• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium announced: 4K HDR Display, 960 FPS video capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Just announced at MWC

xz_premium.jpg

xz_premium_black.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlboZNEP6bs

Hands-on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BvNQrr6J50

Snapdragon 835 processor
4GB RAM
64GB ROM, expandable via MicroSD
Android 7.0
4K HDR display
19MP rear and 13MP front camera. Rear using new sensor with built in DRAM
960 FPS capture at 720p resolution
Gorilla Glass 5 loop design around the entire phone
IP65/68 dust/water resistant
3,230 mAh battery
USB Type C
Fingerprint reader built into the power button (unfortunately it seems it will still be disabled in some regions, but you'll likely be able to get around that like with current models)
Headphone jack! :)

Will be available late Spring. Definitely my new phone!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What is with the fingerprint not in some regions with the Xperia line? I think like one random Huawei model had this issue too.

Qvoth

That actually looks pretty good I'd say
Another chrome back pls :p
Edit: default is luminous chrome so I guess that's that

KZObsessed

Nice. Too premium for me tho! Waiting on their mid range announcements as I desperately need a new phone. I really want a Galaxy Note tho. Hmm.

vivftp

What is with the fingerprint not in some regions with the Xperia line? I think like one random Huawei model had this issue too.

Almost certainly some sort of patent related issue. At least there are work arounds :)

That actually looks pretty good I'd say
Another chrome back pls :p

Chrome front and back, going by the phone being shown at the press event :)

Jonnax

Patent issues most likely. Either the rights holder is refusing to licence or Sony feel the fee is too high.

Gitaroo

Looks great, but will stick to my z5 premium until the next premium. Imo the z5p screen is the one they should have use for psvr especially when it is made in house. The pixel density is so high it doesn't even matter that it is not oled, you can't see a single pixel up close. You can fit full 2x1080p without scaling down and stretch with nasty artifacts.

JimiNutz

Banned
My current phone is the Z5 Premium and it's served me well (last phone was a Z1 and that lasted well too).

I was thinking I would get a Pixel next but I may consider this instead.

Does it come in black?

Nice. Too premium for me tho! Waiting on their mid range announcements as I desperately need a new phone. I really want a Galaxy Note tho. Hmm.

Are they likely to announce a new mid-range phones soon?

I kinda want a Sony phone, and was looking at ZX (priced around 500 USD locally) which is already at my price limit.

Good lord that thing is sexy. Hopefully we see that display in VR headsets in the next couple of years.

It has an LCD screen so that is unlikely. I don't know the details behind it, but in an article I've just read it has said they aren't great for VR due to response times.

Damn lol. I have the XZ, really nice phone. I would be all over this, but I am locked in contractwise. Looks extremely swish though. Hopefully the battery is decent.

Jonnax

My question is: Will the display be calibrated?

Because the last few Xperia phones have had shockingly uncalibrated displays.

They can't argue that it's hard because Samsung and Apple have done it for years in their flagships.

Especially when Sony are advertising HDR

Akira

I was really hoping Xperia would take off back in 2012-2013, but I feel like they have gone nowhere since the Xperia Z came out. Their design language has become stale and has not evolved at the same pace as others. While the big names are moving to almost zero bezels with the upcoming iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8, Sony is still stuck with 2013-size bezels. Even after they were one of the first ones to the minimum bezel thing with the Xperia ZL! As nice as the design is (ignoring the huge chin and bezels), Sony will remain irrelevant in the smartphone game.

LeleSocho

Banned
For your information they also announced the XZs which is a slightly updated version of last year's phone but with the new crazy camera and the XA1 which is an updated version of last year's XA.

vivftp

I was really hoping Xperia would take off back in 2012-2013, but I feel like they have gone nowhere since the Xperia Z came out. Their design language has become stale and has not evolved at the same pace as others. While the big names are moving to almost zero bezels with the upcoming iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8, Sony is still stuck with 2013-size bezels. Even after they were one of the first ones to the minimum bezel thing with the Xperia ZL! As nice as the design is, not considering the huge chin and bezels, Sony will remain irrelevant in the smartphone game.

Some of us appreciate the bezels for having a place to hold the darned thing while in landscape mode. I use my phone in landscape 90%+ of the time and when holding it with 1 hand it's nice to have a place to put your thumb without making contact with the screen.

LeleSocho

Banned
I was really hoping Xperia would take off back in 2012-2013, but I feel like they have gone nowhere since the Xperia Z came out. Their design language has become stale and has not evolved at the same pace as others. While the big names are moving to almost zero bezels with the upcoming iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8, Sony is still stuck with 2013-size bezels. Even after they were one of the first ones to the minimum bezel thing with the Xperia ZL! As nice as the design is (ignoring the huge chin and bezels), Sony will remain irrelevant in the smartphone game.

They already had last year a bezelless phone with the XA and this year they have refreshed it, the XZ Premium is just going for something else... you are dreaming if you think the S8 or iPhone is going to have this kind of screen on their phones.
Also the design of Sony phones abeit too familiar over the years is always top notch.

Dio

Banned

Looks great, especially the fact that the HDR really pops on it.

That being said, I really like how the Oneplus One had a sandpaperish, plastic back so it didn't slide all over the fucking place or out of my hand. I've also dropped it a couple times, and it's never shattered or broken because it usually falls on the back or a corner.

If Sony made an Xperia like that with the specs from this I'd buy it ASAP. I know a lot of people complain about Xperia's all-glass construction.

kasane

A bit off topic but i have no fuckign idea why my xperia x performance is laggy as all shit. Chrome lags, videocalls etc.

Maybe i should just upgrade when these come out

sarcastor

I had the Z1. it was a great phone until i cracked it. But its been five years and their phones still have giant bezels. The z5 had a 70% screen to body ratio. Iphone 6 plus is 67%

Meanwhile the new LG G6 is 80%. Yeah its a 2:1 screen, but with the Galaxy s8 having a thin bezels, can we move out of 2012?

cause this is some beautiful shit, although I'm not paying $600-900 for a phone unless the Iphone 8 is 80% or higher myself :)

lg-g6-header.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I've really liked all the xperia phones I've owned because they do try and push the envelope in some way with every device but it's also the only brand of phone I've owned where every handset (3) has eventually gone into an unrecoverable failure (black screen, wont charge or turn on, send back to sony for replacement). I think I dropped 1, but the other 2 were just out of nowhere.

LeleSocho

Banned
A bit off topic but i have no fuckign idea why my xperia x performance is laggy as all shit. Chrome lags, videocalls etc.

Maybe i should just upgrade when these come out

i think you should restore the phone, X Performance should be powerful enough to never lag... probably the Sony skin is trash and slows down overtime.

slider

I had a Z3 and loved it. Only changed it cos the screen became unresponsive (aka it broke). Recently dropped my S7 Edge, cracked the screen and, so, was gonna get the Pixel. Will have to weigh it against the Sony.

Edit: "Waterproof" has kinda become essential. Agree on the comment above about bezel though. Ghastly.

2nd edit: Headphone jack at the top is strangely important to me. :|

kasane

i think you should restore the phone, X Performance should be powerful enough to never lag... probably the Sony skin is trash and slows down overtime.

yeah i have no fucking clue, i go video chat and open chrome for a bit and it lags like a bitch

thuway

The Xperia cycle is almost as bad as the Sonic cycle. There is a feverish hype and hope of the phone delivering what Sony promises. Plenty of people committing to buying one. Months of delays and pricing outrage. Than the reviews hit and the phone is unremarkable in some major way.

I wish they went with OLED and offered stock Android as an option. But as it stands every Xperia release EVER has been over priced and marred by a mitigating flaw whether it be camera quality, durability, display flaws, or overheating. Hell even the Audio quality which Sony touts as a premium feature falls short of LG and ZTE

I love the announcements but I'll never buy one unless they embrace US carriers and get their shit together with release, pricing, and reliability.

As it stands Xperia is always two steps behind in quality and four steps ahead in cost to consumer. When midrange phones like One Plus and ZTE are equipped with OLED displays- I fail to see how a 900 dollar plus phone doesn't have one. Also how does Sony consistently screw up the camera quality year over year when they manufacture the best sensors on the planet?

And this may sound blasphemous but if you are comfortable spending this much on a phone than the Pixel XL is probably your best bet in terms of long term support and relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom