• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I stopped gaming on PS4 when I built my first gaming build around 2014 - 2015

Now I hardly play it

And it has nothing to do with graphics. It just the freedom that PC Gaming gives me. I had to research how to use and apply mods. Ever since than I've been doing that, it's so much harder going back to a regular console. Even Nintendo Consoles

Also when more and more Japanese Companies started to develop for PCs too and not tie their games to one console which was usually on Playstation only is when I stopped playing on Playstation as much as I used to. One of the advantages of Playstation back than was that most of the Japanese Third Parties would only release their games on Playstation. Not anymore.

I'm going to do my next gaming build in 2025. And I'm not going for anything crazy when it comes to specs. But I'm never going back to Playstation. I'm done with them as a brand. And depending on what Nintendo does with Switch 2, I might skip that too
Yeah it used to be that PC was a third class citizen when it came to Japanese games. We’d get late half-assed ports of games that clearly weren’t designed with PC in mind (no ultrawide, 60FPS cap, game logic tied to framerate, weird shit like FFXIII mostly using a single core)

Nowadays PC is pretty much THE best platform for Japanese gaming. We get the definitive version of just about every JP game, most of them on day 1.

I still can’t live without a Switch though.

FunkMiller

LOL yeah guys, you heard it here. Waiting for PC ports = WASTING YOUR LIFE.

You’ll be filled with nothing but bitterness and regret as you lie wasting away, wishing you had purchased every quality PlayStation Studios (TM) title day 1 on your Sony PlayStation game console instead of foolishly squandering your limited time on this Earth.

'Do you think you lived a good life, my son?'

'NO! I didn't play Ghost Of Tsushima 2 until it had been out for 12 months!'

'Then you must go straight to hell, my son'.

DeaDPo0L84

I have a PS5 and a PC and still will wait for it to be on PC before playing any sequel. But I'm older and don't have that itch to have to play something right at release. I used to be concerned with spoilers or not being part of the launch hype circle but I have too many things going on in life beyond gaming to care.

SSfox

I know a few people that switched from pc to console this Gen for that and other reasons
Hum interesting. We will see even tho I'm not very confident about this weird strategy. Microsoft already played huge role on devaluing console gaming (at least theirs), Sony and Nintendo following this garbage strat is the last thing we need especially right now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What’s the biggest asset we all have? Time. You cannot buy, exchange, expand time. If you want to wait for things it’s fine. Perhaps when you get bit older you’ll understand it.
What wait? The Last of Us released 2013. Last of Us Part II released 2020. 7 year wait. I played Last of Us last year on PC. You think Sony is waiting until 2030 to release the Last of Us Part II on PC? If you didn't feel the need to get a Playstation for the games originally then the games are actually coming at you quicker.

Boss Mog

Not gonna happen sadly.

All you are doing is building a library for PC players.

Currently we have around 8+ games. The library will get better and better as time goes on.
And all you're doing is funding the next game that I'll get to play first, thanks.

SoloCamo

Buy a $500 console and pay full price for the day one release of a game inevitably full of issues as seems to be the case with 99% of launch titles..... or.... wait for it to come to PC, wait for it to be ironed out and wait for a lower price only to end up playing it on my superior hardware? Sony's strategy here is silly if they think that will make pc players buy a PS5. There are so many great games at this point I'm in no rush for day one disappointment.

And all you're doing is funding the next game that I'll get to play first, thanks.

Do you also post "first" in youtube comments?

Last edited:
Yeah it used to be that PC was a third class citizen when it came to Japanese games. We’d get late half-assed ports of games that clearly weren’t designed with PC in mind (no ultrawide, 60FPS cap, game logic tied to framerate, weird shit like FFXIII mostly using a single core)

Nowadays PC is pretty much THE best platform for Japanese gaming. We get the definitive version of just about every JP game, most of them on day 1.

I still can’t live without a Switch though.

I remember too that Era. I did start gaming on PC IN 2014 - 2015. The Japanese games weren't that well optimized. But I would still buy the Japanese Third Parties on Steam. Nier Automata is another example. I bought it for Steam and it had lot of issues I remember.

Trails of Cold Steel 3/4 were the last two games I played on PS4. And that's because I'm a huge Trails fan and at the time the franchise was exclusive to that system. Now that Falcom has gone full multiplatform, I no longer have a need to play on Playstation

As for Switch, ever since I got my Steamdeck OLED, I've been playing that more. Not to say I hate the Switch now. For me it has nothing to do with the graphical power of the Switch and has everything to do with the Steamdeck being a Linux PC. As I said before, I love the freedom that PC gives me when it comes to gaming

Going forward, I will buy mostly first party games on Switch. But when it comes to Third Parties. If the game

1. It's fully uncensored

2. Localization isn't woke

3. It runs good on the Switch. As in framerate is 30 to 60 FPS. Has fast loading times etc. Examples: 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, Unicorn Overlord and Nier Automata Ver1.1a

If it's all of these I tend to get the Switch version. If not I get the Steam version

Also I still love my Switch

I'm fine with Switch 2 if the Specs are XBONE/PS4 Graphics paired with modern hardware. But I think Switch 2 might be my last console. I can see Nintendo going the Sony route when it comes to censorship and I mean censoring Japanese Third Parties.

But yeah if that happens Switch 2 will be my last console and I'm perfectly fine with not playing Nintendo first party like I'm fine with not playing Sony first party that are still exclusive. Same with games that are Third Party like Stella Blade. If that game never comes out on Steam, I'm fine with that. For me FOMO isn't really a thing for me anymore.

I'm buying less and less game on day one each year and I just wait on sales

That's another thing Law of Diminishing Returns is a thing for me

But that's just my two cents

Last edited:

geary

Not gonna happen sadly.

All you are doing is building a library for PC players.

Currently we have around 8+ games. The library will get better and better as time goes on.
For the new PS accounts, give them the on PS the games they own on pc as free.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's all relative. Unless you're adamant in comparing games to heroin.

You brought up the analogy and im telling you its a terrible false equivalence, because of the actual effects of drugs vs the effects of single player games you havent even played yet.

Why shorten when PC gamers claim they have no problem waiting a few years?
They make profit off PC releases as is.

I'm sure Sony is well aware of that, even more than us.

Whether they do or dont shorten is up to them.
What im saying is they are far far more likely to shorten than lengthen port times resources allowing.

If Nixxes is purely a port studio and their general port time is currently one year, for any release Sony feels will do well, they will hand it over to Nixxess sooner rather than later.

But as I said its resources allowing, Nixxes atleast for now isnt going to start a port job while a game is in active development, so its safe to assume the earliest we will see one of their ports is one year later.....which is still a shortening from the usual 4 years and the newer 2 years.

So far most games have been about 4 years later....Rift Apart and Forbidden West were 2 years.

If we look at what they are likely working on:
Ragnarok.
The Last of Us 2.
Spider-Man 2.

Then they are pretty clear to start working on whatever Sonys next tentpole title is Wolverine maybe......that wait might be the first less the 2 years to PC title as they clear the backlog.

Killjoy-NL

You brought up the analogy and im telling you its a terrible false equivalence, because of the actual effects of drugs vs the effects of single player games you havent even played yet.
Or maybe you just start sounding like a junkie in denial.

Or maybe recreational-user is more fitting.

But whatever. Like I said, idc either way.
Whether they do or dont shorten is up to them.
What im saying is they are far far more likely to shorten than lengthen port times resources allowing.

If Nixxes is purely a port studio and their general port time is currently one year, for any release Sony feels will do well, they will hand it over to Nixxess sooner rather than later.

But as I said its resources allowing, Nixxes atleast for now isnt going to start a port job while a game is in active development, so its safe to assume the earliest we will see one of their ports is one year later.....which is still a shortening from the usual 4 years and the newer 2 years.

So far most games have been about 4 years later....Rift Apart and Forbidden West were 2 years.

If we look at what they are likely working on:
Ragnarok.
The Last of Us 2.
Spider-Man 2.

Then they are pretty clear to start working on whatever Sonys next tentpole title is Wolverine maybe......that wait might be the first less the 2 years to PC title as they clear the backlog.
Ofcourse, people need to build a library first anyway.

Wasn't it you who said that PC gamers will just build a library? That's the goal rn.
Whatever Sony does in the future, that library will be key.

And if you're right, it will be a win for all parties involved.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I mean a 2 years old game is not the hottest game anymore.there would be other Games which are hyped and played that time so it’s Not the Most relevant anymore
Of course they have not and a Great Game will always be great. But lots of people will move on to other Games newer Games.This will be very evidente if the Game has an multiplayer component
and how and why could this "relevance" affect my enjoyment of a game?

Shin-Ra

This strategy is moronic.

Instead of building an improving library of exclusives 10, 20, 30+ strong as the generation goes on, they’ve just got Astro Bot, Demon’s Souls and whichever few games they (and third party) haven’t got round to porting yet.

When PS6 releases it won’t have nearly a full generation of back-compat and port/remasterable PS5 exclusives backing it up in addition to new PS6 games. They’re devaluing their current and future consoles more as time goes on.

It used to be a no-brainer, people that like the console experience need a PlayStation by mid-gen with the variety of released and upcoming exclusives. They’re killing that on the balance that more impatient PC players will switch (at least temporarily) to PS5 for the latest games than PS5 players lose interest in the platform and future platforms.

Instead of staying in control of their own platform and content, they’re at risk of losing it to an evolving PC platform. Minimal accessory sales, no 30% cut of third party game sales and if they think they’re launching a PC storefront competitive with Steam they’re just as deluded as Microsoft before they eventually launched content on Steam.

Their charge for online play and convenient PS5 (cloud-only) save backup looks petty as this is all offered for free in PC versions. They’re working against themselves. Even features added to PC versions, like ultra-wide support that PS5 can obviously optionally support with letterboxing, like Death Stranding, aren’t added to the PS5 version, making the original developers of those games look bad with poor ‘after support’. Again working against themselves.

SteadyEvo

Again, with xbox competition melting away, I think Sony should look for distance from PC now...

GAAS - OK whatever.

But the major single and "closed" MP type games should revert to being console only - I think Sony should double down on exclusivity again.

Sony have to back themselves to be able to produce 1st and 2nd party exclusive content that is desirable enough to sell consoles. There is boredom and hubris in AAA gaming, and an opportunity for Sony to capitalise on that by making games which are only playable and possible on their consoles.

If they can't do that, and become just another multiplat game publisher then they are going to face reduced revenues just like Xbox, except Sony cannot as a Corp afford that outcome.
You’re assuming PS5 owners are going to suddenly stop 🛑 buying story based 1st party games because they’ll release on PC in a year. Highly doubt that’s gonna happen.

You’re also assuming all PS5 owners would rather play on PC. I’ve been gaming for 32 years and think PC gaming is ridiculous. I just don’t see the appeal. Computers remind me of work, not gaming.

hemo memo

Gold Member
What’s the biggest asset we all have? Time. You cannot buy, exchange, expand time. If you want to wait for things it’s fine. Perhaps when you get bit older you’ll understand it.
The same money you earned by spending time working? You realize that is also time right?

PaintTinJr

This strategy is moronic.

Instead of building an improving library of exclusives 10, 20, 30+ strong as the generation goes on, they’ve just got Astro Bot, Demon’s Souls and whichever few games they (and third party) haven’t got round to porting yet.

When PS6 releases it won’t have nearly a full generation of back-compat and port/remasterable PS5 exclusives backing it up in addition to new PS6 games. They’re devaluing their current and future consoles more as time goes on.

It used to be a no-brainer, people that like the console experience need a PlayStation by mid-gen with the variety of released and upcoming exclusives. They’re killing that on the balance that more impatient PC players will switch (at least temporarily) to PS5 for the latest games than PS5 players lose interest in the platform and future platforms.

Instead of staying in control of their own platform and content, they’re at risk of losing it to an evolving PC platform. Minimal accessory sales, no 30% cut of third party game sales and if they think they’re launching a PC storefront competitive with Steam they’re just as deluded as Microsoft before they eventually launched content on Steam.

Their charge for online play and convenient PS5 (cloud-only) save backup looks petty as this is all offered for free in PC versions. They’re working against themselves. Even features added to PC versions, like ultra-wide support that PS5 can obviously optionally support with letterboxing, like Death Stranding, aren’t added to the PS5 version, making the original developers of those games look bad with poor ‘after support’. Again working against themselves.
Yep and even if they can somehow sidestep that issue at PS6 launch, they still aren't seeing the iceberg of people like my friends that have recently got into high end PC that will still buy the PS6 at launch, but will then decide after 6months of waiting for the new gen promise software will slip straight back to PC gaming and sell off the PS6, resulting in buying 20 less games that gen, and buying less PS+ subs, controllers.

And of course who is going to care about the great PS6 tech reveal next time round - when even after the amazing work of Cerny and the hardware team this gen there's no evidence of software actually using the hardware beyond the generic setup of discrete CPU and GPU without a highspeed storage controller?

Crayon

Well I hope they aren't misunderstanding real pcmr gamers. Maybe the many people playing games on their laptops could think about it? Yeah, anyway best of luck to them with that. For years now, every hardware review I've seen has at least one of their games in it. So at least the recognition of those ip's is growing on the pc side.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yep and even if they can somehow sidestep that issue at PS6 launch, they still aren't seeing the iceberg of people like my friends that have recently got into high end PC that will still buy the PS6 at launch, but will then decide after 6months of waiting for the new gen promise software will slip straight back to PC gaming and sell off the PS6, resulting in buying 20 less games that gen, and buying less PS+ subs, controllers.

And of course who is going to care about the great PS6 tech reveal next time round - when even after the amazing work of Cerny and the hardware team this gen there's no evidence of software actually using the hardware beyond the generic setup of discrete CPU and GPU without a highspeed storage controller?
Consoles used to be the clear choice for convenience. Today playing on PC is much easier than ever before. Somehow they believe PC players are going to spend more to get less?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well I hope they aren't misunderstanding real pcmr gamers. Maybe the many people playing games on their laptops could think about it? Yeah, anyway best of luck to them with that. For years now, every hardware review I've seen has at least one of their games in it. So at least the recognition of those ip's is growing on the pc side.
They’ll buy a Steamdeck.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I know a few people that switched from pc to console this Gen for that and other reasons
Switching from a PC to a console to play shit like Ragnarok and Forbidden West while losing all the perks of having a PC? Sure.

The opposite is far more likely to happen.

Last edited:
Switching from a PC to a console to play shit like Ragnarok and Forbidden West while losing all the perks of having a PC? Sure.

The opposite is far more likely to happen.

The people I know that played on PC only did so because it offered 60 fps for most games or they just only had access to a low end PC for work or school and happened to get into gaming with it to start and decided they really liked it but wanted to play it on their couch

This generation, 60 fps is basically 100% standard on most games.

The “perks” of PC gaming really only apply to non-mainstream consumers and enthusiasts. These are not a big crowd and are not the people I am talking about.

Those perks are an annoyance and drawback to the people I’m discussing and it’s why they moved on to console instead

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The people I know that played on PC only did so because it offered 60 fps for most games or they just only had access to a low end PC for work or school and happened to get into gaming with it to start and decided they really liked it but wanted to play it on their couch

This generation, 60 fps is basically 100% standard on most games.

The “perks” of PC gaming really only apply to non-mainstream consumers and enthusiasts. These are not a big crowd and are not the people I am talking about.

Those perks are an annoyance and drawback to the people I’m discussing and it’s why they moved on to console instead
Ah, yes, those obscure perks such as free online, backwards compatibility that go all the way back to the beginning of gaming, free cloud saves, a much larger library, emulation, and a boatload of other stuff are an annoyance and a drawback. These friends of yours all suddenly left because 60fps that's still available on PC is also now available on consoles.

This logic makes no sense.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, those obscure perks such as free online, backwards compatibility that go all the way back to the beginning of gaming, free cloud saves, a much larger library, emulation, and a boatload of other stuff are an annoyance and a drawback. These friends of yours all suddenly left because 60fps that's still available on PC is also now available on consoles.

This logic makes no sense.

The “perks” of having to pay a lot more for competent hardware, software that stutters or bugs out more than on console, far more settings and things to tweak, a large ass tower footprint that’s loud, hot, and noisy and not conducive to couch gaming

Christ dude, step outside your bubble for once and realize there’s no obvious one way decision here and that others have different preferences

Zathalus

Are you daft to think they are just going to give up on gaming altogether instead of getting a more stable, optimized experience?
I know people who have the specs way under a PS5 and the thought of buying a PS5 never even crossed their minds.

Yes the PS5 is cheap, but mouse and keyboard support sucks, tons of PC exclusives are not on it, and it fundamentally doesn't do the things PC gamers expect to be a minimum.

Top Bottom