• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish they'd just release an Xperia Play 2. I just want emus on my phone, and real buttons to play it with. The first Xperia Play was really nice, but its specs are pretty outdated now.

kudoboi

I don't think we are going to see this stateside anytime soon.

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/sony-set-limited-xperia-z2-stock-launch-reports

Yeah there seems to be limited stock. The Singapore release was delayed to first week of April due to a similar reason too

Edit :http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-sony-xperia-z2-available-pre-order

Confirmed. Looks like if you are going to pre order without contract here, you can only get it in may. Free smartband though so that's cool I guess

edit2: the carriers in singapore also have it up for pre orders.
YrYTzwA.jpg

comes with free sony smartwatch 2

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't understand why Sony dropping on the US market last, are we that bad of a market for them?

Yes. Sony phones are much more popular in Japan, Asia and Europe.

Go watch Kaz Hirai's CES interveiw with Verge he made in 2013. He talked about that.

HigXx

There's going to be a shortage in the UK but "key partners" will still get it in April

Only found this out after I pre-ordered with EE today, £38/per month for 10GB 4G and unlimited minutes and texts with £90 upfront cost.

Desperately want rid of my Xperia S so hoping I'll get it soon!

Kyoufu

When are review units being sent? I want in-depth reviews of this phone so I can make my mind up about which phone to get.

Knoxcore

If I was in the market it would be between the HTC One M8 and the Xperia Z2. I'll have to hold them both to see which one I prefer. Owned the One X and have the One. Like Sense, but this year Sony engineered a great device.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
Damn so with this out of the picture for a few months at the very least... it looks like I will be going with the HTC One M8

My Droid Bionic really needs to be sent to pasture

At least Sony is trying to crack the US market now. And they have a real shot at being a strong contender in this market with what they've been coming up with.

Gibbo

just confirmed my appt to collect the phone on 5 apr. S4 has been giving me lots of issues the last few months so looking foward to the switch

Camera comparison test are popping up and once again the Z2 is a disappointment ...compare to the S5, G2 pro and even the m8 :( This really sucks cause I'm pretty disappointed with my Z1 camera and want to upgrade to the Z2.

Also someone on xda is saying that the z2 screen is not even as good as the Z ultra!....

Kyoufu

Camera comparison test are popping up and once again the Z2 is a disappointment ...compare to the S5, G2 pro and even the m8 :( This really sucks cause I'm pretty disappointed with my Z1 camera and want to upgrade to the Z2.

Also someone on xda is saying that the z2 screen is not even as good as the Z ultra!....

Are you talking about this comparison?

They're using default auto mode settings so It's not even using the full 20.7MP.

As for screen, how can it not be better than the Z Ultra screen? It uses IPS now. :s

"All cameras featured their default/auto settings for shooting, so your results may vary."

/confused

Will wait for the Erica Griffin review.

If you click the full res image the Z2 picture is the biggest.. Plus the the Z2 is the only 4:3 compare to the rest which are 16:9 because the manual 20mp is only available at 4:3

The Xperia Z2 image isn't as sharp as the others... Same behavior like the Z1.

Fezan

I am really getting tired of waiting for the release date. If any longer i may get s5 or may be wait for note 3 or next iphone

XBP

Any word on a compact version?

We still have no word on the 'complete' version (haven't heard anything from sony since the announcement) so a compact version shouldn't really be expected at this point. Maybe by the end of this year.

kudoboi

It went out of stock even for pre order in Singapore. Looks like the closest would be May now. I might jump to the S5 or M8 if that's the case :/

edit: tried the z2 is stores today. there really wasn't any difference from the z1 even in terms of performance of apps. i tried both phones side by side and they felt exactly the same. the performance differences only becomes apparent once you play a high end game from gameloft or EA where he FPS difference pretty huge. there was some stuttering of asphalt 8 on the z1 while it ran butter smooth on the z2

gogogow

I am really getting tired of waiting for the release date. If any longer i may get s5 or may be wait for note 3 or next iphone

I'm getting tired too, but the difference with you is that I actually pre-ordered (free Sony headphones!) the Z2. The original release date was mid April. Last week I got an email telling me the release of the Z2 has been delayed to 1st or 2nd week of May at the earliest.

WTH Sony! Why make so few??!! Way to let people make the easy decision to go for the S5 or HTC One M8.

Kyoufu

I'm getting tired too, but the difference with you is that I actually pre-ordered (free Sony headphones!) the Z2. The original release date was mid April. Last week I got an email telling me the release of the Z2 has been delayed to 1st or 2nd week of May at the earliest.

WTH Sony! Why make so few??!! Way to let people make the easy decision to go for the S5 or HTC One M8.

One of their component suppliers couldn't produce enough so they have shortages, apparently.

It went out of stock even for pre order in Singapore. Looks like the closest would be May now. I might jump to the S5 or M8 if that's the case :/

edit: tried the z2 is stores today. there really wasn't any difference from the z1 even in terms of performance of apps. i tried both phones side by side and they felt exactly the same. the performance differences only becomes apparent once you play a high end game from gameloft or EA where he FPS difference pretty huge. there was some stuttering of asphalt 8 on the z1 while it ran butter smooth on the z2

Any impression of the screen and camera compare to the Z1?

ThisOne

How certain are we that this isn't coming to Verizon? I'm probably going to be getting a new phone in the next couple weeks and am leaning toward the HTC One but may wait for this if it's coming to Verizon.

longdi

Banned
Any impression of the screen and camera compare to the Z1?

camera felt the same in terms of responsiveness.

the screen is definitely a step up, it maintains the high definition whereas Z1 would grey out at off angles, but it kind of lack the punchy look of HTC or Apple phones, Sony must have upped the brightness calibration too much.

Operational speed wise is no difference from Z1. I do hate part of the Xperia UI where their left custom panel would pop out time and again. Can it be disabled?

Z2 is visibly taller than Z1 but it is also lighter, the bezel are shrunk down to a very acceptable aesthetics level, so it does not "look" too big. It felt better in my hands too, almost..i think Z2 front and back panel are indented inwards more and you can feel the bezel cutting your palms at times. The new speakers dots are definitely much needed improvement over the grills which were easily bent

Z2 is really sweet and cant wait for next week to get one. I do hope Sony continue these improvements with Z2Compact, make it a 4.5" phone, you know due to those soft buttons taking up dem screen estates.

vivftp

The dots at the bottom of the phone aren't the speakers, those are mic holes. The speakers are on the front of the phone at the bottom and top. They're barely noticable unless you're looking for them.

gogogow

Amazon says 14th for me :(

Was tempted by the white model but went with the black. Still feel a little indecisive though.

I pre-ordered the black one. Wanted the white one first, thought it would look similar to the phone I have now, the Xperia SP, but it's totally different. Front is black, the aluminum strip around the phone and the back is white. The back looks nice, but from the front it just looks a bit weird/off. Especially where the speaker grills are. You won't have that "problem" with the black Z2.

wz19-900x675.jpg

xperia_z2_cover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom