• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1cious

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Not to make more of this than it is, but if you're going to get the interest of developers, or rather make developers take notice of what this device and service can do for them and of what the developers can do with this machine, then wouldn't the best method be to simply show what's possible? Say, like a demonstration of top tier PS3 software from top tier PS3 developers?

aren't they supposed to demonstrate EDGE this week?

Ceb

Busty said:
That's a good shout actually. I never thought of that. If I had to hazard a guess I'd have said that was a Blu Ray release without question.

But the way Sony's been going with their PSN ambitions, you never know.

The main issue would be the big download sizes. Benefits would include a fantastic entrance fee and less need for marketing. It'd also somehow be easier to justify the lack of online play that the final product will most likely have. When prospective buyers are contemplating a $60 purchase, they're gonna be more likely to just rent the game, but with an initial $7 download, who wouldn't give it a shot (and probably be hooked to download the rest of the episodes too, what with there only being eight of them in total)?

Can't afford another Black Monday-like bomb with this.

Aisenherz

Banned
iceddomain said:
+1000 for the highlander reference.
So true! Conner MacLeod forever!

Back on topic!

You know what that means?
SONY says to us and his opponents:

shangtsung.jpg

IT BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pimpwerx

I'm gonna wait to see what Home is before getting too hyped. I like the potential of the concept, but we'll see how the execution is. Just a couple of days left. Singstar integration would be interesting. PEACE.

Dante

Pimpwerx said:
I'm gonna wait to see what Home is before getting too hyped. I like the potential of the concept, but we'll see how the execution is. Just a couple of days left. Singstar integration would be interesting. PEACE.

Isn't Phil's presentation tommorow?

Edit: My mistake it's Wed

Draft

Straightballin said:
Does anyone think that online wont be free anymore after this is released?
There's no way. Sony might decide to charge for certain aspects of HOME (like microtransacting yourself a digital HDTV :lol ), but there's no way they're gonna suddenly make it $50 a year to play Resistance.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Draft said:
There's no way. Sony might decide to charge for certain aspects of HOME (like microtransacting yourself a digital HDTV :lol ), but there's no way they're gonna suddenly make it $50 a year to play Resistance.

They better not. I won't be able to roll out my "well, you know, the 360 actually costs more money than the ps3 if you intend to play online multiplayer for a few years" argument.

Mojovonio

Banned
Draft said:

they used to claim to have 100% BC too....

Straightballin said:

Don't worry, they will not pull a "games for windows LIVE GOLD" on us.
(Doesnt mean there wont be plenty of extras to pay for if you want I am sure)

Draft

Mojovonio said:
they used to claim to have 100% BC too....
Yeah, I guess you have a point. It wouldn't be the first time they pulled the football away.

But still, PS3 online suddenly going subscription? That's FUD level at this point, as there's really no evidence to suggest they're even thinking of it.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Monday, March 5:

-- 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.: E. Daniel Arey, Director, Naughty Dog, Sony
Computer Entertainment America, "Interactive Storytelling Bootcamp,"
Room 3011, West Hall

In this session right now. Arey is no longer with Naughty Dog, apparently, working now as a outside consultant. He wouldn't mention Uncharted by name and I doubt he'll show anything on it today. :(

Ranger X

Straightballin said:

It will still be free but they will try to sell TONS of stuff to customize your home and avatar.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Geek said:
In this session right now. Arey is no longer with Naughty Dog, apparently, working now as a outside consultant. He wouldn't mention Uncharted by name and I doubt he'll show anything on it today. :(
Thanks for the heads up mate. I thought we may get some sort of U: DF news out of this session, but I guess not. Keep us posted

hauton

Very interesting, now I can't wait for not only the keynote but the rest of GDC and the potential insights on PS3 development that it will entail (which is more in tune with the message of the conference).

Thanks a lot gofreak for all your contributions!

(BTW when can I make topics? :( )

le.phat

sony announces stuff at a convention ?
i'm going to play it safe, and assume they completely and totally screw things up, leave us with nothing but old vids and impressions, and announce absolutely nothing remotely interesting to us consumers. another E3'06 style let down, and i might have a breakdown.

spwolf

tribal24 said:
shadowrun downloadable on xbox live? maybe? or was that already annouced?

as it says, it is playable online but via Live required, on both 360 and PC... which is big news.

Paying for online on PC is strange for non-MMO games.... very strange.

No one has said so far that this stuff is free, correct? Brace yourselves! BTW, why are we talking about Shadowrun when this is a Sony thread?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
WasabiKing said:
No one has said so far that this stuff is free, correct? Brace yourselves!

Well, I don't think speculation has advanced to that stage, and probably rightly, since we still don't really know what "this stuff" is..

In general terms, I'm sure it's quite possible for Sony to introduce a premium community service while retaining the current set up as free. But it's hard to speculate on that without knowing what this service will actually be made up of.

Woo-Fu

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I don't think so....

...well, they better include a free 3-month trial or something with Shadowrun if they expect people to buy it for PC and not return it the next day when they find out they gotta pay more for Live than they did for the game...

Mojovonio

Banned
Draft said:
Yeah, I guess you have a point. It wouldn't be the first time they pulled the football away.

But still, PS3 online suddenly going subscription? That's FUD level at this point, as there's really no evidence to suggest they're even thinking of it.

I doubt they'll just go out and charge for online, but its possible that they introduce a payment service as well.

gofreak said:
Well, I don't think speculation has advanced to that stage, and probably rightly, since we still don't really know what "this stuff" is..

In general terms, I'm sure it's quite possible for Sony to introduce a premium community service while retaining the current set up as free. But it's hard to speculate on that without knowing what this service will actually be made up of.
haha, what a proper tag

Anyway, if they started charging for this avatar thing, I know I'm not paying for shit. I really think achievements are pretty lame, and I hated this "cyber-home" idea back when it was introduced in ESPN NFL 2K5.

Of course, this leaves the door open to ad-supported...

Let's hope they keep it free.

Charging a premium for the console, then having giant Sony Balls to ask gamers to pay for a Home service would be a slap to the face.

How about bundling some kind of annual activation key with first party software? Just buy games in order to re-up your access to this Home thingee.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
WasabiKing said:
Of course, this leaves the door open to ad-supported...
Now that you mention it, I think Phil mentioned ads a while ago. For the life of me I can't remember when or where it was. I think it was during DICE but don't quote me on that.

Wollan

ThirdEye said:
Thanks. Mmm, can't wait! Meanwhile, which's the hottest session?

The Keynote is without a doubt the hottest presentation but as for sessions I haven't looked too deeply into that yet. Supposedly there is one with some SCEE guys who is going to detail some future community aspects for the PS3 so if PS Home gets announced at the keynote they may possibly elaborate further on that.

Wollan

Just calculated it. I have an alarm on my mobile set 30min prior to the keynote though (5am in Melbourne :/ ).

pilonv1

Wollan said:
Just calculated it. I have an alarm on my mobile set 30min prior to the keynote though (5am in Melbourne :/ ).

That's hardcore. I'm just going to check it when I get to work.

Luckyman

Banned
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159313

GDC: Sony to reveal episodic PS3 games

Sony Computer Entertainment is working on a number of episodic PlayStation 3 games to be revealed this year, says SCEA director of production John Hight.

"Mid-summer this year we'll be talking about some games that are episodic in nature," Hight said, speaking at the Independent Games Summit at GDC. "Some by design, more like interactive TV broadcasts and some to take content and spread it out"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom