• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is the best publisher of the decade

THEAP99

Banned
Winning 5 consecutive GOTY awards and 7 goty awards in the last 10 years that makes Nintendo the undisputed king and the dominant champion of publishers. even if you hate Nintendo you can't deny the quality of their output and blockbusters, what do you think gaf?

Bildschirmfoto-2020-12-23-um-23-17-56.png

Wikipedia as a source, seriously? Dude most people have never heard of those games outside of Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Mario, and smash. And yet, I don't think any of those even won tons of game of the year awards outside of Zelda which isn't even a new IP.

Wikipedia as a source, seriously? Dude most people have never heard of those games outside of Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Mario, and smash. And yet, I don't think any of those even won tons of game of the year awards outside of Zelda which isn't even a new IP.
Good job missing the point entirely.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Winning 3 consecutive GOTY awards and 5 goty awards in the last 10 years that makes Sony the undisputed king and the dominant champion of publishers. even if you hate Sony you can't deny the quality of their output and blockbusters, what do you think gaf?

Goggk2j.jpg

Sony = a few great AAA

tons of mediocre outputs

That's why they have average meta, open critics score as publishers. Their outputs quality is extremely unbalanced.

Sony = average publisher.

Warablo

They make good adventure games. Almost like a refined Ubisoft games in titles like Ghost and Horizon. I will say GOTY award favors those type of story games. Especially ones that try to be emotional.

Last edited:

InDaGulag

In terms of AAA games? Yeah. It helps they own a huge gaming platform and so don't have to rely on MTX and gambling to fund their development costs. Unlike Ubisoft, 2K, etc.

But in terms of average critical reception for their entire output, then they're outperformed by Capcom, Nintendo, and Devolver for me. Not every game needs to be AAA blockbusters to be great.

Codes 208

I’ve preferred Nintendo’s lineup overall this passed decade but tbf, bloodborne is easily my GotG and demon souls alone was enough to make me buy a ps5, and it was really friggin good (and I hated the og DeS)

Raonak

Banned
Yep, they are absolutely on FIRE.

Their games are highly polished, rarely have bugs, and they generally lack microtransactions.

The fact they released TLOU2, Dreams, GOT, Spiderman, Sackboy and Demons in one year is nuts.

As someone who grew up on PS1 classics like MGS, I really appreciate that their games give you compelling gameplay contextualized in a good story. It makes their games very memorable, and elevates the experience.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

MS dropped the ball the moment they saw the sales of Kinnect back in 2010, but now they are ready for a comeback. And Nintendo just doesn’t care since 1996. So there is really not much competition. They win for default but I’m not crazy about making a TLoU of a hack and slash like GoW or the sheer amount of open world games they do.

So you have the cinematic or the open world. Or the cinematic open world. They dropped WipEout and MotorStorm. They let Hennig go (a movement on par with letting Bungie go), giving total control to Drukman but the creative mind was her all along. They ditched her version of U4.

They dismantled all what remained of Psygnosis. They let Shoho team go. They teased a Getaway that never came. Canned 8 Days. Disbanded Evolution and Liverpool. London is basically a shovel-ware factory. Japan studio output is animic. They let Genova Chen and Fumito Ueda go. The guy who made puppeteer has spend years helping with the remake of Demons Souls instead of making new ideas.

I’m still a Sony boy but sincerely it’s because this industry is so in shambles now that even their tiresome formula is better than the wasteland of “fuck a map or Call of Duty” that there is out there.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
In terms of AAA games? Yeah. It helps they own a huge gaming platform and so don't have to rely on MTX and gambling to fund their development costs. Unlike Ubisoft, 2K, etc.

But in terms of average critical reception for their entire output, then they're outperformed by Capcom, Nintendo, and Devolver for me. Not every game needs to be AAA blockbusters to be great.
Not only Capcom or Nintendo.

Many publishers have better overall reception than Sony (they more or less reach the top 10 which is quite good).

Sony has chosen to focus on a few titles (even some of their AAA are average like Days Gone...imagine the results for all unknown Sony games with less budget and attention)and fans focus on these games to make a point.

Last edited:
The only period Xbox was "better" than Playstation in terms of games was at the start of the PS3 era for its first 2-3 years.

During the PS2 years Xbox was nothing more than a fly on PS2's back and from 2009 and afterwards PS3 started to pretty much destroy the Xbox360 in terms of exclusives and variety of games.
Indeed. To go even further, Playstation has dominated since the PS1. Nothing came close, sure we had 360's strong first years and Wii being a commercial hit but besides that Playstation was and is the undisputed king of console gaming for 25 years now.

AmuroChan

The last 2/3 of PS4's life cycle was filled with hits after hits. Sony rebounded really well from an iffy start in the games department after the likes of Knack, Killzone, and The Order. To end the generation with three critically acclaimed first party exclusives (Dreams, TLOU II, Ghost) is very impressive.

Last edited:

puffzor

Banned

You can argue capcom and nintendo but devolver?? Devolver is defined by a few good cult classics among a sea of meh.

sublimit

Banned
Indeed. To go even further, Playstation has dominated since the PS1. Nothing came close, sure we had 360's strong first years and Wii being a commercial hit but besides that Playstation was and is the undisputed king of console gaming for 25 years now.
You really start to realize how big Playstation dominated the last 25 years when you listen to old people (65+ year olds) talking about what their sons or grandchildren play as "playstation" even if in reality they are playing on Nintendo or Xbox. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Playstation's brand name has become much bigger and recognizable than even Sony itself.

InDaGulag

You can argue capcom and nintendo but devolver?? Devolver is defined by a few good cult classics among a sea of meh.

I'll admit I have a fondness for quirky indie games. It's all I played for a long time as I was short on money and Steam indie sales were plentiful.

Jtibh

Banned
Avid hater of last of us 2 till i got around the pr bullshit and got into the game for good.
Even a lesbo revenge drama turned out to be a highly enjoyable game.

Days gone was a broken piece of shit till the patches came out and it easily became my goty of 2019.

I could go on and on how well sony pulls off even the most hated games.

And maybe you dumbnuts should stop with the ps3 era cinematic walking simulator crap and all cutscenes no gameplay bull cuz every single sony exclusive ran me from 20 to 100 hours of gameplay.

God of war 3 lasted 8 hours but god of war lasted me over 40.

Days gone and horizon over 80 plus hours to complete everything and get platinum.

Sony this gen after a rocky start gave us hits after hits.

And it already started strong with demon souls remake. And its always funy how these pc and xbox dudes shitting all over it that its a remake yet they would praise it if it would be multiplat.

You see i read very little about how sony fans trash good xbox games but xbox duded constantly trash sony games even the ones that are in the high 90's and won a bunch of awards.

And to nintendo fans still wanking off to btow after soo many years is just pathetic .
Yes its a good game but to compare nintendo to sony is a joke.
What you have one highly acclaimed game yet sony has more dozens.....give me a break

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
What the fuck? Death Stranding actually won the most GOTY awards for 2019? 😆😆

Anyways Sony has been a great publisher but far from the best imho. I wouldn’t replay any of the games high on these lists from them, not including of course trash like Death Stranding which I didn’t even finish once.

Remedy for example, makes games just as good and I’ll actually replay them. Also CDPR. Witcher was amazing and I’ll actually play it more than once. Cyberpunk is great and I am already excited for another play through. Exact opposite of Sony titles which I play once and never care to go back.

kyliethicc

Winning 3 consecutive GOTY awards and 5 goty awards in the last 10 years that makes Sony the undisputed king and the dominant champion of publishers. even if you hate Sony you can't deny the quality of their output and blockbusters, what do you think gaf?

Goggk2j.jpg

100% agree

Sony is "best" less for games like Last of Us II, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima etc, and much more because of games like Gravity Rush, Pupeteer, Tomorrow Children, Resogun, etc.
These little games are the ones that makes a difference to add flavour to a platform and the ones that need the push of a big publisher.

Krisprolls

Banned

Goggk2j.jpg

Yes, they're the best. Haters gonna hate, even in this thread. But facts are facts, they get most of the awards these days, as they should.

And the gap with other publishers will only increase now on PS5. This console is a technical marvel already outperforming the competition. I can't wait to see the incredible games their studios will build with that.

Haters are in for another long and rough generation.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whether you like their games and consoles or not, you cannot deny that they deliver a quality experience, every time. They know where the market is, they know what sells and what their fans enjoy and they keep smashing it out of the park.

I can’t agree. Their games are very hit/miss with only a few being truly standout releases (but when they do stand out, they do it well).

InDaGulag

Gaming is going through a phase similar to back when only artsy period films were winning Oscars. For gaming it's third person linear cinematic experiences.

That's been the case for a looong time now. A lot of gamers are triggered by shit like Among Us, Animal Crossing, Hades, etc.

They need all their games to be super serious and for grown adult hardcore gamers only. No kids or casuals. No bright colours. No multiplayer centric gameplay. No indies. Only big ass AAA singleplayer extravaganzas.

It's starting to wear off. The fact both Hades and Animal Crossing were nominated for game of the year shows the culture is changing.

Shut0wen

Depends on if you class goty as a resemble show that has merit because it doesnt, its meant to be the oscars of video games yet indie movies receive a good chances of winning oscars while on the goty they dont have a chance and have there own category, its basically saying the only way you can win is if your game has a massive budget, plus ive never played last of us 2 nor have i played animal crossing but i do believe animal crossing should of won purely for the amount of join it given to all types of gamers during these hard times

Krisprolls

Banned
Gaming is going through a phase similar to back when only artsy period films were winning Oscars. For gaming it's third person linear cinematic experiences.

Yes, I'm surprised the awards don't go to Xbox exclusive 60s and 70s-rated marvels instead, like Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves. Or to generic Ubi crap like WD Legion.

It's almost like Sony games are better. That could explain why they both rate and sell better.

Last edited:
Definitely, it’s not even debatable. People running into this thread talking about how they hate “movie games” are embarrassing. The thread has nothing to do with what you like personally, you can dislike things and still acknowledge the care used to create them and the quality behind them. When it comes to quality and consistency it can’t be denied that Sony is ahead of the pack this decade at least. Other publishers have amazing games but not all of them are consistently in the run up for GOTY awards and accolades like Sony’s games. Their back to back GOTY wins and nominations this decade speak for itself.

Last edited:

Ogbert

I just can't with all these "but the gameplay sucks" comments,such nonsense.

GoW has great gameplay and Spiderman is fun.

But as for Naughty Dog, pressing triangle to climb is not exciting gameplay. Especially stretched out over 30 hours.

Brofist

Yes, I'm surprised the awards don't go to Xbox exclusive 60s and 70s-rated marvels instead like Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves. Or to generic Ubi crap like WD Legion.

It's almost like Sony games are better. That could explain why they both rate and sell better.

Sheesh calm down, I'm not saying they are better or worse. I'm just saying that type of game catches the attention of gaming awards.

I don't give af about those Xbox games you mentioned.

Why no mention of Nintendo games that typically score better and sell better than your Sony games.

Last edited:

Ogbert

When it comes to quality and consistency it can’t be denied that Sony is ahead of the pack this decade at least.

Of course it can be denied. Depends what you mean by 'quality'.

Do they create the most polised? Yes.

Are they the best games? No, not necessarily.

It's a bit like saying Marvel Movies are the best full stop. Well, sure, if you like eye candy and a crowd pleaser. But they're not necessarily pushing what's great about cinema.

S73v3

Banned
I'm really pickey, I can't say they make the games I like but they definitely have their groove in the market, it is feasible to say they are the best publisher of 10 to 20.

Honestly tho, they published the only game post 10 that I played heavily for 4 years and for 1000s of hours (BB) even tho their other works are mediocre to me, I say they very might be my fav publisher this decade lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me they are not, they completely ignored their Japanese first party games in favour of their western games because they "sell more". If Sony start only supporting games that do big numbers then we are going to have boring ass selection.

Of course it can be denied. Depends what you mean by 'quality'.

Do they create the most polised? Yes.

Are they the best games? No, not necessarily.

It's a bit like saying Marvel Movies are the best full stop. Well, sure, if you like eye candy and a crowd pleaser. But they're not necessarily pushing what's great about cinema.
I think it’s pretty obvious I mean it in terms of polish otherwise I wouldn’t go through the trouble of speaking about how personal taste doesn’t factor into this. You can dislike something and still admit it has a lot of polish and quality behind it. I don’t know why people find it so hard differentiating their personal taste from quality. There are many things that are well made from a craftsmanship point of view that I dislike especially in gaming but I have no problem admitting they are made with a lot of care and attention paid to their quality.

For example, I hate RTSs but I can’t say a game like MIcrosoft Age of Empires isn’t a quality game for those that love the genre. You can dislike movie games and still agree Sony games have a certain quality and polish to the people that like cinematic games otherwise they wouldn’t be receiving accolades and selling consoles and copies the way they do. “Best games” the way you describe it is too subjective. What may be a great game to you may be mediocre to others.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Why no mention of Nintendo games that typically score better and sell better than your Sony games.
Nintendo is a good publisher too obviously, but they don't release many games and it's usually a lot of Mario and Zelda always rehashed like another Mario Kart or another Smash Bros or another Mario Party, or another Animal Crossing. BOTW at least brought something new, but if people consider Sony going stale, I don't know what we should say about Nintendo after so many Mario and Zelda games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom