• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will only make enough displays for 450k Apple Vision Pros a year. Apple asked Sony to increase production, they refused.

"Sony manufactures the OLED on silicon, or OLEDoS, which uses silicon as a substrate to make a high-resolution micro OLED display panel, being used by Cupertino for its new MR device unveiled last week at WWDC 2023.

Sources said Sony’s capacity means Apple will only be able to ship hundreds of thousands of Vision Pro at most next year.

At most, the Japanese company can supply between 100,000 to 200,000 units of OLEDoS per quarter.

The point to watch will be which new supplier may enter Apple’s supply chain for the device when the second generation version of it launches.

Cupertino had asked Sony to expand its OLEDoS production capacity but the Japanese company refused, sources said.
" https://macdailynews.com/2023/06/12...-450k-apple-vision-pro-units-per-year-report/

Sony's sabotaging Apples headset production to win the war! Tim should have went with LG, at 450k a year those 1-1.5m estimates blow up in smoke.

Still, Apple got peoples attention for a few days in the news cycle after the reveal, so it wasn't a complete loss. But now even if everyone wanted a Vision Pro it's dead on arrival. R.I.P, nail in the coffin. Sony plays for keeps.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Sony's sabotaging Apples headset production to win the war
LOL

What about production capacity ? Ever heard of that ?
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sony is not going to compromise ALL OTHERS production contracts and their own production only to please "monseigneur" Apple. If they refused, they have a good reason -probably already at max capacity for this tech- why would they refuse money and profits ?
Apple might be your GOD, but not SONY's one for sure 😹😹😹

Please don't forget your hat.
Fire Crypto GIF by Chubbiverse

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Man why do people want to waste 3.5k for this product?
Every day we bend over for these corporation.
The price seems crazy, but the hardware and how you interact with it seems really good. This has very little practicality for VR gaming as we know it today. But it has very good application elsewhere.

Here is a common example: Imagine a surgeon practicing a surgery before the actual thing. If they want to do this in VR today, they have to use controllers which are quite a ways away from what the actual experience will be like. But with Apple's headset able to read micro movement of your hands/fingers, they can practice those surgeries a lot closer to how they will actually perform them.

You won't be playing Call of the Mountain on this anytime soon, but it has it's uses. Price is prohibitive for most consumers, but they will sell every single unit they produce.

Shubh_C63

It would had been in Sony best interest for Apple vr device to succeed so their "cost effective" gaming VR can become more mainstream.

I'm sure if they could increase production by pouring billions, they would have.

Loomy

It would had been in Sony best interest for Apple vr device to succeed so their "cost effective" gaming VR can become more mainstream.

I'm sure if they could increase production by pouring billions, they would have.
Yeah, and it's not like they're producing these for free. If it was feasible, they'd make more so they could make more money from Apple.

Batiman

Banned
Man why do people want to waste 3.5k for this product?
Every day we bend over for these corporation.
People love to spend money. Even if they don’t have it. People are buying 80k$ cars while renting out basements. BMWs are like the new civics.

Have you seen what people spend on clothing, eating out, etc? This generation does not know how to spend within their means. Budgeting isn’t in their thought process. If they want something they buy it.

This doesn’t surprise me at all

Last edited:
If Apple doesn't want to rely on other people for their hardware parts, then maybe they should start making their OWN components. VR screens are extremely niche AND high tech, Not Sony's problem that Apple couldn't find anyone else to make them.

Raonak

Banned
Here is a common example: Imagine a surgeon practicing a surgery before the actual thing. If they want to do this in VR today, they have to use controllers which are quite a ways away from what the actual experience will be like. But with Apple's headset able to read micro movement of your hands/fingers, they can practice those surgeries a lot closer to how they will actually perform them.
The gesture controls arent nearly that accurate. It's basically upgraded Kinect tech. Which is accurate for stuff like sliding windows and pinching but micromovements is a stretch.

And thats not even taking into account that there's no reason to do practice surgerys in a simulated environment in the first place when you have no feedback and physical sensation of cutting and stiching parts together.

More likely ORs would actually go for dedicated industry grade surgery simulators rather than use general purpose hardware.

Corndog

Banned
"Sony manufactures the OLED on silicon, or OLEDoS, which uses silicon as a substrate to make a high-resolution micro OLED display panel, being used by Cupertino for its new MR device unveiled last week at WWDC 2023.

Sources said Sony’s capacity means Apple will only be able to ship hundreds of thousands of Vision Pro at most next year.

At most, the Japanese company can supply between 100,000 to 200,000 units of OLEDoS per quarter.

The point to watch will be which new supplier may enter Apple’s supply chain for the device when the second generation version of it launches.

Cupertino had asked Sony to expand its OLEDoS production capacity but the Japanese company refused, sources said.
" https://macdailynews.com/2023/06/12...-450k-apple-vision-pro-units-per-year-report/

Sony's sabotaging Apples headset production to win the war! Tim should have went with LG, at 450k a year those 1-1.5m estimates blow up in smoke.

Still, Apple got peoples attention for a few days in the news cycle after the reveal, so it wasn't a complete loss. But now even if everyone wanted a Vision Pro it's dead on arrival. R.I.P, nail in the coffin. Sony plays for keeps.
They probably won’t need that many anyways.

I still don’t see this thing taking off.
Have you watched the tech demo's or tech influencers on youtube's impressions on the device?

It's potentially game changing, especially in the work environment. It has the potential to change how we work in hybrid and remote work models in a huge way so I always scoff at people thinking this is a gimmick or something.

Last edited:

Loomy

The gesture controls arent nearly that accurate. It's basically upgraded Kinect tech. Which is accurate for stuff like sliding windows and pinching but micromovements is a stretch.

And thats not even taking into account that there's no reason to do practice surgerys in a simulated environment in the first place when you have no feedback and physical sensation of cutting and stiching parts together.

More likely ORs would actually go for dedicated industry grade surgery simulators rather than use general purpose hardware.
You are absolutely right on most counts.

The simulation is as much about feedback as it is about process, so there's benefit to doing it in a simulated environment. Those tools exist and are being used today.

This(and other headsets) needs to do well because the more adoption we have outside of gaming, the faster the technology will develop. It's not quite there yet as you pointed out, but it's a very good starting point.

Mr.Phoenix

Sony is simply waiting to see how this tech is received in its first year. No point in spending and increasing their capacity for something that so far only them (and I think lg) can make just for apple then if things dont kick off they are left in a hole.

Have you watched the tech demo's or tech influencers on youtube's impressions on the device?

It's potentially game changing, especially in the work environment. It has the potential to change how we work in hybrid and remote work models in a huge way so I always scoff at people thinking this is a gimmick or something.

I'm mildly interested in it and I'm a tech person, and I don't know that I would want it for free let alone for 3,500...

I just don't think I'd ever use it and it wouldn't be the first piece of tech that I have that I never use.

Kdad

So...basically covering for BoA's assinine 1.5 million projection and blaming Sony instead of their own analysts. All projections (at a 3k price point not 3.5k) pointed to .5 million before the BoA's clickbait.

Tim Apple is supposed to be a supply chain ubergod...I'm sure whatever supply he was looking for he got.

Last edited:
I'm mildly interested in it and I'm a tech person, and I don't know that I would want it for free let alone for 3,500...

I just don't think I'd ever use it and it wouldn't be the first piece of tech that I have that I never use.

I'd take it for free but I won't go out of my way to shell out that much money for it. It's awesome but not $3500 awesome.

It's possible future consoles will head in this direction when the tech has matured and is cheaper to produce.

so the estimates that it would sell 1.5 mil or whatever was complete bullshit
The amusing thing is that this info basically conformed the production size of the first batch.

So the question is, will it sell out or not? If they fail to sell out then they definitely failed to estimate the market properly.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So essentially it will have little or no impact on the vr market for a while. Wasn't going to sell much more than that anyhow at that price......

Top Bottom