• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, what the hell just happened? I know the image of a troll army is tossed around a lot as a joke, but the swarming behavior on display could certainly make one wonder if there isn't something to that.

Seeing how some of the trolls have joined for a while (as seen in their profile) and yet have small post counts. I wouldn't be surprised if they are troll joke characters from the other retard board.

You know what I'd want more than anything? Custom soundtracks. The HDD is there, so let us use it to escape the terrorrible music pickins of highly uncool developers and publishers.

theBishop

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Seeing how some of the trolls have joined for a while (as seen in their profile) and yet have small post counts. I wouldn't be surprised if they are troll joke characters from the other retard board.

Didn't we get an influx of about 1000 people in the past few weeks?

Bad_Boy said:
where the hell are these trolls coming from? :lol

alarm the woodworks.

I was not trolling. I was asking a legitimate question. Sony came out of the gate late and they are now trying to catch up to the other consoles. However, it looks as though they are overthinking this whole thing.

Wii's Miis - Simple
360 Achievements and Gamerscore - Simple (and a stroke of genius)

HOME - A digital apartment with trophies and uploaded video and digitial cityscapes...

Do you think the average Madden or Need For Speed fan gives a crap about this? They should stick to the basics like, you know, standard voice chat or in game friends list access. I mean even Kittowny cannot defend the omission of that.

btrboyev

so if this everything people are hyping it to be...what does MS do about it? Make live free?(not gonna happen)

I'm still curious about what nintendo plans to do when they roll out their service (if they even have plans)

KTallguy

Banned
How about something new?

It's amazing, people complain if Sony copies, and when they include features, they say, "Oh it was on such and such already."

Then when Sony creates something new, they're like "Sony should stick with the basics."

Uhh...

Edit: Anyway basic stuff like friends list/voice chat is available in a lot of games.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
theBishop said:
Didn't we get an influx of about 1000 people in the past few weeks?

Some of them have been here since 2005 though but yeah, a good amount of Juniors could be joke characters.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know what I'd want more than anything? Custom soundtracks. The HDD is there, so let us use it to escape the terrorrible music pickins of highly uncool developers and publishers.

Thats what I want. I love being able to play back my own music on the 360. Zero 7 + Dead Rising = ****en Awesome :D

Burai

shitonmychest57
TheJollyCorner said:
*sigh*

this is why we can't have anything nice around here.

Sega_Dreamcast_logo.png

self_portrait_crying.jpg

FirstInHell said:
I was not trolling. I was asking a legitimate question. Sony came out of the gate late and they are now trying to catch up to the other consoles. However, it looks as though they are overthinking this whole thing.

Wii's Miis - Simple

HOME - A digital apartment with trophies and uploaded video and digitial cityscapes...

Do you think the average Madden or Need For Speed fan gives a crap about this? They should stick to the basics like, you know, standard voice chat.

So first you bitch about it being old news and ask for something new, and now you bitch about there being too much and that Sony is overthinking the whole thing?

You know what, I think you really were trolling.

B-Ri

FirstInHell said:

Wii's Miis - Simple

Do you think the average Madden or Need For Speed fan gives a crap about this? They should stick to the basics like, you know, standard voice chat or in game friends list access. I mean even Kittowny cannot defend the omission of that.

not every game needs voicechat. Last thing id ever want is to play madden or need for speed and hear some retard on the other end saying nothing but "urban l33t buzzwords" for the entirety of the game.

"youz a retard homie, i just pawnszored your azz"

no thanks. Same goes for fighters.

Home is something we still know nothing about besides rumors. If you want to bitch at a console go bitch at wii, which despite its lack of HD, still cant get all games to support 480p or widescreen.

theBishop

Banned
FirstInHell said:

Wii's Miis - Simple

Do you think the average Madden or Need For Speed fan gives a crap about this? They should stick to the basics like, you know, standard voice chat.

Let me get this straight. You think the average Madden or Need for Speed fan gives a crap about cartoony customizable avatars and web-accessible nerd scores?

I thought i'd toss this in as well:
Wii's Miis - Simple
Wii's Friend Codes - Simple(?)

B-Ri said:
not every game needs voicechat. Last thing id ever want is to play madden or need for speed and hear some retard on the other end saying nothing but "urban l33t buzzwords" for the entirety of the game.

Well, I'd still prefer to at least have the option. You can always opt to not use the headset.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
FirstInHell said:

Wii's Miis - Simple

Come on man, we dont even know the exact details on this. At least wait until we find more about what 'Home' actually is before overgeneralizing it with those comparisons.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I would love that, along with a way for custom playlists inside the XMB.

B-Ri

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, I'd still prefer to at least have the option. You can always opt to not use the headset.

team based games, yeah. Vs one on one? Thats nothing but the ability to talk shit without being face to face. I dont think id ever find myself talking about everyday life or gossip while playing a game.

FirstInHell said:
Wii's Miis - Simple

And we get both on the PlayStation 3 (hopefully). I don't see a problem with this. Sony may borrow ideas often, but they have a knack of improving what is out there. If it's good, why not use it?

I think people will care. Who thought simple achievement points would attract so many people? It's been done before but I didn't think it would be this successful.

I think it's pretty obvious Sony is working on improving the over-all quality of their already decent online network. Although not all online games need voice-chat, I think we will see more and more games use this feature and the friends list access on the PlayStation 3.

xaosslug

FirstInHell said:

Wii's Miis - Simple

except if things hold up, according to some accounts Sony's been working on 'HOME' since 2004...

crunker99

sounds liek sony may indeed have some Achivement and Wii like plns up their sleeves,, finally they are making some smart moves (lets hope)

i love my xbox360 but i want to love my ps3 as well, i really hope sony starts getting things done baby!

patsu

FirstInHell said:

Wii's Miis - Simple

Both Mii and Achievements are good marketing platforms.

I think those will come but they are so-called hygiene factors. They won't win Sony the war. So they'll be delivered as and when they are ready. There is no need to do a blitz on them.

Assuming what we hear so far is true...

The PS Home concept has personalization and communication (more like personal expression) elements compared to just Achievements (It may be more appropriate to compare a few services in XBL to 1 PS Home).

PS Home also has game-related angle that Mii lacks. It seems highly extensible to me too.

At this point we don't really know much about it.

BlackGoku03 said:
And we get both on the PlayStation 3 (hopefully). I don't see a problem with this. Sony may borrow ideas often, but they have a knack of improving what is out there. If it's good, why not use it?

Exactly. I don't think people get this whole "competition" thing, Sony gets slammed when they don't include a feature and then accused of stealing when they do.

BlueTsunami said:
Thats what I want. I love being able to play back my own music on the 360. Zero 7 + Dead Rising = ****en Awesome :D

The mere thought of potentially having to play Burnout 5 to the wonderful tunes of EA Trax, well it doesn't make me jolly.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kittonwy said:
SONY GIMME IN-GAME PSN FRIENDS LIST ACCESS AND MESSAGING PLEASE!!! Jeebus.
Indifferent2.gif

I know it's been rumored to be in the patch but I want DEFINITIVE ANSWERS.
Indifferent2.gif

Formula One: CE has it... :)

Well not "in-game" (while you are racing), but you can access your friends list in the lobby of the online mode.

Anyway, there is a huge hype-train gunning into GDC and Sony is the operator. I hope they better not disappoint. Then again, with all these trolls around the internet, a few of them will say that they disappointed not matter what they do or announce.

AmishNazi

Banned
FirstInHell said:

I could of swore that the music and videos were to be on the HDD....

Looks....

TehInternet said:
Your home will act as a storage of trophies, achievements, and other rewards that can be viewed by anyone on your buddy list. But, the most crucial aspect to the asset is that it'll let people listen to audio on your HDD and watch videos from your HDD (you make the audio/video public or private).

Yep I think that makes you a troll / spin artist.

theBishop

Banned
btrboyev said:
so if this everything people are hyping it to be...what does MS do about it? Make live free?(not gonna happen)

I'm still curious about what nintendo plans to do when they roll out their service (if they even have plans)

I expect to see Microsoft and Sony's online plans diverge more and more. Sony will probably catch up (or close enough) with the basic stuff such as messaging, voice chat, invites, etc. From there, they will part ways.

Live Anywhere is the future of Live. Lots of interoperability with Vista in the short term, and probably with Windows Mobile-based phones+Zune in the future. I expect Microsoft to eventually host gamesaves on their servers so that they are accessible on any Live-aware device. I don't think Microsoft will ever make Live free, they will instead justify the price by providing more hosting features.

Sony is going to focus on Playstation-centric community features. Home and SingStar are the beginning, but expect to see a lot more of this sort of MySpace-inspired experiences. PSP will receive a major firmware at some point in 2007 that will tie in with all the stuff PS3 is doing. PSP is going to become a very social platform. Skype will probably be added along with other features for sharing media, and interacting. Home will come to PSP in some form as well.

(this is all my speculation)

Kittonwy

Banned
reilo said:
Formula One: CE has it... :)

Well not "in-game" (while you are racing), but you can access your friends list in the lobby of the online mode.

Anyway, there is a huge hype-train gunning into GDC and Sony is the operator. I hope they better not disappoint. Then again, with all these trolls around the internet, a few of them will say that they disappointed not matter what they do or announce.

angry.gif

I mean messaging people who are not playing F1.
Indifferent2.gif

It's like I see someone signing on and I want to get him to play a game with me but I'm in a game and I can't message him, this stuff needs to be fixed. My telepathic abilities are not developed yet.
Indifferent2.gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

Indifferent2.gif

It's like I see someone signing on and I want to get him to play a game with me but I'm in a game and I can't message him, this stuff needs to be fixed. My telepathic abilities are not developed yet.
Indifferent2.gif

Yea, I know :-\

In due time I guess. In due time.

theBishop said:
I expect to see Microsoft and Sony's online plans diverge more and more. Sony will probably catch up (or close enough) with the basic stuff such as messaging, voice chat, invites, etc. From there, they will part ways.

Live Anywhere is the future of Live. Lots of interoperability with Vista in the short term, and probably with Windows Mobile-based phones+Zune in the future. I expect Microsoft to eventually host gamesaves on their servers so that they are accessible on any Live-aware device. I don't think Microsoft will ever make Live free, they will instead justify the price by providing more hosting features.

Sony is going to focus on Playstation-centric community features. Home and SingStar are the beginning, but expect to see a lot more of this sort of MySpace-inspired experiences. PSP will receive a major firmware at some point in 2007 that will tie in with all the stuff PS3 is doing. PSP is going to become a very social platform. Skype will probably be added along with other features for sharing media, and interacting. Home will come to PSP in some form as well.

I don't think you're far off at all. I think it's an interesting path both companies will take.

If the PSP gets a smaller version of Home... imagine the possiblities. You can p robably be able to sign on into your home from your PlayStation 3. Or something like that.

This also falls into Sony's usual pace. They like to bring out cool features a year after launch... Dual Shock... PlayStation 2 going online... PSone, PS2 Slim... all late after launch.

J-Rzez

_leech_ said:
Exactly. I don't think people get this whole "competition" thing, Sony gets slammed when they don't include a feature and then accused of stealing when they do.

It's jealousy and fear, and I can tell due to my Dell-smell-o-vision monitor... :p

Honestly though, it has to be... Resistance really shook up console online gaming with how incredible it runs and all the features it offers... People are probably upset over that it's that good and it's free... I know I am a lil pissed because I had to pay for my scratch-off card and the games really are hurting on there performance wise...

People shouldn't really hate on it though, all it does is drives for better end products due to the competition... You have to know Sony was getting pissed with all the "Sony online services suck" last gen, and xbl this and xbl that... It drove them to get off their asses... If Sony starts putting a major hurting on features with inclusion to the dedicated serves stuff and "premium-content" downloads, MS is going to have to make a major move as well...

I can thank XBL for making the PSN really turn out to be as special as it is and seemingly is even more becoming, just like people should be able to thank PSN for pushing MS to do something with XBL to make it even better...

J-Rzez

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

I agree... that's a great feature of XBL... wish the PSN had it, and hopefully, it will soon...

theBishop said:

Wow, it's sort of like you took all of the available information and unbiasedly made very fair and logical speculations about the future of both respective online platforms.

C'mon thats too easy, where's the sony am doomed talk or the 360 am cry, i mean what is this GameFAQS ( a very respectable online game discussion forum :p).

theBishop

Banned
darksquirrel said:
Wow, it's sort of like you took all of the available information and unbiasedly made very fair and logical speculations about the future of both respective online platforms.

C'mon thats too easy, where's the sony am doomed talk or the 360 am cry, i mean what is this GameFAQS ( a very respectable online game discussion forum :p).

Not so fast... I didn't mention Nintendo :)

(though I still would've made my fair and logical speculation based on all the available information)

v1cious

Banned
this is happening now, right? how come no one has anything new to report? surely someone is/was at Naughty Dog's workshop

Woo-Fu

Banned
you safely avoided the microsoft=closed, sony=open trap when discussing their online endeavors too. :p

wazoo

theBishop said:

I'm ok with that point of view.

I prefer the ps3 point of view, but that is just me.

theBishop said:

(though I still would've made my fair and logical speculation based on all the available information)

Well to be fair nintendo's not giving people much to go on with regards to their online structure (if a structure it can be called) i really hope they get on the ball soon. I don't think friend codes are the future of online gaming :\

Tobor

B-Ri said:

"youz a retard homie, i just pawnszored your azz"

no thanks. Same goes for fighters.

Home is something we still know nothing about besides rumors. If you want to bitch at a console go bitch at wii, which despite its lack of HD, still cant get all games to support 480p or widescreen.

Oy Vey. Anyone here ever sigh so hard they pass out? I feel like I'm getting close.

tanod

when is my burrito
theBishop said:

And for good reason. They're not doing a damn thing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
v1cious said:
yeah but that schedule says Naughty Dog's workshop was today. is it wrong or something?
Wednesday is Phil H's keynote session. All the normal GDC sessions aren't meant for public communication, the keynote is the only session we're liable to get any info out of reliably.

theBishop

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
you safely avoided the microsoft=closed, sony=open trap when discussing their online endeavors too. :p

Well, I do think there's something to that AOL vs Internet analogy Harrison brought up, but I'm not so sure the AOL approach is a bad thing in console gaming.

KTallguy

Banned
theBishop said:
Well, I do think there's something to that AOL vs Internet analogy Harrison brought up, but I'm not so sure the AOL approach is a bad thing in console gaming.

I think a closed environment in 99% of situations is bad.
PC software and content is so amazingly diverse and varied because it's an open platform.
Sure, training wheels associated with easing people into stuff is appreciated, but in the end the open platform will foster more creativity and be better for the consumer in the long run, especially as better and better tools are introduced.

R0nn

This could very well become the turning point for Sony in regards to going from mostly bad press to positive press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom