• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but those prices drop fast in Europe... in US, they never are as high and they never drop a lot... it is middle grounds from start up.

Z1 Compact dropped from €499 to €449 in Germany already.

But the thing is if you want to import, it's either buy them when the price is high or might well wait till it come out in the US...

Only if it comes out in the US simultaneously as the rest of the world. But I doubt that will happen cause US carriers...

I work for AT&T. I really want us to start selling this phone. From a profit standpoint I always feel it is best to offer variety in phone selection. That and I really want it. If it releases on our network (not confirming or denying) and you want to upgrade to this phone when/if it releases on our network, hit me in a pm and I can hook you up.

I'd absolutely buy this phone :3

ShdwDrake

Banned
I work for AT&T. I really want us to start selling this phone. From a profit standpoint I always feel it is best to offer variety in phone selection. That and I really want it. If it releases on our network (not confirming or denying) and you want to upgrade to this phone when/if it releases on our network, hit me in a pm and I can hook you up.

Yeah man I want it on ATT as well so I can get one lol hope they have a Sony advocacy program.

spwolf

New info about Z2 from Sony presentation... lots of details on how every new feature works. Also - pencil input works on both Z2 phone and tablet
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/03/0...put-also-see-steadyshot-stabilisation-demoed/

Stereo speakers are pretty big.

Sony-MWC-RD-Pres_33.jpg

vivftp

Well it seems Sony has been doing a pretty good job of decreasing the time interval from announcement to release of their phones for most of the world. I understand from what zomg said the Z2 should be launching in Canada in March as well... and I suppose who knows for the US. I do wish we could get clearer ideas of exactly when they'll be launching though, and what carriers they'll be on.

Ah well, one step at a time I suppose. If they're still in the process of gaining a foothold with North American carriers, I suppose it could be another couple of generations before we get launch info as quickly as we do with other major brands.

samven582

Well it seems Sony has been doing a pretty good job of decreasing the time interval from announcement to release of their phones for most of the world. I understand from what zomg said the Z2 should be launching in Canada in March as well... and I suppose who knows for the US. I do wish we could get clearer ideas of exactly when they'll be launching though, and what carriers they'll be on.

Ah well, one step at a time I suppose. If they're still in the process of gaining a foothold with North American carriers, I suppose it could be another couple of generations before we get launch info as quickly as we do with other major brands.

I agree. With the Galaxy S5 coming out in April to all 4 major US carriers, they are going to lose allot of sales.

Sprint announcement please.

My contract is up, and I'm staying with them for at least two more years so there's no sense in not getting it subsidized by them.

Qvoth

take note that they sell ps4s for around 640 SGD in singapore though
so in the USA maybe around 600 USD?

still that's really expensive....

outsidah

take note that they sell ps4s for around 640 SGD in singapore though
so in the USA maybe around 600 USD?

still that's really expensive....

$600 off contract is normal for the US. The thing is when will it release here and will it launch at that price.

vivftp

Damn, just browsed through the camera photo thread on XDA for the Z2 and must say I'm impressed with the improvements!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2673226

Overall very pleasing shots, and you can notice the improvements over the Z1. Of course a lot of that (all of that?) could be software related and might be ported over to the Z1 in a future update.

Also worth keeping in mind the pics are from a pre-production engineering unit. Can't wait for reviews using a final retail unit.

EDIT.

Just a couple of the pics I found nice looking:

Damn, just browsed through the camera photo thread on XDA for the Z2 and must say I'm impressed with the improvements!

Overall very pleasing shots, and you can notice the improvements over the Z1. Of course a lot of that (all of that?) could be software related and might be ported over to the Z1 in a future update.

Also worth keeping in mind the pics are from a pre-production engineering unit. Can't wait for reviews using a final retail unit.

EDIT.

What you've all been waiting for. Sound tests comparing the Z2 with the HTC One.

http://www.androidauthority.com/xperia-z2-vs-htc-one-z1-speakers-355632/

Wow. So good news on the imaging and sound quality fronts! :D

darkwing

EDIT.

it is indeed looking good....

wonder if its worth it to upgrade from the Note 2

vivftp

Random guess, but I would think it would involve a case where the wireless charging goes straight to the magnetic charging port on the side of the phone.

It is worth noting there was a rumor last year that Sony would be utilizing high speed wireless charging in their phones this year. Now this rumored case could just be it, but it is entirely likely the next flagship that will come in the second half of the year would have it built in rather than using a case.

Random guess, but I would think it would involve a case where the wireless charging goes straight to the magnetic charging port on the side of the phone.

It is worth noting there was a rumor last year that Sony would be utilizing high speed wireless charging in their phones this year. Now this rumored case could just be it, but it is entirely likely the next flagship that will come in the second half of the year would have it built in rather than using a case.

Yes, it seems the phone itself doesn't have the wireless charging capability built-in so you will need both the Sony WCR12 Wireless Charging Cover and Sony WCH10 Wireless Charging Plate to get it to work.

The rumor said that they were targeting the second half of 2014 for release so it could happen. Definitely something to look forward to for a new flagship.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/10/1...s-charging-in-late-2014-for-its-xperia-range/

It took Sony five months to release the Z1 in the US after its initial release.

I'm really starting to reconsider the Nexus 5 unless we get some news soon that they'll actually give a shit about the US market this time.

That, or if the HTC One (2014) camera doesn't suck all ass.

onken

Any word on a Z2 compact? Was just about to pull the trigger on a Z1 compact but prepared to wait a bit longer.

DBT85

Any word on a Z2 compact? Was just about to pull the trigger on a Z1 compact but prepared to wait a bit longer.

Z1 only just came out so probably 6 months away. The Z1 is an amazing phone. Really and truly. You won't be disappointed.

As much as I have soured on Apple, one of the things they do best is unveiling a product and then letting people actuLly buy the thing. The almost total media silence in regards to the phone and tablet launches is maddening.

SpecX

If Verizon gets this, then I found the next phone for my wife. I just bought a Note 3 over a month ago and then this gets announced. So jealous, but I will give Sony money if they make this a reality on Verizon's network.

Servbot24

Banned
I cracked my 4s the other day. Just the back side thankfully, but it has me eager to move on. I could wait for iPhone 6, but this looks pretty nice as well... Is there a major reason I should wait for iPhone 6? My contract ends in a couple weeks btw, and I'm probably going to switch carriers. Sprint has been fine but it has no coverage in my new office building.

I'm a little turned off by the 5.2" but I guess I'd get used to it.

Also any word on how much Z2 costs on contract?

I cracked my 4s the other day. Just the back side thankfully, but it has me eager to move on. I could wait for iPhone 6, but this looks pretty nice as well... Is there a major reason I should wait for iPhone 6? My contract ends in a couple weeks btw, and I'm probably going to switch carriers. Sprint has been fine but it has no coverage in my new office building.

I'm a little turned off by the 5.2" but I guess I'd get used to it.

Also any word on how much Z2 costs on contract?

As soon as anyone gets word any US carrier will officially get it.

P.S. I wouldn't hold my breath.

My Droid RAZR MAXX screen took a nasty spill couple weeks ago and I got the new MAXX as a replacement. But I'd really like to give this phone a try. Hopefully Sony begins to start bringing their phones to all the carriers in the US.

Seanbob11

Want this as an upgrade for my S3 in May but the UK pricing is so expensive. £99 up front and £41 a month for unlimited data and 600 minutes. When I got the S3 it was £32 a month and free upfront!

To top it off Three and now capping the tethering at 2GB a month.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
The camera looks so good.
I just recently got into the android world. I have a Nexus 7. Not so pleased with the camera but everything I like about it.

Maybe the Z2 would be for me.

Abraxas

I'm most likely moving countries this summer, and ill need a new phone. Been with Apple since the 3GS, but gotdamn this has me tempted. It all comes down to appearance and GUI for me. The Z2 wins on looks but I'm worried about its OS.

Based on the Z1, can you use these phones without a case?

I'm most likely moving countries this summer, and ill need a new phone. Been with Apple since the 3GS, but gotdamn this has me tempted. It all comes down to appearance and GUI for me. The Z2 wins on looks but I'm worried about its OS.

Based on the Z1, can you use these phones without a case?

Without a case? You mean how well would they fare with a drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom