• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is the best publisher of the decade

kretos

Banned
Winning 3 consecutive GOTY awards and 5 goty awards in the last 10 years that makes Sony the undisputed king and the dominant champion of publishers. even if you hate Sony you can't deny the quality of their output and blockbusters, what do you think gaf?

Goggk2j.jpg

Last edited:
It definitely is. I just wish they would mix things up a bit and bring back some of their FPS titles like a Killzone 2 reboot, a Resistance reboot and especially a MAG reboot because God knows the PS5 could really show what MAG can do. They also really fucked up not acquiring Ready at Dawn for a more fleshed out, The Order 1886 sequel. And hopefully the rumors are true and that secretive San Diego studio is working on a new Uncharted game. One last thing fucking reboot Socom and take advantage of the built in microphone of the Dualsense controller! Come on Sony!

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
The fuck is a movie game? I never got the argument, yeah they have a strong narrative focus and set piece moments but the majority of the likes of Spider-Man, GOW, Days Gone, HZD, TLOU2 are pure gameplay, and they're pretty damn amazing gameplay wise too! Stop being so salty and accept the facts!

Get Dripped Playboi Carti GIF by Lil Yachty

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
The consistency of their output is remarkable. It takes a lot of really hard work and dedication to get to such a level.

That said, I often prefer mechanics over narrative personally. Still enjoying most of their games a lot.

Krisprolls

Banned
If you like that kind of games, sure. But I like games games. Not movie games.

I don't know. It doesn't make much sense to say that. This is the best way to tell a story, what Sony does. And their gameplay is great too.

Look at Cyberpunk. It definitely looks like a linear action adventure game most of the times too, just with less bells and whistles in scenes than in a ND game and a barebone open world setting instead of a more controlled and polished environment.

You follow NPCs telling their story while walking, your decisions just advance the story without influencing it much, there are emotional scenes between characters... It's a "walking simulator" too.

I liked this game too. It's just a good way to tell stories. But it's not very different to what Sony does. It's extremely linear too.

And that makes sense. It's either that or you give up on telling a story and it either feels more disjointed, or it feels like old school games. Which is fine too.

But I don't see a way we'd get great narratives without some form of linearity and controlled environments.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They’ve had a great 11 years since Uncharted 2 2009.

Nintendo has had some awesome hits too. Mario galaxy, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc

From Software is a top Dog too with Hits like Demon and Dark Souls 1 and 3, Sekiro, Bloodborne.

Not many publishers have multiple game of the year hits In a span of a few years And been as consistent as Sony and the above

Last edited:

bxrz

I don't know. It doesn't make much sense to say that. This is the best way to tell a story, what Sony does. And their gameplay is great too.

Look at Cyberpunk. It definitely looks like a linear action adventure game most of the times too, just with less bells and whistles in scenes than in a ND game and a barebone open world setting instead of a more controlled and polished environment.

You follow NPCs telling their story while walking, your decisions just advance the story without influencing it much, there are emotional scenes between characters... It's a "walking simulator" too.

I liked this game too. It's just a good way to tell stories. But it's not very different to what Sony does. It's extremely linear too.

Anf that makes sense. It's either that or you give up on telling a story and it either feels more disjointed, or it feels like old school games. Which is fine too.

But I don't see a way we'd get great narratives without some form of linearity and controlled environments.
Cyberpunk is not a linear walking simulator lol

If it is, I need to know how you describe TLOU2 and Death Stranding

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
That's why I m there day one for all their consoles. Xbox was better than playstation for me till around 2010/2011 . In 2011 I switched to Ps and have been loving them more and more each year (first year and half of ps4 was bad but that's all forgiven 😅)
The only period Xbox was "better" than Playstation in terms of games was at the start of the PS3 era for its first 2-3 years.

During the PS2 years Xbox was nothing more than a fly on PS2's back and from 2009 and afterwards PS3 started to pretty much destroy the Xbox360 in terms of exclusives and variety of games.

The fuck is a movie game? I never got the argument, yeah they have a strong narrative focus and set piece moments but the majority of the likes of Spider-Man, GOW, Days Gone, HZD, TLOU2 are pure gameplay, and they're pretty damn amazing gameplay wise too! Stop being so salty and accept the facts!

Get Dripped Playboi Carti GIF by Lil Yachty

A movie game is not a video game. Don't you understand?????

angry cartoon network GIF

P.S I never understood that argument.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, they won 3 consecutive GotY awards from particular event, which is less an awards show and more an extended advertisement.

That said, they have been on a roll for sure, though I'd give publisher and developer of the decade to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Do you like a game more if it gets more awards (or in this case - the publisher)? Do you not think for yourself but rather need someone else to tell you what to like & dislike, what to think? Very weird mentality.

Wait, Death Stranding won game of the year? Wtf? That’s ridiculous lol.

However, Sony definitely know what they’re doing in terms of sales and inspiring weirdly loyal players, it’s undeniable. Personally I find many of their games pretty soulless (in terms of gameplay, not story) more style than substance, but it’s definitely working for them, you cannot deny that.

I like to finish games if I start them, but I have a whole slew of half finished PS4 games - way more than on any other console I’ve ever owned. Horizon, Persona, GOW, Detroit, Days Gone, The Order - just some I’ve started and abandoned. And most aren’t even long games.

Give me more Everybody’s Golf and Ratchet and Clank and less of the other stuff and I’ll be happier. Sony games have lost that sense of ‘fun’ for me I think in the PS4 era.

Krisprolls

Banned
Cyberpunk is not a linear walking simulator lol

If it is, I need to know how you describe TLOU2 and Death Stranding

Of course it is linear, like TLoU2 or Death Stranding. There's nothing to do in the open world except starting quests which are... linear gameplay where you listen to NPCs. Like in a ND game.

You walk a lot with NPCs talking or wait a lot for NPCs to talk, like in a ND game.

None of the quest gameplay happens in the open world, the enemies are always placed by hand in controlled rooms... Like in a ND game.

Then you play planned gameplay sequences with a certain level of freedom inside the controlled room / environment... Like in a ND game.

You can choose the order in which you play the linear side quests (not in the main quest obviously), but that's all. The structure of the game is the same. It's an action adventure game with a linear story.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
I'n not in their audience, that's for sure. Your argument is the same as saying 'Universal Studios is the best because they won the most oscars this decade'.
Or 'this record company is the best because they have Beyonce, Justin Timberlake and Kayne West'.

A turd is still a turd, and I'll not enjoy it just because Geoff Keighley and Simon Cowell say it's great.

Not the GOTY from The Game Awards. Sekiro won that one. However Death Stranding did win plenty of GOTYs from other places.
I played it a bit on the PC - didn’t hate it, but I wouldn’t say it was even game of the month, never mind GOTY. Must go back to it at some point as I found the story kind of intriguing in a wtf kind of way...

JonkyDonk

Being the best at getting awards from the media doesn't necessarily make you the best publisher, but Sony does do very well when it comes to putting out quality titles.

Top Bottom