• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: PS5 4.9 m; Spider-Man 2 5.0 m

zedinen

PS5

1H FY 8.2 m

LTD 46.6 m

FY23 Target 25 m

3CnXva3.jpg

HL9qZI6.jpg

Spider-Man 2

RM7hq2k.jpg

Q2

DcV9SMs.jpg

Forecast

Jo8zZHh.jpg

Sales Breakdown

4v0mhNM.jpg

Inventory

h02k4sN.jpg

Last edited:
Hardware sales are up 1.6 million year over year for the quarter and after Q2 totals 8.2 million versus 5.7 million last fiscal year.

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 2nd quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 4.9 million the PS5 shipped is 1 million up on PS4's 3.9 million. After 12 quarters PS5 totals 46.6 million compared to 47.6 million for PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is only 1 million down on PS4.

9hvIFoN.png

lvGKQPy.png

PS5 versus current competitors

After 12 quarters PS5 totals 46.6 million compared to 25.3 million (est) for XBS and 52.48 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 21.3 million (est) up on XBS and 5.88 million down on NSW. It should be noted that PS5's Q3 is one quarter after NSW's when launch aligned so the PS5 should catch up after it's next quarter.

AikR0Wf.png

WArVAlI.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.

Last edited:

vivftp

·(ー) Impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles

Sony has confirmed that titles scheduled for FY23 have been pushed out. Think we're almost certainly looking at TLOU Online and maybe Twisted Metal.

Destiny 2 The Final Shape and Stellar Blade are the two most likely candidates. TLOU Online is also a strong candidate. Twisted Metal probably wasn't meant for this FY since the game had to switch studios a while back, so they probably knew it wasn't going to land around the time of the TV show just because of that.

The first half already puts them 2.5M ahead vs FY22 1H, They are well on track.

2.5M ahead of FY22 isn't going to be enough to get to 25 million. They have to sell 3.4 million on top of what they did in FY22 which was already a really strong result. They'll need to more than match PS4/5 record highs for Q3 and Q4.

FF7R2 probably won't be able to carry it in Q4.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hardware sales are up 1.6 million year over year and after Q2 total 8.2 million versus 5.7 million last fiscal year.

Versus PS4

For the 2nd quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 4.9 million the PS5 shipped is 1.00 million up on PS4's 3.9 million. After 12 quarters PS5 totals 46.6 million compared to 47.6 million for PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 1 million down on PS4.

9hvIFoN.png

to32ph4.png

PS5 versus current competitors

After 12 quarters PS5 totals 46.6 million compared to 25.3 million (est) for XBS and 52.48 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 21.30 million (est) up on XBS and 5.88 million down on NSW. It should be noted that PS5's Q3 is one quarter after NSW's so the PS5 should catch up in it's next quarter.

AikR0Wf.png

WArVAlI.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.
I, of course, don't know about your estimation method, so I'm not questioning it.

But according to my estimates, XBS is nowhere close to ~25M.
  • XBS was estimated to be at ~18.5 million by Dec 2022.
  • It sold roughly ~8.5 million in 2022 (Jan-Dec), so approximately 0.7M per month.
  • And has been down since then in 2023 YoY.
  • ~25M would mean XBS has already sold ~6.5 million in 9 months, or 0.72 per month - which we know can't be the case as XBS is approx. ~20% down YoY.

They did 19M last year.

They just need 6M more to reach their goal of 25M, and they already have 2.5M of that 6M leading into the highest quarter

So yeah, 25M seems like a lock

Q422 had Hogwarts Legacy, as well as Dead Space, and some exposure to RE4 Remake.

There is almost no chance that they're able to replicate that with only FF7R2.

They'll have to have massive sales in order to reach 25 million.

I would bet my account against yours that they don't hit 12 million for the quarter...

You can do whatever you want. But it’s not that far fetched given the bundles with their most popular IP

Anywho, they only had a final Fantasy last quarter and did 4.9M

Having “only” FF7R in their second biggest quarter is probably good enough for 6M, most people will continue buying it for SM2 either way

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want. But it’s not that far fetched given the bundles with their most popular IP

Anywho, they only had a final Fantasy last quarter and did 4.9M

Having “only” FF7R in their second biggest quarter is probably good enough for 6M

Q4-22 was higher due to spillover from Q3 shortages globally and massive hit games that are bigger than FF7R2.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Q4-22 was higher due to spillover from Q3 shortages globally and massive hit games that are bigger than FF7R2.
There may also be a Monster Hunter game that would also push PS5s.

And if Sony ever feels the momentum declining, they could always show one of their big upcoming games and renew the selling spree, e.g., God of War's spin-off game, Santa Monica's next game, Ghost of Tsushima 2 teaser, Horizon 1 remake, etc.

Mr.Phoenix

Q422 had Hogwarts Legacy, as well as Dead Space, and some exposure to RE4 Remake.

There is almost no chance that they're able to replicate that with only FF7R2.

They'll have to have massive sales in order to reach 25 million.
I think it all hinges on how well they do this Q3.

Spiderman and COD bundles could go a really long way. If they hit 12M, then they only need 4M from Q4, anything above 12M is a bonus.

There may also be a Monster Hunter game that would also push PS5s.

And if Sony ever feels the momentum declining, they could always show one of their big upcoming games and renew the selling spree, e.g., God of War's spin-off game, Santa Monica's next game, Ghost of Tsushima 2 teaser, Horizon 1 remake, etc.

People really don't buy consoles based on showcases, they buy based on releases, price cuts, e.t.c.

Showing games isn't going to get them to their requisite numbers in Q4.

Which assisted in a higher Q4... You have to include all the context.
We don’t know the strategy yet. They might do more price cuts or announce new games (first and third party).

If by any chance they don’t achieve their 25m units for this FY, they will fall very short of it.

Credit needs to be given, they did it with a $499/€549 machine (most of the time).

I think it all hinges on how well they do this Q3.

Spiderman and COD bundles could go a really long way. If they hit 12M, then they only need 4M from Q4, anything above 12M is a bonus.

They aren't getting 12 million... that's a complete pipe dream. If the momentum for Spider-Man was that strong, we would have seen higher unit sales in October and November than we've seen.

They aren't getting 12 million... that's a complete pipe dream. If the momentum for Spider-Man was that strong, we would have seen higher unit sales in October and November than we've seen.

Of course they will. The black friday deals this year will be insane

Guessing it’ll be 449/499 with SM2 bundled

Unit sales are based on existing ps5 owners, has nothing to do with future console sale potential

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I'd say that 25m should be doable. At least in Europe, Sony has been pretty aggressive with their pricing strategy lately. Right now, I can order a PS5 disc edition with a copy of Modern Warfare 3 for €488

Combined with Spider-Man they should have one of their best quarters ever, especially since Xbox is out of the picture and Switch is in it's twilight year so there's not a whole lot of competition until next year.

Sakura

They did 19M last year.

They just need 6M more to reach their goal of 25M, and they already have 2.5M of that 6M leading into the highest quarter

So yeah, 25M seems like a lock
The PS4s best year was 20 million, and PS5 is currently only tracking about 1 million ahead of that.
I don't think even the PS2 did 25 million in a year.
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but seems unlikely that they will hit that target.

Last quarter was up 50% without a heavy hitter like SM2

50% above last year’s Q3 is 10.5M

Again, not a stretch to reach 12M with bundles and SM2 this quarter…

Last edited:
Top Bottom