• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hints at recent MGS and Silent Hill reboots/remakes rumours being true

bitbydeath

Ryan: We're really happy and proud of the PS Studios titles that have been released by Worldwide Studios. Some of them have already been announced, and others are in the works. SIE also has strong relationships with licenses in Japan, so we will continue to strengthen our ties with them and develop titles made in Japan for PlayStation fans around the world.
‘Them’ being the operative word.

Perrott

Gold Member
That quote could just mean what they're doing with the Final Fantasy timed/console exclusives, having marketing rights for the mainline Resident Evil games, probably pushing for some sort of PlayStation exclusivity with the next Persona game, etc.

I don't think that it relates to the Silent Hill/Metal Gear Solid stuff.

Last edited:
Last time you looked at hints that Ragnarok was releasing 2021 based on that dude's comment. Looking like that isn't the case (still not confirmed either way, to be fair)

I guess we'll see, but I don't think everything is cryptic in nature

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
finallyihaveanopportunitytopostthis_56f04b0ef34921a6099a2f87fc5fb5e2.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I believe it does. It states they’re going to continue making 3rd party licensed games. As above mentioned it could include Final Fantasy too but we are speaking in plural.

This is absolutely incorrect.

He's absolutely not talking about Licensed games. He's talking about "Lincensees" (Two "E"s ) which simply means third-party partner companies (IE: They have a license to produce games on PlayStation consoles).

If it was Sony to have the license to make games with their IP, Sony would be the Licensee, not Konami.

Incidentally, the wording is "Licensee-sama" (ライセンシー様) and Sama (honorific) is an absolute indicator that he's talking about companies, not games. You don't call a game or an IP "sama". That is reserved in Japanese to people or companies. So yeah. You're wrong and this thread is all kinds of a reach.

It does mean they have licenses to 3rd party Japanese games.

No. It does not. I understand that you may have been tricked by a mistranslation from some crap site, but in that case, you should really avoid reading or using as sources websites that falsely report from articles in Japanese without understanding a word of the language and resorting to Google translate. Those incompetents only create misinformation.

Last edited:
It does mean they have licenses to 3rd party Japanese games. But which ones is the actual question, MGS and Silent Hill since the rumours are so strong would be good guesses, hence the OP.
Jesus Christ OP, are you high again???

This is why you never put pumpkin seeds in your reefer. Just take a clean hit. Don't fuck with the product and the product won't fuck wit u.

Adding all this other stuff just fucks up your cerebrum and if you're not careful, your frontal cortex.

Last edited:
Sony recently invested in Kadokawa Corp. (Fromsoft), and has almost a 2% stake in the company now...

The deal has been made to enable the "creation, development, and acquisition" of new IP, as well as "maximise the value of the abundant IP that [Kadokawa] already owns."

Roufianos

Ah man, thanks for getting my hopes up. What's he meant to say? 'Japan ain't a focus for us'?

Lite a meaningless statement.

Pipoqueiro

I never played metal gear solid 1, One reason is because it’s a dated game, but 3 and 4 are one of my favorite's games

Soodanim

What you’ve done, OP, is make something based on what you want to hear. There’s no basis to think that “them” is referring to anything except that which he mentioned a few words prior, and anything else is fantasy.

bitbydeath

This is absolutely incorrect.

He's absolutely not talking about Licensed games. He's talking about "Lincensees" (Two "E"s ) which simply means third-party partner companies (IE: They have a license to produce games on PlayStation consoles).

If it was Sony to have the license to make games with their IP, Sony would be the Licensee, not Konami.

Incidentally, the wording is "Licensee-sama" (ライセンシー様) and Sama (honorific) is an absolute indicator that he's talking about companies, not games. You don't call a game or an IP "sama". That is reserved in Japanese to people or companies. So yeah. You're wrong and this thread is all kinds of a reach.

No. It does not. I understand that you may have been tricked by a mistranslation from some crap site, but in that case, you should really avoid reading or using as sources websites that falsely report from articles in Japanese without understanding a word of the language and resorting to Google translate. Those incompetents only create misinformation.
Why would someone license a company? Is that like the purchasing of shares from companies like Kadokawa?

OrionNebula

For fuck’s sake, this can be applied to so many other IPs/licenses as well it can’t even be narrowed down to even 20

It’s as ridiculous as saying it’s a direct nudge to Persona 6 or Nier 3 or something...

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Why would someone license a company? Is that like the purchasing of shares from companies like Kadokawa?

They are LicensEEs. They have the license to publish games for PlayStation. That's what LicensEE means. IE: Third-party developers and publishers. This is basic English, not Japanese. 🤔

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They are LicensEEs. They have the license to publish games for PlayStation. That's what LicensEE means. IE: Third-party developers and publishers. This is basic English, not Japanese. 🤔
I gather that’s all on the Japanese side because the English text states Sony will be developing third party games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I gather that’s all on the Japanese side because the English text states Sony will be developing third party games.

There's no "English text."

You literally copied a mistranslation by some bad site obviously made by someone who obviously doesn't speak a word of Japanese. The original text is only Japanese.

I’ll believe it when I’m playing them on my TV. MGS has a little better chance I think, but i don’t have much confidence in this Silent Hill anymore. Also, what in that quote indicates that Silent Hill and MGS are rumored games? I think Sony is just saying that they are supposedly going to work closer to the studios in Japan.

Seriously、some people have too much time on their hands and read too much in every little word they read.

I am sure at some point there will be a new Silent Hill game, because there were so many rumors about it, that it is hard to imagine there is no truth to it, but this statement does not hint at anything.

I expect Sony to snap up and collaborate with more fan favourite video gaming and anime properties. That seems to be their strategy going forward. 1st party blockbuster narrative driven games that can cross over to other media plus fan favourite Japanese properties that can appeal globally. Eventually more and more platform agnostic as their value will be in the properties they own and the consumers they reach. This PC thing is just the beginning so that consumers don’t riot. Then the releases will be for newer games and even same date of release, as long as the initial sales are good with the current first PC releases.

I’m biased since I’m a PS first gamer, so I hope at least they get MGS and Silent Hill.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You have a point.
But RE2 is the exception, really.

Most companies just remake stuff without proper care and consideration for the original material, especially if it's not even the same company responsible for developing it.

Yeah most do release ports and remakes without care and alot more will probably still release silly remakes and ports.

But this gen especially we’ve had a few good ones even if some are mostly graphical and FPS updates.

Games that had graphical remakes from the ground up but stayed mostly true to the original:

Spyro Trilogy
Crash trilogy
Crash Team racing
Shadow of Colossus
Demon Souls
Tony Hawks 1+2

Remakes which were different but mostly Good:

RE 2 remake,
RE 1 Remake ( gamecube hd port but still was a fantastic remake and one of my favourite games of all time)
Zelda Links Awakening
Pokemon: Pikachu and Evee ( left alot to be desired but still )
FF 7 Remake ( mixed reacts but still a good remake )
Ratchet and Clank 2016
Metroid Samus Returns
Yakuza Kiwami 1+2 ( 2 especially )

As long as we get New IP and good sequels I dont mind a good remake/port.
I really enjoy a good remaster and remake. Sometimes more than the originals or over new games At times.

A remake of MGS by bluepoint would be amazing but I think Id like some stuff added to it.

Top Bottom