• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

May I ask why? They haven't had the best history. From bad screens to awful issues with their older models. I'm not sure where the immediate love comes from.

The older Xperias were awful, I had an S which had the worst software I have ever experienced on a smartphone. The V was a nice phone but the battery life was poor.

The Xperia Z had a bad screen, camera, the speakers sucked and the plastic framing was ugly.

The Z1 fixed the majority of the issues I had with the Z and the Z2 looks even better, just a pity they can't get them released in enough numbers.

Credit where credit is due, they've improved so much in the last 18 months.

Bit-Bit

So what's the full retail price of this phone? Now that Samsung and HTC have both released their flagship, I've decided that the Z2 is the sexiest of the bunch.

Now to actually find one and buy it.

The Xperia Z had a bad screen, camera, the speakers sucked and the plastic framing was ugly.

I respectfully disagree. IMO, if there was one thing about the subsequent Z-series that I lament, it was that their move to a metal band killed the monolithic pure black frame design that the Z had.

I loved how the entirety of the Z was pure black, with the exception of the power button. The subsequent Z-series improved its quality, but they added the metal trimmings that really lost its pure black slab look.

Even more so on Z2 than Z1 now, since even they don't even colour the metal bands now.

longdi

Banned
The older Xperias were awful, I had an S which had the worst software I have ever experienced on a smartphone. The V was a nice phone but the battery life was poor.

The Z1 fixed the majority of the issues I had with the Z and the Z2 looks even better, just a pity they can't get them released in enough numbers.

Credit where credit is due, they've improved so much in the last 18 months.

I agree with you. The older Xperias were ugly and plagued with performance issues (up till Z1/ZU).

Z1 had a terrible screen. Z1C was an almost there but since it followed Z1 design philosophy, there were some niggling issues.

Z2 is the one for Sony imo. Take it in your hands and play with it, it is up there with the best.

longdi

Banned
@longdi

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Do you have access to the S5 as well? How does 4k recording fare on that?

Can both of you also please comment on the headphone out audio quality of the Z2? Reviews suggest that both the M8 and S5 have excellent headphone out sound quality (m8 being somewhat better) but none of the Z2 reviews have said anything about this.

Just let S5 in stores record 4K video for 5 mins and it did not shut down nor get as warm as Z2 or M8 (60fps). :(

Just tested Z2 headphone out and it sounds pretty good with HD25-II, it is less airy and more bassy than my SB ZX sound card, and it plays the small details well enough. Im not too much of a headphone guy, but i wont mind using Z2 as a music player.

Not sure about the M8 or S5 headphone out...

Vodafone have launch exclusivity on the Z2 in Ireland. I've been into three Vodafone stores now, two have said they will have the Z2 on the 25th of April, the other said they haven't been given a release date.

The two that said they were getting it on the 25th said they hadn't heard of any supply issues.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

I ordered with Vodaphone UK and have had a text saying its on its way to the shop I asked it to be sent too.

I am not gonna pick it up though as I need unlimited data. Vodaphone offer of 4GB per month is just not cutting it.

Staying with Three but they not getting Z2 in till 3rd May.

kudoboi

I am not gonna pick it up though as I need unlimited data. Vodaphone offer of 4GB per month is just not cutting it.

they don't even have unlimited data here. i end up using 9GB every month and have to pay $70 or 33 GBP extra every month excluding the $49 or 23GBP monthly contract and the phone which was $569 or 270 GBP. Really hate how all 3 carriers don't offer unlimited data

demented

I'm gonna wait by the end of May, if it's not out here (and doesn't appear it will be) guess I'll have to go with HTC, but that camera..

I got nothing but time so I will wait for the Z2. If the price drops overseas a bit, then I will bite but until then, gotta have patience.

they don't even have unlimited data here. i end up using 9GB every month and have to pay $70 or 33 GBP extra every month excluding the $49 or 23GBP monthly contract and the phone which was $569 or 270 GBP. Really hate how all 3 carriers don't offer unlimited data

yeah we only have one carrier that offers unlimited data on 4G.

them charges you pay are crazy dude..

Z2 owners, the Z2 will be launched in my country by the end of the month. It'll cost an equivalent USD 750, whereas the Z1 Compact costs around USD 500. Is it worth getting the Z2 over the Z1 considering their specs? The Z2 is 50% more expensive than the Compact, after all, and the spec increase seems incremental. Same camera, too, although I'm not sure the Z1 family will get 4K recording via a firmware update. That seems to be the only advantage the Z2 has over the Compact (size and resolution are subjective), since they also seem to have the same display panel.

kudoboi

Z2 owners, the Z2 will be launched in my country by the end of the month. It'll cost an equivalent USD 750, whereas the Z1 Compact costs around USD 500. Is it worth getting the Z2 over the Z1 considering their specs? The Z2 is 50% more expensive than the Compact, after all, and the spec increase seems incremental. Same camera, too, although I'm not sure the Z1 family will get 4K recording via a firmware update. That seems to be the only advantage the Z2 has over the Compact (size and resolution are subjective), since they also seem to have the same display panel.

3 GB Ram compared to 2GB Ram in Z1C
4K Video recording
1080P Resolution/ Higher PPI (subjective) compared to 720P on Z1C
Larger Screen Size (subjective)
Dual Front Speakers
snapdragon 801 compared to snapdragon 800 on Z1C
3200 mAh battery compared to 2300 mAh on Z1C

however, if you find that those are not worth the $150 extra, then just go for the Z1 compact

Dibbz

GET THE Z2.

Even as a Z1 owner who rationalized that Z2 upgrades were not worth the upgrade, I had a few seconds of that rationality completely turned upside down when I held a Z2 for the first time.

It's really, really hard to tell from the outside, but the improvements of Z2 over Z1 is very noticable the moment you hold it. The superior metal banding quality that makes it more premium to hold, the glass front-back no longer burdened by the layer of protection, the superior screen/sounds.

Unless the Z1 somehow happens to be much, much, much cheaper, buy the Z2. Easily a top-tier phone.

Guess I will have to wait to try and see one in the flesh. I did go a view a Z1 in a phone store yesterday. Looked really smart, I thought it was the Z2 at first because it was pretty big but damn if the Z2 is much bigger than that, it might be a problem.

List the current gripes you have with the Z1.

I don't have a Z1 just wanted to know if anyone that has one, had any issues with it.

I've had a Z1s since February, and I haven't noticed any scratches yet. Don't usually have keys or loose change in my pocket, though.

I'd recommend just waiting a bit for the Z2. The screen improvement, stereo speakers and other small improvements will definitely be worth it if you're going to keep the phone for a while. The screen in particular is not great on the Z1s.
Z1 screen seemed pretty good but I was only checking it out in passing but my pockets are usually full of something so it could be an issue if the screen is pretty sensitive to scratches.

How quick do phones these days drop in price. Would it take something like 6 months for the Z2 to drop in price from release?

catmincer

Guess I will have to wait to try and see one in the flesh. I did go a view a Z1 in a phone store yesterday. Looked really smart, I thought it was the Z2 at first because it was pretty big but damn if the Z2 is much bigger than that, it might be a problem.

I don't have a Z1 just wanted to know if anyone that has one, had any issues with it.

Z1 screen seemed pretty good but I was only checking it out in passing but my pockets are usually full of something so it could be an issue if the screen is pretty sensitive to scratches.

How quick do phones these days drop in price. Would it take something like 6 months for the Z2 to drop in price from release?

Depends on the country. I bought my Lumia 1520 about 6 weeks ago for $799 and now they're $680.

Same as my old Z, I paid $700 for it in September, now they're $400.

darkwing

Finally saw the S5, man that phone is tiny and light compared to the Z2, but not surprising because of the materials being used, don't think I can go back to a plasticky phone though lol but I have to wait 2 months in my country to get this :(

kudoboi

had no idea you could even use a pen or pencil to write on the screen. Another very neat feature. the previous Sony phone that had this was the Z Ultra and the Z1( had to root AFAIK) and also the galaxy S5
excuse my horrible handwriting
nWGEJPI.png

spwolf

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/xperia-z2-could-be-faced-with-long-delays/#!EAfYJ

Z2 ...expecting further delays for up to 7 months?
Did Sony just dropped the ball?

Yes get the Z2 whilst stocks last. Z2 is way better than Z1 as a premium smartphone. I wont consider Z1 at all even for cheaps.

phone got weeks of delay not "months"... people in UK already started receiving them... Here in Eastern Europe Sony says it is coming in May... so SGS5 will have few weeks advantage.

As to Engadget review, it was pretty good review... problem is that they want iPhone not Android, so in their eyes it is always too big.

Otherwise, battery life is stunning on this phone.

had no idea you could even use a pen or pencil to write on the screen. Another very neat feature. the previous Sony phone that had this was the Z Ultra and the Z1( had to root AFAIK) and also the galaxy S5
excuse my horrible handwriting

Thanks! Believe it or not, this was the clincher for my deciding to get a Z2 once it launches here. Thanks for your other input, too-- those reasons, plus the pencil one, are worth the USD 250 difference to me.

Mokubba

Wow, I thought it didn't have that feature or is it the Tablet Z2 that doesn't have pencil support.

It wouldn't make sense if the tablet didn't have the function but the phone does.

EGM92

still shitty that sony is having production problems. I really want this, but I might have to settle for an Oppo Find 7 or the new OnePlus One if it doesn't come out in Canada by mid May. Also being only on Bell is a straight 'Fuck you' considering I'm trying to get rid them :\ guess I might have to buyout the phone at a Sony store and get it to work on some other carrier.

kudoboi

Pencils works perfectly fine but there isn't any official support. You would have to download evernote to use handwriting for notes

Edit: there is Sony sketches so I guess they do support it in a way

So the problem is production supply, and not with the phone itself?

I was gonna get a Z1 in July but ill just get this instead if its out

Vitanimus

So I managed to snag a Z2 with Unlimited texts, calls and 5GB of 4G internet... for £33pm. It seems a bit too good to be true. Is there anything obvious I may have missed?

Raknar

Neo Member
Me too, my security check failed which sucks. All the cheapest tariffs use the website I got rejected from.

What network was this with? EE are the only ones that currently provide 4G down here in Plymouth, so they seem like my only option. I would have stayed with Vodafone, but I've been told there won't be 4G here for at least 6 - 9 months.

Vitanimus

What network was this with? EE are the only ones that currently provide 4G down here in Plymouth, so they seem like my only option. I would have stayed with Vodafone, but I've been told there won't be 4G here for at least 6 - 9 months.

It was with O2, however it was an internal security check from mobiles.co.uk that I apparently failed; they specifically told me I would still be able to use O2, so that kinda sucks. The nearest thing I can get is the same tarriff but pay an upfront cost of £150. :/

Raknar

Neo Member
It was with O2, however it was an internal security check from mobiles.co.uk that I apparently failed; they specifically told me I would still be able to use O2, so that kinda sucks. The nearest thing I can get is the same tarriff but pay an upfront cost of £150. :/

Shame, as that was a good deal.

I just got off the phone with Vodafone. I told them that EE were offering much better deals and asked what they could do for a returning customer. He said he can't offer deals on a phone that's only available for preorder, and that he would have to speak to a manager.

He came and offered Unlimited calls and texts, 12GB Data (Unlimited for 3 months), 24 months of Spotify or Sky sports mobile and £0 handset cost for £42 a month. (Basically the £57 deal they offer to new customers on the website).

Downsides being that they won't have any stock until the beginning of May; and that I will have to wait up to 6 months for the 4G mast to be live in this city. Pretty happy with that, and it saves me failing a credit check as I have just moved flat.

Vitanimus

Shame, as that was a good deal.

I just got off the phone with Vodafone. I told them that EE were offering much better deals and asked what they could do for a returning customer. He said he can't offer deals on a phone that's only available for preorder, and that he would have to speak to a manager.

He came and offered Unlimited calls and texts, 12GB Data (Unlimited for 3 months), 24 months of Spotify or Sky sports mobile and £0 handset cost for £42 a month. (Basically the £57 deal they offer to new customers on the website).

Downsides being that they won't have any stock until the beginning of May; and that I will have to wait up to 6 months for the 4G mast to be live in this city. Pretty happy with that, and it saves me failing a credit check as I have just moved flat.

That's kind of amazing. It's more frustrating that I keep having trouble with my bank with this one website, but they've got the best deals going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom