision because they moved onto the new game.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well Hunt Showdown is the best extraction shooter so… idk what to think of this.

Tarkov is barely a game and borderline Star Citizen of vaporware shit. Morons like Shroud made this game relevant when in fact it’s raw sewage.

So… guess Marathon will be great ?

MMaRsu

Banned
Tarkov is barely a game and borderline Star Citizen of vaporware shit.

What.

Which part of it is vaporware? The part where they wanted to make all the maps into one big map? Yeah thats never happening.

But it's got more content than Hunt Showdown has, in terms of quests, maps, guns, armor, items, hideout etc.

So your just talking out of your ass. As someone who's kinda done with the game after 1000 hours, I really disagree.

Last edited:
Bring a modern and multiplayer version of Oni you cowards. Marathon was always the foundation and building for Halo/Bungie and was never a "great unique game" by comparison to DOOM, it was just DOOM on a MAC at the time.

Hell even the name doesn't really inspire that must have feeling in this old Bungie fan. Oni, cool AF. Halo, you spin right round baby. Destiny, sign me the fuck up. But....Marathon, who wants to run that?

I'll always check out a Bungie game, every single time. Hopefully it's great but if they grind it and lock content as well as a disjointed story/GaaS thingy that is behind for years then I have no interest Bungie. Make it fun, not a job.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Radical Heights
The Culling 2
The Darwin Project
Cuisine Royale
Battlefield 5 Firestorm
Ring Of Elysium
Realm Royale
Super People
Spellbreak
Islands of Nyne
Rumbleverse
Apex Legends Mobile
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodhunt

You'd have to ask yourself...did those titles fail due to quality issues or did they fail because the genre is saturated?

I don't think a studio like Bungie is saying "Well if Islands of Nyne didn't make it, what chance do we have?"

Plus, you'd have to compare that list with other genres like fighting games, racing games, arena shooters etc and see how many failed games those genres produce over the years.

The genre has so much flexibility that I don't think it's really close to being tapped out.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
You'd have to ask yourself...did those titles fail due to quality issues or did they fail because the genre is saturated?

Both.

Not only do most of them focus on shooters, which is pretty stupid if you ask me, but a game like Dark & Darker is pretty big on PC so far and is more like a PVP dungeon crawler, medieval style.

Plus, you'd have to compare that list with other genres like fighting games, racing games, arena shooters etc and see how many failed games those genres produce over the years.
Not sure why, I mean each genre has it's own issues and problems.

Fighting games are overall pretty big, but only some of them get picked up for major play like tournaments etc.

Racing games.. Well I can't name them all but I think racing games are usually pretty successful, unless they plain suck ass.

Arena shooters have been dead since Quake 3 Arena.

Last edited:

Yeah that reads poorly. I was going by naming alone then changed gear and left you all confused. My bad. D1 was alright regarding grinding, then D2 was just full force gear swaps, RNG Jesus and locked high level content unless you grind it like a job. Entire crew dropped it by mid D2.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah that reads poorly. I was going by naming alone then changed gear and left you all confused. My bad. D1 was alright regarding grinding, then D2 was just full force gear swaps, RNG Jesus and locked high level content unless you grind it like a job. Entire crew dropped it by mid D2.

Yeah D2 was kinda ass. I tried getting back into it, but they removed the intro to the campaign? I was like what? And just didn't bother again.

I still have faith in this game though, I know nothing of Marathon, but I really enjoyed my time with Tarkov for as long as it lasted.
Wouldn't mind a new take on it, especially a scifi extraction game could be awesome.

I don't think they would make it GAAS like Destiny but who am I to say, Bungie has been horrible for years in terms of monetization and grind.

kebaldo

Bungie is destined to become the support team for the multiplayer aspect of the first party studios games from Sony. And maybe a Destiny 3 in the future.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Both.

Not only do most of them focus on shooters, which is pretty stupid if you ask me, but a game like Dark & Darker is pretty big on PC so far and is more like a PVP dungeon crawler, medieval style.

Not sure why, I mean each genre has it's own issues and problems.

Fighting games are overall pretty big, but only some of them get picked up for major play like tournaments etc.

Racing games.. Well I can't name them all but I think racing games are usually pretty successful, unless they plain suck ass.

Arena shooters have been dead since Quake 3 Arena.

You'd also have to compare those games, when they failed, and plot them out to when Battle Royale hits were released.

Islands of Nyne was released in 2018. It failed. We all know a bunch of successful BR games launched after that.

Radical Heights was made in 3 months by Cliffy Bs failed Lawbreakers studio. Should that really be counted against the genre?

I just don't think you can say it with any degree of certainty. I think you can start saying it when a number of high quality BRs release and they flop consecutively. We aren't there yet.

Last edited:
You'd also have to compare those games, when they failed, and plot them out to when Battle Royale hits were released.

Islands of Nyne was released in 2018. It failed. We all know a bunch of successful BR games launched after that.

Radical Heights was made in 3 months by Cliffy Bs failed Lawbreakers studio. Should that really be counted against the genre?

I just don't think you can say it with any degree of certainty. I think you can start saying it when a number of high quality BRs release and they flop consecutively. We aren't there yet.

Plus when the winning lottery BR game hits, it's billions in revenue, studios are going to chase that sort of ROI for a long ass time to come.

Shut0wen

Dog shit according to who bro? The game wasnt playable when it was an 'rts'.
Jason jones said himself it was shit, turned it into a third person shooter and they were to busy fucking around with myth 2 until MS told them to take there finger out there ass and make halo

MMaRsu

Banned
Jason jones said himself it was shit, turned it into a third person shooter and they were to busy fucking around with myth 2 until MS told them to take there finger out there ass and make halo

Whats wrong with that lmao 🤣😂. Games go through development issues all the time. Jesus christ some of you people

Top Bottom