• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will only make enough displays for 450k Apple Vision Pros a year. Apple asked Sony to increase production, they refused.

reinking

Gold Member
This is probably the reality of the situation and they weren't going to expand another factory.

The OP is oddly familiar. Oddly, indeed.
Suspicious Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF
Undercover Brother Yes GIF

Stooky

Man why do people want to waste 3.5k for this product?
Every day we bend over for these corporation.
iPhone (why me need iPhone when me have blackberry)
iPad( why me need tablet when me have laptop)
Apple Watch ( why me need Apple Watch when me have iPhone)
Me look at apples bank account 2 years after each of these products released.........then me look at me apple stock portfolio

ugly cry GIF

me cry not because me sad
me cry because it happened

Kdad

iPhone (why me need iPhone when me have blackberry)
iPad( why me need tablet when me have laptop)
Apple Watch ( why me need Apple Watch when me have iPhone)
Me look at apples bank account 2 years after each of these products released.........then me look at me apple stock portfolio

ugly cry GIF

me cry not because me sad
me cry because it happened
I don't own any Apple products, doubt I ever will. But I do like their stock.

John Wick

"Sony manufactures the OLED on silicon, or OLEDoS, which uses silicon as a substrate to make a high-resolution micro OLED display panel, being used by Cupertino for its new MR device unveiled last week at WWDC 2023.

Sources said Sony’s capacity means Apple will only be able to ship hundreds of thousands of Vision Pro at most next year.

At most, the Japanese company can supply between 100,000 to 200,000 units of OLEDoS per quarter.

The point to watch will be which new supplier may enter Apple’s supply chain for the device when the second generation version of it launches.

Cupertino had asked Sony to expand its OLEDoS production capacity but the Japanese company refused, sources said.
" https://macdailynews.com/2023/06/12...-450k-apple-vision-pro-units-per-year-report/

Sony's sabotaging Apples headset production to win the war! Tim should have went with LG, at 450k a year those 1-1.5m estimates blow up in smoke.

Still, Apple got peoples attention for a few days in the news cycle after the reveal, so it wasn't a complete loss. But now even if everyone wanted a Vision Pro it's dead on arrival. R.I.P, nail in the coffin. Sony plays for keeps.
You should let Sony know they should do the same with image sensors so that way they can sabotage the iPhone and other smartphones. Genius idea.....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why would Sony turn them down? It's interesting. Maybe it is because they don't believe this thing is going to be a big hit and don't want to be left holding the bag?
Likely it is because Apple asked them to increase production capacity but did not open the check book (enough) to help finance the additional manufacturing capacity needed (which is a huge cost to have that the additional headset production might not have offset). Apple has the money to ensure they help their suppliers give them what they need to have the level of production they want, but they are trying to get the suppliers to pay for the privilege.

Look at their partnership for visionOS 3D engines, was Unity the best technical choice or the one company that was about right in terms of tech but mostly in more dire financial situations to accept whatever conditions Apple threw at them? Doing the same partnership with Epic would have cost bazillions (ensuring UE5 were as available as needed for devs and more optimised for Apple’s use cases).

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Every day we bend over for these corporation.

The sheer irony of *you* saying this, given your history of bending over for a very specific company? Christ, at least look in the mirror.

midnightAI

Heh, Draxon Gamer is definitely Eddie

Cough, anyway, back on topic... So, reports are 1.5 mill headsets in the first year, but if that doesn't happen then it's Sony's fault? Is that the narrative?

Sony's sabotaging Apples headset production to win the war! Tim should have went with LG, at 450k a year those 1-1.5m estimates blow up in smoke.
Or maybe Sony helping Apple not to sink millions in unsold units by producing the amount that will actually be sold?

No idea how many units will be sold, outside of influencers and some weirdos buying evrything Apple but my obviously not visionary mind can't imagine a world where people in droves start buying VR now just because it is apple and admittedly the probably best headset one can buy in the near future to do stuff VR promises for years now (and mostly working already) added with some kinda uncanny outside display and removing for gamers meaningful controller options.

I hope the OP is trolling really, because this is one of the most stupid takes I have ever read on here (and I've seen a few)

In his mind Sony somehow doesn't want to take apple's money because... derp talks about some war...

What war? Completely different products for completely different segments. Pretty sure if they could manufacture more they would happily take a cut out of each 3 to 4k priced product apple will push out.

I don’t give a damn about the headset but man do I want it to succeed. Because if it does, it will be a rising tide that’ll lift all that technology and investment from hundreds of companies to the next level. Companies will invest big in 3D, VR, and really try to perfect the virtual gaming experience . They won’t half ass it if apples succeeds. They will all want a piece of the pie. Which means gaming will go to the next level. And yes that includes better gaming experiences for Sony and the PSVR2.

Im one of the few oldtimers that still has and loves my 3ds, my 3d camcorder, my 3dtv and its movies, hell I still play Uncharted 3 in 3D and LOVE it. If Apple succeeds, this will be BIG for gaming.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Have you watched the tech demo's or tech influencers on youtube's impressions on the device?

It's potentially game changing, especially in the work environment. It has the potential to change how we work in hybrid and remote work models in a huge way so I always scoff at people thinking this is a gimmick or something.

I don’t think any of it’s a gimmick, and AR from day one was shown to have great non entertainment potential.

At $3500 I don’t think it’s going to take off. Simple as that. The price is ridiculous.

Have you watched the tech demo's or tech influencers on youtube's impressions on the device?

I don't need to listen to tech influencers (lol) and their speculation. Apple themselves utterly failed in its reveal event to establish a meaningful use case for the device.

It's potentially game changing,

How?

By allowing a virtual desktop? Yeah, it's a neat feature, but falls apart when you realize it's tethered to having to use a Mac; when the vast majority of the commercial IT infrastructure is dependent on Windows.

The Quest 2 has a virtual desktop app that's compatible with Windows. Again it's a neat feature but not game-changing by any measure.

At best, functionality-wise, you get what... a little more screen real estate? And for the cost of having to work with a pair of uncomfortable goggles strapped to your head for your 8 - 10 hr working day.... yeah... no thanks.

especially in the work environment. It has the potential to change how we work in hybrid and remote work models in a huge way so I always scoff at people thinking this is a gimmick or something.

How exactly?

I keep hearing folks making these bold sweeping claims, but where does this pan out? How exactly is it game-changing?

The AR technology has some extremely promising potential applications in some industrial sectors, but neither Apple nor app developers are focused on this. So the major potential beneficiary sectors for this tech would have to finance not only the hardware but the software solutions to the problems they need solving. That's a none starter.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I keep hearing folks making these bold sweeping claims, but where does this pan out? How exactly is it game-changing?
Yeah, people who say this sound like they never had a device like this strapped to their faces for more than 20 minutes at a time. I can barely stand to use them for more than 2-3 hours at a time while gaming and someone is suggesting that people will be sitting for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, actually trying to get some work done with that thing on their face?

2pf.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t give a damn about the headset but man do I want it to succeed. Because if it does, it will be a rising tide that’ll lift all that technology and investment from hundreds of companies to the next level. Companies will invest big in 3D, VR, and really try to perfect the virtual gaming experience . They won’t half ass it if apples succeeds. They will all want a piece of the pie. Which means gaming will go to the next level. And yes that includes better gaming experiences for Sony and the PSVR2.

Im one of the few oldtimers that still has and loves my 3ds, my 3d camcorder, my 3dtv and its movies, hell I still play Uncharted 3 in 3D and LOVE it. If Apple succeeds, this will be BIG for gaming.

It’s not about gaming. It’s all about having ads in your face 24/7. That’s always been the driving factor for things like mobile phones. Making purchases.

Vr /ar is the next evolution of mobile. Get it out of your hands and into your eyes. The end game is something like google glass or contacts with displays. 24 hour access to guide you to purchase, purchase, purchase.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yeah, people who say this sound like they never had a device like this strapped to their faces for more than 20 minutes at a time. I can barely stand to use them for more than 2-3 hours at a time while gaming and someone is suggesting that people will be sitting for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, actually trying to get some work done with that thing on their face?

2pf.gif

That is in the now

You have to start somewhere. Eventually form factor will be better (already pretty damn good for what the thing is packing tech wise) and be more comfortable, better optics, variable focus, etc. Ultimately it looks like a pair of glass, or further down, lenses / implants. I wouldn’t want to go to that extreme with that last one, but I won’t be alive most likely to have this decision to make.

Pre-iPhone launch peoples were like « why even a big screen and no keyboard? I only need this thing to make calls and text, not internet all the time » and look where we are..

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
That is in the now

You have to start somewhere. Eventually form factor will be better (already pretty damn good for what the thing is packing tech wise) and be more comfortable, better optics, variable focus, etc. Ultimately it looks like a pair of glass, or further down, lenses / implants. I wouldn’t want to go to that extreme with that last one, but I won’t be alive most likely to have this decision to make.

Pre-iPhone launch peoples were like « why even a big screen and no keyboard? I only need this thing to make calls and text, not internet all the time » and look where we are..
In that case I'll wait until they start selling cyberpunk implants, lol.

Ar¢tos

Oh the suffering of rich people when it sells out and they have to wait for new stock like common plebs!

Ronin_7

Banned
What kind of stupidity is thiS 🤣🤣🤣

SONY ain't sabotaging shit, they clearly just can't make more, they're expanding their semi conductors lines & open new factories with TSMC but there's always a limit.

PaintTinJr

Likely it is because Apple asked them to increase production capacity but did not open the check book (enough) to help finance the additional manufacturing capacity needed (which is a huge cost to have that the additional headset production might not have offset). Apple has the money to ensure they help their suppliers give them what they need to have the level of production they want, but they are trying to get the suppliers to pay for the privilege.

Look at their partnership for visionOS 3D engines, was Unity the best technical choice or the one company that was about right in terms of tech but mostly in more dire financial situations to accept whatever conditions Apple threw at them? Doing the same partnership with Epic would have cost bazillions (ensuring UE5 were as available as needed for devs and more optimised for Apple’s use cases).
I think there is maybe a few other things on top of that too.

I don't think Sony would give them more than 30% of their Micro OLED supply as a business 101 rule, and because they'll likely need it for their 20year old US government/Navy VR/AR projects, and their PSVR2 supply needs - especially if it is a xmas hit following GT7 film, and Sony's likely to do an Android competitor to the Vision Pro, and Sony's coming needs for the Project Q, screen and maybe their Xperia 1 V smartphones and custom AR/VR solutions for other corporate customers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Manufacturer only able to give customer 100 percent of what they can supply, customer fans cry foul. News at 11PM."

. . .seriously, where is the sabotage here? That SONY (a Japanese company) isn't going to invest in an increase of their own manufacturing capacity just to help out a competitor (that happens to be an American company)?

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Because it's a competitor to the $3500 Hololens 2 from 2019 with ~5x faster hardware, much larger field of projection, better optical scanners, etc. but then it also doubles as the best VR headset around in terms of resolution and

Companies who have been developing and selling Hololens 2 solutions until now for augmented machine operators, industry training and upskilling, remote maintenance etc. will probably shift to Vision Pro as soon as possible (I know we will where I work at because it's ~90% my decision). Microsoft has been very negligent of their Augmented Reality solutions (the 2019 Hololens 2 was just a small evolution from 2016 Hololens 1, it's been 4 years and there's not even word of new hardware) so there's a gigantic gap between Hololens 2 and what Vision Pro can do.

It's not a coincidence that Vision Pro has its AR/XR SDK based on Unity while that engine is far behind other engines at the moment. It's the game engine being used for Hololens apps, so they want to take over that market.

Last edited:

yurinka

I assume this is fake news, but would be fun to be real.

"Manufacturer only able to give customer 100 percent of what they can supply, customer fans cry foul. News at 11PM."

. . .seriously, where is the sabotage here? That SONY (a Japanese company) isn't going to invest in an increase of their own manufacturing capacity just to help out a competitor (that happens to be an American company)?
Apple is their customer, not an OLED display competitor.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Apple is their customer, not an OLED display competitor.

APPLE is a customer for their OLED products, but they are absolutely a competitor in other spaces (including, now, virtual/augmented reality) and it is absurd to think a company would need to invest in production for a client to meet their needs as a competitor.

Dr_Ifto

This is probably coming out so that when the device doesnt sell well, they will blame Sony for not making enough.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
APPLE is a customer for their OLED products, but they are absolutely a competitor in other spaces (including, now, virtual/augmented reality) and it is absurd to think a company would need to invest in production for a client to meet their needs as a competitor.
What are you even talking about?

Sony is the main supplier of digital sensors for apple and a company behind it's vast iPhone Camera success story with back-illuminated CMOS tech introduced in iPhone 4s. Sony was always a key driver for Steve Jobs to pursue design minimalism. First iPhone prototypes were desing to mimic the Sony philosophy, they even bear the Sony logo. Hell, Jobs even wanted to put MacOS on Vaio, but Sony refused.
screen-shot-2012-07-26-at-3-11-00-pm.png

For Apple, Sony is an integral part of their identity and a key hardware supplier and Cook visited Sony Minato factory a year or so ago to reinforce the partnership.

This whole take that Appl are at odds with sony is inane for anyone paying attention.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I didn't know there were hundreds of thousands of people willing to spend $3500 on an Apple VR headset.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What are you even talking about?

Sony is the main supplier of digital sensors for apple and a company behind it's vast iPhone Camera success story with back-illuminated CMOS tech introduced in iPhone 4s. Sony was always a key driver for Steve Jobs to pursue design minimalism. First iPhone prototypes were desing to mimic the Sony philosophy, they even bear the Sony logo. Hell, Jobs even wanted to put MacOS on Vaio, but Sony refused.
screen-shot-2012-07-26-at-3-11-00-pm.png

For Apple, Sony is an integral part of their identity and a key hardware supplier and Cook visited Sony Minato factory a year or so ago to reinforce the partnership.

This whole take that Appl are at odds with sony is inane for anyone paying attention.

Maybe read the full context of the conversation before "Well awkshully. . ."-ing your way through the thread.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Sony more than likely has capacity maxed out or needs to share capacity with their own headset even though it's differing tech, not to mention Sony will no doubt own a lot of patents related to this tech.

Tbf I'm really looking to checking out the tech to judge it against what I've experienced to see have Apple actually made a generational leap over the current headsets

Luigi Mario

This is probably the reality of the situation and they weren't going to expand another factory.

The OP is oddly familiar. Oddly, indeed.
Nice try Eddie.
Heh, Draxon Gamer is definitely Eddie

Cough, anyway, back on topic... So, reports are 1.5 mill headsets in the first year, but if that doesn't happen then it's Sony's fault? Is that the narrative?
Who is that Eddie character some people constantly bring up in OP's threads?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Sources said Sony’s capacity means Apple will only be able to ship hundreds of thousands of Vision Pro at most next year.

This will not move that many devices

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Top Bottom