• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium announced: 4K HDR Display, 960 FPS video capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Z1. it was a great phone until i cracked it. But its been five years and their phones still have giant bezels. The z5 had a 70% screen to body ratio. Iphone 6 plus is 67%

Meanwhile the new LG G6 is 80%. Yeah its a 2:1 screen, but with the Galaxy s8 having a thin bezels, can we move out of 2012?

cause this is some beautiful shit, although I'm not paying $600-900 for a phone unless the Iphone 8 is 80% or higher myself :)

lg-g6-header.jpg

You might be into that, but I just think of how much my sausage fingers are going to touch the screen edges when I try to play a game or something.

Anyway, this looks nice. I was holding off on replacing my Z3. I think I've found a candidate. The one thing that bothers me is the lack of a color. I'm a fan of my silver green phone and like the forest blue of the XZ.

Yjynx

Do people realize that sooner than latter every phone going to move to 4K and HDR? Then I expect the same reaction when either samsung or apple release the same screen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Do people realize that sooner than latter every phone going to move to 4K and HDR? Then I expect the same reaction when either samsung or apple release the same screen.

Apple invented 4K and HDR of course

Gitaroo

yeah, like people said 1080p is over kill, and now complain phones with 720p screens.

13 megapixel FRONT FACING?

Lord have mercy. I was convinced I'd get the Galaxy S8 but damn, this looks like there are literally no compromises outside of the bezels. It's even water resistant.

I'm prepared to drop some bands on this

That phone is winking at me.

Anyway, my last phone was an Xperia S and now it's the smaller Z5. I've been quite happy with Xperias so far, so I'll probably stay with them. No need to update just yet though.

4k HDR Phone screen? Why?

4K screen on a phone. Okay. I'm sure that drives up the cost for no visible consumer benefit.

Same. I can't imagine how this is really a perk. It sounds cool but in the end it amounts to very little for a screen of that size for that usage. The price to benefit ratio will not be favorable and performance/battery will suffer.

As a piece of tech it is impressive, but more in a "hey look at that" sort of way than an "I want it" sort of way. That thing isnt going to be worth the money for me.

I currently have a Z3c which I have enjoyed very much for the last two years but the non-removable battery is deteriorating and the digitizer is starting to lose sensitivity around the edges, which I've read is a common long-term problem of this phone. It's on its way out. The Moto Z Play seems like the most suitable replacement at this moment, offering a similar price/performance ratio with equally good or better battery life. And you can use the port on the back to attach a secondary battery for even more battery life than it already has.

I see Sony have learned nothing about design since their last 7 phones. Still looks boring with too much bezel.

I wonder if I'm going to see a 30% return rate on these due to issues like I have all their others.

Gitaroo

design preference is kind of subjective, I thought my z5p was the most amazing phone when it first came out. Then again that is just me, I also perfer phones with a little size bezel, because my fingers would cover too much of the screen if the phone had edge to edge design.

Vorg

Banned
Why is Sony copying the xiaomi mi3, a 2013 design? I mean, the phone looked great back then, but those bezels look ridiculous nowadays.

Sony

Nintendo
Bezels look comparable to previous Xperia flagships. I'm packing an Xperia Z2 at the moment so I don't think I will be bother by it. I have my fingers crossed for a good camera. Sony Xperia flagships always have a great camera on paper, but it doesn't translate into the captured photos. Samsung flagships take the best photos in my opinion.

The rest looks solid though. Currently I'm quite satisfied with my Z2. It still performs well, but the battery is worn out. The specifications of the XZ Premium are significant enough for me to upgrade from my Z2.

I see Sony have learned nothing about design since their last 7 phones. Still looks boring with too much bezel.

I wonder if I'm going to see a 30% return rate on these due to issues like I have all their others.

Which is strange because Sony have released a flagship with small bezels before: Xperia ZL. It was the non-waterproof version of the Xperia Z. The design was a bit different and it had an IR Blaster, but man was it a beautiful phone:

sony-xperia-zl-ofic-2.jpg

Gitaroo

nothing strange about it because Sony have no problem doing a edge to edge screen like the new XA1 Ultra
Xperia-XA1-Ultra_1-640x467.png
I think they don't want to take the risk with pressure for all the water proof models unlike other manufacturers. They were among the first to do highest screen space ratio phones like the ZL. Personally I like a little big of bezel on the sides or my fingers would cover too much of the screen, just me.

Just announced at MWC

xz_premium.jpg

xz_premium_black.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlboZNEP6bs

Hands-on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BvNQrr6J50

Snapdragon 835 processor
4GB RAM
64GB ROM, expandable via MicroSD
Android 7.0
4K HDR display
19MP rear and 13MP front camera. Rear using new sensor with built in DRAM
960 FPS capture at 720p resolution
Gorilla Glass 5 loop design around the entire phone
IP65/68 dust/water resistant
3,230 mAh battery
USB Type C
Fingerprint reader built into the power button (unfortunately it seems it will still be disabled in some regions, but you'll likely be able to get around that like with current models)
Headphone jack! :)

Will be available late Spring. Definitely my new phone!

sweet jesus, if a new Note doesnt come this year to put to rest my Note 5 i might just get one of this

robo

Cat12 device, so 3ca, 650mb down and 150mb up, plus 4x mimo, if your in the states you dip out as I don't think your carriers are doing ca or mimo.

It's not just about the looks 😝

Elitist1945

Don't forget that Sony puts front facing speakers on their phones so they kind of have to have bigger bezels. This phone is now a good contender for my next upgrade since its (I think?) the only flagship phone from a company to have front facing speakers which are important to me. Not even Google kept the speakers from the 6P (which I have) on the Pixel which is disappointing.

Don't forget that Sony puts front facing speakers on their phones so they kind of have to have bigger bezels. This phone is now a good contender for my next upgrade since its (I think?) the only flagship phone from a company to have front facing speakers which are important to me. Not even Google kept the speakers from the 6P (which I have) on the Pixel which is disappointing.

The single side facing speaker on my girlfriends Pixel is both louder and significantly better quality than the two front facing speakers on my Z3. Front facing doesn't mean much if they are rubbish anyway.

Gitaroo

The single side facing speaker on my girlfriends Pixel is both louder and significantly better quality than the two front facing speakers on my Z3. Front facing doesn't mean much if they are rubbish anyway.

Yeah, z5p front speakers is pretty crap too, can barely hear shit. Some say its use to water proofing but I think its just too tiny.

oni_saru

you guy are aware the XZs has the same specs at 1080p, right?

Noone is forcing 4K on you.

so the XZs is essentially the same thing as the premium only smaller screen and 1080p instead of 4K right? Camera, slow mo still just as good?

Also it'll most likely be cheaper?

Just checking cuz I may get the XZs instead of the premium

The hands on I've read are in the most part good and I was sold until I read the slow motion capture limits, 5 seconds of playback, not capture, playback. It's captures about 0.18 seconds of footage at 960fps (Can they call it 960fps when it can only capture 180 frames at a time?).

Verge article about it.

Fezan

Wow, this looks fantastic. Can anyone tell me how did they make this phone with a single sheet of glass? Now I'll have to use side screen protector also

The ram is kinda low considering the advanced tech packed into this thing. It should be at least 6GB or 8GB considering how much this will cost. I just hope they calibrate the screen properly because Sony sucks at doing that with their mobile devices.

vivftp

lol, yeah considering the XZs is apparently going to be $700, I'm expecting the XZ Premium to go for no less than $800 USD, probably more.

I shudder to think of what it'll cost me up here in Canada if my carrier doesn't pick it up, but we'll see :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
These smartphone aesthetics wars always make me chuckle. "This rectangle is divine! This other rectangle looks like absolute ass!"

Gitaroo

lol, yeah considering the XZs is apparently going to be $700, I'm expecting the XZ Premium to go for no less than $800 USD, probably more.

I shudder to think of what it'll cost me up here in Canada if my carrier doesn't pick it up, but we'll see :)

probably bell exclusive bullshit, I imported my Z5P and came with smart watch 3 for free. Cost about the same buying out from bell but its dual sims is very handy when I travel. Was lucky cuz my family travel to Malaysia when Z5P just released.

vivftp

probably bell exclusive bullshit, I imported my Z5P and came with smart watch 3 for free. Cost about the same buying out from bell but its dual sims is very handy when I travel. Was lucky cuz my family travel to Malaysia when Z5P just released.

Yeah, very hopeful that the Premium will come to Rogers, but sadly it likely won't if the last Premium is anything to go by. Worst case I might have to use my upgrade option from Rogers, sell that phone off and put the cash towards buying the Premium elsewhere.

MutFox

Banned
XZp or XZs will definitely be in consideration for my next phone.
My Z2 is still doing fine though...

All depends on when my Z2 decides to pack it in...

Will buy unlocked, just like the Z2.
Z2 supports a ton of bands, which is really handy when travelling.
(Think it supports more than the Z5...)

Furoba

Looking to replace my og xperia z. I read the premium would be the first commercial sd835 mobile available, mid April ahead of samsung.

Lord have mercy. I was convinced I'd get the Galaxy S8 but damn, this looks like there are literally no compromises outside of the bezels. It's even water resistant.

You will be disappointed. The slightest drop as crack. Those screens are the thinnest and weakest on the market.

I used that sensor on an Xperia M5. It's fucking amazing. My friends with iPhones were astonished at how well the selfies turn out.

/XX/

The hands on I've read are in the most part good and I was sold until I read the slow motion capture limits, 5 seconds of playback, not capture, playback. It's captures about 0.18 seconds of footage at 960fps (Can they call it 960fps when it can only capture 180 frames at a time?).
Can the people at Bugatti claim the standard Veyron 16.4 is a 250 mph capable car when it actually can only travel 8.8 miles at that top speed before the car runs-out of fuel?

All in all, for such a nascent development this is certainly one of the most commendable integrations into a commercial product they could achieve at this time... given the current interface limitations and unidirectional transfer speed outside the integrated camera module itself. Keep in mind the disclosed prototype for the very recent ISSCC presentation made by Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corp., the stacked mid-layer composed of DRAM had a capacity of just 125 MB. It is a great achievement on its own to incorporate it as such on a viable manner!

anddo0

so the XZs is essentially the same thing as the premium only smaller screen and 1080p instead of 4K right? Camera, slow mo still just as good?

Also it'll most likely be cheaper?

Just checking cuz I may get the XZs instead of the premium

More or less the same

XZp Snapdragon 835 processor
XZs Snapdragon 820 processor

XZp 3230mAh
XZs 2900mAh

And a slight weight difference 6.8 oz vs 5.6 oz

Their midrange phones look decent too. I'd like to know more about the MediaTek processor powering the XA1 Ultra.

The XZs is pretty much confirmed for April and priced at $700 (according to all the media). The XZp is rumormed (and sounds about right going by past releases) to be released in May or June, no price, but it's safe to assume $800-$900.

Could Sony have another announcement at IFA?
They've done crazier things...

Broank

Don't forget that Sony puts front facing speakers on their phones so they kind of have to have bigger bezels.

Nexus 6 and Moto X style had a tiny chins, 75% screen to body ratio and front facing speakers though... it must be possible to shrink them.

TheWraith

I don't get how Sony's design still insists on wasting part of the screen with the home etc. buttons. If LG, Samsung and the like all can do buttons below the screen, why can't Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom