• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone destroyed a rare Original Xbox development kit

Morinaga

Files that could potentially further OG Xbox emulation, that's what people want. And historical value I guess.

The saddest thing about this, is that Xbox emulation is dead in the water and virtually nonexistent. The contents of that HDD could change that, and open up the entire OG Xbox library to PC emulation. Even if the drive was only quick formatted, there is likely still recoverable information present.

Ill conceed the emulation thing is a good point. I dont know enough about emulation, but on the face of it if they are only library files, every og xbox would have them, so I have my doubts that the hdd would make much of a difference.

At the end of the day its his, he can do what he wants with it and should be able to without ciritisim. If I was as upset as some people seem to be I would be raising money to get the thing off him and salavge it. I havent seen one post to that effect. (there might be I just havent seen it, just alot of negative posts)

Baleoce

I've just been reminded of this situation.

nHjW2jg.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reading that thread was pretty funny.
So much angry nerds 😂😂

poodaddy

I've just been reminded of this situation.

Jesus goddamn titty fucking Christ. This is much more of a travesty in my opinion. Plus I'm 90% sure that the kid is just trolling. Honestly all these angry posts are probably making his day.

jtb

Banned
someone please talk to me like I'm a tech illiterate idiot:

what is unique/important about these devkits that makes them so important for developing proper OG xbox emulation?

Blam

someone please talk to me like I'm a tech illiterate idiot:

what is unique/important about these devkits that makes them so important for developing proper OG xbox emulation?

There's a chance for documentation of the actual OS, Hardware. Things like that, there would also be a huge chance for source code of the actual os on there.

It was tagged as Satire/Joke but it's real I can assure you that. The harddrive was sent out to the OP on reddits friend who could "recover" stuff off of it but who knows what he did to it.

Some people here clearly don't go to the PCMR subreddi, but nothing wrong with that.

The subreddit isn't about thinking that consoles are trash. It's not about doing stupid shit like destroying an original dev kit (look at all the comments and the total upvotes for all the comments it got). It's not even about thinking console owners are morons or something. They even outright say you don't need a PC to be part of "PCMR".

Is this a joke? Have you ever wandered into their wiki? It's fucking pathetic.

Also, didn't those guys get banned for a day because they literally took over /r/gaming, and doxed one of their mods?

I think you severely underestimate how toxic those people are.

mindatlarge

I'm not sure what kind of thought process would be going through someone's mind while destroying a piece of gaming history like this. If the case was already gutted, sure, but to gut this thing for the lulz? I just don't get it.

Oozer3993

This appears to be an Alpha I or II tower. There are some in private hands. Here's one being sold on AssemblerGames a couple years back for €400. Check out the prototype controllers!

rKGgcHx.jpg

I believe a lot of the software from them has been uploaded. Here's a video of one from the AssemblerGames YouTube channel. Some pictures of a different one:

NWxbJx4.jpg

27Y7jd6.jpg

I don't know how valuable the one on the OP would have been. The hardware in these towers was different from the final hardware. Ditto the software. So I'm not sure how useful it would have been for emulation. Besides, there are enough in private hands (I'd guess there are more than 50 around) that anything from them has probably made it's way to anyone who could use it to further progress on emulation.

Borman must be seething with rage right now

He does own an alpha kit with the software.

Madness

PC Master Race alright... could have helped so much with the OG Xbox emulation scene, sold this for a lot of money to people who actually know what it is, but destroy it for the lulz.

Spladam

Wow r/PCMR lost it's shit, given that is probably the easiest forum on the internet to troll though. OP was having a good laugh.

That, as some have pointed out, was an Alpha I or II tower, you can't tell because the badge is right below where the pic gets cut off at the bottom, but it's only worth like $450, if you can find a buyer. It's not even compatible with XBOX Dev Kits, and has an Intel mainboard with a custom bios.

element

How rare is it?

I know only 50 were made, but what about Sega Saturn devkits? Or Jaguar.
Bull shit! The Xbox Alpha Kits were widely available. I'd say there were 50 in just the team I worked on. At one point I think I had three of these in my office after we moved to the form factor devkits. Nothing special here or even rare. They were just the PC equivalent of the Xbox hardware at the time.

If I were to put a number on how many of these were built, I'd put it around 4,000 to 5,000. These were cheap PCs that MS threw out there to get things moving on Xbox, so they could start to be taken seriously.

Also the controllers weren't prototypes. They were just Interact Hammerhead USB rebranded.

Rare would be the handful of Sega Black Belt boards out there. Now that is rare hardware.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
this is like one of the first kits... the NV15 one, no?

I really doubt it would have much value to emulation or preservation peeps

Top Bottom