• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium announced: 4K HDR Display, 960 FPS video capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

I wonder if the pictures taken with its camera take advantage of the HDR screen.
Looks sexy, but it's going to be a nightmare cleaning those fingerprints all over the screen AND the body.

thuway

4K screen on a phone. Okay. I'm sure that drives up the cost for no visible consumer benefit.
The entire industry will work towards 4K phone displays as Snapdragon 835 has a pretty good efficiency improvement. Technology will not halt even if the benefits are minor. 4K is actually a Trojan for HDR and these smaller displays will be where you see a preview of the high end display tech before televisions adopt them.

DieH@rd

Banned
I saw the test footage of that fancy new image processing chip Sony is preparing... and it looked awesome. I'm glad people will not have to wait long to get access to it.

LeleSocho

Banned
As it stands Xperia is always two steps behind in quality and four steps ahead in cost to consumer. When midrange phones like One Plus and ZTE are equipped with OLED displays- I fail to see how a 900 dollar plus phone doesn't have one.

Because depending on what you value on a display OLED can be trash tier displays compared to LCD.

40x slowmotion (even at low resolution) is pretty great to have available in a phone I think.

My camera does 240 fps and that's already fun to play around with.

Macro-shoot a bee collecting pollen slowed down 40 times in bright sunlight and it should look like some Planet Earth shit.

Beautiful phone. I really liked my Xperia Z3c, but it was so delicate and if I even went back to a Sony phone again I would have to make sure beforehand that it was a lot more robust.

What is with the fingerprint not in some regions with the Xperia line? I think like one random Huawei model had this issue too.

HP has the patent for a fingerprint reader integrated into a power button.

The phone is gorgeous, but I just bought an X Compact a month ago and am loving the smaller form factor. XZ Premium Compact and I would bite.

Spuck-uk

Banned
How would this compare to my Xperia Z3 compact?

How big of a jump is this?

Worse battery life, bigger phone, nicer screen, a LOT more expensive.

I don't think Sony have made a phone worth upgrading from the Z3 compact yet. Too much money for too little difference.

Condom

Why is that battery so small? I think I'll never be able to get another high end device because of the battery life on those things.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Beautiful phone. I really liked my Xperia Z3c, but it was so delicate and if I even went back to a Sony phone again I would have to make sure beforehand that it was a lot more robust.

My z3 compact is tough as hell, it's dropped down concrete steps before, fallen in a pool, been stepped on, all sorts.

Bishop89

GeYKY.gif

My contract ends in Dec, so hoping for a newer sku then.

Ive currently got a Z3. How does this one compare to it?

My z3 compact is tough as hell, it's dropped down concrete steps before, fallen in a pool, been stepped on, all sorts.

I smashed the front screen once and the rear glass twice. I loved the size and feel of it, but it felt extremely slippy and just wasn't tough enough for me IMO. I don't like rubber cases, but got one immediately for my next phone when I upgraded.

anddo0

Sounds like this thing will be in the $800 (US) range.. Still interested

Enjoy your 2 hour battery life.

haven't heard of Sony's stamina tech?

My Z5 premium can last up to 2 days of lite use.. A full day with regular use. Sony makes the most out of their batteries.

I will never get the bezel complaints. Why do people want every single manufacturer to essentially use the same design? Sonys bezels are a design choice, not an oversight as some suggest.

What a waste of all that technology for no reason.

Good to see Sony going backwards on those horrific bezels while every other manufacturer on earth is getting closer to edge to edge screen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Glorious specs, but yeah, I can't deal with all that wasted space on the front. If i'm carrying a brick around every day I want it to maximize screen real estate at this point.

anddo0

you guy are aware the XZs has the same specs at 1080p, right?

Noone is forcing 4K on you.

As for the bezel; argument could g either way.

Not going to lie, as much as I love Sony phones, the batteries in both my Xperia Z and Xperia Z3 have been horrific.

My Z3 had all sorts of battery issues.

I'm not sure what Sony did with the Z5 and the Z4 tablet. But I get much more out of them on a daily basis; with stamina mode.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What a waste of all that technology for no reason.

Good to see Sony going backwards on those horrific bezels while every other manufacturer on earth is getting closer to edge to edge screen.

I don't want an edge to edge screen, I'm sure I'm far from the only one.

daviyoung

Banned
I've had 2 iterations of the Xperia Z (OG and 5) and see no reason to change it come next upgrade. Even dropped a 30kg dumbbell on my Z5 and it shrugged it off with a small dent in the screen.

Has iPhone 8 been revealed yet? For me that's the only competition.

jm89

haven't heard of Sony's stamina tech?

My Z5 premium can last up to 2 days of lite use.. A full day with regular use. Sony makes the most out of their batteries.

Yeah stamina mode is pretty good. Even without it i can get a 2 day battery life on my Z3.

I don't see the XZ premium having a good battery life unless you start using stamina mode or find another way to reduce features/performance of your smart phone just to compensate for the power hungry screen.

I think most manufacturers should stick to 2k screens until they find a way to improve battery life.

dramatis

cause this is some beautiful shit, although I'm not paying $600-900 for a phone unless the Iphone 8 is 80% or higher myself :)

lg-g6-header.jpg
Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to be frank, that just looks like Generic Phone Z. Because everyone is chasing roughly the same aesthetic. If the screen becomes all there is to a phone, then every phone would look pretty much exactly the same, no?

Oddly enough because of Sony's bezels their designs are more distinct from the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom