• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

wotter said:
medium_411627159_72b48cbab1_o.jpg

:)

:D

Dizzan

MINI Member
ThirdEye said:
PLAYSTATION WORLD COMING HO HO HO :D

Are people forgetting that GDC is for DEVELOPERS? "Create worlds" means just that, creating worlds as in games.... People are thinking this is going to be another e3 but it will never be that...... I think that banner is totally unrelated to "HOME"

Dizzan said:
Are people forgetting that GDC is for DEVELOPERS? "Create worlds" means just that, creating worlds as in games.... People are thinking this is going to be another e3 but it will never be that...... I think that banner is totally unrelated to "HOME"
Wouldnt creating "new worlds" go right in with "home" after all, if it really is rumored to be achievements + miis and a host of other stuff, you kind of need developers to help with content from their games for this "world."

theBishop

Banned
Dizzan said:

I think you're right actually.

R0nn said:
This could very well become the turning point for Sony in regards to going from mostly bad press to positive press.

goddamnit man, what are you trying to do? A statement like that is like the 'bat symbol' for the anti-Sony trolls around here... sheesh

R0nn

TheJollyCorner said:
goddamnit man, what are you trying to do? A statement like that is like the 'bat symbol' for the anti-Sony trolls around here... sheesh

Well they were already around here anyway, so...

It's not like they weren't already at their game.

Tieno

Dizzan said:
Or it's 'clever' marketting and has a double meaning. Such things are not totally unheard of.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I think the problem is the hype train..... Everyone already has this idea in their heads of huge announcements and the whole HOME concept so everything they see is automatically related. I expect a few new, cool announcements from GDC but I don't think it will be the Megatons some are expecting.

My advice..... calm the fark down

iceddomain said:
Wouldnt creating "new worlds" go right in with "home" after all, if it really is rumored to be achievements + miis and a host of other stuff, you kind of need developers to help with content from their games for this "world."

dude... don't get in front of the hype train! WOOWOOOOOOOO!

power_of_the_force.gif

*Playstation Home - PS3-PC-Handheld intercommunication framework, bringing filesharing back and forth between PS3 and your PC, chat , multimedia and video communication in a seamless enviroment complete with a dynamic virtual world and presence*

v1cious

Banned
Dizzan said:
I think the problem is the hype train..... Everyone already has this idea in their heads of huge announcements and the whole HOME concept so everything they see is automatically related. I expect a few new, cool announcements from GDC but I don't think it will be the Megatons some are expecting.

My advice..... calm the fark down

except Sony's using this as a means to sway developers; and with E3 downsized, what better place to do it? also Microsoft isn't keynoting, and Nintendo isn't allowed to disclose any megatons.

v1cious said:
except Sony's using this as a means to sway developers; and with E3 downsized, what better place to do it?

I will say that Sony really does need to bring the noise soon, if not here.
Developers with any grey matter will not be pulled in by "we promise xxxxxx PS3 systems in houses by the end of 2007" and Sony doesnt have the sheer penetration right now to fall back on that either.
They need to do something to bring in attention and to make devs overlook the costs and the risks and to jump in (heh).
They need to create some real excitement going into the PAL launch.

Not to make more of this than it is, but if you're going to get the interest of developers, or rather make developers take notice of what this device and service can do for them and of what the developers can do with this machine, then wouldn't the best method be to simply show what's possible? Say, like a demonstration of top tier PS3 software from top tier PS3 developers?

methane47

Imagine if each and every game had its own "HOME" where you could go there and everything would be themed for that game.. and you could stream developer video blogs, and commentary, and behind the scenes stuff... and download wallpapers and crap from the Game's "HOME" wouldn't that be tight?

KTallguy

Banned
methane47 said:
Imagine if each and every game had its own "HOME" where you could go there and everything would be themed for that game.. and you could stream developer video blogs, and commentary, and behind the scenes stuff... and download wallpapers and crap from the Game's "HOME" wouldn't that be tight?

OMG the HYPE!

Duke Togo

methane47 said:
That would be tight, toight like a toiga.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's not much, but here's a small tidbit from one of the sessions today, as reported by CVG:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159313

Sony Computer Entertainment is working on a number of episodic PlayStation 3 games to be revealed this year, says SCEA director of production John Hight.

"Mid-summer this year we'll be talking about some games that are episodic in nature," Hight said, speaking at the Independent Games Summit at GDC. "Some by design, more like interactive TV broadcasts and some to take content and spread it out"

Hight also said that thanks to procedurally generated content "some fairly small games may have hundreds of hours of play".

Dizzan

MINI Member
All I'm saying is that I've gotten myself hyped up way to many times at events where Sony has attended, only to be let down. *prays for megatons*

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Martoo said:
batmanbomb.gif

This one's going to be a fizzer.

One of the greatest movies ever made... and the commentary track omg what a keeper....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Episodic games? Hmmm.

I guess I wouldn't mind it if it was something like Heavy Rain, an improved vision behind Fahrenheit.

Ceb

methane47 said:

That would be cool. Would also kinda fit in with Julian Eggebrecht's talk about in-game access to message boards and other stuff.

Re: episodic games. Somehow I get the feeling 8 Days would be a perfect fit for that. Eight bite-sized chunks of 3-4 hours' worth of gaming, for $6.99 each. :D

Dizzan

MINI Member
Ceb said:
That would be cool. Would also kinda fit in with Julian Eggebrecht's talk about in-game access to message boards and other stuff.

Re: episodic games. Somehow I get the feeling 8 Days would be a perfect fit for that. Eight bite-sized chunks of 3-4 hours' worth of gaming, for $6.99 each. :D

Or uncharted: DF..... Lost anyone?

Chris_C

The problem with Sony and hype, is that it WILL be implemented, but only incrementally, and SO DAMN SLOWLY, that the euphoria of getting one big upgrade won't exist. Well, that's what they did with the PSP...

Could be different here though :)

Busty

Banned
Ceb said:

That's a good shout actually. I never thought of that. If I had to hazard a guess I'd have said that was a Blu Ray release without question.

But the way Sony's been going with their PSN ambitions, you never know.

Chris_C said:
The problem with Sony and hype, is that it WILL be implemented, but only incrementally, and SO DAMN SLOWLY, that the euphoria of getting one big upgrade won't exist. Well, that's what they did with the PSP...

Could be different here though :)

The purported timetable for HOME is not encouraging in this respect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chris_C said:
The problem with Sony and hype, is that it WILL be implemented, but only incrementally, and SO DAMN SLOWLY

Whatever about SLOWLY, the nature of an online service, any online service, pretty much demands incremental development. An online service should never be finished as such, it'll always be built upon.

As for the supposed launch timeframe, Fall seems reasonable given a GDC reveal. It's only 6 months away. If they waited until the day before launch to start talking about it, people would question their PR for not wanting to create a buzz earlier (if there's something buzz-worthy here in the first instance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom