• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy DJ

Operational speed wise is no difference from Z1. I do hate part of the Xperia UI where their left custom panel would pop out time and again. Can it be disabled?

It keeps popping out because it's a silly demo phone. After the first time on your phone, the side panel will only activate if you swipe for it.

diaspora

I can't wait for this to come to Canada.

tRTWqbL.jpg

If it's not available on Telus by mid-May I'm just getting the Z1.

Dommel

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and I've been hunting for this phone since I arrived last week. Just got back from down paying $100 with a guaranteed delivery of tomorrow.

They actually had purple & white in stock but I want the black one.

Here's hoping I actually can pick it up tommorow or at least before I fly back again on Friday.

Kyoufu

I'm due an upgrade first week in May, leaning towards this rather than the S5 and M8 but still undecided, help me GAF

I say wait for in-depth reviews and comparisons of all 3 devices. Or at least comparisons between the Z2 and M8, because there's no way in hell I'm getting another Samsung phone, especially when the S5 looks like a plastic piece of shit (aesthetically).

I'm thinking about this phone.. But, how's Sony doing with Android updates?

I've had the Xperia Z which came out in the UK in Feb 29th 2013, so little over a year. Bearing in mind that I'm tied to a contract and the phone was purchased through a network and thus updates takes longer, I've went from 4.1 to 4.3, very soon to be 4.4. I've also had at least three random UI updates from Sony.

So pretty good.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
If I buy this phone off contract online somewhere, will verizon play nice? Or am I just stuck with iphone 6 and the GS5?

Shahadan

edit2: the carriers in singapore also have it up for pre orders.
YrYTzwA.jpg

comes with free sony smartwatch 2

What the hell, are those the prices per month in the US?
Insane.

I have unlimited calls and sms for less than the equivalent of $39 in France.

Fezan

I know its a Z2 thread but did sony released T2 ultra or is it also yet to be released. quick google shows no reviews and say it has launched in india

outsidah

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and I've been hunting for this phone since I arrived last week. Just got back from down paying $100 with a guaranteed delivery of tomorrow.

They actually had purple & white in stock but I want the black one.

Here's hoping I actually can pick it up tommorow or at least before I fly back again on Friday.

How much was it?

kudoboi

Unboxing of the white Z2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZUn5i26p4

Veeeeeery tempted to go for the white rather than the black.

should be noted that those high quality noise cancellation earbuds/ earpieces and the docking station are not normally included. it was only included for those who pre ordered it in taiwan.

the regular set will not have the docking station and the earpieces/ buds would be the MH750/ generic model which looks like this

Edit: some countries might still get the noise cancelling earbuds

Kyoufu

should be noted that those high quality noise cancellation earbuds/ earpieces and the docking station is not normally included. it was only included for those who pre ordered it in taiwan.

the regular set will not have the docking station and the earpieces/ buds would be the generic one

That's disappointing. I want that dock. :(

I think the UK package has the noise cancelling earbuds included. Don't quote me on that though.

Dommel

Been playing around with it for about 3 hours now and don't regret spending so much money on it.

It's a great phone with an excellent screen, very fast and almost nothing to complain about.

Don't like the covers on the ports but it's the only way to get it water proof of course.

Bit on the heavy side compared to my old Galaxy Nexus but nothing I can't used to.

So far very happy with it.

Schrade

Been playing around with it for about 3 hours now and don't regret spending so much money on it.

It's a great phone with an excellent screen, very fast and almost nothing to complain about.

Don't like the covers on the ports but it's the only way to get it water proof of course.

Bit on the heavy side compared to my old Galaxy Nexus but nothing I can't used to.

Take some photos with it and link them!

Windam

Scaley member
I can't wait for this to come to Canada.

tRTWqbL.jpg

If it's not available on Telus by mid-May I'm just getting the Z1.

I know that feel. :( Pretty sure either Rogers or Bell will snatch it as a timed-exclusive at least. How long did it take the Z1 to come to Telus, again? I'm getting tired of the weak performance of Jelly Bean on my OG Galaxy Note i717, and the fact that custom ROMs are still unstable/will randomly reboot often. :/

SRG01

I know that feel. :( Pretty sure either Rogers or Bell will snatch it as a timed-exclusive at least. How long did it take the Z1 to come to Telus, again? I'm getting tired of the weak performance of Jelly Bean on my OG Galaxy Note i717, and the fact that custom ROMs are still unstable/will randomly reboot often. :/

I just posted earlier today that it's exclusive to Bell in May.

Windam

Scaley member
I just posted earlier today that it's exclusive to Bell in May.

Oh shit I missed that. Fuckin' hell. Hope the one sold at the Sony Store doesn't have any physical Bell branding at the least. Looks like I'll be staying with the OG Note 'til the end of my days! Can't afford to buy a phone brand-new off contract. :'(

Kyoufu

Amazon UK are giving £50 vouchers to those who pre-order this. So effectively you can use that voucher on the magnetic charging dock and the Sony Z2 case.

That makes it a better deal than the one offered in Taiwan.

Anyone know when the Z2 tablet will be released? Reviews are starting to pop up online and so far the consensus is that its pretty damn good.

kudoboi

Sony is marketing the phone pretty hard over here. They took over the cover page and the first page of the Straits Times Technology newspaper which is the first time i've actually seen that happened. I also saw a advertisement for this phone at a bus stop and on a taxi before the phone even launched.

Can you link some of the reviews here.

here's a few

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z2-Tablet-Review_id3629
http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/tablets/2014-04/sony-xperia-z2-review
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xperia-z2-tablet/

More impressions please?

How big is the phone in your hands?

Sacrimoni

Banned
Is there s decent comparison between this phone, the M8 and the S5

thinking of getting a new phone and cant decide between these

demented

For people that already got it or plan on getting it: what kind of protection do you plan on using on it? I like the way it looks and will feel bad about putting it in something but I know "I'll be careful" won't work, said that with every phone and no matter how safe you try to be with it it will fall (well at least for me). On my S3 I have back/side plastic protection thing and it saved my ass many times.

So now I was looking at pics of z2 and not sure what to get.. Not fan of those flip cases that cover it all and you have to open it, or that make it much more bulky..

Kyoufu

For people that already got it or plan on getting it: what kind of protection do you plan on using on it? I like the way it looks and will feel bad about putting it in something but I know "I'll be careful" won't work, said that with every phone and no matter how safe you try to be with it it will fall (well at least for me). On my S3 I have back/side plastic protection thing and it saved my ass many times.

So now I was looking at pics of z2 and not sure what to get.. Not fan of those flip cases that cover it all and you have to open it, or that make it much more bulky..

There are cases available for the Z1 that don't add much bulk and protect the sides and back. If I find any for the Z2 I'll post them here, but personally I think I'm not going to use a case. The phone is too sexy to cover up!

Z2 tablet anyone? Can't find any concrete information on the release date. Some links say it's already available in the UK. Can UKGAF confirm?

kudoboi

nothing for now. all the cases ive seen so far only seem to ruin the phone look

belvedere

Junior Butler
ugh not fair...Sony give us your phones in the US! <_>

I'm hoping it comes to AT&T somewhere down the line. I have a couple of months before I'm upgrade eligible but I'm not completely sold on the S5. I also don't know if I have the patience to wait until fall for the Nexus 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom