• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Marathon | PlayStation Showcase

tmlDan

A mid game can be carried by social interaction. I play games for interesting unique worlds, challenge and experiences, not as a social tool. Most mainstream gamers only play games to hang out with thier friends, there are plenty of games out there for you if that's what your after. Playing with friends can be fun but I respect it less.
none of what you said made sense to me, why do you respect it less? it's just as challenging to make a MP game as a SP game.

Just because there are plenty of MP games doesn't mean they appeal to me anymore, we need refreshes and newer ideas.

MagnesD3

none of what you said made sense to me, why do you respect it less? it's just as challenging to make a MP game as a SP game.

Just because there are plenty of MP games doesn't mean they appeal to me anymore, we need refreshes and newer ideas.
The first part is pretty explanatory I'll pass on that but a multiplayer game is way easier to have people enjoy because you get to cheat, "people naturally enjoy talking/hanging out with thier friends". I could pull up a game that is dog shit but has a bunch of dumb funny stuff and make it fun with some friends it's very easy, alot of the multiplayer games lean on the fact the customer will do the work for them.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The first part is pretty explanatory I'll pass on that but a multiplayer game is way easier to have people enjoy because you get to cheat, "people naturally enjoy talking/hanging out with thier friends". I could pull up a game that is dog shit but has a bunch of dumb funny stuff and make it fun with some friends it's very easy, alot of the multiplayer games lean on the fact the customer will do the work for them.
I don't disagree, but it doesn't mean that future games will be like that.

Obviously, mainstream MP games are pretty stale and have horrible core gameplay (fortnite), but that doesn't have to be the case for every game.

MagnesD3

I don't disagree, but it doesn't mean that future games will be like that.

Obviously, mainstream MP games are pretty stale and have horrible core gameplay (fortnite), but that doesn't have to be the case for every game.
I can get excited for MP but it would probably take an incredible SP experience to come with it like Halo back in the day for me to care/become invested. The only MP game I'm looking forward to is Street Fighter 6 because that shit is hot and I dig the series competitively.

Also note I wouldn't trust bungie with my money in a million years with the shit they pulled with Destiny 2 deleting content from players that payed for it. The fact the majority of people were ok with it shows me how right I am to have a disdain for the Mainstream gaming audience, they will consume good or bad since it doesn't mean much to them.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Knowing that this is a PvP extraction shooter does the series a disservice. I thought it'd be a single player experience or something. I guess not. Just disappointing.

FBeeEye

Banned
I love the aesthetic. Reminds me of the Mirrors Edge color palette and art style. Probably won't play it though since I don't do PVP.

GHG

Now I have to find that part :D

giphy.gif

Vindicator

Really not into pvp, but will get this alone for the art direction, sound design and gunplay, also less space magic maybe.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Honestly, why do people hate multiplayer games. Do you guys not have friends? do you not enjoy shooting the shit with people you know? do you not like engaging with others and playing around?

Don't get me wrong, i love single player games but most of the best moments i've had have been multiplayer.

Also, Marathon has an interesting universe but the old games seem pretty average apart from the lore. There aren't many good extraction shooters and im really excited to see more.

I have friends, I enjoy MP. I hate GAAS. If this game was akin to Halo 3, Akin to Unreal Tournament 2004, Akin to Quake 3 - gasmes that were feature rich adn complete at launch? Sure, I would jump in and play if the gunplay felt good and battles were fair and balanced.

We all know this isn't going to be the case. Just look at how they treat Destiny. Look at any major MP shooter today. It will be a cancerous GAAS design and fuck supporting that shit.

Wimbledon

The design of the sniper bot/person looks so cool! I absolutely love the mirrors edge vibe.

It just sucks that I really have stongly disliked extraction type games. Getting ganked triggers me so bad man. I'm a fan of Bungie, so if it's free to play, I'll at least give it a try.
I don't think i've ever played an extraction type game, i've only heard of escape from tarkov and the cycle.

Does divisions dark zone count cause i did play that.

EDIT: also because they dont have single player i do wonder if they'll have PVE in this or PVE/PVP elements. Cause i can't imagine it being strictly merc vs merc. Considering this universe does have aliens in it. Destiny still has ton PVE modes and a PVE/PVP mode with gambit. I just don't how much this type of game is going to keep players playing even if the gameplay is great.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
the viewer count has been reached. 10min

Summary:

- PvP extraction shooter
- Your a runner (a cybernetic mercenary)
- Searching/looting for mysterious artifacts, implants, and weapons
- Character customization (visual modifications)
- Gameplay modifications (possibly referring to implants) / multiple play styles
- Your dropped into 'persistent zones'
- Narrative evolves with what runners are doing over a course of a season
example: a player finds an alien key, places it on an alter and gets immortalized for opening up the next zone, then they have to figure out how to open up that zone for everyone else
- artifacts found in the world combine into bigger artifacts. the goal is to build a prime artifact.
- you can choose to just get out, build the prime or engage with other runners
- The worlds first equivalent to a raid in Destiny is unlocking a zone
- Dedicated servers, disconnect recovery, cross save and crossplay confirmed
- Game is almost at Alpha stage. Devs will be silent for sometime after this announcement, the next announcement will be gameplay.

Yeah, I'm sold. Count me in. This is everything I wanted Escape from Tarkov to be.

Last edited:

X-Wing

The Marathon IP is pretty old m, the original was pretty good for its time… coming from Bungie we know the gunplay will be fun so I’m quite optimistic about this.

Are there any examples of an "Extraction Shooter" available? The term/genre is kinda news to me.
Escape from Tarkov, Marauders, and The Cycle Frontier are pretty good examples. Tarkov being the most hardcore... I'm hoping Marathon is not as hardcore.

There's also DMZ, but it's barely an "extraction shooter" as you don't even extract anything really, you just get Xp, unless things have changed.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Are there any examples of an "Extraction Shooter" available? The term/genre is kinda news to me.

Escape from Tarkov is best example honestly. Your dropped into a zone, you collect gear stock up, try to survive until you can get out. You die, you loose your loot. You survive, you keep what you've found in the world. Next time you enter you now have an item management headache, do I risk jumping back in with new glorious weapon? Have I got enough armour and gear with me for the next run etc etc. It's quite fun, but Escape from Tarkov isn't polished, but Bungie have the resources and experience to make an S tier version of this genre.

Alebrije

Escape from Tarkov is best example honestly. Your dropped into a zone, you collect gear stock up, try to survive until you can get out. You die, you loose your loot. You survive, you keep what you've found in the world. Next time you enter you now have an item management headache, do I risk jumping back in with new glorious weapon? Have I got enough armour and gear with me for the next run etc etc. It's quite fun, but Escape from Tarkov isn't polished, but Bungie have the resources and experience to make an S tier version of this genre.
Sounds like the child of Deadloop and Dark Souls... And your only premise is to keep the loot on every loop.

Pelta88

I just watched Jack Frags coverage of EFT and came away disappointed in the discourse here.

The genre is essentially a more tactical version of COD's Warzone. I don't think the genre has been fully realized and given bungie's pedigree and Marathon's gorgeous visual aesthetic, this could easily turn into something not just huge but gargantuan.

Sometimes you side-step the forum commentary, which become nonsensical. Coupling what I just watched with bungie's concept and what they've told us so far, I'm hyped.

I just watched Jack Frags coverage of EFT and came away disappointed in the discourse here.

The genre is essentially a more tactical version of COD's Warzone. I don't think the genre has been fully realized and given bungie's pedigree and Marathon's gorgeous visual aesthetic, this could easily turn into something not just huge but gargantuan.

Sometimes you side-step the forum commentary, which become nonsensical. Coupling what I just watched with bungie's concept and what they've told us so far, I'm hyped.
Extraction shooters definitely have potential and has a lot of good things about it. The fear and anxiety that comes with these kinds of game is untouchable, I think.

Most of the discourse for this version of Marathon is that it deviates from the original. From all indications the original was a single player game set in a really cool/interesting universe. They're making a PvP/PvE extraction shooter set in the Marathon universe... when the fans of the original really wanted something more in line with the original.

Pelta88

Extraction shooters definitely have potential and has a lot of good things about it. The fear and anxiety that comes with these kinds of game is untouchable, I think.

Most of the discourse for this version of Marathon is that it deviates from the original. From all indications the original was a single player game set in a really cool/interesting universe. They're making a PvP/PvE extraction shooter set in the Marathon universe... when the fans of the original really wanted something more in line with the original.

I've been gaming for a while now and never heard of the Marathon ip. Reading through the official reddit, it appears most had no idea of its history. For all intents, it's a new ip.

That aside, I'm slightly shocked at the potential of the ip. The genre doesn't have a distinct or spearhead ip. I'm certain Bungie can make that leap.

I've been gaming for a while now and never heard of the Marathon ip. Reading through the official reddit, it appears most had no idea of its history. For all intents, it's a new ip.

That aside, I'm slightly shocked at the potential of the ip. The genre doesn't have a distinct or spearhead ip. I'm certain Bungie can make that leap.
I haven't really heard of it either. I've just heard the name tossed around from time to time. The spearhead is Tarkov, unfortunately it just SO hardcore that it has a "limited" reach.

I'm honestly cautiously hyped for the game. I'm already liking the look/style of what they've shown, especially in that mini doc they just dropped. It's difficult to argue against Bungie making some of the "best" feeling FPS games. Ppl can shit on Destiny's story structure and all that stuff, but I don't think you can shit on the way that games shooting mechanics feel.

Probably showing my age here but I have no idea WTF an 'extraction shooter' is and literally don't care enough to even Google it.

Probably showing my age here but I have no idea WTF an 'extraction shooter' is and literally don't care enough to even Google it.
Then let me be your Google.

It is a type of multiplayer game where there’s no binary win condition. The player decides how much he will risk for whatever reward.

Which is a little more dynamic then let’s say a Battle Royale or a Deathmatch type of game where there’s always a clear win/lose state without much repercussion.

If done right Extraction games can be a lot like poker where you can win or lose big in a round or just ‘fold’ when you don’t feel it’s going your way.

What is bungie’s game plan? Because destiny wasn’t as successful as HALO.

Im Out GIF by Halo
Angel Halo GIF by Tinashe
I mean lets be realistic here... what franchise is as successful as HALO?

Bungie as a studio created HALO, which became one of the most successful IPs EVER. Then moved onto Destiny, which is also one of the most successful franchises ever despite how much ppl shit on it... it's still pulling numbers. If you can trust anyone with lore, mechanics, feel, and live service content... it's Bungie.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I mean lets be realistic here... what franchise is as successful as HALO?

Bungie as a studio created HALO, which became one of the most successful IPs EVER. Then moved onto Destiny, which is also one of the most successful franchises ever despite how much ppl shit on it... it's still pulling numbers. If you can trust anyone with lore, mechanics, feel, and live service content... it's Bungie.

Lol, you are so far in denial it isn't even funny.

The Bungie that made Halo is dead. Destiny is a fucking joke, aside from whales and sunk cost fallacy folks. Its "lore" has been a joke for years or are you going to ignore grimoire cards? Ignore that they cut out half the game's content onlyu to sell it back to players at a later date? Ignore that each expansion is a total of 7 hours of content, spread across 100 hours of grinding?

The Bungie of Today is a travesty.

Lol, you are so far in denial it isn't even funny.

The Bungie that made Halo is dead. Destiny is a fucking joke, aside from whales and sunk cost fallacy folks. Its "lore" has been a joke for years or are you going to ignore grimoire cards? Ignore that they cut out half the game's content onlyu to sell it back to players at a later date? Ignore that each expansion is a total of 7 hours of content, spread across 100 hours of grinding?

The Bungie of Today is a travesty.
Denial? bro you took that post a little too personal? It's video games, ease off the gas pedal.

I don't play D2. My take is from current and long time players and the numbers... they've stuck around for a reason. They keep buying the expansions for a reason. You may not like where it is now, I certainly stopped playing, but a whole lot of ppl still play it and enjoy it. ShillUp still loves that damn thing and can't seem to keep himself from going back, so there's something there.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Denial? bro you took that post a little too personal? It's video games, ease off the gas pedal.
Don't project. It's just sad when you do that. Nothing I stated was "personal". Maybe you should ease off the gas pedal, mate.

I don't play D2. My take is from current and long time players and the numbers... they've stuck around for a reason. They keep buying the expansions for a reason. You may not like where it is now, I certainly stopped playing, but a whole lot of ppl still play it and enjoy it. ShillUp still loves that damn thing and can't seem to keep himself from going back, so there's something there.

Like I said. Whales and Sunkcost fallacy.

VAVA Mk2

Stopped watching at pink hair she/her.

Enough with this shit.

Yet another old IP is about to have it's corpse dragged to be butchered.
Maybe they can hire Bonnie Ross and Kiki Wolfkill and Frank O'Connor to help....they seem to be good at doing that with old Bungie IPs that people loved....

Wimbledon

I liked that he touched upon Tarkov , cause i wanted to learn more about it. I might have to try playing it just to see what that type of game is like.

He's also correct about how bungie does story telling today cause most of it is conveyed in through grimories or on weapons ,gear etc or environmental. I think even in the video they mentioned that , if there going to go that route i would really like to see a more interactive environment like maybe find a card that actives some system and it plays a hologram type recording in front of me while im in the game/match etc that gives me an idea of the story in this particular part of the area. Which i think would be pretty cool , i don't know how many people would take the time to read but something that immediately gets your attention would help.

Also very interested too see how each alien will look in this game.....

4kRFuhj.jpg

dealing with them and anything else they add while facing other players will be interesting.

This game will look gorgeous. Play fantastic and be hella optimized on every platform.

It however will be unbalanced af and i fully expect bungie to not do jack to address any of the issues.
Basing this on them not being able to fix Destiny PVP balance at all.

That being said, looking forward to play it and then petty much deciding to drop it after some shit DLC prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom