• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium announced: 4K HDR Display, 960 FPS video capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if the rumors are true you just have to wait til IFA for an announcement and it might have this supposed new design.

image.php

hmmm

Akira

Vlad wasn't wrong in that article.

Anti-Sony Vlad said:
Four months from now, when Sony tries to reheat the hype for this phone, a few diehard loyalists will spend too much for it, and they'll be disappointed by it just like they have in each of the past five years of Xperia phones.

Well, maybe he's wrong about it coming 4 months from now. I have only seen "late spring" as the announced date. But with Sony's past, 3-4 months sounds more likely than 1-2 months. It might not even be released in US, and if it is, it will be exclusive to Verizon or something.

Samsung will announce the S8 at the end of this month and will likely come out by the end of April, selling millions of phones that are as feature packed as the XZ but in a much smaller, minimal-bezeled package. I like Sony and will never buy a Samsung product, but that's just the harsh truth. The neat industry-leading features such as the 4K screen will hardly change anything and I don't think others will follow Sony on the 4K screen push this year.

It DOES make me excited for when other phones will have the 960 FPS slow-mo recording too. This looks awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MQ6UKVYlU

Mokubba

So I was reading a comparison between this phone and the z5 premium and apparently the phone will be pushing 4K at all time unlike the Z5 premium.

It's also worth noting that the Z5 Premium only utilizes the full 4K resolution while you view photos and videos from the stock Gallery and Videos apps, while everything else was rendered at 1080p and upscaled to fit the display. The new XZ Premium says “That's how you do it!” and will render your whole interface in 2160 x 3840 — no shenanigans here. Well, games and other graphic-intensive apps will still play at 1080p, and we suppose it's up to individual developers to make their content for the ultra-sharp resolution, if they wish to do so.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-XZ-Premium-vs-Z5-Premium-should-you-upgrade_id91493

Great news as long as the battery holds up.

vivftp

We're getting closer to the release of the XZ Premium so I thought I'd update the thread a bit

It appears the phone will be rolling out start of June in at least some regions. Still waiting for more details
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-anal...ch-date-will-hit-europe-on-1-june-373886.html

New Bronze Pink color announced:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2017/04/24/xperia-xz-premium-bronze-pink/

Short camera review:
https://recombu.com/mobile/article/sony-xperia-xz-premium-camera-review

XZ Premium vs. iPhone 7 Plus Camera shootout:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia...7_plus_quick_camera_comparison-news-24773.php

Mokubba

Waiting for pre-orders to go up since it will include the MDR-100ABN h.ear headphones.
I already have a pair and they are superb so having a backup will be nice.

Also apparently, stamina mode has the option to drop the resolution to qHD or HD.
Can't see a source on that but that would be cool

My question. I'm going on 3 years with my Z3 and it still works great but I could definitely be interested in picking up a new flagship Sony phone.

Only had mine for a month until I got robbed and had it stolen from me. Had to get a iPhone 6. Love the phone but tired of it at the same time. I want my Xperia back but it's so damn expensive to buy outright and T-Mobile stopped carrying it apparently.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I know megapixels are sorta approximations, but holy fucking shit at 13MP for front facing camera.
Megapixels is approximation? Like the manufacturers don't even know how many pixels are in the sensor???
Looks great, but will stick to my z5 premium until the next premium. Imo the z5p screen is the one they should have use for psvr especially when it is made in house. The pixel density is so high it doesn't even matter that it is not oled, you can't see a single pixel up close. You can fit full 2x1080p without scaling down and stretch with nasty artifacts.
Why would high pixel density mean OLED doesn't matter???

Have the Z5 Premium but still curious about the XZ Premium. Probably not worth an upgrade but that slow motion camera is a nice novelty.

Have the Z5 Premium but still curious about the XZ Premium. Probably not worth an upgrade but that slow motion camera is a nice novelty.

I'm kind of interested in it for recording my bowling (for calculations purposes). My Z3 is about two and a half years old now, so it's time for something new. I just wish the color choices were better. I love my Silver Green phone. I'll probably have to get a black phone, as I don't want to see my ugly mug in the mirror finish.

HigXx

My Z5 contract ends just as this is coming out so will probably jump to this. Looks like a very nice phone.

Or is it maybe worth waiting to see if Sony announces anything at IFA? Is this their flagship for the rest of the year? Havent seen any rumours about another flagship

Bought the Xperia Z3 Compact in 2014 and it was complete trash. Literally desintegrated within 3 months. I hope this one's less fragile, then I'll consider it.

Mokubba

My Z5 contract ends just as this is coming out so will probably jump to this. Looks like a very nice phone.

Or is it maybe worth waiting to see if Sony announces anything at IFA? Is this their flagship for the rest of the year? Havent seen any rumours about another flagship

They would probably release a compact at IFA. I think the XZ would stay for a bit.

Lucreto

It's time to upgrade from my original Xperia X. I was planning on getting this phone but my network won't be carrying it.

I will have to settle for the Xperia xa1 ultra instead.

HigXx

Phone is being released 1st June in UK however details for Sony's IFA phones have emerged

Starting with the Xperia XZ1, the phone will be powered by Snapdragon 835 chipset and sport a 5.2-inch full HD display. It will come with 4GB RAM and pack a 3,000mAh battery.

Moving on, the XZ1 Compact will also be powered by a Snapdragon 835 SoC, and will sport a 4.6-inch HD display. RAM will be 4GB, while a 2,800mAh battery will be tasked with keeping the lights on.

Finally, the Xperia X1 will be powered by a Snapdragon 660 chipset and sport a 5-inch FullHD display. It'll have 4GB of RAM, and pack in a 2,800mAh battery.

The report also says all three phones will feature a new camera technology, which it describes as (in translated text) "full pixel continuous and shoot."

Dont know whether to wait and see if the bezels are better on the XZ1 or just dive into the XZP...

ugoo18

Didn't know where to ask, looking to upgrade my Z3. Was going to get the XZ but then i discovered the XZs. Is the XZs worth the additional $200 over the XZ?

Arex

Didn't know where to ask, looking to upgrade my Z3. Was going to get the XZ but then i discovered the XZs. Is the XZs worth the additional $200 over the XZ?

Only if you think the additional 1GB of RAM and the 960fps is worth that. Other than that it's basically an XZ lol. Might as well wait for XZ1 if you can.

ugoo18

Only if you think the additional 1GB of RAM and the 960fps is worth that. Other than that it's basically an XZ lol. Might as well wait for XZ1 if you can.

My screen is lifting off on my z3 lolol and its been ghosting a bit in the last month or so.

Radec

Its priced the same as a regular S8 here in Malaysia. But the freebies are meh compared to UK.

Also, anyone knows the charger included is qc3.0 capable?

vivftp

GSMArena is a much better comparator than some YouTuber:
http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g6_samsung_galaxy_s8_sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1612.php
Seems to generally be a tie between the Galaxy S8 and the XZ Premium.

XZ Premium will likely plummit in price in a few months like most of Sony's phones so I might wait until then.

I'm not discounting GSM Arenas findings, but it is nice to see a side by side comparison in video as well.

Still waiting on Canadian availability. Hopefully we get news soon

Bit expensive. I would have bit at £500ish, as I loooove my Z1 that's still going strong today (battery excepted).

Will wait and see what the Oneplus 5 has to offer next week.

Mokubba

Waiting to see reviews on accessories before taking the plunge and a shame about UK pre order freebies being rubbish compared to other countries.

Haven't seen too many glass screen protectors yet for it.

HigXx

Recieved this today, I personally feel its a great upgrade from my Z5. It is buttery smooth and while it has bigger bezels it feels amazing in my hand. Everything looks so good

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seems this is launching on June 19th in the US and is going to be carried by most major electronics retailers like Amazon, Best Buy and so on. Gonna be $800 so I may wait till later this year and hope for a decent price drop. Sad that the finger print scanner is disabled though but I guess it seems it some kind of contractual thing as its activated and working in other territories.

spwolf

Recieved this today, I personally feel its a great upgrade from my Z5. It is buttery smooth and while it has bigger bezels it feels amazing in my hand. Everything looks so good

so how do you like it so far? I am getting one tomorrow, my carrier is giving it to me for pretty cheap without any change in my contract for I think €400, so no way I will get Oneplus 5 now.

muteki

Feel like this is most likely going to be my next phone in the next month or so. I'd really like that red one that we saw a while back though.

Is it a trivial thing to re-enable the fingerprint sensor on US models, or should I look into getting an international version?

I saw a surprisingly large ad for the XZ Premium in the mobile phone area of the smallest Best Buy here in New Orleans. It'll be interesting to see if Sony's presence here slowly grows as carriers reorient themselves around unlocked phones.

My first Xperia was a Z5 I imported from the UK, at a time when it seemed like it wouldn't be announced for the US at all. Not sure if I want to import my next phone again, or try to get the fingerprint sensor working on a US model.

Figure I'll wait for the XZ1 regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom